PDA

View Full Version : Hornets make two trades in 24-hours

Rhino
2/1/2006, 04:33 PM
GOOD TRADE
Traded away 2006 and 2007 second-round picks to the 76ers for 7'0" , 24-year-old Steven Hunter (4.9 ppg, 3.5 rbg) and cash.

HORRIBLE TRADE
Traded away 2006 and 2009 second-round picks to the Raptors for 6'9", 34-year-old Aaron Williams (1.9 ppg, 1.2 rbg).

Updated: Feb. 1, 2006, 12:01 PM ET
Hornets make second trade in 24-hour span (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2315028)
Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Philadelphia 76ers traded center Steven Hunter to the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday for two second-round draft picks.

It's the Hornets' second trade in a 24-hour span in an attempt to reinforce their front line following the dismissal of forward Chris Andersen last week for violating the NBA's drug policy.

"We were real small," coach Byron Scott said at the team's shootaround. "We've gotten bigger in a matter of minutes."

Hunter, a 7-footer, is averaging 4.9 points and 3.4 rebounds in 35 games with the 76ers this season. A first-round pick by Orlando in 2001, he played three seasons with the Magic and one with Phoenix before signing with Philadelphia as a free agent before this season.

"We're excited. We bring in another athlete, a 7-foot athlete, 24 years old who runs and jumps and does a lot of the things that we want here," Scott said. "I think he'll fit in extremely well."

The Hornets are giving up their 2006 and 2007 second-round picks and will also receive cash considerations from Philadelphia. On Tuesday, the Hornets acquired Aaron Williams from Toronto for their other 2006 second-round pick and a 2009 second rounder. Williams is expected to be in uniform for New Orleans' game against Chicago on Wednesday night.
The Hornets have two first-round picks in this year's draft, including one they received from Milwaukee when they swapped Jamaal Magloire for Desmond Mason in the preseason.

"We were able to get a young center that we feel is going to get much better and better, that's shown improvement," Scott said. "He had his best year in Phoenix playing the type of basketball that we play. And then we got a veteran in Aaron Williams. We've still got our first-round picks."
Unlike Williams, who played for Scott in New Jersey for more than three seasons, Hunter may take longer to fit in.

"There'll be an adjustment for Steven because this is an offense that he hasn't done," Scott said. "But again, once we get him in, we'll go over it every single day with him just to try to get him as comfortable as possible. ... I don't think it'll take him real long because one thing that we do a lot of is repetition on our offense."

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2006, 04:43 PM
Hunter is a guy the Mavericks looked at, thats a great pick up......i assume they went after the other guy because he's played for Scott before

GrapevineSooner
2/1/2006, 05:46 PM
It's the Hornets' second trade in a 24-hour span in an attempt to reinforce their front line following the dismissal of forward Chris Andersen last week for violating the NBA's drug policy.

I'm shocked.

ChickSoonerFan
2/1/2006, 09:19 PM
I think that is the only 7 footer we have on the team...cool. We needed that.

Jimminy Crimson
2/1/2006, 11:33 PM
HORRIBLE TRADE
Traded away 2006 and 2009 second-round picks to the Raptors for 6'9", 34-year-old Aaron Williams (1.9 ppg, 1.2 rbg).

[Lee Corso]Not so fast, my friend...[/Lee Corso]

:D

ChickSoonerFan
2/1/2006, 11:44 PM
How was the game? C said it was good...she liked the new guy.

Soonerus
2/1/2006, 11:56 PM
Aaron Williams played very well tonight against the Bulls and looked like a very good role player....

Jimminy Crimson
2/2/2006, 12:02 AM
How was the game? C said it was good...she liked the new guy.

He doesn't bring the 'energy' that Birdman brought, but his basketball IQ and intangibles are far and above Andersen. He rebounds well, and knows Coach Scott's system, which will benefit him in the long run, which = more minutes.

He ended up tonight with 8 points and 5 boards. Not too bad for his first game out and only one practice under his belt with our guys.

...on a sidenote, I tip my cap to CP3. He amazes me more and more every game. He is Isaiah Thomas and then some.

I also won tonights 'Sign of the Game' contest! :texan:

Soonerus
2/2/2006, 12:45 AM
It was you that had that crappy sign ???? (just kidding)..."FREE BIRDMAN" was a great idea...bring it again on Saturday....

critical_phil
2/2/2006, 12:46 AM
I also won tonights 'Sign of the Game' contest! :texan:

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/1828/gaysign7kg.jpg

BigRedJed
2/6/2006, 11:02 AM
GOOD TRADE
Traded away 2006 and 2007 second-round picks to the 76ers for 7'0" , 24-year-old Steven Hunter (4.9 ppg, 3.5 rbg) and cash.

HORRIBLE TRADE
Hmmm... ...seems to be shaping up just the opposite.

Rhino
2/6/2006, 11:50 AM
Williams has been a surprise, sure. He's still a short-term plug though. Hey, I hope he proves me wrong.

Hunter's status seems to be up in the air. If he did fail his physical, it doesn't make it a bad trade because it'll be revoked. Seems like they're waiting an awful long time to come out with the results though.