PDA

View Full Version : I see a few reasons for OU to be fired up in 2006...

goingoneight
2/1/2006, 11:22 PM
Oregon: Classy group for the most part who really gave us a run for our money in the Holiday Bowl, escaping them with a strong 14 or more point victory could govern where this Sooner squad goes, provided they are undefeated still at this point.

:texan: : Ooohhh... Texas! Red River Shoot-Out will undoubtedly have the loudest crowd in 35 years of recent history. I would love more than anything to get back those 33 points of scoreboard, but I'll settle for a one-point win if I had to. Any OU RRS victory is a good one. Toast to the National Champions, their going down! :D

aTm: Playing in College Station, though we've been somewhat successful there, will test these Sooners to their limit. If they were holding on for dear life in Norman, while the aggies ran a full-option-offense... this will be the next step along the way, I believe if OU can overcome Nebraska in Lincoln, this will be a 7 pointer in OUr favor.

OSU: Living only to see someone else fail is just sickening. Leave it to a millionaire to support a team because the fans sure as hell won't. I like OU's chances of owning them again, but Boone Pickens Stadium, though small, is not our friend. Remember, bowl-eligible or not, this is their "B*dlam Bowl."

Texas Tech: If we only have one good blow-out game, PLEASE let us smash the Butt-Raiders. OU_5082 T TECH_-3 Let them get some totally bogus calls, too. It urks me that they actually believe they won that...

BASSooner
2/1/2006, 11:27 PM
OUr football team is like a HUGE bulldozer and everyone else in the big 12 are like critters soon to be roadkill. Give Stoops the keys and let em roll.

Octavian
2/1/2006, 11:27 PM
we'll prolly be favored in each of those

KaiserSooner
2/1/2006, 11:40 PM
OU doesn't travel to Lincoln next year. Nebraska's out of our rotation for two seasons. We play CU, Missouri, and Iowa State next season.

TheGodfather889
2/2/2006, 12:39 AM
I can't wait till 2007 when the Miami Hurricanes come to Norman!

Mac94
2/2/2006, 09:49 AM
OU plays Miami in 2007? So does A&M, but we travel to Miami and the Canes will come to Kyle in 2008 (at least that's how it's scheduled right now)

RooseveltRoughRider
2/2/2006, 09:55 AM
How many points does everyone honestly think the Sooners will score on UT?
They scored 1 TD in 2005 and 1 TD in 2004. Before everyone starts whining, someone give me a logical reason. For example...explain to me how OU's offense has gotten that much better or Texas's defense has gotten worse.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/2/2006, 10:05 AM
OU doesn't travel to Lincoln next year. Nebraska's out of our rotation for two seasons. We play CU, Missouri, and Iowa State next season.

Thinking he was talking about the game in Lincoln last season...

NickZeppelin
2/2/2006, 10:11 AM
They scored 1 TD in 2005 and 1 TD in 2004. Before everyone starts whining, someone give me a logical reason. For example...explain to me how OU's offense has gotten that much better or Texas's defense has gotten worse.
I doubt OU scores more then 10 or 14 on Texas with a young offensive line.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/2/2006, 10:19 AM
And don't forget that Oregon isn't going to be a cakewalk. They return that whole friggin' offense.

NickZeppelin
2/2/2006, 10:22 AM
And don't forget that Oregon isn't going to be a cakewalk. They return that whole friggin' offense.

I think they lose a WR and Clemens but now Dixon and Leaf have expierence. No game will be a cakewalk next year.

Sonner magic923
2/2/2006, 10:27 AM
someone give me a logical reason. For example...explain to me how OU's offense has gotten that much better or Texas's defense has gotten worse.

one word Experience

tommie15
2/2/2006, 10:44 AM
and don't forget a game in mid December that will rekindle a great rivalry

BASSooner
2/2/2006, 10:55 AM
Wright, Dibbles, Harris, C. Griffin, and Michael Huff..all gone. That's how texas is worse on defense. They won't suck but they just won't be as good as this year.

the offense of OU gets better because Adrian is a monster and if he is healthy which I think he will be, no one will stop him. Our receivers are great. They started over travis wilson and jejuan rankins at the holiday bowl. Three new running backs come in the class that may see some play time. JJ Finley is great. OL has gotten younger but thats what JUCOs are for. We have 2 of them and if they start, 3/5s of our OL will be upperclassmen. Kevin Wilson is our new OC and he is explosive and dynamic. Rhett Bomar is just going to get better too.

westcoast_sooner
2/2/2006, 11:11 AM
Look, everyone knows that the OL is going to be somewhat young and inexperienced, and that is cause for concern early in the season. But if we make the assumption that we have a healthy AD through the season, that factor alone makes the OU offense a lot better.

Also, Bomar has grown up a lot since the early part of last season. He wasn't throwing well in the first few games, including in the RRS, he didn't have time to throw, and his receivers weren't helping him out much. But later on, he was making better reads, finding the open receiver, and he became a leader.

The new class coming in should have opportunity for significant contributions in 2006. McCoy was amazing in the Army AA game. Murray might make a good receiver coming out of the backfield. Tennell has a chance to make a really good receiving corps great, if he can contribute.

There's no doubt about it, UT returns a lot of their starters from the past season. Their D is going to be very tough. Their offense is still going to be very talented, but ultimately they are going to be missing VY, and replacing him with either a RS or true freshman. There is no question that there will be dropoff at the QB position.

And the RRS is only one game on our schedule. We gotta go to Eugene and play the Ducks, who will be talented. And we have tough conference road games.

But everything depends on the O-Line. If they can get some continuity early on, then I think the outlook is very bright. If not, then the offense will struggle - it's as simple as that. We'll know more about the team when we go to Eugene.

SoonerStormchaser
2/2/2006, 11:16 AM

Huh?

Jason White's Third Knee
2/2/2006, 11:20 AM
I think they lose a WR and Clemens but now Dixon and Leaf have expierence. No game will be a cakewalk next year.

Allow me to rephrase:

They return that whole offense that we played last year (minus a receiver).

They should be pretty damned good and they are loud at home. And I am thinking that colorado will be a cakewalk since we play them in norman... no battery hurling.

NickZeppelin
2/2/2006, 11:23 AM
someone give me a logical reason. For example...explain to me how OU's offense has gotten that much better or Texas's defense has gotten worse.

one word Experience
Texas returns a lot on defense. They do lose some key players. But that defense will be really good. Texas did lose their best defensive tackle but Okam and Miller will be really good. They may dominate our young offensive line.

Our offensive line has less experience then it did a year ago. The offensive line and the defensive backs really scare me.

Jason White's Third Knee

In what sport?

tommie15
Huh?

I fully expect to see OU and NU in the Big XII Championship.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/2/2006, 11:36 AM
I fully expect to see OU and NU in the Big XII Championship.

Oh. Who knows what is going on up there? Iowa State could have taken it last year. It's a mess.

OUTrumpet
2/2/2006, 12:09 PM
Allow me to rephrase:

They return that whole offense that we played last year (minus a receiver).

They should be pretty damned good and they are loud at home. And I am thinking that colorado will be a cakewalk since we play them in norman... no battery hurling.

Didn't UO's running back leave too?

Jason White's Third Knee
2/2/2006, 12:38 PM
Didn't UO's running back leave too?

Cripes! Friggin' knit pickers! Ok! The O line and most of the skill players on offense are coming back. Damn!

ultimatesooner1
2/2/2006, 01:15 PM

this won't happen until you coaching staff and athletic director leave

boomersooner28
2/2/2006, 01:18 PM
Texas returns 16 starters...they will be very tough, but of course QB is the question. The Jevan Snead kid is the REAL deal...can run and throw.

Oregon loses almost the entire DL, both good CB's, but the offense will be back.

Nobody else really scares me.

snp
2/2/2006, 01:45 PM
I'm not too worried about an Oregon offense that only scored 14 points on us. We return a better defense, too.

NickZeppelin
2/2/2006, 01:48 PM
I'm not too worried about an Oregon offense that only scored 14 points on us. We return a better defense, too.

Losing DD will be tough and we'll see if the DBs can shape up.

Funky G
2/2/2006, 02:36 PM
If Peterson plays against UT our offense will be fine. A low scoring game is likely..

Issac Robert
2/2/2006, 02:47 PM
I am excited for next season. The defensive backfield looked really good against the DUCKS, but the O-Line is still a question mark...
Texas will be loaded again, but with Vince gone they will have trouble winning the big games, he refused to lose..
OSU will suck..

snp
2/2/2006, 06:13 PM
Losing DD will be tough and we'll see if the DBs can shape up.

What DB's? The 3 outta 4 that return for the game? And throw in a healthy Marcus Walker. Our secondary will be much better in 06. Much more experienced.

And our D-Line should be fine. We got lots of pressure on them, and although McCoy is no DD, he should be pretty decent as well.

NickZeppelin
2/2/2006, 06:29 PM
If Walker doesn't end up healthy then we have Smith moving to corner we could have 2 new DBs starting. I'm not confident that our defense will be great. Maybe good.

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/2/2006, 08:26 PM
you're never confident about anything OU so what difference does it make what you say?

PDXsooner
2/2/2006, 08:46 PM
OU would have scored 21 on texas by the end of the year.

snp
2/2/2006, 09:06 PM
If Walker doesn't end up healthy then we have Smith moving to corner we could have 2 new DBs starting. I'm not confident that our defense will be great. Maybe good.

Yea, if. He should be healthy by for the first few games, at least.

If Walker stays healthy, we're great.

rainiersooner
2/2/2006, 11:43 PM

More than Texas...

1991SOONER
2/3/2006, 12:00 AM

As long as they score at least 1 more point than UT scores on OU then that's all that matters, right? How many touchdowns did Vince Young and Cedric Benson score on OU in 2004? ZERO:D

Light Beer
2/3/2006, 09:29 AM
Jevan Snead has already enrolled at UT and will attend spring drills. That will help him a little more than just being a true fish in the fall. I would expect no dropoff from the UT defense with the depth they have.

goingoneight
2/4/2006, 02:20 PM

I was referring to this year's game...

goingoneight
2/4/2006, 02:23 PM

two words... Graduation and Experience

fixed...:)

MojoRisen
2/26/2006, 12:23 PM
Texas returns a lot on defense. They do lose some key players. But that defense will be really good. Texas did lose their best defensive tackle but Okam and Miller will be really good. They may dominate our young offensive line.

Our offensive line has less experience then it did a year ago. The offensive line and the defensive backs really scare me.

Our offensive line ought to be used to a monster Defensive line going up against MCCOY, Granger, Pendelton, Simmons, Bennet, AH YOU, Birdine, Thibs, Davis daily.

I don't think Texas will have a better rotation than what OU OLINE will see in practice everyday.

tbl
2/26/2006, 01:17 PM

Two letters: AD

goingoneight
2/26/2006, 09:25 PM
OU would have scored 21 on texas by the end of the year.

Maybe so, but with OU missing tackles, letting interception oppurtunities hit them in the back of the helmet, and leaving huge holes open at the line-- Texas could have scored 50 or more on offense alone versus our 21. Let's just put the facts behind us now that VY finally got his revenge, and because of the way he stuck it out the whole season, he kind of deserved it (my only issue with VY is his rude commentary about Jason White-- I mean, get over it... he showed you up... TWICE!).