PDA

View Full Version : I am very disappointed with OU-Tulsa

Okla-homey
2/4/2006, 10:41 AM
They do not offer summer school courses for persons not in one of their degree programs.

This means when my kid comes home this summer, she'll be forced to take Chemistry II and US History at OSucc-Tulsa.

This also means I'll be forced to write a check to those bastages.

that is all.

OklahomaTrombone
2/4/2006, 10:41 AM
She can't take them at TCC?

Okla-homey
2/4/2006, 10:47 AM
She can't take them at TCC?

I thought of that too, but it seems her college at AU is kinda picky about awarding transfer credit from non-baccalaureate granting institutions.:mad:

yermom
2/4/2006, 10:48 AM
another vote for TCC here

unless she likes to pay more money :)

although, if she needs Chemistry II for her degree, it might not be the best place (i didn't take it there, but other courses weren't as rigorous as OU for sure)

i had US History through TCC, but it was a night class taught at my HS by a HS teacher... great class, but it's not exactly representative of the rest of them, i'm sure

yermom
2/4/2006, 10:49 AM
ahh, too slow

i guess the above things might be part of the reason they wouldn't take transfer credit ;)

OklahomaTrombone
2/4/2006, 10:51 AM
I thought of that too, but it seems her college at AU is kinda picky about awarding transfer credit from non-baccalaureate granting institutions.:mad:

What bastards.

yermom
2/4/2006, 10:52 AM
this from a Cow College? ;)

Okla-homey
2/4/2006, 10:56 AM

although, if she needs Chemistry II for her degree, it might not be the best place (i didn't take it there, but other courses weren't as rigorous as OU for sure)

i had US History through TCC, but it was a night class taught at my HS by a HS teacher... great class, but it's not exactly representative of the rest of them, i'm sure

She just needs ChemII for her degree, although I can't fathom how it could possibly be applicable to a BS-INDS degree -- perhaps when choosing building materials, finishes or adhesives? Ditto US History but I guess it could be applicable since there is often an element of historic preservation present in some facets of interior design.

Okla-homey
2/4/2006, 10:58 AM
this from a Cow College? ;)

no kidding. In Ala-flippin'-bama no less.

OklahomaTrombone
2/4/2006, 10:59 AM
She just needs ChemII for her degree, although I can't fathom how it could possibly be applicable to a BS-INDS degree -- perhaps when choosing building materials, finishes or adhesives? Ditto US History but I guess it could be applicable since there is often an element of historic preservation present in some facets of interior design.

Maybe she sould inform them that TCC offers a transfer program to Oswho-Tulsa in Interior design where you take Chem and History at TCC.

blink (http://www.tulsacc.edu/page.asp?durki=3654&site=34&return=3542)

Stanley1
2/4/2006, 11:01 AM
Homey, most schools require a large variety of classes, including tons that don't relate to your major.

As an accounting major I had to take a Chinese history class, a music history class, and an improv class. Needless to say those three classes haven't really helped me in my accounting career.

yermom
2/4/2006, 11:02 AM

nah, i meant more like if she had to take later classes based on those courses like Organic Chemistry or something

Okla-homey
2/4/2006, 11:10 AM
Homey, most schools require a large variety of classes, including tons that don't relate to your major.

As an accounting major I had to take a Chinese history class, a music history class, and an improv class. Needless to say those three classes haven't really helped me in my accounting career.

but surely those were electives right?

Mjcpr
2/4/2006, 11:21 AM
What about TU? NSU?

Okla-homey
2/4/2006, 11:29 AM
What about TU? NSU?

TU is too 'spensive. NSU is too far (I think).

BajaOklahoma
2/4/2006, 11:41 AM
US History online perhaps?
Chemistry in summer school is the pits. The tests are very close together, so she will be studying in all of her free time.

Mjcpr
2/4/2006, 11:42 AM
TU is too 'spensive. NSU is too far (I think).

There's a campus in BA.

Mjcpr
2/4/2006, 11:57 AM
If it helps your decision any, NSU (in Tahlequah) is where I got my book learnin'. :O

http://www.nsuba.edu/

Okla-homey
2/4/2006, 12:09 PM
There's a campus in BA.

really? linky?

Mjcpr
2/4/2006, 12:12 PM
I posted it.....there is no summer schedule yet though.

If you were to drive east on 101st St (pretty sure), you'd see it. It's out past Elm (S 161st E Ave) a couple of miles. I haven't been out that way in a while but I think you can exit off of the Creek Tpk right by it...they were working on that last time I was by there a few years ago.

John Kochtoston
2/4/2006, 12:32 PM

Jim Goss, by any chance?

GottaHavePride
2/4/2006, 01:26 PM
but surely those were electives right?

Sort of. OU has "general education" requirements you have to fulfill. You get to pick your classes to a certain extent, but (for example) along with my music degree I still had to have credits in English, US History, Political Science, Math, two science courses - at least one with a lab and preferably one physical science (chem, physics) and one natural science (zoology, botany), a non-western civilization class (I chose Asian Pre-history because History of the Samurai didn't fit my schedule), western civilization classes (most music history courses fill that category) and so on. Some colleges add extra requirements, too, like foreign language courses.

OklahomaTrombone
2/4/2006, 01:47 PM
Jim Goss, by any chance?

Mr. Goss was my 9th Grade History teacher. One of the three best teachers I had at Memorial

yermom
2/4/2006, 02:40 PM
actually this was in Owasso, Dennis Wright was his name, i think

i never had him in HS but all my friends did, and really liked him

he was a great storyteller, and a great guy

soonerscuba
2/4/2006, 02:42 PM
Everyone talks **** on GenEd, but some of my favorite classes fulfilled my GenEd, like Freedom in Greece.

GottaHavePride
2/4/2006, 02:44 PM
I'm not saying I minded the gen-ed classes. I was just explaining to Homey that there may be a LOT of seemingly-unrelated classes that his kid will have to take to get a degree.

soonerscuba
2/4/2006, 02:57 PM
very, very true.

Okla-homey
2/4/2006, 03:22 PM
very, very true.

I was a history major and I had to take four physical sciences with labs so I picked geology (hey, I'm an Okie right?), botany, zoology and microbiology.

I took the micro in summer school and it worked out great because I met this girl in that class back in 1981 to whom I am still married. The others...not so much.

Octavian
2/4/2006, 03:47 PM
The Schusterman Center does have the statue though. ;)

http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=schust6ql.png

some of my favorite classes fulfilled my GenEd, like Freedom in Greece.

Great course w/ an awesome prof..."Rome" is just as good, if not better.

SicEmBaylor
2/4/2006, 04:12 PM
The new NSU-BA campus is pretty nice.

John Kochtoston
2/6/2006, 02:36 PM
Mr. Goss was my 9th Grade History teacher. One of the three best teachers I had at Memorial

One of the three best teachers I've had, period. That runs from K-Bachelors.