PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Gov wants some!

achiro
2/2/2006, 09:08 PM
I guess she has a bunch of support from fellow coonasses.

It is about time she got tough! Pay us our due or watch gas prices go through the ceiling when we shutdown offshore production.

We want out coastal marshes back. The ones the oil companies have destroyed!

Story below;

Blanco threatens federal government on oil leases

07:56 PM CST on Wednesday, February 1, 2006
Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Gov. Kathleen Blanco is demanding that the federal government give Louisiana more of the billions in royalties from oil and natural gas extracted off its coastlines and is threatening to block future leases without an increase in the state's share.

Associated Press

Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco

Blanco's warning, in a letter this week to the federal agency that manages offshore drilling, comes as the state is struggling to finance up to $40 billion in hurricane recovery and protection projects.

Louisiana officials have been repeatedly rejected over the years in their bids to get more federal oil and gas money from the offshore drilling.

But they say the state is owed a greater share of the dollars because it provides vital infrastructure used by the oil and gas industry and because wetlands and coastline have been damaged by the deep canals carved into Louisiana's marshes and dredging from the industry.

"I am getting pressure from our coastal parishes to consider using the option to object to future oil and gas lease sales off our coast," Blanco said in astatement released with her letter to the Mineral Management Service. "This is not my preference, but the pressure is mounting to take a stronger stand."

Coastal states receive only a fraction of the billions of dollars the federal government gets from the offshore leases and activities each year while interior states get half of the royalties from drilling on their land.

Blanco wants Louisiana to receive 50 percent of the royalties from the oil and gas produced beyond its three-mile boundary -- which would equal more than $2 billion a year.

The state currently gets 27 percent of royalties produced between three miles and six miles offshore. For oil and gas production in the Gulf of Mexico beyond six miles offshore, Louisiana received just $32 million of the $5.7 billion the federal government brought in.

Under federal law, for lease sales to go through, governors in adjacent states must agree that the sales are consistent with their states' coastal management plans. Blanco's letter said Louisiana was being asked to "continue its role as the workhorse" for offshore oil and gas production without provisions and assistance to maintain and repair its coastline.

The Minerals Management Service has not completed its review of Blanco's letter and had no response Wednesday, an agency spokesman said.

The U.S. interior secretary, who oversees the Minerals Management Service, could overrule Blanco if she attempts to block the next lease sale. But Sidney Coffee, Blanco's executive assistant for coastal activities, said Blanco could appeal and eventually take the matter to court.

Blanco's letter this week is the closest the state has come to rejecting a lease sale, Coffee said.

The next lease sale is set for August.

Larry Wall, spokesman for the Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association, said the organization supports Louisiana's efforts to get an additional share of the offshore dollars, but it doesn't back the governor's threat to hold up leases.

"If you stop leases, you stop creating jobs, you stop sustaining jobs and you put a crimp in the industry," Wall said.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 10:58 PM
Pfffft. I wish she'd try it. They tried a stunt like that back in the 1860's, along with a few other southern states and got their coonarses handed to them too.

Hello, does any elected official down there have any sense at all? Sheesh.

Louisiana...too small for an independent republic, too large for an insane asylum.

SicEmBaylor
2/2/2006, 11:15 PM
They tried a stunt like that back in the 1860's, along with a few other southern states and got their coonarses handed to them.
:( :( :(

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 11:24 PM
:( :( :(

Please tell me you aren't one of those neo-Confederate, "Hell No I Ain't Fergettin," "Lee Surrendered, I Didn't" types.

yermom
2/2/2006, 11:50 PM
i can kinda see where they are coming from here

we are talking billions of dollars going somewhere while that state doesn't even have money to rebuild

why should they get such a small fraction when other states get half?

Okla-homey
2/3/2006, 12:21 AM
why should they get such a small fraction when other states get half?

Because that's the deal they negotiated and contracted for with the federal government. I guess Alabama and Mississippi's governors were just better bargainers. Now Blanco wants to play hardball which smacks of desperation. You don't hear Haley Barbour, (Gov. of MS) raising caine over all this and his state is poorer than LA by half, and sustained more widespread damage from Katrina than LA did yet he doesn't have the vast refining operations that bring in tons of coin like LA.

yermom
2/3/2006, 12:28 AM
yeah, but it's a lease, it's temporary

why shouldn't they renegotiate for a new agreement when the old one is up?

FaninAma
2/3/2006, 02:06 AM
Please tell me you aren't one of those neo-Confederate, "Hell No I Ain't Fergettin," "Lee Surrendered, I Didn't" types.

No, I'm a states rights type guy who thinks Abe Lincoln suffered brain damage from inadequate nutrition during his childhood.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2006, 02:17 AM
Well, in the interest of disclosure. Yes, I've been involved in Confederate Re-Enacting growing up, and was a chapter, state, and national officer in the Children of the Confederacy.

But am I a let's destroy the Union and bring back the Confederacy guy? Absolutely not.

Okla-homey
2/3/2006, 06:36 AM
yeah, but it's a lease, it's temporary

why shouldn't they renegotiate for a new agreement when the old one is up?

Re-negotiation is one thing, threatening us all that if she doesn't get the deal she wants she's going to take LA off-shore production off-line is another matter entirely. I understand being a native Louisianian and having grown up in and among LA politicians she's quite accustomed to using extortion as a fund-raising technique, but individual states usually aren't allowed to extort money from the rest of the union.

Jerk
2/3/2006, 07:08 AM
Pfffft. I wish she'd try it. They tried a stunt like that back in the 1860's, along with a few other southern states and got their coonarses handed to them too.

Hello.

I don't know, dude. I bet if the North didn't have 3x the population, they would have lost. You're the history guy: weren't their losses in the first several years atrocious?

If Lee would have kept his Army in Virginia, how would the North win?

Okla-homey
2/3/2006, 07:44 AM
I don't know, dude. I bet if the North didn't have 3x the population, they would have lost. You're the history guy: weren't their losses in the first several years atrocious?

If Lee would have kept his Army in Virginia, how would the North win?

Yes, Lee's ANV was very successful until the high tide at Gettysburg. The principal western Confederate army however (called the Army of Tennessee) was a hard-luck outfit whose only significant victory was at Chickamauga in September 1863.

It was only a matter of time after Lincoln gave command in the east to Sam Grant shortly after Gettysburg. Grant, unlike previous federal commanders in the east understood it wasn't about taking Richmond or a single decisive victory -- but was more about remaining engaged with Lee and bleeding his army white in continuous fighting. Rather like our current strategy against Al-Qaeda in the current war.

IMHO, the federal blockade of the southern ports, the splitting in two of the Confederacy when they lost the Mississippi at Vickburg on July 4 1863, and the dysfunctional Confederate government also doomed the South.