PDA

View Full Version : worm virus?

achiro
2/1/2006, 06:06 PM
So I heard a blurb on the news about some worm that is suppose to delete your files on Friday. Anyone know about it? Will windows updates fix it or do I need to update and run my virus scan?

colleyvillesooner
2/1/2006, 06:07 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183331,00.html

Ike
2/1/2006, 06:24 PM
windows apparently already has the 'malicious software removal tool' update to remove it, but unless you are on their paid subscription updating service, you won't be able to get it until the 14th when their regularly scheduled updates occur

oh, and the worm mostly spreads by email, so unless you are one of those folks that open every attachment, or you are one of those folks that use outlook with the default 'open every single attachment as soon as I click on the email, regardless of who it came from or what it might be' setting, then you probably don't have much to worry about.

49r
2/1/2006, 07:59 PM
NEW YORK — Friday may be D-day, as in "destruction day," for millions of Windows computer users. That's the day a notably pesky e-mail worm, variously called "Nyxem.E (javascript:siteSearch('Nyxem.E');)," "CME-24," "BlackWorm," "Mywife.E," "KamaSutra" and "VB.bi," among other names, is set to detonate its deadly payload.

My, that's a very ACTION-PACKED first paragraph!

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/1/2006, 08:17 PM
If they know it is coming....then why I on God's Green Earth can't they stop it.....Did someone e-mail and warn them :P

Ike
2/1/2006, 10:00 PM
of course, if you just use open office instead of MS office, you probably don't have a whole lot to worry about either.

StoopTroup
2/1/2006, 10:24 PM
just don't open your mail. :D

49r
2/2/2006, 08:43 AM
I use a Mac.

Will this virus detonate it's deadly payload in my computer?

Norm In Norman
2/2/2006, 09:08 AM
of course, if you just use open office instead of MS office, you probably don't have a whole lot to worry about either.
I do, but i frequently save my documents as word documents. Sometimes it's easier to give in to the man.

Pieces Hit
2/2/2006, 09:09 AM
I had that once.
Got it from a chick when I was cruising Claremore.

Ike
2/2/2006, 02:16 PM
so any of y'all that think you might be infected...check out the list of file types that get overwritten (mostly documents and zips), and if you wanna make sure you are OK, I'd back them up to CD.

SoonerWood
2/2/2006, 02:23 PM
If you wanna check to see if you have it real quick and easy, set the CMOS date on your computer to Feb 3rd.

When you reboot, if you start losing lots of PDF, DOC and ZIP files, you have it. :D