PDA

View Full Version : Eye Infections

SOONER44EVER
2/3/2006, 07:57 AM
Our daughter has what the Dr. told us was a bacterial eye infection. The skin under her eyes is all puffy, the whites of her eyes are bloodshot, they are constantly watering and itchy and in the morning she literally cannot open them because all the gunk has her upper and lower eyelids stuck together. I have to get a warm wet washcloth and clean them for about 10 minutes each before she can open them. The Dr. prescribed some special eyedrops that we have to give her every 2 hours. It is very contagious and spreading in the schools. We were told to have her wash her hands at least 10 times a day and not to let her rub or touch her eyes. My mom said she saw a story on the local news about it last night. It is supposed to clear up in 4-5 days. In the meantime no school. Anyone else having problems with this?

sanantoniosooner
2/3/2006, 08:06 AM
sounds like pinkeye

SOONER44EVER
2/3/2006, 08:09 AM
sounds like pinkeye
Thats what I thought it was but the Dr. said no.

sooner_born_1960
2/3/2006, 08:22 AM
What part of OKC?

SOONER44EVER
2/3/2006, 08:23 AM
What part of OKC?
NW.

sooner_born_1960
2/3/2006, 08:26 AM
SW here. But probably a good time to re-emphasize to my daughter the importance of washing her hands before taking out or puting in her contacts.

SOONER44EVER
2/3/2006, 08:28 AM
I feel so bad for her. I've never heard of not being able to open your eyes before.

Soonrboy
2/3/2006, 08:55 AM
it's not conjunctivitus?

SOONER44EVER
2/3/2006, 08:57 AM
it's not conjunctivitus?
No. Its not pinkeye either. :D

oumartin
2/3/2006, 09:27 AM
pinkeye
thought she had been hangin' out with scott baio! ;)

handcrafted
2/3/2006, 10:52 AM
I had an infection like that in my left eye about 12 years ago. Doc said the same thing, it wasn't conjunctivitis, it was bacterial. Same treatment, took about a week to go away. Sux at the time but it does get better fairly quickly.

SOONER44EVER
2/3/2006, 03:25 PM
She seems to be getting better. Its worse at night. I've never washed my hands so much.

BajaOklahoma
2/3/2006, 06:45 PM
Do you have to use the J & J Baby shampoo on her eyelids? They will often recommend washing the eyelids with this as it doesn't hurt.
BTW, conjunctivitis can be either viral or bacterial in origin. Not sure why he is making such big deal about what to call it. They often give the eye drops for viral conjunctivitis to prevent a bacterial infection on top of the viral infection.
Good handwashing can prevent so many of life's ills. A separate washcloth for each eye and don't reuse it. Keep the bath towel away from her face - and wash it daily. Wash the bed linens daily for a couple of days. And any blankies or other bedtime toys she uses.

SoonerInKCMO
2/3/2006, 11:55 PM
I feel so bad for her. I've never heard of not being able to open your eyes before.

Happens to me most Saturday and Sunday mornings. :mack:

Flagstaffsooner
2/4/2006, 05:25 AM
Happens to me most Saturday and Sunday mornings. :mack:and you nevar wash your hands.;)