PDA

View Full Version : Anybody catch Grizzlyman on Discovery?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/4/2006, 03:29 AM
:texan:

I wanted to post a poll, but can't seem to figure it out...

Anyway, this guy was certifiably nuts and a cinder calhoun type PETA lover...Too bad he dragged someone else to her death with him.

Anybody catch his tick of brushing his hair back with his fingers...

Nuts, I say... Does anyone know if he won a Darwin Award for his venture into the Alaskan wild?

And people thought this was good film? shessh! It even won a Sundance Award. That says a great deal about the Libz that run the film biz...

2/4/2006, 06:21 AM
I just watched the film's propaganda piece and am intrigued.

So was the guy a nutjob? If so, KICK A$$!!!

JohnnyMack
2/4/2006, 11:03 AM
Crazy as a sh*t house rat.

lexsooner
2/4/2006, 11:05 AM
Grizzly Adams went crazy? I thought he merely went to prison for drugs.

usmc-sooner
2/4/2006, 01:10 PM
even bears don't like crazy *** liberals.:D

but some of the scenery and footage was amazing.

picasso
2/4/2006, 01:59 PM
did you notice how his friends defended him by saying he wasn't loopy? Look, my gf has a degree in human development and she thinks the dude was definitely mentally ill. Sick was the word she used.
Honestly, I think he was trying to carve his own little niche and make a name for himself. The bears happened to be his vehicle.
I don't agree with the Bubba who said he got what he deserved but he was certainly asking for it.
Also, the hell made him think all that area was his? He was crying about those guys throwing rocks at his bear when he was the real cause. Did he not make those bears more acceptable of humans? I'm thinking maybe that's why it approached those fellers.:confused:

usmc-sooner
2/4/2006, 02:12 PM
he made a pact with the bears they helped him quit drinking and he would protect him with his craziness.

If I make a pact like this it would be with a less dangerous animal like puppies or kittens and they'd all be on the sauce after a few weeks with me.

chriscappel
2/4/2006, 02:16 PM
I wanted to post a poll, but can't seem to figure it out...

dont you have to be a sponsor to post polls??

2/4/2006, 04:10 PM
I think the real lesson here is to avoid bears unless you can throw a rock really hard and really fast.

Bless the bears and those who do stuff to them.

proud gonzo
2/4/2006, 04:27 PM
I read a few articles about that guy a while back and I think he was crazy in the sense that nobody else would ever do that. But I don't think he had something mentally wrong with him. I meant to watch that one but missed it--i'll have to record it.

either way, i'm not about to start an argument because i can already tell i'm going to disagree with everyone...

picasso
2/4/2006, 04:53 PM
I think the real lesson here is to avoid bears unless you can throw a rock really hard and really fast.

Bless the bears and those who do stuff to them.
heh.

PG, watch the movie and then get back with us. given his addict personality and actions on film ummm....
by the way he took some awesome pictures.

Mjcpr
2/4/2006, 07:20 PM
This was an article in a recent Readers Digest.....Mrs Mj told me about it a while back. We missed the movie, and we're going to miss it tonight...is it going to be on again or what?

JohnnyMack
2/4/2006, 07:35 PM
I don't think he had something mentally wrong with him.

Crazy. Patsy Cline style. Not shi*tin' you.

mrowl
2/4/2006, 07:39 PM
go rent it, or maybe its on pay per view, AWESOME documentary, well, maybe not very awesome for him... or his girlfriend

Beef
2/4/2006, 07:42 PM
either way, i'm not about to start an argument because i can already tell i'm going to disagree with everyone...
If I agreed with you would you disagree?

I'm going to Tivo it tonight.

GottaHavePride
2/4/2006, 07:45 PM
And people thought this was good film? shessh! It even won a Sundance Award. That says a great deal about the Libz that run the film biz...

First, I would mention what the award (the Alfred P. Sloan Award) is for:

The Prize, which carries a $20,000 cash award to the writer/director provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, is presented to the outstanding feature film focusing on science or technology as a theme, or depicting a scientist, engineer or mathematician as a major character.

I might also suggest that just because the subject of the film might or might not have been a total nutcase, doesn't mean the movie can't have been well done. Whether or not you agree with crazy guy and his bears has no bearing on how well-constructed he movie was, how well it was filmed, and so on.

Big Red Ron
2/4/2006, 08:35 PM
"Ghost, where's my ****in hat?"

SCOUT
2/4/2006, 08:39 PM
I saw this too. I remember seeing Timothy when he was a guest on David Letterman. Dave told him to be careful because it was only a matter of time before the bears, well acted like bears. I remember it because it seemed so out of character for Dave to be geniunely concerned.

While I was watching the documentary I definitely thought he had a screw loose. Towards the end of the movie I started wondering if his death wasn't some sort of suicide. Kinda like death by police or something. The speach he gave the day before he died definately alluded to his death. He even went so far as to talk about a specific bear and how it could turn on him. His friends speculated that the bear he was talking about was most likely the bear that did him in.

I don't know, it just seems odd to me. Why did he go back instead of getting on the plane and going home? He knew he was going back during a dangerous time of year. Why did he have the camera running with the lens cap on? Why did he set up camp in an enclosed area when he himself said that was a bad idea not one day before?

He did take some amazinig footage and pictures though. I would like to see more of the stills.

King Crimson
2/4/2006, 08:41 PM
how many of you hillbillies know who Werner Herzog is?

yermom
2/4/2006, 09:16 PM
comes on again at 10:00PM...

yermom
2/4/2006, 09:18 PM
how many of you hillbillies know who Werner Herzog is?

On January 26, 2006, Herzog helped to rescue actor Joaquin Phoenix when his car overturned after a brake malfunction on a winding road in Laurel Canyon, near Herzog's home. As Phoenix described it: "I remember this knocking on the passenger window. There was this German voice saying, 'Just relax.' There's the air bag, I can't see and I'm saying, 'I'm fine. I am relaxed.'"Finally, I rolled down the window and this head pops inside. And he said, 'No, you're not.'

weird.

oumartin
2/4/2006, 10:39 PM
i have been watching this for the past hour and that dude was nucking futs!

I thought Christopher Lambert(highlander) was narrating

jk the sooner fan
2/4/2006, 10:59 PM
just finished watching this.......wow, he was "out there"

oumartin
2/4/2006, 11:03 PM
loved when he went off on the park service! bleep bleep bleep bleep bleeeeeep

Amie was a hottie it appears

Okla-homey
2/4/2006, 11:21 PM
Bear #1: "Where's that walking hedge against our starvation?"

bear #2: "Who? Timothy?"

Bear #1: "Yeah, him."

bear #2: "He tasted like chicken, now pass the salmon"

oumartin
2/4/2006, 11:30 PM
they got 4 garbage bag of human remains outta that one bear! after taking a few craps I bet that is equivalent to alot of humans!
I thought liberals tasted like rice cakes. filling yet very bland

TheHumanAlphabet
2/5/2006, 02:16 AM

[/size][/font]I might also suggest that just because the subject of the film might or might not have been a total nutcase, doesn't mean the movie can't have been well done. Whether or not you agree with crazy guy and his bears has no bearing on how well-constructed he movie was, how well it was filmed, and so on.

But that's the point, it wasn't well constructed. They had rants from the guy interjected with the German director narrative about possible insights with Treadwell. I have a journalism minor and had 2 courses from Ned Hockman (okay, this doesn't necessarily make me a critic, but I at least understand camera angles, cuts and flow). This, in my opinion, is not only a bad film in the crazy sense, but a bad film from a form function. It must have been the only nomination in its catagory for it to win...

I checked the Darwin Awards, I didn't see him listed. Maybe they thought he was nuts as being mentally ill is a disqualification...

I thought maybe you had to be a sponsor for a poll, but the FAQ doens't say that, and at one time anyone could do a poll.

longhorn gdc
2/5/2006, 11:42 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746&highlight=grizzly

critical_phil
2/6/2006, 01:18 AM
THA, i'm no film critic either....but i am critical, so here's my take.

imo, many documentary films can be laborious from the standpoint that the filmmakers feel the extreme need to make an artistic mark on a story (when it's really nothing more than a story). when they miss their artistic mark, it can make for some bad viewing.....

the problem with the grizzly man is that you have more than one person trying to leave their artistic mark. i don't think i have as much of a problem with herzog as i do with treadwell (and treadwell's whack-job friend). to me, watching the treadwell footage was like watching kato kaelin in the woods. i mean, it's like he had the realization that he'd never make it as a real actor - but couldn't supress his own need to be on camera. he was neither a scientist nor an actor. this is what makes his story a real non-story.

any time a human voluntarily descends a couple of rungs on the food chain ladder without taking precautions.....well, i think it's obvious where the he got what he deserved comments come from. was he crazy? i don't think so. it just proves the point that one can be sincere and sincerely wrong at the same time. his overly (and unwise) romantic fascination with the bears and his over the top personality only made him seem crazy. i'm no psychiatrist, but my layperson's diagnosis is latent homosexuality coupled with manic depression.

as for his wildlife photography, it looked good. the better film would've been strictly his footage/photography of the bears..

i had seen most of the treadwell stuff (or stuff just like it from him) in other shows, so i really wish i would've skipped this.....

TheHumanAlphabet
2/6/2006, 09:47 AM
You much more eloquently stated my problems with the film. As Herzog only had the footage to use to make his film, it is as you said a film within a film. The bones are extremely bad and it is hard to make a desert souffle with rotten eggs! Herzog did go overboard in his "talk show style" interview with the ex-girlfriend/friend in listening to the last audio and teling her to destroy it and not listen to it.

i'm no psychiatrist, but my layperson's diagnosis is latent homosexuality coupled with manic depression.

I ask my wife that as well. I tend not to be a good judge. She didn't think so, but having a "girlfriend" doesn't preclude that either. His high pitched voice really bothered me.

as for his wildlife photography, it looked good. the better film would've been strictly his footage/photography of the bears..

I agree, beautiful footage. Great scenes of bears in the wild. Where he went wrong, whether it being a nut job or what, was his anthropomorphizing of the bears. Hello! they are WILD animals that are OMNIVORES! That can eat you (and they did!). If he had just used the bear footage rather than trying to bring us to know Treadwell more, would have been a better film. I suspect that his audiance, the liberal film judges/film distributors, probably got more out of the "human" story than people in "fly-over country".

I have a new list of names NEVER to give my pet!

critical_phil
2/6/2006, 10:10 AM
anthropomorphizing

:D

that's the word i was searching for!

and you're right. that's actually been something that's hindered scientific progress throughout time - the human "need" to ascribe purpose or human characteristics to another species. it's only good for descriptive purposes, and treadwell was indeed out in left field in trying to relate to the animals as opposed to simply observing them.

critical_phil
2/27/2006, 10:05 AM

The Prize, which carries a $20,000 cash award to the writer/director provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, is presented to the outstanding feature film focusing on science or technology as a theme, or depicting a scientist, engineer or mathematician as a major character.

I might also suggest that just because the subject of the film might or might not have been a total nutcase, doesn't mean the movie can't have been well done. Whether or not you agree with crazy guy and his bears has no bearing on how well-constructed he movie was, how well it was filmed, and so on.

well? did you watch it yet?

see any science, technology, scientists, engineers, or mathematicians?

proud gonzo
2/27/2006, 11:15 AM
you're using a very narrow idea of "scientist", c_p. scientist is defined as "A person having expert knowledge of one or more sciences, especially a natural or physical science." Treadwell fits that definition of a scientist. He certainly had expert knowledge in bears and wildlife. I think he could be compared to Dian Fossey or Jane Goodall, honestly.

I didn't watch the whole thing--didn't get time--but i watched most of it. I thought the film was extremely well done, and I don't think the guy was crazy.

jk the sooner fan
2/27/2006, 11:16 AM
expert? oh please.....far from it

he was a "bear enthusiast" with enough mental health issues to make him dangerous

jane goodall and diane fossey were educated in their field of study.....was bear food? i dont think so

Okla-homey
2/27/2006, 11:19 AM
I would consider him a scientist. scientist is defined as "A person having expert knowledge of one or more sciences, especially a natural or physical science." He definitely had expert knowledge in bears and wildlife. I think he could be compared to Dian Fossey or Jane Goodall, honestly.

I didn't watch the whole thing--didn't get time--but i watched most of it. I thought the film was extremely well done, and I don't think the guy was crazy.

PG...he was a loon. A drug-addled mind with a host of mental disorders. For example and just for starters, per the film he was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and refused to take his meds. Trust me on this, the guy was nuts.

jk the sooner fan
2/27/2006, 11:21 AM
i wonder if jane goodall slept at nite with a stuffed gorilla.....

proud gonzo
2/27/2006, 11:24 AM
expert? oh please.....far from it

he was a "bear enthusiast" with enough mental health issues to make him dangerous

jane goodall and diane fossey were educated in their field of study.....was bear food? i dont think so
how are you going to become more educated about wildlife, from a classroom or the real thing? and just because someone has wildly different priorities than you does not make them crazy.

yermom
2/27/2006, 11:26 AM
from being around science types... i think they are all a bit looney ;)

he was pretty out there... but i still think what he did would qualify as "science"

jk the sooner fan
2/27/2006, 11:28 AM
i think for your studies to be taken seriously you have to have at least a little education on what the hell it is you're studying

he has obvious mental issues......which seem to stem from his childhood (note the aforementioned teddy bear)

i can sit around and watch bears and come to the same conclusions he did, sure as hell doesnt make me an expert or scientist

usmc-sooner
2/27/2006, 12:16 PM
PG

he was crazy, I think that more than anything kept him alive as long as he was.

He was actually telling some of his friends that he was becoming a bear. He actually did more harm than good to the bears he claimed to love. This film actually mentioned his mental problems as well as drug/alcohol problems.

LoyalFan
2/27/2006, 01:29 PM
PG...he was a loon. per the film he was diagnosed with bi-Polar Bear disorder

Repaired...no charge (Warranty work.)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/27/2006, 01:36 PM
Bi-Polar Bear disorder- How TRAGIC! Delusional, completely. Only penguins down under.

critical_phil
2/27/2006, 02:32 PM
i can sit around and watch bears and come to the same conclusions he did....

jk - the other white meat.

jk the sooner fan
2/27/2006, 02:33 PM
jk - the other white meat.

:D

Sooner_Bob
2/27/2006, 02:42 PM
why do you guys hate people who were eaten by a bear?

DeadSolidPerfect
2/27/2006, 04:57 PM
He kept saying he was protecting the animals. From what? I didn't see him protect anything. Looks like all he wanted to do is pet them. I think he got what he wanted though, eaten.