PDA

View Full Version : *** Official OU/KU Game Thread ***

Pages : 1 [2]

SoonerGOP
2/5/2006, 03:10 PM
Can't believe this. ****.

Newbomb Turk
Where have all the Kelvin haters been the 5 games before this?

OUthunder
Watching OU basketball is like changing a ****tay diaper... not a lot of fun.

TripleOption14
Its not the coach either. Its the horrible guard play that continues to plague this team.The guards have been awful ever since Hollis and Quannas left.

oumartin
2/5/2006, 03:11 PM
Billy Tubbs was great for time. he ran his course. Same with Sampson

OUthunder
2/5/2006, 03:12 PM
Its not the coach either. Its the horrible guard play that continues to plague this team. since The guards have been awful ever since Hollis and Quannas left.

TRUE

Ruuuuuufus
Kansas got away with alot of stuff inside, but it's nothing that we haven't been getting away with the last 2 years.

birddog

They've been waiting for something like this.

TripleOption14
2/5/2006, 03:14 PM
OU's guards need to learn how to manage a fvcking game when your up by 15 pts!!!

TopDawg
Well, if your big men are completely surrounded by 5 people, you'd think they'd be coached to kick the ball outside. You'd think.

So are you saying you think Sampson hasn't coached them to do that?

Look, I'm not saying that Sampson gets a free pass with this game, but it's ridiculous to claim that it's ALL on Sampson.

Eielson
Well, if your big men are completely surrounded by 5 people, you'd think they'd be coached to kick the ball outside. You'd think.
You get coached to go up because you are going to get fouled and that is exactly what happened. The refs just weren't calling it.

Rhino
Yeah, we shouldn't have let it get down to that. But save that coachspeak for a coach.

The way Gray was getting mugged every time down the court in the last two minutes was unbelievable.

"Let the kids play", but call the game the way it's meant to be called.

SoonerDood
2/5/2006, 03:15 PM
waiting for today. and unfortunately they were right. that's 2 games we've blown on the road. and Aggy Lite is going to play the game of their lives on Wednesday.

PrideTrombone
So are you saying you think Sampson hasn't coached them to do that?

Look, I'm not saying that Sampson gets a free pass with this game, but it's ridiculous to claim that it's ALL on Sampson.

Sure didn't look like he had. Taj/Kevin didn't even LOOK to the outside.

Cam
You must have missed my debate with one of the mods earlier this week...

I'm not a KS hater, just would like to see the program progress. Just getting tires of the same **** year in and year out.

Today was a classic example of KS coached team. Did the refs let stuff go, sure. Were they the reason we lost, nope. It's not all on KS's shoulders, but he's got to carry most of the load. He's the one telling the kids what to do. For some reason, I'll never figure out why he tells them to slow the game down when the up tempo is what's gotten them a double digit lead.

King Crimson
2/5/2006, 03:16 PM
I agree with Rhino.

TopDawg
2/5/2006, 03:17 PM
Sure didn't look like he had. Taj/Kevin didn't even LOOK to the outside.

Well maybe he hasn't. If you want to put some money on it, I'd be happy to take the other side. ;)

Cam
2/5/2006, 03:18 PM
The way Gray was getting mugged every time down the court in the last two minutes was unbelievable.

"Let the kids play", but call the game the way it's meant to be called.
I agree 100%. When you can hear the hand slaps on the tv, you know it's more than "just letting them play".

oumartin
who recruits these poor guards?

TripleOption14
Since guards have to be like QB's on the basketball floor....if OU's guards played QB on the football team they would be worse than Bomar was this year. The only difference is Bomar actually learned as the season went on these guys are still making mistakes that high school players make.

oumartin
2/5/2006, 03:20 PM
imagine where recruiting is going to go when they take the phone away from kelvin!

MI Sooner
2/5/2006, 03:23 PM
How can anyone not blame Sampson for our consistent offensive struggles? He's the one thing that's been consistent over the years.

Unless we're shooting well from outside, we can't get it going. That's particularly frustrating this year, when we have some post players.

What I still can't comprehend is the offense we run when it's crunch time and we really need a bucket. Whether it was Nolan Johnson or Terrell Everett, we give it to our best offensive player and try to let him create, instead of running a set play or trying to get in into the post. This almost invariably leads to an out of control running shot or turnover. What really cracks me up, is that we often run this "play" out of a timeout. It's like Bob Stoops calling a timeout to set up a key 4th down play, and then just saying, "Get open."

As I've said before, I doubt we could get a better coach than Kelvin. We're not a Top 10 program, so we'd struggle to get a Top 10 coach. Kelvin's in the next teir down. A good, but not great coach. It's just frustrating to see us have the same weakness year after year.

King Crimson
2/5/2006, 03:24 PM
I agree 100%. When you can hear the hand slaps on the tv, you know it's more than "just letting them play".

not only that, but we had guys lying on the floor about half of our O possessions in the last 5 minutes. maybe some of its' flopping, some of it.....maybe.

i bet Gray was fouled 10 times in the last 5 minutes. he made the right play, you take it up strong and go to the line. but, he never went to the line. we shot exactly ZERO bonus FT's that game.

oumartin
2/5/2006, 03:25 PM
blame kelvin for that offense. his offense is simple. either work it inside to a double covered guy and turn it over or run 32 seconds of shot clock and put up an off balanced prayer. that leads to missed shots.

GottaHavePride
2/5/2006, 03:26 PM
I'm not a KS hater, just would like to see the program progress. Just getting tires of the same **** year in and year out.

Today was a classic example of KS coached team. Did the refs let stuff go, sure. Were they the reason we lost, nope. It's not all on KS's shoulders, but he's got to carry most of the load. He's the one telling the kids what to do. For some reason, I'll never figure out why he tells them to slow the game down when the up tempo is what's gotten them a double digit lead.

Exactly. I like Kelvin, he's a good guy, and we seem to be a fairly steady #15-20 type of team, but until we figure out how not to do what we did today, we won't be any better than that.

TripleOption14
2/5/2006, 03:28 PM
The problem is EASILY fixed is what drives me up the wall. Go out and get a REAL PG!!! Not one who is 5 feet tall and a defensive liability and not one who is 130 lbs. soaking wet and can't get to the hole because of it! A real PG! Doesn't even have to be a blue chipper because those guys don't come to OU for BBall. A nice tier 2or3 good size true pg!!

Eielson
2/5/2006, 03:29 PM
are you seriously cutting down Johnson?

MI Sooner
2/5/2006, 03:30 PM
re: Gray taking the ball up strong...

In general, you're better off attacking the basket. One exception is when you're on the baseline and the backboard is behind you. You're not going to get many calls jumping backwards into two deferenders who are standing there with their arms straight in the air. Gray did this more than once.

Ruuuuuufus
2/5/2006, 03:32 PM
Johnson is a nice player but I too really thought that Godbold should have been in there the last three minutes, especially since Everett was basically running the PG as it was. AJ had a nice dish to Bookout there but he had an open three look that he passed up on which ultimately resulted in the shot clock violation and he doesn't provide the kind of defensive help that Godbold does.

BarryBnds
2/5/2006, 03:49 PM
who runs off our good guards and recruits these poor guards?

Fixed.

oumartin
2/5/2006, 03:55 PM
i'm not saying our guards are poor, but if you guys wanna blame them for poor decisions you are saying they are poor guards. comes down to who brings these players in and who develops them.

Eielson
2/5/2006, 05:01 PM
cutting down OU isn't going to make us like them anymore. It is pointless. Could we just stop?