PDA

View Full Version : OK dang it I just busted my laptop

LilSooner
2/1/2006, 08:34 PM
the ac adapter plug in is really lose. And its not charging. Where can I take it to?

BajaOklahoma
2/1/2006, 08:45 PM
Brand?
Where did you buy it?

LilSooner
2/1/2006, 08:51 PM
Toshiba satellite A65. On the AC adapter there is a small pin that the plug goes on to well that has snaped off in to the plug. It looks like it they are going to have to replace the power board.

Okieflyer
2/1/2006, 08:51 PM
I had to buy one on ebay!

Sooner_Bob
2/1/2006, 08:53 PM
Toshiba satellite A65. On the AC adapter there is a small pin that the plug goes on to well that has snaped off in to the plug. It looks like it they are going to have to replace the power board.

Would it be more cost effective to buy a new laptop?

LilSooner
2/1/2006, 08:53 PM
Oh and I got it at Best Buy.

LilSooner
2/1/2006, 08:57 PM
no because i still owe 600 bucks on this one.

StoopTroup
2/1/2006, 08:58 PM
Radio shaq

If you try to fix it yourself...

I hope you understand what a hot sync is and why you need one.

I might also recommend the use of an ESD discharge when handling the inside parts if you have to take it apart.

Sooner_Bob
2/1/2006, 09:00 PM
no because i still owe 600 bucks on this one.

ahhhhhhhh . . .

sanantoniosooner
2/1/2006, 09:03 PM
Maybe your new husband can fix it.

sooner_born_1960
2/1/2006, 09:04 PM
Didn't Ike fix something like this recently?

StoopTroup
2/1/2006, 09:05 PM
Surely someone can fix that.

LilSooner
2/1/2006, 09:13 PM
Radio shaq

I might also recommend the use of an ESD discharge when handling the inside parts if you have to take it apart.

You know I don't speak spanish. Anyways I think I figured out whats wrong. It not the actual power board that needs to be replaced it the little jack thingy, and of course my ac adapter. That jack thing is like 10 bucks on line, but since I have to take it back to Best Buy I will be luck if I get out of there for under 200.

StoopTroup
2/1/2006, 10:16 PM
It not the actual power board that needs to be replaced it the little jack thingy, and of course my ac adapter. That jack thing is like 10 bucks on line, but since I have to take it back to Best Buy I will be luck if I get out of there for under 200.
I was thinking that was what you broke.

I just think you might be able to get it fixed cheap.

But probably not at best buy.

BajaOklahoma
2/1/2006, 10:33 PM
Age of the computer?
Warranty? (the only reason that I haven't gone after Micheal Dell is their warranty service is okay)

Octavian
2/1/2006, 10:35 PM
pray

GottaHavePride
2/1/2006, 10:48 PM
A little, locally-run computer repair shop is far more likely to fix exactly what needs to be fixed for cheap. Best Buy is way more likely to tell you "Well, yeah, but that whole piece comes as a unit, so we'll need to replace the whole power board and charge you $300". so unless it will invalidate your warranty, I'd go somewhere else.

Jimminy Crimson
2/1/2006, 11:28 PM
First, I'd call toshiba and see if your warranty would cover it, if not, go to jim, jack, and bob's computers or wherever and have them do it for less than :norm:'s favorite store.

OULOVE
2/1/2006, 11:35 PM
Surely someone can fix that.

I bet McGyver could fix it and don't call me Shirley.

Ike
2/1/2006, 11:36 PM
this kinda crap happens with sattelites (I know, I have one)

all you have to replace is the DC input jack. (about a 10-30 dollar part...I really forget how much they are) If you send it to toshiba, they will just replace the entire motherboard, which will cost a considerable amount more if you you are not still under warranty.

and to be honest, if you feel comfortable with a set of screwdrivers and a soldering iron, you can do it yourself in about 1-2 hours.

Ike
2/1/2006, 11:43 PM
if you wanna do it yourself with the part, follow these steps, up to step 16, to disassemble the laptop. then un-solder the power jack, put the new one on, solder it up, and follow the steps in reverse.

http://irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA65/satA65_1.htm

(also, when re-assembling the laptop, if you removed the heatsink, make sure you re-apply some thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink (its either a white silicon-based substance, or a silvery substance). you can get it for 2 bucks at radioshack or at that computer store just east of campus corner.

Jimminy Crimson
2/1/2006, 11:54 PM
if you wanna do it yourself with the part, follow these steps, up to step 16, to disassemble the laptop. then un-solder the power jack, put the new one on, solder it up, and follow the steps in reverse.

(also, when re-assembling the laptop, if you removed the heatsink, make sure you re-apply some thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink (its either a white silicon-based substance, or a silvery substance). you can get it for 2 bucks at radioshack or at that computer store just east of campus corner.

nerd alert! ;) :D

OULOVE
2/2/2006, 12:00 AM
(McGyver)/ "I would have used a gumwraper, paperclip and a book of matches instead of the solder, but everything else was just like Ike says". /(McGyver)

Ike
2/2/2006, 12:03 AM
oh yeah, and one other tool that might come in handy for such a repair:
a solder-sucker.
http://www.solarbotics.net/library/techniques/pix/sucker.jpg

Jimminy Crimson
2/2/2006, 12:04 AM
oh yeah, and one other tool that might come in handy for such a repair:
a solder-sucker.
http://www.solarbotics.net/library/techniques/pix/sucker.jpg

NSFW! ;)

Ike
2/2/2006, 12:11 AM
NSFW! ;)
heh.

ummmm, I think you're thinking of a different tool entirely....

;)

critical_phil
2/2/2006, 12:20 AM
heh.

ummmm, I think you're thinking of a different tool entirely....

;)

http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper206/rose_pg69.jpg

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 07:02 AM

Radio shaq

I might also recommend the use of an ESD discharge when handling the inside parts if you have to take it apart

I did forget the solder sucker...good stuff.

http://ipfunny.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/pat

LilSooner
2/2/2006, 09:24 AM
holy crap! The only time I use a soldering iron is when I make stained glass. I'm going to take it to BB and if they try to mess with me I will take it to a local guy.

There used to be a place on 1-240 that worked on Toshiba's but they closed down about 2 years ago. Anybody else have a good local computer guy that can help.

Oh, BTW the computer is 2 years old and out of warranty.

Mjcpr
2/2/2006, 09:36 AM
This sounds like a problem for Rhino.

LilSooner
2/2/2006, 10:10 AM
FYI for all you Normanites. Moore Norman Vo Tech will fix your computer for you for 20 bucks. All you have to do is supply the part.

IB4OU2
2/2/2006, 10:16 AM

Is that repair being performed to the J-Std001/IPC-610 standards or the NASA 8739 requirements?

critical_phil
2/2/2006, 10:16 AM
FYI for all you Normanites. Moore Norman Vo Tech will fix your computer for you for 20 bucks. All you have to do is supply the part.

hmmm. thanks for that info. i think i'll give them a call (i've got a closet full of gateway laptops that've gone tits up).

which location? you know they've got a ginormous new building on 134th and s. penn?

Ike
2/2/2006, 01:54 PM

rock on. just hope that one of the students to whom they are teaching computer repair to doesn't have a case of the butter fingers.

RacerX
2/2/2006, 02:18 PM
Labor - $20
Parts - $1700

Enjoy your new laptop!

Sincerely,

Moore-Norman Vo-Tech