PDA

View Full Version : Best Super Bowl that you've seen.....

AllAboutThe'O'
2/2/2006, 10:35 PM
I was too young to remember the Cowboys-Steelers '70s Super Bowls, so they did not make the list.
My top 10 Super Bowls:
1. Broncos 31, Packers 24 (1998): "This one's for John."
2. Patriots 32, Panthers 29 (2004): Too bad Nipplegate had to overshadow one of the best second halves in SB history.
3. Cowboys 27, Steelers 17 (1996): Barry Switzer's Super Bowl title. "We did it, baby."
4. Patriots 20, Rams 17 (2002): A lot of people forget that, at the time, this was considered a monumental upset. Who knew that the Patriots would go on to pick up two more Lombardi Trophies?
5. Giants 20, Bills 19 (1991): Should be remembered for far more than Norwood's miss. Game also came at the height of the Gulf War, and for one night, was a welcome diversion.
6. Rams 23, Titans 16 (2000): Of course, it's remembered for Mike Jones' game-saving tackle on the final play. But until the fourth quarter, this game was pretty much a snoozefest.
7. Redskins 27, Dolphins 17 (1983): Riggo runs wild. Also, Fulton Walker of the Dolphins did this for the first time in a SB, what was it?
8. 49ers 20, Bengals 16 (1989): Hated the 49ers back then, and I was tense that night when Montana hit Taylor in the final seconds. But over time, I've grown to appreciate that game and its place in SB history. This was probably the SB that had more weird stuff happen on and off the field (Miami riots, Stanley Wilson's shame, Tim Krumrie's gruesome injury).
9. 49ers 26, Bengals 21 (1982): First SB called by John Madden (with Pat Summerall on CBS) was in Detroit (Pontiac actually). Last SB for ABC called by Madden is in Detroit.
10. Cowboys 52, Bills 17 (1993): If Leon Lett had scored, it would have been 59-17.

Big Red Ron
2/2/2006, 10:48 PM
49ers vs Bengals - Joe Montana's drive to come back and win it in the end.
49ers vs Broncos - cuz I like's me a blow out (55-10 anyone)
49ers vs Chargers - see above

;)

bigdsooner
2/2/2006, 10:51 PM
#8 and
1990 SB 49ers 55 broncos 10
1994 SB 49ers 49 chargers 26
1985 Bears
i hate the Cowboys, but the 52-17 SB was just dominant
seeing Favre and Elway win theirs were pretty cool

TheGodfather889
2/2/2006, 11:15 PM
1. Superbowl XXXVI the Patriots beating the Rams
2. Superbowl XXXIV the Rams beating the Titans
3. Superbowl XXXII the Broncos beating the Packers
4. Superbowl XXXVIII the Patriots beating the Panthers
5. Superbowl XXV the Giants beating the Bills

NickZeppelin
2/2/2006, 11:23 PM
Titans/Rams would be number 1
Panthers/Pats would be 2
Buffalo/New York Nice kick Norwood
Buffalo/Dallas Pt 2 would be 4. Buffalo led the first half then Emmitt took over the 2nd half. Only one other game from Emmitt was more memorable in my mind. The game against the Giants which he single handedly won.
Pittsburgh/Dallas with Barry winning it all would be 5.

RiddlerOK
2/3/2006, 12:06 AM
I've seen them all. Here's my favorite 10 of all time:

1. Super Bowl XXXVI (New England 20 Saint Louis 17): The Rams appeared to have it won and, they really should've put the Pats away for their second crown in 3 years but, Tom Brady rallied them within field goal range to pull off the upset in the final seconds, thanks to the leg of Adam Vinatieri.

2. Super Bowl XXIII (San Fransisco 20 Cincinnati 16): This was one of the two most competitive Super Bowls and both teams played to the drama. One must have thought Joe Montana was destined to win it when he stepped into the huddle at the beginning of the final 92-yard drive and pointed out John Candy on the sidelines. He saved a perfect slant pass to John Taylor for the final moment, denying Cincinnati its greatest year and dooming the Icky Shuffle and Co. Would the Bengals have won if Stanley Wilson and Tim Krumrie played a complete game?

3. Super Bowl XXXIV (Saint Louis 23 Tennessee 16): Kevin Dyson came within a yard of tying this one as time expired but Steve Jones denied him with a game-saving tackle. Steve McNair rallied the Titans but, for the most part, this game belonged to the story of the year: Kurt Warner and the Greatest Show on Turf. Dick Vermeil finally earned a ring and "retired" for a year.

4. Super Bowl X (Pittsburgh 21 Dallas 17): This Super Bowl marked the true emergence of the game as a national fixture thanks to the aerial acrobatics of Lynn Swann and Pittsburgh establishing itself as a true dynasty under Chuck Noll, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris and the Steel Curtain. The two teams would hook up again three years later and produce nearly the same result, with perhaps even more drama, courtesy of Hollywood Henderson's mouth.

5. Super Bowl XXV (New York Giants 20 Buffalo 19): This game was the most surreal of them all, played during the most tense times of the Persian Gulf War. The patriotism was overwhelming and the participants put on a show. Buffalo's quick strike offense could not ultimately overcome the Giants deliberate clock-milking and Scott Norwood missed a game winning field goal attempt from 47 yards out as time expired, opening the door for the Bills to lose 4 title games in a row.

6. Super Bowl XXXII (Denver 31 Green Bay 24): The Packers outsmarted themselves by scoring and leaving enough time on the clock for John Elway to finally pull off his first Super Bowl triumph. Through sheer will and determination, Elway and Terrell Davis led the Broncos to a touchdown and held off Brett Favre and the Packers in the final minute to win.

7. Super Bowl XXXVIII (New England 32 Carolina 29): Jake Delhomme, DeShaun Foster and Mushin Muhammed turned the fourth quarter into an aerial comeback circus before Tom Brady worked his magic and Adam Vinatieri once again delivered a knockout kick to provide the difference in the game. This game definitely had the most exciting fourth quarter of them all.

8. Super Bowl XVIII (Los Angeles Raiders 38 Washington 9): This game merits a place because, other than Super Bowl III, this is the biggest upset in the game's long history. The Redskins marched through their regular season schedule with sheer dominance and destroyed the Rams and 49ers in the playoffs. Although the Raiders had a great regular season record, they didn't receive the same amount of national attention. Maybe they should have because they took the Redskins apart, starting the onslaught in the second quarter. Marcus Allen capped a stunning blowout with a spine-tingling 74 yard touchdown run after reversing his field on a left-sweep. Joe Theismann was also bullied into a forgettable performance by Lyle Alzado and the Raiders defense.

9. Super Bowl XXVIII (Dallas 30 Buffalo 13): This game established Dallas as the dominant team of the 90's and Emmitt Smith as one of the greatest backs of all time, after his performance in the 3rd quarter, carrying the team on his back. The sheer rage on his face after scoring his second TD was captured in a photographic instant as Buffalo would never recover. The Bills disappeared into ignonamy by losing their 4th consecutive championship game.

10. Super Bowl XVI (San Fransisco 26 Cincinnati 21): Back in the early 80's, Dallas and Pittsburgh were the two recognized dynasties of the NFL. Little did many know what was to come, when Bill Walsh and Joe Montana became the chief architects of a 49er dynasty that would last through 5 Super Bowls in 13 years. With a cast of unknowns, and a ferocious defense that turned away the Bengals at the goal line late in the 3rd quarter, San Fransisco won the first Super Bowl in a winter city, forever changing the landscape of the NFL for years to come.

Salt City Sooner
2/3/2006, 12:21 AM
"Would the Bengals have won if Stanley Wilson and Tim Krumrie played a complete game?"
Don't know about that, but they'd have won if Lewis Billups could've caught an interception that hit him squarely between the 2 & 4. As is, he dropped it, & Jerry Rice was celebrating in the endzone 30 seconds later. :mad: A healthy Boomer wouldn't have hurt matters either. He had a wet noodle for an arm & Frisco knew it, & as a result, flooded the line of scrimmage & Cincy could do very little about it.

As history would have it, my Bengals got to the big show twice. They also had the pleasure of facing Joe Montana twice. Neat. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Brasky7
2/3/2006, 12:51 AM
7. Redskins 27, Dolphins 17 (1983): Riggo runs wild. Also, Fulton Walker of the Dolphins did this for the first time in a SB, what was it?

he was the first player to return a kick for a touchdown...

King Crimson
2/3/2006, 01:06 AM
i'd have more support for XXIII, but i've become insanely tired of listening to Boomer talk about it (and himself) over the years.

the guy *cannot* do a sunday night radio b-cast without mentioning it at least 2-3 times.

otherwise, not a big fan of the Super Bore. doesn't really hold much meaning for me. i'd rather watch a college hoops double-header.

salth2o
2/3/2006, 09:21 AM
any Super Bowl that the Cowboys won

Sooner04
2/3/2006, 12:31 PM
5. Super Bowl XXV (New York Giants 20 Buffalo 19): This game was the most surreal of them all, played during the most tense times of the Persian Gulf War. The patriotism was overwhelming and the participants put on a show. Buffalo's quick strike offense could not ultimately overcome the Giants deliberate clock-milking and Scott Norwood missed a game winning field goal attempt from 47 yards out as time expired, opening the door for the Bills to lose 4 title games in a row.
How fitting that the colors of both the Giants and Bills were red, white and blue.

goodonya
2/3/2006, 12:35 PM
As a Cowboy fan since 1962 my favorites to watch on TV were:

1972 Dallas 24 Miami 3
1978 Dallas 27 Denver 10
1993 Dallas 52 Buffalo 24
1994 Dallas 30 Buffalo 13
1996 Dallas 27 Pittsburgh 17 (Barry screams at Jerry ..are ya' havin' fun yet?)

Least favorites to watch on TV:
1971 Baltimore 16 Dallas 13 (I hated O'Brien for years)
1976 Pittsburgh 21 Dallas 17
1979 Pittsburgh 35 Dallas 31 (Especially painful but the Steelers were good)

Favorites to watch from the stands:

1998 Denver 31 Green Bay 24 in San Diego
Showed up without tix and got them for face just at kickoff. Sat on the 35 14 rows up. We thought we'd won the lottery until....

1999 Denver 34 Atlanta 19 in Miami.

Friend and I stay with relatives in Port St. Lucie and go play the blue monster at Doral early in the morning on game day. On the way we cruise the stadium and find a guy that sells us "special seating tix". He's handicapped and says he gets them each year. We're suspicious but pay $500 ea. We go play golf (I shoot a legit 81) on the monster wondering all the time if we got hosed. We get to the stadium and we get lead to our seats via the dressing room corridor. We walk right past the "green rooms" where Kiss is getting in character, past Cher, Gloria Estafan (sp?) and Stevie Wonder. We keep looking around to see if anyone notices we're not supposed to be there. We get ushered to our seats on the 1st row next to some wheel chair spaces on the 50-yd line. We are stunned. Later the guy we bought the tix from comes wheelin' his chair up with his son and we buy thier food and drinks for the night. Right behind us are the glitteratti. I'll end this by saying that you can in no way understand the grandeur of a super bowl without being at one. I've never been able to watch one on TV since without feeling like an outsider.

Pricetag
2/3/2006, 01:23 PM
I'll go with Giants vs. Bills, Superbowl XXV. I didn't actually get to sit down and watch that game. I was at work at the grocery store that night, but they had the game on in the video department. It seemed like every time I stopped by to watch a little bit, the lead had changed.

Big Red Ron
2/3/2006, 01:52 PM
I hate the Cowboys (they're in texas ya know). Groing up, my favorite team was whomever was playing the cowboys.

Danny "dipschit" White

owenfieldreams
2/3/2006, 10:33 PM
.....in person. The 1991 Super Bowl between the Giants & Bills.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/4/2006, 02:07 AM
I'll go with Giants vs. Bills, Superbowl XXV. I didn't actually get to sit down and watch that game. I was at work at the grocery store that night, but they had the game on in the video department. It seemed like every time I stopped by to watch a little bit, the lead had changed.
Who works during the Super Bowl? I thought this was supposed to be a national holiday and everything.:rolleyes:

wishbonesooner
2/5/2006, 04:27 PM
The memory of Jackie Smith dropping that sure TD still brings fond memories for the Steeler fan.

goodonya
2/5/2006, 04:40 PM
Jackie Smith should never be allowed inside the state of Texas.

OUthunder
2/5/2006, 06:25 PM
Switzer's SB win.

bluedogok
2/5/2006, 10:11 PM
I hate the 49'rs, but the game against the Bengals was probably the best game. The Rams-Titans games with the stop at the 1 yard line as the clock ran out was good also.

RacerX
2/5/2006, 10:45 PM
Definitely XL!

BudSooner
2/5/2006, 11:24 PM
85 Bears and Pats, 78(maybe it was 79)Raiders and 'Boys,2001 Pats and Rams, 2003 Bucs and Raiders.

NickZeppelin
2/6/2006, 12:06 AM
I hate the 49'rs, but the game against the Bengals was probably the best game.

Which one? Both were good games.

shavedmarmoset
2/6/2006, 02:52 AM
If Leon Lett had scored, it would have been 59-17.

Heh. Leon Lett. Poor guy.