PDA

View Full Version : Survivorman

OUDoc
2/3/2006, 12:15 PM
Pretty cool show, but it's only 30 minutes (15 minutes of commercials). If I were going to be dropped into the middle of nowhere for a week, I think I'd want more airtime. I wish they'd make the show longer and show more about the survival stuff. Anyone watch this show?

http://www.survivorman.ca/

Shaz-Bot
2/3/2006, 01:07 PM
Either The Discovery Science Channel or Nat'l Geographic Channel (don't remember which) show the full hour episodes.

n8v_ndn
2/3/2006, 03:09 PM
I watch it, it's prety good, but this is the 2nd incarnation that I know of.

An earlier one featured a pudgy-lookin Englishman who put himself in dangerous situations (like being stranded in the Outback during the summer). He would recount tales of people that went through similar circumstances--what happened to them, whether they survived, what they did wrong, etc., while showing you how to survive them.

Lessons learned: If help cannot be seen never, ever abandon your vehicle in the Outback if it breaks down. Also, never underestimate a pudgy, softspoken Englishman in comfortable hiking socks.

jk the sooner fan
4/1/2006, 06:32 PM
i watched this show last nite, pretty cool, he gets dropped out in the middle of the grand canyon, no food or water.....strips his bike down and uses the inner tube for a canteen, the bike wheel spokes for a "fork" for the squirrel he trapped, killed, cooked and ate

interesting show, and it was an hour

sanantoniosooner
4/1/2006, 06:45 PM
I had to make due with crisco once.

just say'n.........

Harry Beanbag
12/10/2006, 11:01 AM
I've been watching this show the last three weeks. I'm hooked.

jk the sooner fan
12/10/2006, 11:10 AM
has anybody seen the "man vs nature" (or something like that) show? this idiot jumps into a freezing body of water, surrounded by snow and ice....showed how to fight his way out of the hole....i damn near didnt think he was going to make it.....then he goes over to his snowy shelter and strips nude to let his clothes dry out.....

ok, i get that we want to teach people how to survive.....how bout starting out with the obvious "DONT WALK ON THIN ICE!!!!!!!"

Hamhock
4/2/2007, 08:03 AM
i saw survivorman over the weekend.

it was pretty interesting, but i call bull****.

there were waaaay too many far-off camera angles. at one point he as walking across a glacier (because that was his only possible way out), which was "one of the scariest things he had ever done" and extremely dangerous. one wrong step and he could "fall into a 5 story cavern". yet, somehow, there were 3 different camera angles. one from the other side??

you guys think this is legit? he's really out there by himself?

soonerinabilene
4/2/2007, 09:36 AM
i saw survivorman over the weekend.

it was pretty interesting, but i call bull****.

there were waaaay too many far-off camera angles. at one point he as walking across a glacier (because that was his only possible way out), which was "one of the scariest things he had ever done" and extremely dangerous. one wrong step and he could "fall into a 5 story cavern". yet, somehow, there were 3 different camera angles. one from the other side??

you guys think this is legit? he's really out there by himself?

supposedly, he carries all the cameras himself, and when he's walking he has to set up a camera, film himself walking away, walk back, get the camera, then walk again. ive seen a couple of episodes where he has had to make a risky climb up a cliff or something and he says something along the lines of " i've got to do this twice, once with a camera strapped to my back."

Hamhock
4/2/2007, 09:42 AM
supposedly, he carries all the cameras himself, and when he's walking he has to set up a camera, film himself walking away, walk back, get the camera, then walk again. ive seen a couple of episodes where he has had to make a risky climb up a cliff or something and he says something along the lines of " i've got to do this twice, once with a camera strapped to my back."

he actually said that on the episode i saw. i just don't buy it. he's supposably risking his life for the show....twice.

how much film/battery weight does he have to lug in to get that much footage.

also, i noticed that a couple of key moments (getting an actual flame after many attempts) took place off camera.

i just don't buy it....

Harry Beanbag
4/2/2007, 06:29 PM
he actually said that on the episode i saw. i just don't buy it. he's supposably risking his life for the show....twice.

also, i noticed that a couple of key moments (getting an actual flame after many attempts) took place off camera.

i just don't buy it....

I think he's said 50 pounds of camera weight.

rufnek05
4/2/2007, 06:40 PM

i just don't buy it....

i saw an episode where he said he carries all the camera equipment and said it totaled about 50lbs. and the one where he is on some tropical island he showed where his cameras were set up before he went spear fishing with the elastic band from his underwear and 3 bic pens as a spear point. and the cameras never move when they show him far off. but i beleive that he is alone. i know one of his cameras is a time-laps.

StoopTroup
4/2/2007, 06:47 PM
I'm alone right now surfing the internet...

I'm glad I'm not carrying 50 lbs. of cameras.

C&CDean
4/2/2007, 07:20 PM
Those of us who've actually had to survive in the woods/desert/jungle/swamp/mountains think shows like this are silly.

My kids were watching it when he's down in the canyon sucking water up into his bicycle innertube, etc. Give me a ****ing break. Dude's motorhome and crew are like right over the hill. All he's gotta do is push the "panic button" and they'll be there. That ain't surviving. That's television. That's pure, cheap, worthless entertainment. No wonder jk was watching.