PDA

View Full Version : Warren Moon, John Madden...

mrowl
2/4/2006, 07:44 PM
What have they ever done to deserve a HOF vote???

I know Moon has all of the CFL titles, but those mean crap really... And John Madden has only given us BOOM! And he wasn't going in on his announcer duties, just NFL...

Cam
2/4/2006, 07:45 PM
John Madden has the highest winning percentage during the regular season of any NFL coach. Can't really fault that one. Some of the others...

Big Red Ron
2/4/2006, 07:52 PM
Warren Moon is certainly one of the top thirty QB's to ever play. I'd say he's hof worthy. There are worse in there now.

mrowl
2/4/2006, 07:54 PM
but he never got to the HOF finals in the 80's, and it took a senior nomination...

I contend that the ONLY reason he is in now is because of the EA Sports empire, and the announcing. Which is what he was not nominated for.

His playoff record was 9-7... blah...

And Moon, if you blow a 30 something point lead in a AFC championship, you should NEVER be allowed in the HOF.

Big Red Ron
2/4/2006, 07:58 PM
9-7 isn't bad. He played in sixteen playoff games. He kicked *** and took names just to get there.

I have no problem with him or Madden.

jk the sooner fan
2/4/2006, 09:07 PM
but he never got to the HOF finals in the 80's, and it took a senior nomination...

I contend that the ONLY reason he is in now is because of the EA Sports empire, and the announcing. Which is what he was not nominated for.

And Moon, if you blow a 30 something point lead in a AFC championship, you should NEVER be allowed in the HOF.

did Moon himself blow the lead? or the defense?

critical_phil
2/4/2006, 09:19 PM
did Moon himself blow the lead? or the defense?

maybe Frank Reich belongs........

BeetDigger
2/9/2006, 10:00 AM
John Madden has the highest winning percentage during the regular season of any NFL coach. Can't really fault that one. Some of the others...

But he has a relatively short coaching tenure. Some candidates have been left out because, in spite of having dominant stats, they didn't play for a lot of years. I know that this rule didn't apply to Gale Sayers or Lynn Swann, and now John Madden, but it seemed to apply to other candidates over the years. HOF voting seems influenced by how the voters like someone as much as by how relatively great their stats are.

Sooner_Bob
2/9/2006, 10:07 AM
Ken Stabler . . . Bob Hayes . . . those are guys that should be in the HOF.

Sooner04
2/9/2006, 11:23 AM
Moon and Madden are both very deserving nominees. Madden's Raiders were awesome. Not many people were beating the Steelers back then, otherwise he would've won more Super Bowls.

Moon was a hell of a QB. End of story. It's the Pro Football Hall of Fame, so all of his CFL statistics carry some clout.

jk the sooner fan
2/9/2006, 11:26 AM
its kind of hard to argue keeping Moon out, considering where he ranks on the all time passing list.....certainly not because of one game where the defense gave up a lead after he put up 30+ points....

its not the "hall of how many championships you won"

AllAboutThe'O'
2/9/2006, 04:33 PM

Dick Vitale is in the Basketball Hall of Fame largely because of his announcing duties. He was a decent, but not great, coach at the college level and was a bust as an NBA coach.
Plus, Madden sort of revolutionized the role of TV football analyst and has become more of a household name as football ambassador than he was as a coach.
And he was a pretty darn good coach if you ask me. He just had the misfortune of playing in the same era as the great Steelers and Dolphins teams. The Raiders were right up there with those teams.

BeetDigger
2/9/2006, 06:11 PM
Dick Vitale is in the Basketball Hall of Fame largely because of his announcing duties. He was a decent, but not great, coach at the college level and was a bust as an NBA coach.
Plus, Madden sort of revolutionized the role of TV football analyst and has become more of a household name as football ambassador than he was as a coach.
And he was a pretty darn good coach if you ask me. He just had the misfortune of playing in the same era as the great Steelers and Dolphins teams. The Raiders were right up there with those teams.

The HOF is for football, not announcing. They have a broadcasters HOF for that. As far as him having to play against good teams, isn't that what the criteria is all about: relative merits?

I wouldn't have voted for him, but I don't get a vote. But since he's in, my only problem will be if they keep out other coaches who coached longer and had more SB appearances. Had Madden coached longer, his record would have gone down (besides, it was Al calling the shots anyway) as Denver and SD were on the upswing when he retired.

Speaking of retiring, when is Madden going to leave the booth? Personally, I am tired of him going through a long story while one or two plays go by with him waxing on about how many hamburgers he saw Nate Newton once eat. With Cosell we could blame in on the booze. With Madden it's senility.

mrowl
2/9/2006, 07:14 PM
Moon was a hell of a QB. End of story. It's the Pro Football Hall of Fame, so all of his CFL statistics carry some clout.

but the CFL has its own hall, thats where he belongs.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/10/2006, 02:03 AM
If that's the case, shouldn't Doug Flutie be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame? He's a CFL legend.