PDA

View Full Version : Tell me I did the right thing

85Sooner
2/5/2006, 12:53 PM
Well today I said goodbye to my Yallow naped Amazon parrot which I have had for 15 years.

He was always loud, but since I work so much and My wife is scared of him he has not had alot of attention in the past couple years. I felt he would be better off somewhere else. After much searching and discovery that no one was going to buy him, I found a rescue sanctuary that has over 300 birds ( including some females for him). Its a really nice outdoor area ( he has always been a pet bird and this will be quite a different environment). I did not want to give him to just anybody because there are alot of folks (it turns out including me) WHO DIDN'T REALIZE when I was 20 that these birds live 75 plus years, they are loud and they do attach to one person and demand alot of time. So, if anyone is thinking about an exotic pet like this be aware it is a major lifetime commitment.

We now have a 3 yr old and a newborn and he will bite if given a chance . He used to love everyone when I carried him around but that stopped when I metr my wife. She was scared of him and I understand, they can be intimidating. So it will be safer.

Did I do the right thing? Its hard to let go of something you've cared for for 15 years.

fadada1
2/5/2006, 01:00 PM
I found a rescue sanctuary that has over 300 birds ( including some females for him).
you did the right thing. poor fella has never had any "tail".:D

do they let you visit him? i know having a bird is tough. i've even heard of people putting them in their will, because they out-live their owners.

best wishes. hopefully it will take some of the stress off you - spend more time with the wife and kid.

85Sooner
2/5/2006, 01:01 PM
you did the right thing. poor fella has never had any "tail".:D

do they let you visit him? i know having a bird is tough. i've even heard of people putting them in their will, because they out-live their owners.

best wishes. hopefully it will take some of the stress off you - spend more time with the wife and kid.

Thanks

jrsooner
2/5/2006, 01:07 PM
We now have a 3 yr old and a newborn and he will bite if given a chance . He used to love everyone when I carried him around but that stopped when I metr my wife. She was scared of him and I understand, they can be intimidating. So it will be safer.

Did I do the right thing? Its hard to let go of something you've cared for for 15 years.You did the right thing...kids come first. We're in the same situation but with my first dog that I got about 5 years ago. For some reason she is growling at my kids for no reason (at random intervals). We finally got out of the boys that they "mistreated" her one day while playing in the backyard, looong details. Now we have to train it out of her or get rid of her. The boys were crushed when they found out about it. Best dog and protector a family could have, but the kids come first.

Soonerbabeinbama
2/5/2006, 01:11 PM
You did the right thing. I know it's hard to say goodbye to a "friend" you've had for 15 years. Any kind of pet is a responsibility - especially an "exotic" pet. I have dogs, cats and two lizards. The lizards are a lot of upkeep. You really need to know what you are getting into before you purchase exotic pets. Your parrrot will be happy and your family will be happy. You did what you had to do. I know you'll miss him though. That was just one of those tough decisions you have to make in life sometimes.

olevetonahill
2/5/2006, 01:46 PM
You did
Sounds like he will be happy there

BajaOklahoma
2/5/2006, 02:43 PM
You did the right thing. A hard choice, but you did what is best for him.

SoonerBorn68
2/5/2006, 03:11 PM
If he could whistle or sing Boomer Sooner, I might have had to think a little harder. :D

No regrets dude. You did what was best for both your family & the bird.

proud gonzo
2/5/2006, 04:14 PM
Yes you did. I have a cockatoo and a lot of experience with exotic birds (i've worked with them at the sedgwick county zoo for 5-6 years) and the biggest problem with people buying pet birds of that sort is they dont' understand the lifespan and the care and attention these birds demand. Seeing a bird in a petstore or at a zoo is a far different experience than having one in your home.

Unless the parrot is very docile, it isn't a good idea to have one around small children. Likewise, if your wife wasn't comfortable with it that's a problem. The bird needs to be part of a loving flock. And if it hasn't been getting much attention, it's better off somewhere else.

I'm glad you didn't just sell/give it to anyone and tried tto make a good choice, and I think the place you described sounds wonderful. It will probably take your bird a while to adjust, but I'm sure he'll fit in happily. Parrots are very social (especially amazons) so this will probably be a better environment for him anyway.

85Sooner
2/5/2006, 04:38 PM
Yes you did. I have a cockatoo and a lot of experience with exotic birds (i've worked with them at the sedgwick county zoo for 5-6 years) and the biggest problem with people buying pet birds of that sort is they dont' understand the lifespan and the care and attention these birds demand. Seeing a bird in a petstore or at a zoo is a far different experience than having one in your home.

Unless the parrot is very docile, it isn't a good idea to have one around small children. Likewise, if your wife wasn't comfortable with it that's a problem. The bird needs to be part of a loving flock. And if it hasn't been getting much attention, it's better off somewhere else.

I'm glad you didn't just sell/give it to anyone and tried tto make a good choice, and I think the place you described sounds wonderful. It will probably take your bird a while to adjust, but I'm sure he'll fit in happily. Parrots are very social (especially amazons) so this will probably be a better environment for him anyway.
THanks for the reassurance. I just felt Like I was abandoning him. He has been pampered and that will surely stop. I just didn't have enough time.

Jerk
2/5/2006, 04:51 PM
You did the right thing...kids come first. We're in the same situation but with my first dog that I got about 5 years ago. For some reason she is growling at my kids for no reason (at random intervals). We finally got out of the boys that they "mistreated" her one day while playing in the backyard, looong details. Now we have to train it out of her or get rid of her. The boys were crushed when they found out about it. Best dog and protector a family could have, but the kids come first.

The dog is going to lose because of something that is the childrens' fault?

Not right.

I'd keep the dog and put the kids in a kennel, but that is just me.

My dog comes first. He is numba.one. The dude who messes with Brodee gets "one in the head, two in the chest."

MamaMia
2/5/2006, 05:12 PM
85Sooner, you did the right thing.

jrsooner, it sounds as if your dog has been traumatised, by no fault of her own. Maybe the fair and safe thing for all concerned would be to find her a different home?

proud gonzo
2/5/2006, 06:00 PM
THanks for the reassurance. I just felt Like I was abandoning him. He has been pampered and that will surely stop. I just didn't have enough time.
true, he won't be pampered anymore, but he'll be around other birds and he'll be outside. birdies LOVE being outside. he'll be so happy to fly around, he won't mind being there after a while ;)

jrsooner
2/5/2006, 07:09 PM
The dog is going to lose because of something that is the childrens' fault?
Not right.I totally agree. The kids are very "repentant" right now. :) She has been very much in control of her responses to the kids. I don't expect otherwise from Penny. It's just been happening for the past month. We can retrain her (now that we know what happened), but it will take some time. IF, and that's a big IF, we can't then we'll call the breeder, since he has stated any Aussies he sells, he'll take back and find a home for.

jrsooner
2/5/2006, 07:11 PM
jrsooner, it sounds as if your dog has been traumatised, by no fault of her own. Maybe the fair and safe thing for all concerned would be to find her a different home?I'm giving her and the kids a chance. She's too good of a dog not to give her the chance. We've got a handle on it now, and will see what comes out of it.

sanantoniosooner
2/5/2006, 07:16 PM
hey 85-

Does this mean you'll quit sounding like a parrot regarding ENA?:D

Norm In Norman
2/5/2006, 10:29 PM
You did the right thing by giving him up. You probably did the wrong thing by getting him in the first place, but you probably didn't know it. My mom has a yellow naped amazon and he is awesome. Of course she got him after I was out of the house and did a lot of research beforehand. I'll end up with him when she dies, which will be OK with me. he's part of the family.

RacerX
2/5/2006, 11:17 PM
You did the right thing.