PDA

View Full Version : So since we signed 28, how...

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2006, 05:59 PM
are we going to make this happen. Isnt the limit 25?

Are we going to grayshirt 3 players, or are we putting three on last years total?

I am confused.

Also, sorry if this has been asked, I looked, but havent seen a thread about it.

TexasBoomer
2/1/2006, 06:07 PM
Walk-ons?

OUGreg723
2/1/2006, 06:33 PM
WE HAVE LEFT-OVER SCHOLLIES FROM LAST YEAR! YAY!

OU-HSV
2/1/2006, 06:53 PM
I have a good feeling about the #28...I wonder who will pick that as their jersey number?? I hope it's someone with some freakish skills ;)

snp
2/1/2006, 07:04 PM
We had 4 guys come early, which will count towards last year. And didn't we have someone (Beeler?) land an academic scholarship?

And we're still waiting to see if they all qualify :O

KStatePike
2/1/2006, 07:11 PM
I guarentee you Beeler wasn't given an academic scholarship. He is certainly smart enough to earn one, but that would put him into a different category with the ncaa. He would technically be a walk on, and wouldn't be able to use the workout facilities over the summer and couldn't participate in team drills in the fall until the other walk ons join the team. It is also much more complicated to travel with the team as a player on a non-athletic scholarship.

FroggyStyle22
2/1/2006, 08:02 PM
I guarentee you Beeler wasn't given an academic scholarship. He is certainly smart enough to earn one, but that would put him into a different category with the ncaa. He would technically be a walk on, and wouldn't be able to use the workout facilities over the summer and couldn't participate in team drills in the fall until the other walk ons join the team. It is also much more complicated to travel with the team as a player on a non-athletic scholarship.

Would be nice if any of that were indeed true. I was a recruited walk-on and had access to summer workouts. I also reported to two-a-days with the scholly players and would have travelled had I not sucked and actually been good enough to make the travel squad.

snp
2/1/2006, 08:26 PM
Would be nice if any of that were indeed true. I was a recruited walk-on and had access to summer workouts. I also reported to two-a-days with the scholly players and would have travelled had I not sucked and actually been good enough to make the travel squad.

Iceburn. :D

Pedro Sanchez
2/1/2006, 10:25 PM
Whamy!!!:eek:

Ground_Attack
2/1/2006, 11:35 PM
according to Rivals, Texas Tech inked 34!!!

BASSooner
2/1/2006, 11:40 PM
two words..money and exchange

KStatePike
2/1/2006, 11:43 PM

Well I heard that info on a radio show one time, so I guess either the guy was wrong, or I heard wrong. My guess is, I heard wrong. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Prodigal
2/2/2006, 12:01 AM
Not totally inaccurate.

There is a big difference between "walk-ons" and "recruited walk-ons".

FroggyStyle22
2/2/2006, 12:09 AM
Not totally inaccurate.

There is a big difference between "walk-ons" and "recruited walk-ons".

If the young man is signing a LOI he would be a recruited walk-on.

okienole3
2/2/2006, 12:23 AM

http://www.klausact.com/brag/images/brag_paperback.jpg

Do they even give out scholarships at TCU?

;)

NormanPride
2/2/2006, 10:57 AM
Stoops has said that the four who came in for the Spring counted on last year's schollies. No worries, gents!

soonerlaw
2/2/2006, 02:13 PM

That is truly amazing. Convincing 34 athletes to go and live in Lubbock for 4 years is an accomplishment in itself.

RooseveltRoughRider
2/2/2006, 02:30 PM
The way NCAA scholarships work is this..

You are alotted 25 a year....BUT....when you lose players to attrition etc. you gain more slots. alot of teams estimate their attrition rate and actually sign more than than allowed already knowing they will not keep all of them. The limit is 85. Also, although not a popular practice, you can take scholarships from some players and give them to new players. It balances out.

snp
2/2/2006, 06:17 PM
That is truly amazing. Convincing 34 athletes to go and live in Lubbock for 4 years is an accomplishment in itself.

"Hey if you like really hot girls, lots of parties, and you can win a few games per year. Also, on tuesdays, it's dress like a pirate day"

The Consumate Showman
2/2/2006, 07:10 PM

OUGrad2004
2/3/2006, 04:05 PM
You are not alloted 25 per year. We just signed 28. The NCAA allows 85 scholarships total for football. Whatever we have leftover after guys leave is what gets handed out the next recruiting season. And you cannot take scholarships away from players and give to new ones. The only way to get your scholarship taken away is by violating the contract you sign...ie. team rules, academic misconduct, etc.

Rhino
2/3/2006, 04:18 PM
He would technically be a walk on, and wouldn't be able to use the workout facilities over the summer and couldn't participate in team drills in the fall until the other walk ons join the team. It is also much more complicated to travel with the team as a player on a non-athletic scholarship. Matt McCoy worked out just fine as an academic scholarship player.