PDA

View Full Version : OU-ASU wrestling

MiccoMacey
2/3/2006, 11:07 PM
Any one got any updates for a brother Sooner who has to work tonight?

Anyone??

Chirp. Chirp.

MiccoMacey
2/3/2006, 11:56 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=234508

NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 10/10 Oklahoma Sooners (8-4-1, 0-2) defeated the No. 11/11 Arizona State Sun Devils (12-7, 7-0) 29-13 on Friday night inside the Howard McCasland Field House.

The Sooners continued their recent dominance over the Sun Devils by defeating them for the sixth time since 1998.

“I was very pleased with our effort tonight," said OU head coach Jack Spates, "Arizona State is a good team and there were some tough matches. For the most I was not only pleased because we won, but with how we wrestled.”

No. 2 Sam Hazewinkel and No. 2 Teyon Ware both received forfeits in two out of the first three matches. That gave the Sooners 12 early points.

After that , Oklahoma scored big wins from No. 10 Matt Storniolo, No. 12 Wes Roberts and No. 13 Justin Dyer.

Storniolo scored a major decision, 8-0, over Pat Payne in the 149-pound match. Roberts defeated Chris Resmen by a technical fall, 19-3, in the 174-pound match. Dyer also scored a technical fall, 21-6, over No. 8 C.B. Dollaway at 184 pounds.

“The last few weeks have been really tough, but I had a good week of practice,” said Dyer. “I was able to get in and watch a lot of film with the coaches this week and that made a big difference.”

Also scoring for the Sooners was No. 4 Joel Flaggert defeating No. 10 Ryan Bader by a decision of 8-1 in their 197-pound match.

“Joel wrestled exceptional tonight and it was the best I have seen him wrestle all year,” continued Spates. “Justin was very impressive against a quality opponent (No. 8 C.B. Dollaway), overall I was very pleased.”

Next up for the Sooners is a trip to Columbia, Mo., on Sunday to face No. 12/14 Missouri for a 1 p.m., match at the Hearnes Center.

Weight-By-Weight Results
125: Sam Hazewinkel (OU) win by forfeit Jeremy Mendoza (ASU)
133: John Espenoza (ASU) dec. 6-2 Trey Blakely (OU)
141: Teyon Ware (OU) win by forfeit
149: Matt Storniolo (OU) maj. dec. 8-0 Pat Payne (ASU)
157: Brian Stith (ASU) maj. dec. 16-3 Shane Vernon (OU)
165: Patrick Pitsch (ASU) dec. 2-1 OT Jarrod King (OU)
174: Wes Roberts (OU) tech. fall 19-3 Chris Remsen (ASU)
184: Justin Dyer (OU) tech. fall 21-6 C.B. Dollaway (ASU)
197: Joel Flaggert (OU) dec. 8-1 Ryan Bader (ASU)
HWT: Cain Velasquez (ASU) dec. 4-0 Jake Hager (OU)

usmc-sooner
2/4/2006, 01:05 PM
I tried to reply Micco my computer is the suck

I wonder why they didn't put anyone on the mat with Teyon and Sam. Is Lee Roy Smith still the coach at ASU? I remember I had to wrestle Ray Miller from Marlow he wrestled at ASU as well ---he kicked my butt.

MiccoMacey
2/4/2006, 01:58 PM
LeeRoy is some type of director of the Wrestling Hall of Fame Museum in Stillwater, I believe. He left ASU quite some time ago (not sure who replaced him).

And yes, Ray Miller was a stud. Did he ever win a title? I know Pat beat him once in the finals, and I think Markus Mollica (from Arizona State) did as well.

Not sure why they didn't wrestle. I hope it's not because they didn't want to lose and thereby lose seedings placings at the NCAAs. The OSU people are all up in arms after that apparently happened against Iowa State (Bobby Douglas - whom by the way was a former coach at Arizona State...see a theme here? - allegedly held out two kids so they wouldn't lose to the OSU kids, possibly making them slide down in the rankings).