PDA

View Full Version : In honor of Groundhog Day

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 01:16 PM
This morning, Mrs Homey announced she is serving fried chicken livers and gizzards, homemade mac-n-cheese and string beans tonight!!!!

Periodically, we like to harken back to our hillbilly roots and eat high on the hog like that.

that is all.

soonerbrat
2/2/2006, 01:22 PM
is that traditional groundhog day fare?

fadada1
2/2/2006, 01:26 PM
add in cudzoo and you've got yerself a meal.

IB4OU2
2/2/2006, 01:26 PM
This morning, Mrs Homey announced she is serving fried chicken livers and gizzards, homemade mac-n-cheese and string beans tonight!!!!

Periodically, we like to harken back to our hillbilly roots and eat high on the hog like that.

that is all.

I love fried chicken livers and gizzards........been awhile since I had any. The wife will only cook beef liver smothered in onions and it's been forever since I had that. Hillbilly grub is good stuff.

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2006, 01:33 PM
HER: They say we're young and we don't know
We won't find out until we grow
HIM: Well I don't know if all that's true
'Cause you got me, and baby I got you

HIM: Babe
BOTH: I got you babe
I got you babe

HER: They say our love won't pay the rent
Before it's earned, our money's all been spent
HIM: I guess that's so, we don't have a pot
But at least I'm sure of all the things we got

I got you babe

HIM: I got flowers in the spring
I got you to wear my ring
HER: And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always around

HER: Don't let them say your hair's too long
'Cause I don't care, with you I can't go wrong
HIM: Then put your little hand in mine
There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb

I got you babe

HIM: I got you to hold my hand
HER: I got you to understand
HIM: I got you to walk with me
HER: I got you to talk with me
I got you to kiss goodnight
I got you to hold me tight
I got you, I won't let go
I got you to love me so

I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe

bigdsooner
2/2/2006, 01:34 PM
ive tried both, i cant do it, two of the worst tastes ive ever had

crawfish
2/2/2006, 01:35 PM
Livers and gizzards. Ugh.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 01:38 PM
I love fried chicken livers and gizzards........been awhile since I had any. The wife will only cook beef liver smothered in onions and it's been forever since I had that. Hillbilly grub is good stuff.

Sometimes, the chicken packer messes up and you also get a chicken heart or two in your package of livers and gizzards. That's always a happy little bonus. Kinda like two prizes in your Cracker Jacks.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 01:41 PM
ive tried both, i cant do it, two of the worst tastes ive ever had

It's an acquired taste. Like chitlins, oysters...and beer.

Honestly now, who do you know when they took their first swig of beer in high school said, "MMMmmm, thats a tasty beverage!" After all, its the pour-off juice from rotten wheat, barley and hops soaked in water.:O

IB4OU2
2/2/2006, 01:44 PM
Sometimes, the chicken packer messes up and you also get a chicken heart or two in your package of livers and gizzards. That's always a happy little bonus. Kinda like two prizes in your Cracker Jacks.

Hearts are good too. The neck has less meat but is also good. When I was a boy we never wasted any of the yard bird and I was always a dark meat
connoiseur. :)

bigdsooner
2/2/2006, 01:44 PM

:eek:
wrong man...way wrong

soonerscuba
2/2/2006, 01:46 PM
Honestly now, who do you know when they took their first swig of beer in high school said, "MMMmmm, thats a tasty beverage!" After all, its the pour-off juice from rotten wheat, barley and hops soaked in water.:O

True, but I've never brought a co-ed home after a long night of eating livers and gizzards.

bigdsooner
2/2/2006, 01:50 PM
It's an acquired taste. Like chitlins, oysters...and beer.

im the black sheep of the family on this issue. my brother and myself are the only two that hate them, it really is one of the worst tastes ive ever had. when people talk about how good they are...i cant relate at all

ive always liked beer ;)

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 01:52 PM
im the black sheep of the family on this issue. my brother and myself are the only two that hate them, it really is one of the worst tastes ive ever had. when people talk about how good they are...i cant relate at all

ive always liked beer ;)

AH HAH! Then you admit your latent hillbilliness as evidenced by the fact fried chicken livers and gizzards have been served and enjoyed in your childhood home. Good for you!

JohnnyMack
2/2/2006, 01:53 PM
I'm having sushi tonight.

sushi pwns fried gizzards.

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 01:54 PM
I think I'd eat a chicken liver/gizzard before I would eat beef liver and onions.

pb4ou
2/2/2006, 01:54 PM
chicken livers make good catfish bait

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 01:57 PM
chicken livers make good catfish bait

speshuly after they've sat in their little plastic tub in the hot sun on your dock or boat for day or two. Stinky, slimey catfish crack.

pb4ou
2/2/2006, 01:59 PM
oh yeah, then that stuff gets all over your hands. Smelly. Thank heaven for the old bar of soap in the tackle box.

bigdsooner
2/2/2006, 02:01 PM
AH HAH! Then you admit your latent hillbilliness as evidenced by the fact fried chicken livers and gizzards have been served and enjoyed in your childhood home. Good for you!

yep, for many years.
just not by me

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 02:02 PM
oh yeah, then that stuff gets all over your hands. Smelly. Thank heaven for the old bar of soap in the tackle box.

Something else that works well is toothpaste. The old man used to keep a tube in his tackle box for just that purpose. After handling stink baits, he'd just squirt an inch of toothpaste onto his hands, rub them together, rinse and the funk was replaced with minty freshness.

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 02:04 PM
Something else that works well is toothpaste. The old man used to keep a tube in his tackle box for just that purpose. After handling stink baits, he'd just squirt an inch of toothpaste onto his hands, rub them together, rinse and the funk was replaced with minty freshness.

My pops used to make his own catfish bait and it was the opposite of stink bait. It smelled good enough to eat.

Box of Wheaties
Can of Strawberry Crush
Dash of Vanilla flavoring

Mash together, make into ball, put on hook.

pb4ou
2/2/2006, 02:05 PM
My pops used to make his own catfish bait and it was the opposite of stink bait. It smelled good enough to eat.

Box of Wheaties
Can of Strawberry Crush

Did he mash up the wheaties??

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 02:06 PM
Did he mash up the wheaties??

Yeah, mix it all up into mush....if I remember correctly.

pb4ou
2/2/2006, 02:07 PM
cool must try that sometime

soonerscuba
2/2/2006, 02:08 PM

Box of Wheaties
Can of Strawberry Crush

To expose my hillbilly roots, this **** works.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 02:09 PM

Box of Wheaties
Can of Strawberry Crush

Dang, that's inspired! He could then use that same concoction as breading for the catfish filets. Sorta like the circle of life or something.

soonerscuba
2/2/2006, 02:09 PM
I never added Vanilla though.

IB4OU2
2/2/2006, 02:10 PM
I think I'd eat a chicken liver/gizzard before I would eat beef liver and onions.

I'd like either one. It's been along time since Iv'e had them. I did eat the heart of a deer I killed a few years ago, sauteed in wine it was really good and tasty.

IB4OU2
2/2/2006, 02:12 PM

Box of Wheaties
Can of Strawberry Crush

That ain't catfish bait, thats carp bait! FYI

Tiptonsooner
2/2/2006, 02:58 PM
I love the taste of liver, but the after taste a few seconds after swallowing that crap is rough. I don't think you should eat the filter out of anything.

Boiled elk heart, then fried in butter with onions and mushrooms. THat is hillbilly goodness.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 03:01 PM
That ain't catfish bait, thats carp bait! FYI

I draw the line at carp. Them's just big goldfish without the colorful scalage.
Boney as heck too.

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 03:04 PM
I draw the line at carp. Them's just big goldfish without the colorful scalage.
Boney as heck too.

They eat 'em on Iron Chef.

Just sayin'.....

soonerscuba
2/2/2006, 03:31 PM

Just sayin'.....

Well, if the Japanese eat it, it must be normal.

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 03:32 PM
Well, if the Japanese eat it, it must be normal.

Exactly.

Plus, they eat all kinda innards and whatnot.

frankensooner
2/2/2006, 04:00 PM
If not for my diet, I could go for some of that chewy goodness that is gizzards. I was never a big liver fan, but my hillbilly parents et em up. When I was about 10 the folks took me to a calf fry, and neglected to tell me what it was until after dinner, but I would eat it again, I guess.

IB4OU2
2/2/2006, 04:53 PM

Just sayin'.....

The carp or the board it was cooked on?

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 04:56 PM
The carp or the board it was cooked on?

The carp. They ain't crazy.

IB4OU2
2/2/2006, 05:04 PM
The board. They ain't crazy.