PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Oil....

critical_phil
2/1/2006, 12:38 PM
.... olive oil, that is.

so i'm at the Wal-Marts neighborhood market last night to pick up a few things.

corn meal...check.
milk...check
pomegranate juice...check
EVOO...$9.69 ????

is there an olive shortage i'm not aware of?

a cook of my caliber shouldn't have to settle for canola oil.....

Mjcpr
2/1/2006, 12:41 PM

Maybe you could just get the cheaper tampons, unscented of course.

;)

critical_phil
2/1/2006, 12:46 PM
thanks for the vaginal irritation reply.

kind of a catch-all, isn't it?........

Mjcpr
2/1/2006, 12:47 PM
I've seen store brand EVOO.

Just sayin'....

IB4OU2
2/1/2006, 12:52 PM
Crisco's cheaper........FYI

soonerbrat
2/1/2006, 12:56 PM
pomegranate juice?

ick

EVOO is the best stuff ever...i have some that i brought over from italy

OUDoc
2/1/2006, 01:02 PM
is there an olive shortage i'm not aware of?

They are a large corporation , they aren't here to win a warm and fuzzy popularity contest.

I believe the era of cheap oil is over, but maybe thats just me.
;)

critical_phil
2/1/2006, 01:04 PM
pomegranate juice?

ick

pomegranate juice freaking rules.

plus, it's damned near impossible to make pomegranate chutney without it.

Wonder Woman
2/1/2006, 01:05 PM
I shopped at HEB in Houston a couple of days ago, and I swear, they must have had 50 different types of olive oil...weird.

King Crimson
2/1/2006, 01:08 PM
some of the more "known" big EVOO companies like Colavita or Bertolli are insanely overpriced. Sam's Club or CostCo usually has a pretty good deal on EVOO. One of the restaurants i worked we got all our EVOO from CostCo for cheaper than we got from any of our distributers. there's a brand called Calabria i buy for $7.99 that's not bad.

handcrafted
2/1/2006, 01:16 PM
some of the more "known" big EVOO companies like Colavita or Bertolli are insanely overpriced. Sam's Club or CostCo usually has a pretty good deal on EVOO. One of the restaurants i worked we got all our EVOO from CostCo for cheaper than we got from any of our distributers. there's a brand called Calabria i buy for $7.99 that's not bad.

The kind you can buy at Aldi's rawks, and I think it's only like 3 or 4 bucks a bottle.

King Crimson
2/1/2006, 01:27 PM
i bought some at Albertson's in Norman going to the store for my Mom over the holidays, Alessi I think it was called, that was OK and it was very reasonably priced. about 1000 ml or a quart. perfectly fine for cooking, and raw uses like making a vinegarette for a salad. it wasn't going to show up at a "tasting" but more than adequate for day to day use.

BeetDigger
2/1/2006, 03:20 PM
pomegranate juice freaking rules.

plus, it's damned near impossible to make pomegranate chutney without it.

I was going to comment on the pomegranate juice. But seeing how you are using it to make pomegranate chutney, then that's ok. :mack:

King Crimson
2/1/2006, 03:48 PM
the local liquor store has pomegranate wine....that the owner raves about. i'm too cheap to buy it at 15 per bottle....when i can buy a couple decent rioja's for the same price.