PDA

View Full Version : You've got one full day in Washington DC, what do you do?

OU4LIFE
2/1/2006, 01:46 PM
Your mission, should you choose to accept it.....layout a Saturday in Wash., DC in March while taking into account the probableweather and any other factors you deem neccessary.

This post will eat itself in 5.................4.......................3....... .................2

IB4OU2
2/1/2006, 01:48 PM
Go to the Smithsonian Museums and Arlington Cemetary........those would be the top two on my list.

fadada1
2/1/2006, 01:52 PM
arlington, vietnam and korea memorials, WWII memorial (haven't been myself), university of maryland to visit the co-eds.

C&CDean
2/1/2006, 01:54 PM
Take the Metro to the Smithsonian Station. When you come upstairs, you'll be pretty much in the middle of the National Mall. Start walking. If you go left, you'll go by the Washington Monumnent, the WWII Memorial, the Korean Memorial, the Reflecting Pool, and end up at the Lincoln Memorial, where you turn right, and pass the Vietnam Memorial, the Elipse, and if you wanna turn left, you can go see the White House, come back to the mall and then you'll start passing the Smithsonian Museums (Natural History/American History) and continue on until you get to the Capitol. There you can turn around and go past the Museum of Art, the Air & Space Museum, and the old Smithsonian. Then, get back on the Metro, take it to the Rosslyn stop, come upstairs, and look to your right across the street. You'll see a place called The Orleans House. Prime rib for cheap. Or, take the Metro to Alexandria/Old Town (King St. Station) and walk up King St. Tons of restaraunts, bars, etc.

You will be worn out, but you'll have had the "DC" experience.

You're welcome.

OU4LIFE
2/1/2006, 01:56 PM
Take the Metro to the Smithsonian Station. When you come upstairs, you'll be pretty much in the middle of the National Mall. Start walking. If you go left, you'll go by the Washington Monumnent, the WWII Memorial, the Korean Memorial, the Reflecting Pool, and end up at the Lincoln Memorial, where you turn right, and pass the Vietnam Memorial, the Elipse, and if you wanna turn left, you can go see the White House, come back to the mall and then you'll start passing the Smithsonian Museums (Natural History/American History) and continue on until you get to the Capitol. There you can turn around and go past the Museum of Art, the Air & Space Museum, and the old Smithsonian. Then, get back on the Metro, take it to the Rosslyn stop, come upstairs, and look to your right across the street. You'll see a place called The Orleans House. Prime rib for cheap. Or, take the Metro to Alexandria/Old Town (King St. Station) and walk up King St. Tons of restaraunts, bars, etc.

You're welcome.

takes notes people, THIS is how you lay out a mission statement.

YMSSR...

Jimminy Crimson
2/1/2006, 01:57 PM
Call your Congressman and Senator and get passes to the galleries of each house. I'd say get a pass from them for the White House, but with only one day, the wait to get in (even with a pass) would eat up a large chunk of the day.

Arlington Cemetary
Vietnam Memorial
National Archives
Ford Theatre/Peterson House
Jefferson Memorial (if youre in DC in late March, the Cherry Blossoms will almost be in full bloom)
Willard Hotel Lobby (where the term lobby/lobbyist came to be. Look for Oklahoma's seal on the ceiling)

Dinner: Old Ebbitt Grill www.ebbitt.com

I'll think of more

OU4LIFE
2/1/2006, 02:01 PM
dude, the cherry blossoms are already blooming, thanks to the warm winter.

King Crimson
2/1/2006, 02:02 PM
morning tee-time at Congressional......:D

Jimminy Crimson
2/1/2006, 02:03 PM
dude, the cherry blossoms are already blooming, thanks to the warm winter.

I guess that's true this year. Damn El Nino or whoever. :P

picasso
2/1/2006, 02:11 PM
good call Dean. I'd hit a few museums early.
we once had lunch at the national museum of art I believe, the grille was upstairs and it was the best sandwich I've ever had (trying to impress the foreigners I guess).
my brother and I went a few blocks into town one time after going to the Van Gogh retrospective. It was called Bull Run or something, high dollar bistro with cloak/cigar/curtain/private cronie room in the back. bro and I had on jeans and were loaded down with posters from the show. everyone else in suit, etc.
anywho, our waiter kind of paid attention to us and after lunch I left him a hefty tip just to enlighten the poor lad.

Alexandria is cool too but I would save the afternoon for a walk along the mall down to the war memorials.

OU4LIFE
2/1/2006, 02:17 PM
morning tee-time at Congressional......:D

take care of that..and i'm there. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/1/2006, 02:18 PM
Present Teddy Kennedy with a coupon for some free swimming lessons.

fadada1
2/1/2006, 02:30 PM
Present Teddy Kennedy with a coupon for some free swimming lessons.
and driving... don't forget about driving!!!

Widescreen
2/1/2006, 02:38 PM
Go visit Cindy Sheehan in jail.

1stTimeCaller
2/1/2006, 02:40 PM
I hear that they have a really good McDonald's. You should check it out.

IB4OU2
2/1/2006, 02:46 PM

YMSSR...

I thought you were wanting to see some of the sights in a day, not just jog by them?

crawfish
2/1/2006, 02:47 PM
Go to the Smithsonian Museums and Arlington Cemetary........those would be the top two on my list.

Yeah, but what'll you do the other half of the day? :rolleyes:

;)

IB4OU2
2/1/2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, but what'll you do the other half of the day? :rolleyes:

;)

It would take ME half a day to walk up the hill to the grave of the unknown soldier........:O:

Mjcpr
2/1/2006, 02:52 PM
You could catch a Wizards game.

Jimminy Crimson
2/1/2006, 03:05 PM
Union Station is pretty cool
Lincoln Memorial for both Lincoln and the steps where MLK did his thang
WWII Memorial
Talk to the crazy lady (and laugh) camped out in Lafayette Square, directly across from the capitol. She'll talk about the government being an octopus or something.

SoonerInDC
2/1/2006, 03:16 PM
I moved to the DC area about a half year ago. You should look over what the different museums offer and figure out what you want to see the most. Going through 2 museums is going to drain a lot of energy out of you, and there are, in my opinion, much better ways to spend a single day in DC.
You can’t get a pass on such short notice to the White House (they require something like a three month wait, and there is a background check, etc.) You can, however, show up before 8:30 am on the west side of the capitol to get a timed ticket for a free capitol tour. Show back up at that time for the tour. The same applies for going up in the Washington monument.
Arlington cemetery is great- Robert E. Lee’s old house is open for tours at the top of the hill. The cemetery closes at dusk.
Most of the times I drive by Archives there is a long line out the door.
The cherry blossoms are not blooming en masse yet- there are a few flowers here and there, but nothing like what it is in April.
No one has mentioned Georgetown yet, which is a pretty unique area. M street and Wisconsin Ave are the big tourist areas. There are no metro stops there, but you can get a shuttle for $1.00 from either the Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn metros.
At 6 pm every evening at the Kennedy Center they have free performances. There is a free shuttle to it from the Foggy Bottom metro that runs every 15 minutes. It lasts about an hour.
Right now there is a Cezanne exhibit at one of the art galleries, but it is very very popular, so you would be spending a lot of time in line.
If you have access to a car, you can drive up Massachusetts Ave and see a lot of embassies.
If I can help you out in any way, let me know.
Yes, I look like a newbie, but I’ve been reading this board for years, just never bothered to register.

picasso
2/1/2006, 03:21 PM
my bro in law took us trhough Georgetown once, and then back around through all of the foreign embassy/mansion type places. whoa, impressive.
especially China. oh and the national cathedral is near there.

Fugue
2/1/2006, 03:22 PM
I’ve been reading this board for years, just never bothered to register.

Do we amuse you?

;)

OU4LIFE
2/1/2006, 03:28 PM
I moved to the DC area about a half year ago. You should look over what the different museums offer and figure out what you want to see the most. Going through 2 museums is going to drain a lot of energy out of you, and there are, in my opinion, much better ways to spend a single day in DC.
You can’t get a pass on such short notice to the White House (they require something like a three month wait, and there is a background check, etc.) You can, however, show up before 8:30 am on the west side of the capitol to get a timed ticket for a free capitol tour. Show back up at that time for the tour. The same applies for going up in the Washington monument.
Arlington cemetery is great- Robert E. Lee’s old house is open for tours at the top of the hill. The cemetery closes at dusk.
Most of the times I drive by Archives there is a long line out the door.
The cherry blossoms are not blooming en masse yet- there are a few flowers here and there, but nothing like what it is in April.
No one has mentioned Georgetown yet, which is a pretty unique area. M street and Wisconsin Ave are the big tourist areas. There are no metro stops there, but you can get a shuttle for $1.00 from either the Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn metros.
At 6 pm every evening at the Kennedy Center they have free performances. There is a free shuttle to it from the Foggy Bottom metro that runs every 15 minutes. It lasts about an hour.
Right now there is a Cezanne exhibit at one of the art galleries, but it is very very popular, so you would be spending a lot of time in line.
If you have access to a car, you can drive up Massachusetts Ave and see a lot of embassies.
If I can help you out in any way, let me know.
Yes, I look like a newbie, but I’ve been reading this board for years, just never bothered to register.

thanks for the info dude, and i'm glad that I could be the one to draw you out of lurking. ;) prepare to be spekked.

picasso
2/1/2006, 03:39 PM
thanks for the info dude, and i'm glad that I could be the one to draw you out of lurking. ;) prepare to be spanked.
:eek:

Fugue
2/1/2006, 03:47 PM
Georgetown was great. That is, until I found myself on the Hoyas practice court. It was me and 9 African Americans getting ready to hoop. I was intimidated, but at that point it became about gaining respect. Unfortunately Coach Thompson saw me and said, "You wanna run?, well then run home cracka."
Troo story :cool:

SoonerInDC
2/1/2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone :)

Mjcpr
2/1/2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone :)

We're sorry, we should've said something........that was 1TC.

1stTimeCaller
2/1/2006, 03:50 PM
rule No. 1 - Never sleep on the floor at my house.

Penguin
2/1/2006, 04:07 PM
Run around in a trench coat with wires sticking out of it. Keep yelling "Allah is great!" and get kind of a wild look on your face.

You'll be a hit. The guards will laugh their asses off. The president himself might come down and shake your hand for your humor during trying times.

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2006, 04:23 PM

YMSSR...

yeah however it sucks because it omits Arlington National

i'd go with Jiminy's list...

Jimminy Crimson
2/1/2006, 04:27 PM
If you're going to do a Smithsonian, get up early and do the Archives. The other museums, while very worthwhile and interesting, pale in comparison to seeing the documents that give us what we as Americans hold dear. I'll stop here before I launch into singing some Lee Greenwood. Just do it! :D

Jimminy Crimson
2/1/2006, 04:29 PM
I don't know if you are, but if you're injun, the new one would be something you might want to hit up. :texan:

Mjcpr
2/1/2006, 04:33 PM
If you're going to do a Smithsonian, get up early and do the Archives. The other museums, while very worthwhile and interesting, pale in comparison to seeing the documents that give us what we as Americans hold dear. I'll stop here before I launch into singing some Lee Greenwood. Just do it! :D

You mean like Archie Bunker's chair?

C&CDean
2/1/2006, 04:36 PM
yeah however it sucks because it omits Arlington National

i'd go with Jiminy's list...

My list sucks? I advised him to eat at a decent place. Jimminy advised him to eat at a place a bunch of crooks, liars, cheats, and fags frequent.

If you wanna do Arlington, you need to set aside an entire day. Also, plan on being depressed and inspired simultaneously. Don't miss the changing of the guard. Everybody wants to visit JFK and RFK's graves, the eternal flame, etc., but I prefer to visit the graves of real heroes.

Mjcpr
2/1/2006, 04:38 PM
Jimminy advised him to eat at a place a bunch of crooks, liars, cheats, and fags frequent.

We've already established he's going to be in DC.

C&CDean
2/1/2006, 04:38 PM
And for my time, the Air & Space and American History museums are the best. The Art museum is just a bunch of crap people call "art" (pretty much like all art museums). If you really wanna see art, go the the National Cathedral.

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2006, 04:39 PM
i was just giving you ****, i did the DC tour in one day......my favorite sites in DC are as follows:

Arlington - you can take their guided tour, and its worthwhile...but be sure to get off the trolley and go watch the changing of the guard
Mount Vernon - out of the way but to me - the most underrated, underappreciated place in the entire area - one of my absolute favorites
The Mall - you can walk all the monuments, walk by the Supreme Court, the Capital

I didnt get to do the Smithsonian - the group I was with couldnt agree which one out of the dozen or so that exist to go visit

Jimminy Crimson
2/1/2006, 04:42 PM
If you really wanna see art, go the the National Cathedral.

WORD!

The Cathedral will RYFO!

JohnnyMack
2/1/2006, 04:43 PM
Keep renting moving vans and leaving them in front of buildings.

C&CDean
2/1/2006, 04:44 PM
I know JK.

I hate DC, however, it's a place that every American should visit. You really need to spend about a week though to take it in. I detailed there for 18-months, and probably spend 30 days or more a year there every year for the past 15. Great place to visit, seriously ****ty place to live.

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2006, 04:45 PM
i agree on the week, one day just isnt enough.....one week lets you shoot over to Baltimore for a day, and even a day trip out to Gettysburg

and for fine dining, I'd go into Old Towne Alexandria

Soonerchaz
2/1/2006, 04:46 PM
I lived in DC for 4 years back in the early 90s. Listen to Dean. Excellent recommendations. Absolutely do not miss The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial. So simple yet so powerful.

The Holocaust Memorial Museum opened right before I moved and I only had one chance to go through it. Very moving and obviously somber. Important to see...but difficult to recommend if you know what I mean.

If you have the time...check out The Old Post Office at 12th and Pennslyvania. Take the elevator to the top. Great views and I think it's the highest point in D.C. outside of the Washington Monument.

GDC
2/1/2006, 04:47 PM
I did the one day drive by tour of DC once, I have no desire to go back.

C&CDean
2/1/2006, 04:49 PM
I lived in DC for 4 years back in the early 90s. Listen to Dean. Excellent recommendations. Absolutely do not miss The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial. So simple yet so powerful.

The Holocaust Memorial Museum opened right before I moved and I only had one chance to go through it. Very moving and obviously somber. Important to see...but difficult to recommend if you know what I mean.

If you have the time...check out The Old Post Office at 12th and Pennslyvania. Take the elevator to the top. Great views and I think it's the highest point in D.C. outside of the Washington Monument.

Holy Schnikes. I forgot the Holocaust Memorial. I went in there the first week they opened up (before they put up the barriers so kids/people who don't wanna see don't have to) and was absolutely blown away. I cried. Seriously. Mega-powerful stuff.

Octavian
2/1/2006, 04:54 PM
Just moved here recently...live across the river in Arlington now. You should soak up all the history and pageantry for sure...but then do yourself a favor and go get drunk in Georgetown.

Mjcpr
2/1/2006, 04:56 PM
What do you all have against the Pentagon?

Soonerchaz
2/1/2006, 04:56 PM
Holy Schnikes. I forgot the Holocaust Memorial. I went in there the first week they opened up (before they put up the barriers so kids/people who don't wanna see don't have to) and was absolutely blown away. I cried. Seriously. Mega-powerful stuff.

Heh...I went the opening week as well. Really amazing and overpowering.

Octavian
2/1/2006, 04:57 PM

Great view from the old post office, but nothing is permitted to be taller than the top of the Capitol.

C&CDean
2/1/2006, 05:00 PM
Just moved here recently...live across the river in Arlington now. You should soak up all the history and pageantry for sure...but then do yourself a favor and go get drunk in Georgetown.

I've stayed at the Marriott a couple blocks up from the Foggy Bottom metro stop many times. The problem with getting drunk in Georgetown is two-fold:

1) You're surrounded by whack-job liberals and even more whack-job students.

2) You better bring your American Express Platinum card cause beers are like $7.50 for a draft.

I drank about 6-7 shots of Bushmills and had a couple Bass ales in a sports bar, and my bill was like $125.

Octavian
2/1/2006, 05:05 PM
true on both counts, but you'll find your fair share of right wingers too...but if he drinks enough and looks for loose women he wont worry about the money he blew until he wakes up the next afternoon

IB4OU2
2/1/2006, 05:15 PM
true on both counts, but you'll find your fair share of right wingers too...but if he drinks enough and looks for loose women he wont worry about the money he blew until he wakes up next to Hillary

Mjcpr
2/1/2006, 05:17 PM

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20060201/i/r469963390.jpg

Octavian
2/1/2006, 05:18 PM
I thought she killed her males after mating w/ them :confused:

IB4OU2
2/1/2006, 05:20 PM

:eek: :D

SoonerInDC
2/1/2006, 05:30 PM

Hey, I live in Arlington! I work in DC, though, like just about everyone else here. Have you found any place yet to watch OU games amonst Sooners? All I have found so far is the stinky pro-UT Rhodeside Grill and the pro-LSU Tallulah.

Back to the original topic, however, I would recommend looking at restaurants on the Washington Post website. I use that quite a bit since I am still pretty new to the area. Also, there are a lot of good restaurants in Georgetown, in downtown DC, and in Old Town Alexandria. Adams-Morgan and Clarendon also have a high concentration of eateries/bars.

Octavian
2/1/2006, 05:36 PM
Hey, I live in Arlington! I work in DC, though, like just about everyone else here. Have you found any place yet to watch OU games amonst Sooners? All I have found so far is the stinky pro-UT Rhodeside Grill and the pro-LSU Tallulah.

Back to the original topic, however, I would recommend looking at restaurants on the Washington Post website. I use that quite a bit since I am still pretty new to the area. Also, there are a lot of good restaurants in Georgetown, in downtown DC, and in Old Town Alexandria. Adams-Morgan and Clarendon also have a high concentration of eateries/bars.

crazy...I live in clarendon, its a pretty cool place. No I havent found a place to watch Sooner games yet. Maybe we need to start somethin

....and the t-shirt Horn fans here are unbearable

OU4LIFE
2/1/2006, 06:37 PM
57 posts and not one tranny reference.

you people are slipping.

proud gonzo
2/1/2006, 07:12 PM
Union Station is pretty cool
Lincoln Memorial for both Lincoln and the steps where MLK did his thang
WWII Memorial
Talk to the crazy lady (and laugh) camped out in Lafayette Square, directly across from the capitol. She'll talk about the government being an octopus or something.

i wonder if she's related to the lady near the russian embassy...

That lady always has signs about brains. Like "You stole my magic brain!" or "Brain sale saturday"

she's funny

Sooner_Bob
2/1/2006, 07:50 PM

You're welcome.

You should also consider making a stop at Union Station . . . and the new Native American Smithsonian . . . but other than that Dean pretty much covered it all.

Sooner_Bob
2/1/2006, 08:03 PM
I've made 2 week-long trips to DC and probably 3 or 4 shorter trips to DC and Rockville. I don't think I could live there, but it is sure fun to visit.

If I have one recommendation for ya Mark it would be to do your best to actually plan out where you'll go (which is what you're doing with this thread - nice jorb. :D) and try to stick to it. There's so much to see that it can be a little overwhelming.

The more time you have to get the Metro stuff down you'll do great.

I can't believe you people haven't mentioned Dupont Circle yet.

Stoop Dawg
2/1/2006, 08:13 PM
I'd start by allowing workers to opt-out of social security, then I'd get to work on welfare reform in the afternoon. But maybe that's just me.

soonercody
2/1/2006, 08:56 PM
WWII and Korean War Memorials are worth the trip. I liked the FDR Memorial also, it's bigger'n you'd think.

VeeJay
2/1/2006, 09:20 PM
Unless you run up on some whores, drive down to Williamsburg.

It is lovely that time of year.

StoopTroup
2/1/2006, 10:26 PM
National Air and Space museum.

The Archives

and then as many Monuments as I could ending with a run through Congress is you still can.

SouthFortySooner
2/1/2006, 11:44 PM
Been there twice. Still have vivid memories of 2 things.

Go in front door of Museum of Natural History (great wooly mammoth), go to mineral section, I think on the right to SEE THE HOPE DIAMOND. There is really nothing else like it on earth.

Then THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE.

Another cool thing was, as you entered the Air and Space Museum, there was a piece of Moon Rock embeded in a stand you could touch.

Tiptonsooner
2/1/2006, 11:48 PM

That's enough to scare you sober.

picasso
2/2/2006, 01:45 AM
good call on the Holocaust museum too. been there twice, they have a replica of the gate into Auschwitz.
and for you locals, my sis lives in Chesapeake Beach, MD. I actually considered renting a space at the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria one year.
sis used to work in Annapolis, another cool place to visit. Her hubby flew a chopper for the guard so she had access to the Naval Academy and Andrews AF base.
good times.

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 06:56 AM
I've made 2 week-long trips to DC and probably 3 or 4 shorter trips to DC and Rockville. I don't think I could live there, but it is sure fun to visit.

If I have one recommendation for ya Mark it would be to do your best to actually plan out where you'll go (which is what you're doing with this thread - nice jorb. :D) and try to stick to it. There's so much to see that it can be a little overwhelming.

The more time you have to get the Metro stuff down you'll do great.

I can't believe you people haven't mentioned Dupont Circle yet.
Very good advice.

I had one day there a few years ago.

I saw lots on the Mall.

Friends of mine where stationed there with the Navy for a time.

They said they never even toured the Smithsonian. A waste IMO.

I've gotten the Smithsonian magazine before and have been told if you go there plan to spend days seeing it or plan well and isolate yourself to just a few areas. it isn't a one day tour I've been told.

jk the sooner fan
2/2/2006, 07:12 AM
Mount Vernon......seriously

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 07:34 AM
I bet that would be cool.

OU4LIFE
2/2/2006, 08:00 AM
tranny hookers dammit. :mad:

I'm actually going to be there for about 2 & 1/2 days, but I wanted to see what everyone thought you could stuff into a day.

The new WWII memorial is a must for me, and I would absolutely LOVE to visit the national archives and see the papers that started this country on it's road to freedom. I also would like to hit the Air & Space museum(I was there when i was about 9 and still have vivid memories of it), and the natural history museum. Anything else I can get to will just be gravy. I'd like to get to Arlington, but since i've been there before, it's not high on the list.

thanks for the help ya'lls. you're a decent lot I tell ya.

Is it hard to get into the national archives? IE long lines and such?

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 08:06 AM
No idea on the lines...

The Archives blew me away.

There were old WWII posters on display when I was there along with all the other goodies.

I regret not taking time to go up into the washington Momument. I've been told it's really no big deal but since I was a kid it has been the center piece of the Mall for me.

The next time back it will be a priority for me.

Oh yeah and here...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Till May the Inventors and Inventions are on display. proabably pretty cool.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/events/calendar/inventions.htm?homelink=invent

Behind the scenes bookings are still available too.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/eventsbooking/behindscenes.asp?j=1

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 08:15 AM
I wonder what one of these Crosby Bookshelves would be worth on EBAY? ;)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/events/images/inventors/c73_26_m20.jpg

OU4LIFE
2/2/2006, 08:32 AM
No idea on the lines...

The Archives blew me away.

There were old WWII posters on display when I was there along with all the other goodies.

I regret not taking time to go up into the washington Momument. I've been told it's really no big deal but since I was a kid it has been the center piece of the Mall for me.

The next time back it will be a priority for me.

Oh yeah and here...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Till May the Inventors and Inventions are on display. proabably pretty cool.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/events/calendar/inventions.htm?homelink=invent

Behind the scenes bookings are still available too.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/eventsbooking/behindscenes.asp?j=1

You know i'm going to Washington DC, America, right? ;)

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 08:48 AM
Boy i messed that up...lol

I'm running a 102 temp...btw.

At 103.5 things looked really strange...lol

Hope this is better...

http://www.archives.gov/

I'd probably get on a plane to Europe and end up in Asia right now. Sorry.

Rotunda and Exhibit Hall Hours
10:00 A.M.–5:30 P.M. (Open every day, except December 25)
Admission Free

Here is the Air and Space site that's in America...lol

http://www.nasm.si.edu/

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 09:00 AM
I found this 4Life about the archives...

Without reservations, please note that it can take up to 1 hour or more to enter the building through the general public entry especially during the months of March, April and May, Thanksgiving weekend, and the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. We encourage you to come prepared for inclement weather while waiting outdoors. Also, we encourage you to leave backpacks, large bags, and metal jewelry behind in order to expedite the security check. All visitors are encouraged to begin their visit by viewing the introductory film in the McGowan Theater.

BeltwaySooner
2/2/2006, 09:52 AM

I live in Alexandria. The DC alumni club used to meet at the Crystal City Sports Pub, but after they didn't provide sound for the UCLA game, we moved down the street to Mackey's. It's on 23rd St. in Crystal City, east of Jefferson Davis Hwy.

picasso
2/2/2006, 10:29 AM
sweet pad. remember that weird seated wooden fan thing in the salon?
and his ride, that horse cart thing? nice ride George.
oh yeah and the slave quarters, got bad vibes in there.

jk the sooner fan
2/2/2006, 10:32 AM
sweet pad. remember that weird seated wooden fan thing in the salon?
and his ride, that horse cart thing? nice ride George.
oh yeah and the slave quarters, got bad vibes in there.

yeah, but he was one of the first to put his slaves so close to the main house, and from what they said, the slave quarters were nicer than what alot of "white folk" in the area were living in......

the entire property is beautiful.....the ceiling work in the house is incredible, just a very cool place

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 10:48 AM
I bet this would be cool if the weather was nice.

The Potomac Spirit
Take a 6 1/2 hour roundtrip cruise aboard the Potomac Spirit from Washington, D.C., or choose a one-way trip either arriving at or departing from Mount Vernon. All cruises include admission to Mount Vernon with the exception of the one-way cruise that departs from the estate.

Cruises are offered Tuesday through Sunday from March 13 through September 5 and Friday through Sunday from September 10 through October 24. The Potomac Spirit docks at Pier 4 at 6th and Water Streets, SW in Washington, D.C. The departure time is 8:30 a.m. with arrival at Mount Vernon scheduled for 10:00 a.m. The Spirit departs Mount Vernon at 1:30 p.m. and returns to Pier 4 in Washington at 3:00 p.m.

Roundtrip fare includes admission to Mount Vernon.

Adults - $35
Senior Citizens - $33
Children ages 6 through 11 - $29 Children 5 and under - FREE

OU4LIFE
2/21/2006, 05:46 PM
t minus 16 days, and all I got was 5 lousy pages?

wankers.

mdklatt
2/21/2006, 05:54 PM
wankers.

You should see if you can go hunting with Dick Cheney.

picasso
2/21/2006, 06:06 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dc00b3127cce9700c5df987b00000016109AauHLhk2a4
pic I took of the Jefferson Memorial. Same day we beat oSu 52-9. It was a great day indeed.

Mjcpr
2/21/2006, 06:10 PM
You gonna play goff or not?

OU4LIFE
2/22/2006, 07:51 AM
clubs are going, depends on the weather, squeek.

Sooner_Bob
2/22/2006, 08:31 AM
Seeing the Korean War Memorial at night was one of the coolest things ever.

I wonder how fast it'd take for the Police to jump on you if you practiced chippin' somewhere on the Mall? :D

OU4LIFE
2/22/2006, 08:40 AM
i'll let you know.

How about a few wedges over the reflecting pool...that should do the trick.

Sooner_Bob
3/15/2006, 10:33 AM
Well?

3/15/2006, 10:48 AM
I'm betting he just got drunk and watched Gun Smoke alone in his hotel room.

skycat
3/15/2006, 10:58 AM

Monticello is way awesomer.

Of course it's a little farther away.

Howzit
3/15/2006, 11:03 AM
I'm betting he just got drunk and watched Gun Smoke alone in his hotel room.

If by 'Gunsmoke' you mean 'pron' I agree.

OU4LIFE
3/15/2006, 12:31 PM
trip report posted.

no bunsmoke.

3/15/2006, 06:18 PM
I guess he just combed his arms.

Oh well.

chriscappel
3/15/2006, 06:36 PM
Well i did this about two weeks ago...Started in at the Lincoln Memorial....Then went to the Vietnam Mem....then onto the WW2 Mem....From there went to see the White House....Smithsonian museum of American History....then onto the Holocaust Museum (this is a must for any DC trip)...Then to the Smithsonian Museum of Aerospace and Aviation (?? something like that)...Then finished off the trip with dinner from the Hard Rock....I wanted to see Arlington but didnt have the time