PDA

View Full Version : This just in from our de-frocked minister desk.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 12:50 PM
http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/4049/060202a9exmin47004a9pair24cy.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
"My client must walk because there's nothing illegal about hitting on another adult human in this state" I think he has a point

Ex-minister pleads not guilty
By BARBARA HOBEROCK
World Capitol Bureau
2/2/2006

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Former Tulsa Baptist minister Lonnie Latham pleaded not guilty Wednesday to one misdemeanor count of offering to engage in a lewd act.

Latham, who resigned from his position as senior minister of the South Tulsa Baptist Church, was arrested Jan. 3 on allegations that he invited a male undercover Oklahoma City police officer to a hotel room for oral sex.

"We have very serious doubts about the validity of the charge," said Mack Martin, Latham's Oklahoma City attorney.

Martin filed a motion Wednesday in Oklahoma County District Court seeking to have the charges dismissed on several grounds.

The motion says the statute that was used to charge Latham does not cover noncommercial offers to engage in oral sex, and it says there is no evidence that Latham offered money for the act.

"Offering to engage in a lewd act with any person, not his or her spouse, without the element of 'in exchange for money or any other thing of value,' " has not been a crime in Oklahoma since 1992, the motion says. [thank goodness]:eek:

It argues that Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane's application of the statute violates Latham's right to privacy.

The government does not have the right to regulate a person's sexual activities, the motion says.

Martin argued in his filing that a law that "prohibits engaging in discussion of private, adult, consensual, noncommercial sexual activity" between people who are not married, but which allows the same activity for married couples, "lacks a legitimate government interest and thus is unconstitutional and illegal."

"To hold otherwise would allow the state to dictate its moral beliefs upon its citizens in conflict with the essence of the United States and the Oklahoma Constitution."

The statute violates Latham's right to be treated the same as others under the law and is unequally applied to gay people, the motion says.

"Police officers are not out carousing the singles clubs and parks in an attempt to arrest heterosexual parties for offering to engage" in sex acts, the motion says. "But the police are constantly arresting homosexual men for 'offering to engage' in what the statute defines as . . . lewd behavior."

Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane had not seen the motion late Wednesday and could not comment, said Debra Forshee, a spokeswoman for his office.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed a friend of the court brief Wednesday supporting Latham's position. [how's that for "politics making strange bedfellows?']

"The Supreme Court has made it crystal-clear that, when it comes to their sex lives, consenting adults are free to do whatever they please in private," said Joann Bell, executive director of the ACLU of Oklahoma Foundation.

"According to the police report, Rev. Latham did nothing more than invite another man to his hotel room for consensual sex," she continued. "It is not a crime merely to invite someone to have completely lawful sex. If it were otherwise, every bar in the state may as well shut its doors." [w00t!]

Forshee said the Oklahoma County District Attorney's Office "follows all applicable Oklahoma state statutes and the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals decisions."

"The ACLU may take a different stance than we do," she said. "We are bound by the Court of Criminal Appeals, not the ACLU."

The next hearing in the case is scheduled for March 9.

After his arrest, Latham resigned from his positions as a board member of the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma, executive committee member of the Southern Baptist Convention and pastor of South Tulsa Baptist Church.

Church administrator Russell Slack said the church has formed a search committee to seek a new minister, and an interim pastor will start Sunday.

He said he was not free to discuss Latham's plans.

"I don't expect Dr. Latham will ever be back on staff here, but he could serve someplace," he said.

Latham won't discuss the matter.

World religion editor Bill Sherman contributed to this story.

barbara Hoberock (405) 528-2465
[email protected]

yermom
2/2/2006, 12:58 PM
i never was quite sure why he was charged with anything since there was no money involved

after that whole Texas sodomy law reversal thing i don't see what he did that was wrong (legally, Tuba, et al ;))

Jimminy Crimson
2/2/2006, 12:59 PM
I like the way you talk...

:mack:

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 01:01 PM
I bet Lid could get him off...

;) :D

oumartin
2/2/2006, 01:01 PM
so, babtist ministers and lawyers look alike! kinda shady and creepy!
I cannot tell which one is the lawyer and which one is the errrrr.. was the babtist minister.

yermom
2/2/2006, 01:02 PM
I bet Lid could get him off...

;) :D

*rim shot*

Jimminy Crimson
2/2/2006, 01:10 PM
*rim job*

amen? :texan:

yermom
2/2/2006, 01:11 PM
eww

Jimminy Crimson
2/2/2006, 01:14 PM
eww

my thoughts exactly. :mack:

in the picture, does it look like the dude on the left is checkin out the dude on the right? nttawwt

oumartin
2/2/2006, 01:15 PM
one looks like Pete Carrol.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 01:17 PM
one looks like Pete Carrol.

d00d on left is Latham, d00d on right is lawyer.

oumartin
2/2/2006, 01:18 PM
Their left or our left? :D

So, Christopher Plummer(Dragnet) is the perv and Pete is the low life?

Widescreen
2/2/2006, 01:21 PM
I had this conversation with my wife shortly after this all came up. I never heard that there was a suggestion of money changing hands so why was he even arrested? People proposition each other all the time.

oumartin
2/2/2006, 01:23 PM
Just to be safe I only ask. "Hey baby, wanna wrestle?"

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 01:27 PM
Their left or our left? :D

So, Christopher Plummer(Dragnet) is the perv and Pete is the low life?

"Pete Carrol" is the dedicated officer of the court committed to vigorously, legally and capably protecting the constitutional and statutory rights of the accused. The other guy is the perv.

n8v_ndn
2/2/2006, 01:31 PM
Maybe all the negative pub was the ultimate goal...expose his self-hating gayness in the public forum? :confused:

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 01:35 PM
Maybe all the negative pub was the ultimate goal...expose his self-hating gayness in the public forum? :confused:

His case does beg the question of whether the Shakespearean "Methinks Thou Dost Protest Too Much" might have been illuminating applied in the case of a guy who went out of his way to condemn homerseckshools.

oumartin
2/2/2006, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry, lawyers are good people too, just all the jokes about em.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry, lawyers are good people too, just all the jokes about em.

Its okay. Everybody hates lawyers until they get a subpoena.

critical_phil
2/2/2006, 01:43 PM
well, blow me down.......

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2006, 01:44 PM
I think the way he was exposed for this disgusting behavior was justice enough.

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 01:46 PM
I think Latham did the right thing in resigning.

He obviously felt there would be a time and a place to settle his case.

Good that he didn't try to do it from the pulpit IMO.

I bet Latham was just trying to get the gay Officer to repent in private? ;)

oumartin
2/2/2006, 01:47 PM
he resigned to become a Catholic Priest!

critical_phil
2/2/2006, 01:47 PM

or has to deal with an insurance company.........

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 01:50 PM
I like Lawyers it's Attorneys I can't stand. ;)

Taxman71
2/2/2006, 01:51 PM
I think the dad from Alf has an extra room he can stay in.

Jimminy Crimson
2/2/2006, 01:56 PM

Or wins the lottery. :cool:

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 01:57 PM
Or wins the lottery. :cool:
and nobody won again...

180 mil here I come...lol

oumartin
2/2/2006, 01:58 PM
I won, just haven't found my ticket yet.

Jimminy Crimson
2/2/2006, 02:00 PM
and nobody won again...

180 mil here I come...lol

It's all mine!

You can party in my suite at the FOCK though when I win. :D

TexasLidig8r
2/2/2006, 02:11 PM
"Pete Carrol" is the dedicated officer of the court committed to vigorously, legally and capably protecting the constitutional and statutory rights of the accused. The other guy is the alleged perv.

Fixed it... (dang noobie, first year law students!) :rolleyes:

;)

TexasLidig8r
2/2/2006, 02:13 PM
I think the way he was exposed for this disgusting behavior was justice enough.

Now. the question is... was his pontificating against the evils of homosexuality only to engage in the very conduct he was decrying the disgusting part? Or...

Was it wanting to engage in the act of oral gratification with a member of the same sex the disgusting part?

yermom
2/2/2006, 02:17 PM
i have more problems with the former ;)

Pricetag
2/2/2006, 02:19 PM
Yep, the hypocrisy is the worse offense.

critical_phil
2/2/2006, 02:22 PM
other interesting legal tidbits....

according to oklahoma law, property exempt from attachment, execution or other forced sale - bankruptcy proceedings:

10. five milk cows
11. 100 chickens
12. two horses, two bridles, and two saddles
14. $2000 worth of guns
15. 10 hogs
16. 20 sheep

oumartin
2/2/2006, 02:31 PM
#16 was put in for OSU grads.

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 02:34 PM
I won, just haven't found my ticket yet.
When you find it...

Make sure it wasn't last weeks winning number.

Jimminy Crimson
2/2/2006, 02:34 PM
Now. the question is... was his pontificating against the evils of homosexuality only to engage in the very conduct he was decrying the disgusting part? Or...

Was it wanting to engage in the act of oral gratification with a member of the same sex the disgusting part?

They're both pretty sick in my book.

critical_phil
2/2/2006, 02:36 PM
#16 was put in for OSU grads.

it's just a PSA.

if you're thinking about running up debt, put any chickens you might buy on the credit card........

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 02:43 PM
I honestly feel sorry for the guys family. It sure would be tough to remain in a community (and south Tulsa ain't that big) feeling like everywhere you go somebody is pointing you out to their companions and whispering "thats that wierd guy's wife" or "that's one of that sicko ex-preacher's kids."

Him? He's getting his desserts just from the public humiliation. I don't think society is advanced by his prosecution. For that reason, if I were Emperor of Oklahoma County, I'd either grant a dismissal or I'd let him plea some lesser offense, pay a fine, and try to get on with his life.

<shudder>

Scott D
2/2/2006, 03:11 PM
I honestly feel sorry for the guys family. It sure would be tough to remain in a community (and south Tulsa ain't that big) feeling like everywhere you go somebody is pointing you out to their companions and whispering "thats that wierd guy's wife" or "that's one of that sicko ex-preacher's kids."

Him? He's getting his desserts just from the public humiliation. I don't think society is advanced by his prosecution. For that reason, if I were Emperor of Oklahoma County, I'd either grant a dismissal or I'd let him plea some lesser offense, pay a fine, and try to get on with his life.

<shudder>

but shouldn't he feel right at home with as many gays as people keep saying live in Tulsa?

Jimminy Crimson
2/2/2006, 03:13 PM
but shouldn't he feel right at home with as many gays as people keep saying live in Tulsa?

oh, snap!

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 03:14 PM

This coming from Dr Detroit.

:rolleyes:

yermom
2/2/2006, 03:16 PM
i know that's your crowd Pat, but no need to get defensive

Scott D
2/2/2006, 03:16 PM
This coming from Dr Detroit.

:rolleyes:

we relegate the gays to Royal Oak up here...it'd kinda be like Oklahoma putting all the gays in Enid.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 05:17 PM
we relegate the gays to Royal Oak up here...it'd kinda be like Oklahoma putting all the gays in Enid.

or better yet, Slapout.

1stTimeCaller
2/2/2006, 05:27 PM
wouldn't/shouldn't the assistant DA that filed the charges have known that according to the State of Oklahoma this guy did nothing wrong, legally?

I just think it's BS that this perv had to hire an attorney when he did nothing wrong, legally.

IMO. The DA's office should have to pay for the defense when a case gets kicked or the guy is found NG. I also think the defendant should have to pay court costs if found guilty. Oh, wait. Defendants already pay court costs if found guilty but they should be made to pay for prosecution costs.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 05:32 PM
IMO. The DA's office should have to pay for the defense when a case gets kicked or the guy is found NG. I also think the defendant should have to pay court costs if found guilty. Oh, wait. Defendants already pay court costs if found guilty but they should be made to pay for prosecution costs.

What you're saying then is you think us taxpayers should pay a defendant's attorney fees and court costs when the state fails to prove a criminal case beyond reasonable doubt or the case is dismissed?:eek:

1stTimeCaller
2/2/2006, 05:41 PM
What you're saying then is you think us taxpayers should pay a defendant's attorney fees and court costs when the state fails to prove a criminal case beyond reasonable doubt or the case is dismissed?:eek:

yes. Maybe then the People could look at the incumbent DA and say, hey Jack you and your assistant DA's suck, you are fired.

Why should an individual have to pay to hire an attorney when the State screws up?

I know, he could have represented himself but honestly, realistically, that is not an option for 99% of the population.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 05:49 PM
yes. Maybe then the People could look at the incumbent DA and say, hey Jack you and your assistant DA's suck, you are fired.

Why should an individual have to pay to hire an attorney when the State screws up?

I know, he could have represented himself but honestly, realistically, that is not an option for 99% of the population.

That's why defendants in criminal cases generally have the right to a free court-appointed attorney. I know, it does succ to think you may have to defend a civil lawsuit or be accused of a crime and need a lawyer when you did nothing wrong, but its happened for as long as there have been courts.

As an aside, I agree with your sentiments about going commando lawyer-wise into court. Some wag once said, the guy who decides to be his own lawyer has a fool for a client.

1stTimeCaller
2/2/2006, 05:52 PM
to get a court appointed attorney don't you have to prove you are a brokeass?
I'd also heard that if you posted bond/bail you couldn't get a court appointed attorney.

any truth to those rumors I'd heard?

Oldnslo
2/2/2006, 05:55 PM
That's why defendants in criminal cases generally have the right to a free court-appointed attorney. I know, it does succ to think you may have to defend a civil lawsuit or be accused of a crime and need a lawyer when you did nothing wrong, but its happened for as long as there have been courts.

As an aside, I agree with your sentiments about going commando lawyer-wise into court. Some wag once said, the guy who decides to be his own lawyer has a fool for a client.
You've got to show financial need to get a court appointed lawyer. "Pauper's Affidavit" I think is the name of the form one fills out. Plus, in most OK counties, if you make bail, you don't get an attorney.

You don't get a court appointed lawyer in a civil case.

Carry on.

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 05:56 PM
You've got to show financial need to get a court appointed lawyer. "Pauper's Affidavit" I think is the name of the form one fills out. Plus, in most OK counties, if you make bail, you don't get an attorney.

You don't get a court appointed lawyer in a civil case.

Carry on.

So, 1TC is right in saying you're hosed?

yermom
2/2/2006, 06:03 PM
surely that isn't the case

1TC is never right...

TUSooner
2/2/2006, 06:14 PM
Just to be safe I only ask. "Hey baby, wanna rassle?"

Fixed.

Okla-homey
2/2/2006, 07:29 PM
Plus, in most OK counties, if you make bail, you don't get an attorney.

Carry on.

Presumably under the theory that if you can afford to bond out and walk the streets, you could have afforded an attorney -- although that would require you to remain a guest of the state in the county jug.:D

Its also kinda amazing to me that lots of folks don't realize you have no Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in civil cases as you do in criminal matters.

Taxman71
2/3/2006, 10:22 AM
Did somebody say attorney? CALL THIS GUY:

Fri February 3, 2006

Attorney says he wan't driving drunk
By Charles Bassett

We start here at 10 p.m. with a metro attorney arrested for allegedly driving drunk. You've probably seen his commercials on TV. Bill Daniel was picked up Wednesday night after a car accident. And Thursday night his attorney tells Charles Bassett officers crossed the line with the arrest.

Bill Daniel Video (http://newsok.com/video/1750758/)

You have to think cops just love to arrest lawyers (in addition to clergyman).

Frozen Sooner
2/3/2006, 10:43 AM
Damn that ACLU.

Oldnslo
2/3/2006, 11:09 AM
Presumably under the theory that if you can afford to bond out and walk the streets, you could have afforded an attorney -- although that would require you to remain a guest of the state in the county jug.:D

Its also kinda amazing to me that lots of folks don't realize you have no Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in civil cases as you do in criminal matters.
True to both.

FWIW, the 5th amendment issue is why deprived child cases get tried before the criminal case involving the same defendant and acts. The juvie case is civil, so you can take liberties with the defendant who takes the stand... and then use the sworn testimony in the criminal trial. :)

Okla-homey
2/3/2006, 11:44 AM
In case any of you hillbillies get arrested and feel you can't afford a lawyer, here's the form you'll have to fill out to get a freebie. Maybe you should fill it out now while you're still sober:

http://www.occa.state.ok.us/forms/Form%2013.3.doc

C&CDean
2/3/2006, 12:05 PM
Just one more shining example of why I rarely darken the door of the church house.

However, I will be going to church this Sunday. Mom and dad are coming to town, and the wife unit says we're all going to church to make Mom feel better. So, to keep mom happy, I'll go down and hangout with more liars, cheats, adulterers, fakes, phonies, and heathens than if I went to the bar instead. I will do my best to glean out the "message" from all the bull****. And I hope the music is good. There's a very talented choir leader who sometimes sings solos - who is a recent divorcee - I think because she was fooling around with somebody else......