2/2/2006, 11:29 PM
DE: Alan Davis
DT: DeMarcus Granger
DT: Gerald McCoy
DE: Alonzo Dotson/John Williams

thats just the starting line-up:D

rainiersooner
2/2/2006, 11:38 PM
CJ Au Jus and Birdine are both back next year...I think they'll lock down the DE positions - but those five rotating...unstoppable! We are going to be good, and I'm not just saying that...

BASSooner
2/2/2006, 11:41 PM
yeah I apologize for not putting birdine and cj on there. The reason y i put that was because of the 2 juggernaut tackles playing on the same line of scrimmage....insane...and the fact that they will get better the year after

rainiersooner
2/2/2006, 11:45 PM
It's a beautiful thing.

oumartin
2/3/2006, 09:23 AM
defense should be outstanding next year no doubt. Maybe the best in a very long time if they can get solid play out of the corners

Harry Beanbag
2/3/2006, 09:38 AM
defense should be outstanding next year no doubt. Maybe the best in a very long time if they can get solid play out of the corners and safeties.

Fixed.

ArklahomaSooner
2/3/2006, 09:48 AM
Have Pendleton and Bennett in the DT rotation too. If the secondary is improved, the monsters we have up front should be able to wreak havoc

Desert Sapper
2/3/2006, 10:00 AM
If the front is out there wreaking havoc, we may not need to be that much better in the secondary. We have had trouble getting penetration since 2004. If the QB has no time, he makes mistakes. That being said, I want to see good CB and safety play again.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/3/2006, 10:12 AM
If the front is out there wreaking havoc, we may not need to be that much better in the secondary. We have had trouble getting penetration since 2004. If the QB has no time, he makes mistakes. That being said, I want to see good CB and safety play again.

Agreed. I'm not saying the secondary doesn't have plenty of room to improve but a secondary doesn't get beat nearly so often when the QB is lying on his back with the football in his hand.

NormanPride
2/3/2006, 11:02 AM
it goes both ways, guys. If the secondary is terrible, then the DLine will not be nearly as effective. Remember, a lot of our sacks later in the season were because there wasn't anything open downfield.

sooneron
2/3/2006, 11:04 AM
I predict more sacks for next year, as long as the secondary doesn't suck. (Which I see it being fairly solid)

tennsooner
2/3/2006, 02:11 PM
I'm holding my judgement til I see what Nick thinks.;) :D :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/3/2006, 02:21 PM
FWIW I thought Wolfe became a pretty good corner by the end of the year and he will likely get better. Marcus Walker was good as a freshman so I think last year was more of a matter of being hurt. I think they can be a pretty good tandem if they even win the job.

Our secondary isn't TRRW, Everage, Perkins & Strait just yet but I think it will be pretty good.

Blitzkrieg
2/3/2006, 02:51 PM
I think Walker is chronic, he'll be lucky to play a few more complete games.

We were top 5 in the nation is sacks playing the hardest schedule, so we haven't been as bad as many espouse. We might be frightening next year.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?div=4&rpt=IA_teamsacks&site=org

Flagstaffsooner
2/3/2006, 02:55 PM
I'm holding my judgement til I see what Nick thinks.;) :D :DEver read Revelations?:D

OUGreg723
2/3/2006, 03:03 PM
I am not at all worried about the secondary next year as long as we can stay healthy. I think the skill and coaching is all there. We just HAVE to stay injury free. It'll all work out, I can feel it coming.

Harry Beanbag
2/3/2006, 03:31 PM
I'd rather have a bunch of interceptions than a bunch of sacks.

oumartin
2/3/2006, 03:39 PM
I'd rather have all wins and no losses. It was rather weird OU went almost won the NC and they had about 5 INTs all year when Bo was coachin.

Harry Beanbag
2/3/2006, 03:49 PM
I'd rather have all wins and no losses. It was rather weird OU went almost won the NC and they had about 5 INTs all year when Bo was coachin.

It was even weirder what happened when that team finally went up against a good passing offense in the game we don't speak of. Not to mention what both ag schools did to them.

oumartin
2/3/2006, 03:54 PM
you are always there to bring us back to reality aren't ya bean?

LosAngelesSooner
2/3/2006, 03:57 PM
Am I the only one, or did John Williams look like a TOTAL BEAST before he was injured? I really think he may end up being our strongest and best DE.

He just looked incredible.

FlatheadSooner
2/3/2006, 04:03 PM
It's all coming together - the prophecy is being fulfilled.

Critical mass is almost here.

Soonerfan1993
2/3/2006, 04:54 PM
Our Dline and LB's are deeper then 2003 but is it has good I don't know

DE Dan Cody
NT Dusty Dvoracek
DT Tommie Harris
DE Jonathan Jackson

WLB Teddy Lehman
MLB Lance Mitchell
SLB Pasha Jackson

and the Secondary Sure has hell aint, hopefully i'm wrong we will see

CB Derrick Strait
FS Brodney Pool/Brandon Everage
SS Donte Nicholson
CB Antonio Perkins

We gave up 146 YPG through the air last year we gave up 70 More Yards Per Game.

Blitzkrieg
2/3/2006, 05:16 PM
It's all coming together - the prophecy is being fulfilled.

Critical mass is almost here.

FATHER........THE SLEEPER HAS AWAKENED!

Soonerman08
2/3/2006, 05:41 PM
I see our Secondary being better and almost 2003 Caliber, heck it was twice as good last year as 2004. We had a lot more interceptions this previous year than the year before.

Soonerfan1993
2/3/2006, 05:48 PM
I see our Secondary being better and almost 2003 Caliber, heck it was twice as good last year as 2004. We had a lot more interceptions this previous year than the year before.

Umm not exactly, We gave up quite a few more points then 2004, We gave up 12 more Ypg threw the air then 2004 and 2004 wasn't exactly a stellar pass defense.

2002 Was Fantastic it only ranked 4th in the Big 12 but it gave up 19 less yards then 2004 and 31 less yards then 2005.

2003 Was way better then 2002 It gave up 146 YPG 39 YPG Less then 2002, 56 YPG less then 2004, 68 YPG then 2005. It has to come quite a ways over the spring and summer before I compare it too 2002 yet alone 2003. I want to see how it does in pratice when the oline is actually giving Rhett has much time has he wants.

BASSooner
2/3/2006, 05:51 PM
Umm not exactly, We gave up quite a few more points then 2004, We gave up 12 more Ypg threw the air then 2004 and 2004 wasn't exactly a stellar pass defense.

2002 Was Fantastic it only ranked 4th in the Big 12 but it gave up 19 less yards then 2004 and 31 less yards then 2005.

2003 Was way better then 2002 It gave up 146 YPG 39 YPG Less then 2002, 56 YPG less then 2004, 68 YPG then 2005. It has to come quite a ways over the spring and summer before I compare it too 2002 yet alone 2003. I want to see how it does in pratice when the oline is actually giving Rhett has much time has he wants.
have you ever noticed that teams can improve?

MiccoMacey
2/3/2006, 05:57 PM
No doubt our defense will be better next year.

No.

Doubt.

Soonerfan1993
2/3/2006, 06:08 PM
have you ever noticed that teams can improve?

No doubt but that is quite a jump in improvement from 216 YPG to 185 YPG?

BASSooner
2/3/2006, 06:10 PM
have you heard of the phrase a new year a new team?

Ruuuuuufus
2/3/2006, 07:49 PM
I think Walker is chronic, he'll be lucky to play a few more complete games.

He had shoulder problems when he arrived at OU and got one of them worked on after his freshman season. Since then he hasn't had any kind of chronic injury to it. They probably should have went in and cleaned out the other shoulder but at the time it wasn't thought to be as bad so they decided to let it stay. Turns out it was a bad idea and he had the same surgery on the other shoulder after the Holiday Bowl. Hopefully he will get rehabbed up. If his shoulder that he just had surgery on responds as well as the other did then he should be fine.

TJKDone
2/4/2006, 08:59 AM
IMO Granger will be a disappointment. However Mr. McCoy might make up for him. McCoy is the best DL recruit you guys have gotten since Tommie Harris. All he has to overcome is being from Tulsa:D

Hook'em

Desert Sapper
2/4/2006, 09:25 AM
IMO Granger will be a disappointment. However Mr. McCoy might make up for him. McCoy is the best DL recruit you guys have gotten since Tommie Harris. All he has to overcome is being from Tulsa:D

Hook'em

OK. I can't let this go. Mr. TJKDone, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

DeMarcus Granger was injured before he arrived. Your opinion is less valued because you are a whorn, but the fact that you make this opinion known to anyone only serves to substantiate the claim that whorn fans are losing their minds with their first championship in 36 years. Believe me when I say Jevan Snead will know who he is when he is looking up at him in the Cotton Bowl from his back.

Gerald McCoy is not from Tulsa. He went to Southeast high in OKC. Whether he is the best DL recruit since Tommie remains to be seen. He certainly looked Tommie-esque in the Army AA Bowl. Then again, so did Granger in the 2005 AA Bowl.

Tuck Fexas

TXBOOMER
2/4/2006, 10:33 AM
defense should be outstanding next year no doubt. Maybe the best in a very long time if they can get solid play out of the corners

You are correct! We have the most talented, most experienced and deepest defensive squad that I can remember ever at OU. I think Granger and McCoy will fit in very well in the DT rotation. I cannot freaking wait!

TXBOOMER
2/4/2006, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Blitzkrieg]I think Walker is chronic, he'll be lucky to play a few more complete games.

Wasn't it the other shoulder he had surgery on at the end of the season? Coach Stoops fully expects him to be very competitive for the job next year. I think he'll be okay. You sound like a chiropractor.

KingDavid
2/4/2006, 12:20 PM
The best thing about the defense is that the entire coaching staff returns; especially in the defensive backfield. Jack Wright is the best position coach on the team: he had almost a pure virgin backfield that was playing excellent ball by the end of the year.

Our D is going to be freakish, the best in the nation and the best Stoops has ever put on the field . . . until the following year (if we can keep the coaching staff in tact).

I think we win the NC if the D lives up to its billing and can give the O (with an entirely overhauled staff - our biggest problem IMO) enough slack to pull their sh*t together (primarily on the offensive line).

SoonerProphet
2/5/2006, 10:44 AM
Am I the only one, or did John Williams look like a TOTAL BEAST before he was injured? I really think he may end up being our strongest and best DE.

He just looked incredible.

I thought he was one of the only dudes to show up for that game.

Desert Sapper
2/5/2006, 01:40 PM
Our D is going to be freakish, the best in the nation and the best Stoops has ever put on the field . . . until the following year (if we can keep the coaching staff intact).

I concur. Secondary questions abound, but an answer will come this spring. After that, offensive gelling is key. KW was a good enough O-Line coach that he had cohesion on a line that saw more turnover than Enron.

Vaevictis
2/6/2006, 11:07 AM
We gave up quite a few more points then 2004, We gave up 12 more Ypg threw the air then 2004 and 2004 wasn't exactly a stellar pass defense.

I'm not certain, but the offense's poor showing this year may have had something to do with that. Numbers to consider:

Fumbles-Lost (2004): 20-9
Fumbles-Lost (2005): 31-13
Interceptions Lost (2004): 9
Interceptions Lost (2005): 11

So, 11 more fumbles; 6 more turnovers. I'm not exactly how much extra time that puts the defense on the field, but I suspect it's a lot. I can't remember how many times I had that sinking feeling from a drive killed by losing 8 yards and a down on a botched snap.

I'm not sure you can put the worse stats on the shoulders of the defense for this past year.

I think post-Texas our secondary was way better than last year's. Texas and before... probably worse. Two of the passing touchdowns we gave up in the Texas games were interceptions or at least knockdowns if the secondary hadn't just straight up blown it.