PDA

View Full Version : Internet 2.0 may very well suck donkey nuts

Ike
2/2/2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060213/chester

TUSooner
2/2/2006, 04:48 PM
Everything's for sale !!!
One day we'll wake up and be PWN3D!!11 (and we should have seen in coming)

Harry Beanbag
2/2/2006, 04:51 PM
I couldn't stomach reading the whole article.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted I guess.

handcrafted
2/2/2006, 04:58 PM
The internet was fun a few years ago. Now it's just a big pain in the ***.

If this happens, then I predict that someone will get an underground 'net going that bypasses all the commercial crap and that can be accessed for free, like the good ol' days. Heh. Internet Free America. :D

SoonerWood
2/2/2006, 05:03 PM
I'll just buy some extra hard drives and backup the internet to my computer. You all can have free access and stuff.

Ike
2/2/2006, 05:04 PM
The internet was fun a few years ago. Now it's just a big pain in the ***.

If this happens, then I predict that someone will get an underground 'net going that bypasses all the commercial crap and that can be accessed for free, like the good ol' days. Heh. Internet Free America. :D

I suspect the same thing too. in doing so, I also suspect that the internet will become a fractured thing, and that whole areas of 'cyberspace' will become inaccessible depending on who your service provider is.

NormanPride
2/2/2006, 05:04 PM
You know, if stuff like this passes, it would just be proof that the government isn't really thinking about us. Especially when businesses speak so much louder. Oh well.

SoonerWood
2/2/2006, 05:06 PM
It'll be like Internet 'channels'

Ike
2/2/2006, 05:08 PM
It'll be like Internet 'channels'

heh....with 2 useful channels, and 324873029415872 informercial channels.

yermom
2/2/2006, 05:09 PM
yay, like the old days with AOL and Prodigy

Ike
2/2/2006, 05:15 PM
yay, like the old days with AOL and Prodigy
ugh....and bbs's too. anyone remember those.

yermom
2/2/2006, 05:16 PM
yeah, those were the days

the bad old days

chriscappel
2/2/2006, 05:19 PM
Big Brother is watching you.........

Widescreen
2/2/2006, 05:33 PM
I can't imagine the worst case scenario would happen. The Internet is what it is and there will be hell to pay if there are substantial changes. There are way too many commercial interests that depend on the Internet behaving exactly as it always has. Not to mention the fact that the Internet is not an America-exclusive medium. This would have nasty international ramifications as well.

SoonerWood
2/2/2006, 05:40 PM
will this also affect the innerweb?

Ike
2/2/2006, 05:45 PM
I can't imagine the worst case scenario would happen. The Internet is what it is and there will be hell to pay if there are substantial changes. There are way too many commercial interests that depend on the Internet behaving exactly as it always has. Not to mention the fact that the Internet is not an America-exclusive medium. This would have nasty international ramifications as well.

one would hope anyway. still, the worst case scenario has to always be considered when proposing dramatic changes...

Harry Beanbag
2/2/2006, 06:01 PM
one would hope anyway. still, the worst case scenario has to always be considered when proposing dramatic changes...

Exactly. That's why I'm so thankful John Kerry lost, because he was the worst case scenario. ;)

GottaHavePride
2/2/2006, 06:21 PM
If all that crap were to happen, Google would rule the world. They've been buying up hundreds of thousands of miles of buried fiber-optic cable for years to pave the way for their own network running parallel to the innerweb.

ouflak
2/2/2006, 06:31 PM
Well back when the internet started, I remember when there were very few websites in general and it seemed like 2 out of every 3 wanted to charge you for visiting their site. Heh, those were some good ole days. Anyway it all changed ofcourse. There's just no way charging somebody to do something that tens of thousands, now tens of millions, of others can do free will ever lead to a competitive business model. If these companies really don't have any advisors that were around when the internet started, then they deserve the brutal loss of investment they are about to take trying to build this 'internet 2.0'. I just hope it doesn't hurt Verizon too much (that's who my email is with).

Sooner_Bob
2/2/2006, 06:52 PM
oh boy . . .

OUinFLA
2/2/2006, 09:16 PM
maybe all I could afford would be "getting a real life" again.