PDA

View Full Version : OUr first game for 2006???

dougsooner
2/3/2006, 04:52 PM
Figure Joe C. will have to get this finalized soon. Who will we be playing the first game? Any good rumors to get us through until spring practice? Also, any word on moving the osu game to Thanksgiving? As it is I don't think we have any open dates throughout the season. I hate open dates but playing 12 games in a row would be rough.

OUstud
2/3/2006, 05:03 PM
Aggy needs to be moved to Thanksgiving. At least to give the Aggy the illusion that they have a real rival that they usually play on a certain date. :stunned:

BoomerJack
2/3/2006, 06:58 PM
Not to be counting chickens before their hatched, but if the O-State game is moved to Thanksgiving Day or sometime that weekend, that would leave only another 7 - 9 days to heal up from a long season and to prepare for the Conf. Champ game.

Big Red Ron
2/3/2006, 07:05 PM
Not to be counting chickens before their hatched, but if the O-State game is moved to Thanksgiving Day or sometime that weekend, that would leave only another 7 - 9 days to heal up from a long season and to prepare for the Conf. Champ game.Also, it gives them the illusion that we see them as rivals. If it happens, we know that Joe is all about the $$$ and Okie State alumni have put up the $$$. I wonder who might do something like put up a crap load of $$$ for a half *** "football program" like okie state?:rolleyes:

BoomerJack
2/4/2006, 11:17 AM
Also, it gives them the illusion that we see them as rivals. If it happens, we know that Joe is all about the $$$ and Okie State alumni have put up the $$$. I wonder who might do something like put up a crap load of $$$ for a half *** "football program" like okie state?:rolleyes:

With all due respect, Ron, I think that Ath. Dir. have to be about the $$$ these days. Else we wouldn't be seeing stadia expansions, twelve game FB schedules, 26 - 28 bowl games for teams that won at least six games, corporate advertising all over athletic venues. I could go on. And of course the big issue facing OU football: whether or not to continue to play UT in the Cotton Bowl.

I think if Joe C. believes that there is a chance to garner some extra revenue for the program by moving the OSU game to Thanksgiving for TV he's gonna consider it.

Spray
2/4/2006, 11:24 AM
I believe we will open with UAB.

Big Red Ron
2/4/2006, 11:26 AM
I think if Joe C. believes that there is a chance to garner some extra revenue for the program by moving the OSU game to Thanksgiving for TV he's gonna consider it.I would not respect him if he did move it for money. We wouldn't benifit nearly as much as Okie state, regardless of the money.

The cotton bowl situation has nothing to do with moving Okie state to thanksgiving but its certainly a priority and money is a big factor but it is about a RIVALRY unlike any other. Elivating Okie state to anything close to that would be a financial mistake, in the long term.

We have had stadium expansions and facilities built with Okie state right where they are, we don't need them they need us.

Collier11
2/4/2006, 02:14 PM
why dont we just open up with the aggets, it would be a decent mid-level game to get us ready for UAB!!

chriscappel
2/4/2006, 02:22 PM
TBA BABY!!!!!!

goingoneight
2/4/2006, 02:43 PM
I would like to see Okie Lite get throttled by OU on their new "athletic village" at home. And early on in the season, so that if they beat their cake-schedule, they don't go into Booger Pickin Stadium arrogant, believing that they are the better force. I lived in enough darkness for one year, seeing Bama, USC, Miami, the Domers, USC, and especially UT ranked higher than us, I don't think I can deal with OU losing to Boone State like we did in 2001 or 2002. Although they had Cheata-Miles at the time, they know in the back of their minds who is the better side of this so-called "rivalry." I can't help but think that OU will be upset like in 2001 or 2002... That kind of season ****es me off, to win out in an unlikely NoCo schedule, beat Texas, and when ranked our highest... drops a loss to someone like Okie Light, Colorado, Baylor. This will be a one-game-at-a-time season, that's for certain...

batonrougesooner
2/4/2006, 03:04 PM
Regarding next year's schedule...

Doesn't OU play at Oregon next year? What about Washington? Aren't we scheduled to travel there soon? Isn't UAB on there for a home game as well?

Not much information at soonersports.com

Collier11
2/4/2006, 03:07 PM
we play uab at home, at oregon, and washington at home...TRUE

Boffingham
2/5/2006, 03:24 AM
We are playing Texas-Brownsville/Alamo better knows as TBA

BoomerJack
2/5/2006, 12:19 PM
TO WHOEVER NEGSPEKKED ME ABOUT THE POLITICS INVOLVED IN RE-SCHEDULING THE OSU GAME:

All I know about re-scheduling this game to Thanksgiving weekend would:

1. allow the Sooners to have an off weekend near the middle of a long season.
2. POSSIBLY garner the program some extra $$$ through increased TV revenue by having the game broadcast on Thanks. weekend as opposed in Sept. when there is a full college football schedule.

These are the only factors, IMO, that Joe C. should consider if requested to re-schedule. If there are any more compelling factors about this matter, please enlighten me. Note: I do have more than passing knowledge of the rivalry and what's going at OSU, the athletic program there, blah,blah,blah.
I grew up in Tulsa, graduated from OU and have kept up with matters there through family and friends.

Thanks in advance.

OUTrumpet
2/5/2006, 01:54 PM
I believe we will open with UAB.

So far, UAB is our last non-conference game. It's TBA, Washington, @ UO, and UAB.

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2006, 02:21 PM
Wasnt the rumor MTSU or Middle Tennessee State?

I know South Carolina as 2 open dates too...that would be nice.

sooneron
2/5/2006, 04:06 PM
Bye State