PDA

View Full Version : OU football great!!!! NFL Not

bspoke1
2/3/2006, 12:08 AM
Why is it we can send 10 guys to the NFL and none of them produce?
They can sure get hurt.It seems to be a common path that the Stoops era Sooners have taken.Besides Roy Williams they have all underacheived.What gives?

sooner518
2/3/2006, 12:27 AM
Tommie Harris is doing pretty well.

Mark Clayton had a pretty good season. but youre right. they do seem to get hurt inordinately often

Rhino
2/3/2006, 12:34 AM
Oh.

GottaHavePride
2/3/2006, 01:31 AM
Jamaal Brown seems to be doing pretty well for the Saints, too.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/3/2006, 01:39 AM
I think this thread sucks

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/3/2006, 01:42 AM
It is suspicious that your Name has Poke in it ;)

yermom
2/3/2006, 02:21 AM
BS Poke?

NickZeppelin
2/3/2006, 02:26 AM
You are stupid. Brandon Jones, Mark Bradley, Mark Clayton, Jammal Brown, and Brodney Pool all produced. If Dan Cody didn't tear his knee he would have produced well too.

Collier11
2/3/2006, 02:36 AM
Way to show the ability to not pay attention as usual nick, though mis-stated a little because some have produced at a high level, I think if you actually read it he is making a decent point and mainly referring to the fact that perkins, Q, Cody, Brandon Jones, Clayton, Heupel, Woolfolk, bradley, and strait have all been hurt, most of them pretty badly within their first year or two in the nfl.

Sooner in Tampa
2/3/2006, 06:50 AM
Wilkerson is doing alright in KC too.

crawfish
2/3/2006, 08:41 AM
BS Poke?

Maybe it's b spoke.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/3/2006, 09:18 AM
You can say that stuff about any OU era. Or any era for any ttteam in the ncaa.

Rhino
2/3/2006, 02:13 PM
People tend to get hurt playing NFL football.

Big Red Ron
2/3/2006, 02:20 PM
OU and UT both have two pro bowlers.

There isn't a bigger star in the NFL than Roy Williams

Rhino
2/3/2006, 02:30 PM
There isn't a bigger star in the NFL than Roy Williams That's quite a stretch.

Big Red Ron
2/3/2006, 02:59 PM
That's quite a stretch.Well he's pretty darn popular. I was in New York City and every sports store had several of his jerseys on the rack. Other than NY players there were only about ten other teams represented and Roy was one of them.

FlatheadSooner
2/3/2006, 04:17 PM
Tony Casillas had a pretty good run didn't he?

Rhino
2/3/2006, 04:25 PM
Well he's pretty darn popular. I was in New York City and every sports store had several of his jerseys on the rack. Other than NY players there were only about ten other teams represented and Roy was one of them. As far as popularity goes, it probably goes something like:

1. Vick
2. Favre
3. Manning
4. Owens
5. Roy Williams
6. McNabb
7. Bettis
8. Brady
9. Urlacher
10. Chad Johnson

Maybe throw Ray Lewis in there somewhere too.

XingTheRubicon
2/3/2006, 04:27 PM
As far as popularity goes, it probably goes something like:

1. Vick
2. Favre
3. Manning
4. Owens
5. Roy Williams
6. McNabb
7. Bettis
8. Brady
9. Urlacher
10. Chad Johnson

Maybe throw Ray Lewis in there somewhere too.

Actually Big Ben is No 1 in jersey sales per ESPN

Big Red Ron
2/3/2006, 04:27 PM
As far as popularity goes, it probably goes something like:

1. Vick
2. Favre
3. Manning
4. Owens
5. Roy Williams
6. McNabb
7. Bettis
8. Brady
9. Urlacher
10. Chad Johnson

Maybe throw Ray Lewis in there somewhere too.That's probably a good list.

TheGodfather889
2/3/2006, 04:37 PM
Roy Williams is a probowl safety and Tommie Harris made it to the Pro Bowl this year.Mark Clayton had a nice season and it would have been better if they had a quarterback instead of Kyle Boller.Mark Bradley was having a good season until he tore his ACL and I think he will be good in the NFL.I think Jammal Brown will eventually be a Probowl LT.But as for the others I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

NickZeppelin
2/3/2006, 05:12 PM
Stockar McDougal has been a decent OLineman. Stephen Alexander and Kelly Gregg are still in the NFL after about 8 years now. Cory Ivey has found his nitche in the NFL. Jimmy Wilkerson, Rocky Calmus, Brandon Moore, Travian Smith was in the NFL till last year.

Big Red Ron
2/3/2006, 05:15 PM
Hasn't Kelly been a pro bowler? What up G?

CoolChicksWearCrimson
2/3/2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah Rocky has had terrible luck. I grew up w/ Rocky and went to a couple of his Tenn. games but he just cant quit getting hurt. Did he even play 1 game w/Colts? Don't think so. He is now back in Jenks,OK our hometown, I wish him the best but it's not looking good.

Big Red Ron
2/3/2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah Rocky has had terrible luck. I grew up w/ Rocky and went to a couple of his Tenn. games but he just cant quit getting hurt. Did he even play 1 game w/Colts? Don't think so. He is now back in Jenks,OK our hometown, I wish him the best but it's not looking good.I had two classes with Rocky and got to know him a bit on an academic level and he was/is a very intelligent individual. He always seemed like he was a lot smaller in person than on the field, which is a complement!

He was always hurt at OU. Remember when he played with a broken leg? I just think his heart seriously out-weighed his braun, thus the injuries. I hope he gets healthy and gets a heathy shot to start before he packs it in.

Rhino
2/5/2006, 03:08 PM
Yeah Rocky has had terrible luck. I grew up w/ Rocky and went to a couple of his Tenn. games but he just cant quit getting hurt. Did he even play 1 game w/Colts? Don't think so. He is now back in Jenks,OK our hometown, I wish him the best but it's not looking good. He was on the Colts injured reserve all last season with nerve problems with his leg.

tbl
2/5/2006, 03:27 PM
The reason you see so many TRRW jerseys is b/c the Cowboys are arguably the most popular NFL franchise and he's the only player on the roster that's a true franchise guy. Julius Jones may end up doing something, but as of right now, Roy is the only constant on the team.

sooneron
2/5/2006, 03:44 PM
The reason you see so many TRRW jerseys is b/c the Cowboys are arguably the most popular NFL franchise and he's the only player on the roster that's a true franchise guy. Julius Jones may end up doing something, but as of right now, Roy is the only constant on the team.
That may be true, but Roy gets a LOT of face time in NFL promos.

Collier11
2/5/2006, 04:10 PM
TRRW is one of the top 3 safeties in football, a perennial all-pro, plays for the cowboys(americas team), comes from OU(americas college team...in my world anyways), and is a good person. So of course he is a superstar

wishbonesooner
2/5/2006, 07:20 PM
And Vick has done what?

bspoke1
2/7/2006, 09:00 PM
BMOC at OU.Forgive me, but after all of the previous post I still haven't seen any future hall of famers like the Selmons ,Sims,Washingtons,Owens,Kinlaw and the sort.
Please,someone enlighten me!

Collier11
2/7/2006, 09:13 PM
well its early for most of them but if if trrw keeps up this pace for 12-15 years and makes 10 or so all pro teams and pro bowls, he will probably get in because of playing for dallas

Rhino
2/7/2006, 11:38 PM
BMOC at OU.Forgive me, but after all of the previous post I still haven't seen any future hall of famers like the Selmons ,Sims,Washingtons,Owens,Kinlaw and the sort.
Please,someone enlighten me! You say they haven't produced and they've underachieved (the basis of argument mostly involving rookies or two-year players) and now you want them all to be future HOFs?

Okay.

CtheB
2/7/2006, 11:43 PM
BJones actually was the Titans go to guy before knee injury. They are expecting big things from him next year. He may be their #1 man, ahead of Bennett.

picasso
2/8/2006, 01:50 AM
Please,someone enlighten me!
huh? Billy Sims and Steve Owens aren't in the NFL HOF.
granted Billy would have made it easily barring injury. I also doubt Reggie Kinlaw is in there.
the NFL sucks anyway. when a crappy team like Pittsburgh can win it all...

Since71ASooner4Life
2/8/2006, 06:14 AM
I've had the same thoughts myself about the injuries. Dont think anyone has mentioned Teddy Lehman yet ... he was out all year for Detroit.

But I guess when one school sends a lot of guys to the NFL, it stands to reason that you'll hear of injuries of that school's players because there are a lot of injuries in the NFL - that's partly why the average carrer is 2~3 years.

As far as Sooners not being standouts in the NFL, we've definately had our share. But really, is there a school in existance where you can say all of their players consistantly reach high levels of play in NFL? I think on average, very good to even great college players don't do anything special in the NFL. Looking from the other side at the best NFL players today, it seems half of them didn't draw that much media attention while playing college ball. The few guys who reach star status in the NFL tend to be sprinkled around the country in various schools, with no one school having an inordinately high percentage of them. You can always point to a few schools with 4 or 5 former players doing real well in the NFL, but those same schools will have their share of busts who were also excellent college players.

bspoke1
2/8/2006, 07:30 AM
I've had the same thoughts myself about the injuries. Dont think anyone has mentioned Teddy Lehman yet ... he was out all year for Detroit.

But I guess when one school sends a lot of guys to the NFL, it stands to reason that you'll hear of injuries of that school's players because there are a lot of injuries in the NFL - that's partly why the average carrer is 2~3 years.

As far as Sooners not being standouts in the NFL, we've definately had our share. But really, is there a school in existance where you can say all of their players consistantly reach high levels of play in NFL? I think on average, very good to even great college players don't do anything special in the NFL. Looking from the other side at the best NFL players today, it seems half of them didn't draw that much media attention while playing college ball. The few guys who reach star status in the NFL tend to be sprinkled around the country in various schools, with no one school having an inordinately high percentage of them. You can always point to a few schools with 4 or 5 former players doing real well in the NFL, but those same schools will have their share of busts who were also excellent college players.
Great post!!!!I stand corrected:D

soonerlaw
2/8/2006, 12:16 PM
Plus it seems that the guys that get the most face time in the NFL are usually QB's and RB's, which is understandable, because they are the guys with the ball the most and the ones the crowds love. Unfortunately, OU hasn't had good luck in getting QB's into the NFL as of late, and as far as RB's go, Q would have been great, but he too, got some bad breaks. I'm sure all that will change in the next few years with AD and eventually Bomar lighting it up in the NFL.