PDA

View Full Version : Since we've been pondering hillbillisms all day...

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 07:49 PM
Do people in western OK still drink beer with tomato juice in it?

Back in the mid 80's, we flew a flight of B-52G's to the old abandoned Clinton-Sherman AFB for some bare base ops exercises, and I remember going out to some 'tonk in Burns Flat that served "red beer." It didn't taste too bad as I recall, but it sure looked wierd. Kinda like someone's "water" who had a bad bladder infection ifyaknowhatImean?

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 07:51 PM
Dude, that's not just a western Oklahoma thing.....red beers/tomato beers are good stuff. I don't drink them very often, but I do like them.

It's basically a hillbilly Bloody Mary.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 07:55 PM
Dude, that's not just a western Oklahoma thing.....red beers/tomato beers are good stuff. I don't drink them very often, but I do like them.

It's basically a hillbilly Bloody Mary.

Well we sure didn't drink beer that way in southern OK, and I haven't encountered it up here in "Green Country" yet either. I just figured it was a western OK thang. Seriously, in that 'tonk, when you ordered a pitcher of beer, that's the way it came. You had to specify if you didn't want "red beer."

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 07:57 PM
I'm thinking their popularity might've peaked some time ago so you just don't see them around much anymore. I don't know that people drank them one after the other, I always heard of them being a good "hangover cure".

OklahomaTrombone
2/2/2006, 08:00 PM
Speaking of beer......I saw Choc in Reasors

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 08:03 PM
Speaking of beer......I saw Choc in Reasors

bad sign. 3.2 Choc is not what the Good Lord intended.

SOONER44EVER
2/2/2006, 08:06 PM
When I was out in the panhandle we all drank red beers. We even took our dogs in the bar with us. Guys drinking red beers in a bar with their dogs. What could be better?

SoonerBorn68
2/2/2006, 08:21 PM

Exactly. Why would I want to water down my already water downed beer. I like red beer, but it's mainly a hangover cure...if there's any beer left. :D

OklahomaTrombone
2/2/2006, 08:25 PM

Yeah...I kinda did a double take as it was next to Boulevard Wheat.

TUSooner
2/2/2006, 08:37 PM
Only time I ever saw & drank a red beer was SE of OKC. Never saw one being drunk in Bessie.

GottaHavePride
2/2/2006, 09:32 PM
People used to order red beers all the time when I worked as a waiter in Kansas. I can't see why anyone would want to mess up a good beer with tomato juice.

poon4heisman2006
2/2/2006, 10:28 PM
MMMMM... red beer.

It's good with tomato juice, snappy tom, or spicy bloody mary mix.

bigdsooner
2/2/2006, 10:35 PM
i like beer plain too much to add anything to it

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 10:51 PM
MMMMM... red beer.

It's good with tomato juice, snappy tom, or spicy bloody mary mix.

but NEVAR "Clamato"

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 10:52 PM
When I was out in the panhandle we all drank red beers. We even took our dogs in the bar with us. Guys drinking red beers in a bar with their dogs. What could be better?

There were some dogs in that 'tonk in Burns Flat alright.

Cam
2/3/2006, 07:12 PM
People used to order red beers all the time when I worked as a waiter in Kansas. I can't see why anyone would want to mess up a good beer with tomato juice.
They're good when you're hung over. You get the vitamins of the tomato juice with all the goodness that barley and hops has to offer.

2/3/2006, 07:19 PM
Ice-cold V8 does the trick.

poon4heisman2006
2/3/2006, 07:29 PM
but NEVAR "Clamato"

Amen to that.

royalfan5
2/3/2006, 07:39 PM
Red Beer is pretty common in Nebraska as well. People will also bust out orange beer from time to time as well. Also the Red Beer up here includes worschetershire sauce as well.