PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma vs. Kansas.....

Vegas Sooner
1/31/2006, 12:21 PM
..predictions

OU-75
KU-72

KU is down a little this year, and OU is coming off a big win. I see OU taking control of the game, but They will slow it up at the end and KU will make a run at the end to give OU a close one. I wish that I could go to the game, it should be a good one.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/31/2006, 12:24 PM
Better take care of Texas A&M first....

Vegas Sooner
1/31/2006, 12:24 PM
Better take care of Texas A&M first....

true...

Boomer.....
1/31/2006, 12:54 PM
With us beating A&M there and them almost losing to Baylor last weekend, I don't many possibilities that we could lose to them. Especially the way we have been playing lately.

Salt City Sooner
1/31/2006, 01:54 PM
We've won the last 2 against A&M by a total of 5 points, & quite frankly, were lucky to win the last game at all. The guys would do VERY well not to overlook the Aggies.

Stanley1
1/31/2006, 02:10 PM
We've won the last 2 against A&M by a total of 5 points, & quite frankly, were lucky to win the last game at all. The guys would do VERY well not to overlook the Aggies.

I understand your point, but I wouldn't say we were "lucky" to win the last one. We played damn good defense, and couldn't buy a shot. Also played without one of our best players.

NickZeppelin
1/31/2006, 02:40 PM
If Everett's shot misses we lose that game. A&M plays great D and is well coached. That'll be a tough game. Next 3 games will all be tough. If we go 1 of 3 against A&M, @ KU, and @ OSU that's pretty good.

Stanley1
1/31/2006, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=NickZeppelin]If Everett's shot misses we lose that game. [QUOTE]

He didn't though. He made a pretty wide-open shot. Not that big of a deal. I don't consider that lucky.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/31/2006, 02:54 PM
According to Nick we are just lucky to be Americans after that whole Cold War Fiasco crap job Reagen did ;)

NickZeppelin
1/31/2006, 03:06 PM
I don't think we lose more then 3 road games the rest of the year(5 losses in conference total is pretty good) but I think going to Lawrence, Stillwater, and Austin are tough games.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/31/2006, 03:41 PM
I don't think we lose more then 3 road games the rest of the year(5 losses in conference total is pretty good) but I think going to Lawrence, Stillwater, and Austin are tough games.

Next to playing in Austin, the KU game will be the toughest one of the year for us to win. KU is playing really well right now, not that we aren't. We've definitely turned a corner since Neal is back but we probably will still have 2-3 nights that we don't have our A-game. KU is far from unbeatable but if you were to offer me right now that we would beat A&M, lose @KU and win @OSU I would take it.

Salt City Sooner
1/31/2006, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=NickZeppelin]If Everett's shot misses we lose that game. [QUOTE]

He didn't though. He made a pretty wide-open shot. Not that big of a deal. I don't consider that lucky.
Everett entered that game shooting all of 25% from behind the arc (12-48). It was a good look, but it was also another 3-4 feet in back of the stripe. If it'd been someone like a Neal shooting it, I'd be a bit more willing to chalk it up to skill, but with Everett (& esp. a struggling Everett), not nearly as much. The 3 is one of the weaker (if not the weakest) parts of his particular game. He can get streaky at times, but on average, he's 100x better slashing to the hoop for a layup or hitting the mid-range jumper from 15 feet.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/31/2006, 05:04 PM
As for the A&M game, the point isn't really whether it was a lucky shot, a clutch shot or a monster dunk right before the buzzer. It was that there was almost no margin for error in winning that game. Remember A&M had a decent look at the buzzer and the guy tossed up an airball from the lane.

It was a game that we had to scratch and claw from behind just to win. It would have been nice had we been playing better and Neal had been healthy. Maybe we win more handily. Still, you don't have to apologize for winning a close game on the road. If it is pointed out that we could easily be 3-3 right now then it is just as valid to say we could (and probably should) be 6-0.

I hope that we have a good home crowd on Wed night and that the home fans don't take the win for granted. Wish I could be there but it is a 7-hour round trip from here.

Salt City Sooner
1/31/2006, 06:12 PM
"Remember A&M had a decent look at the buzzer and the guy tossed up an airball from the lane."
GREAT point. If the floor doesn't reach up & trip Jones, he's got a layup attempt at worst because he had Book beat & nobody came over to help in time.

chriscappel
1/31/2006, 06:13 PM
i just hope we beat Kansas so i have bragging rights with my dad :D

birddog
1/31/2006, 07:27 PM
I assume the negspek jihad is still in full effect? I guess that means I have to say OU will win every game for the rest of eternity. It's like Pleasantville around here.

birddog
1/31/2006, 07:32 PM
I assume the negspek jihad is still in full effect? I guess that means I have to say OU will win every game for the rest of eternity. It's like Pleasantville around here.

birddog
1/31/2006, 07:35 PM
sorry guys. not trying to prove a point. computers just whacked out...

Stanley1
1/31/2006, 07:51 PM
GREAT point. If the floor doesn't reach up & trip Jones, he's got a layup attempt at worst because he had Book beat & nobody came over to help in time.

Yea, b/c there are alot of PF/C's that can dribble the length of the floor at full speed, in 6 seconds, and make a tough shot. :rolleyes:

Fact is, we still weren't shooting well at that point, and were playing without Neal. Also a fact is that our defense was GREAT that game, and we rebounded well. We've turned the corner whether some of you want to admit it or not. We may not beat KU, but I certainly like our chances.

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/1/2006, 08:55 PM
Yea, b/c there are alot of PF/C's that can dribble the length of the floor at full speed, in 6 seconds, and make a tough shot. :rolleyes:

Fact is, we still weren't shooting well at that point, and were playing without Neal. Also a fact is that our defense was GREAT that game, and we rebounded well. We've turned the corner whether some of you want to admit it or not. We may not beat KU, but I certainly like our chances.

it's not about "admitting" we've turned the corner or anything else. we won a hard fought game, but we were still lucky to win. it doesn't matter how well a pf/c dribbles or not. he was point blank at the basket after beating bookout and slipped. hard to say that's not lucky. that "pretty wide open shot" everett took was about a 24 footer. having someone that averaging 1 of 4 from that part of the court isn't your first choice. those aren't easy shots to make at that length. although we played tough, we were a bit on the lucky side to win that one. salt city is right on that.

tnraider1
2/2/2006, 12:57 PM
OU - 82
KU - 68

jccouger
2/2/2006, 01:06 PM
Im scared my spek will take a seriuos beating if i voted for kansas, so i will say..

OU-195
Kansas-3

OUfan7
2/2/2006, 01:58 PM
As long as it is a win, i'll take another 45-44 game. Sooners 63-61.

MojoRisen
2/2/2006, 03:18 PM
Did anyone see the KU TT game, By the way Kansas is averaging like 88 points for the last 5 games or so I believe,

We are going to have our hands full on the road agains't Kansas- If we win we have a legitimate shot at winning the big 12 hands down.

I am pulling for our boys- but to me this is a much more tougher game than Texas at HOME.

OU 75
KU 72

BOOOOOOOMER

MD

birddog
2/2/2006, 04:10 PM
We ain't winning in Lawrence. It will be similar to the Texass game Sat. The crowd will be a little too much for us but we'll see improvement again. OU 59 KU 63

Okieflyer
2/2/2006, 04:11 PM
67 - 66 OU

Okieflyer
2/2/2006, 04:12 PM
We ain't winning in Lawrence. It will be similar to the Texass game Sat. The crowd will be a little too much for us but we'll see improvement again. OU 59 KU 63

Yes maybe, but we're homer OU fans who always are very optimistic. :D

birddog
2/2/2006, 04:32 PM
Yes maybe, but we're homer OU fans who always are very optimistic. :D
Me too. I just didn't see how we could beat Texass the way we were playing and they proved me wrong. I'm hoping that's the case this time too. Of course, our all time record in Lawrence doesn't bode well. If our guards can step up and hit some big shots in a hostile environment, we'll be in good shape. KU can't hit the broad side of the Empire State building.

ouflak
2/3/2006, 12:45 PM
OU - 69
KU - 68

Big Red Ron
2/3/2006, 01:30 PM
OU - 68

KU - 66

Boomer.....
2/3/2006, 03:52 PM
OU - 64
Kansas - 58

Jeopardude
2/3/2006, 04:37 PM
OU - 88
KU - 74

KU's big men are young and get in foul trouble. Taj gets 25, Bookout 18, and Everett 25 driving and slashing. The guys have fun and take the crowd down.

please?

Vegas Sooner
2/3/2006, 05:41 PM
Did anyone see the KU TT game, By the way Kansas is averaging like 88 points for the last 5 games or so I believe,

We are going to have our hands full on the road agains't Kansas- If we win we have a legitimate shot at winning the big 12 hands down.

I am pulling for our boys- but to me this is a much more tougher game than Texas at HOME.

OU 75
KU 72

BOOOOOOOMER

MD

..but there is NO WAY KU will get 88 on OU.

OUGreg723
2/3/2006, 05:45 PM
OU 160
KU 20

OU BIG!:D

OKC-SLC
2/3/2006, 06:29 PM
OU 80
KU 70

Me drunk.

OUstud
2/3/2006, 06:36 PM
KU is a high scoring team, so we will try and match the tempo. I pick a high scoring 88-81 OU victory.

NickZeppelin
2/3/2006, 06:40 PM
We have to play our game. Not try to play with KU's tempo. If we do that then it could kill us. We need to play tough defense and make our open shots like we have the last few games. I just don't know if we can play in this type of road environment and Terrell may be due for a bit of a down game. 82-68 Kansas.

PrideTrombone
2/3/2006, 06:51 PM
I do like Taj/Bookout against "Chaka" Khan, but I'm worried that Brandon Rush will eat our lunch. I don't know as much about this Kansas team as I have many of the past versions, but The Phog seems to be good for about 8-10 points for KU when we play them.

KU 72
OU 70

Maybe I'll be wrong again. That was fun. :)

bigdsooner
2/3/2006, 10:34 PM
68-65 OU

Jay C. Upchurch
2/4/2006, 12:11 AM
OU vs. KU GAME INFORMATION

Ranked No. 19 in this week's AP poll and No. 18 in the ESPN/USA Today
version, Oklahoma (14-4, 5-2) plays at Kansas (14-6, 5-2) on Sunday at
noon CST inside Allen Fieldhouse. The game will air on the Sooner Radio
Network (flagship KOKC 1520 AM in Oklahoma City) with Bob Barry Sr.
(play-by-play) and Mike Houck (analyst) calling the action. The contest
will be televised nationally by CBS (KWTV 9/Cox 10 in OKC and KOTV 6/Cox
6 in Tulsa) with Kevin Harlan (play-by-play) and Clark Kellogg (analyst)
announcing.

NOTEWORTHY
Oklahoma and Kansas are tied (with Colorado) for second place in the Big
12 at 5-2 ... OU has won four of its last six games against Kansas ...
Michael Neal is 17 for his last 28 (.607) from 3-point range ... Terrell
Everett is averaging 16.4 points over the last five games ... Kevin
Bookout needs four points to reach 1,000 for his career ... No current
Sooner has ever played at Allen Fieldhouse.

OKLAHOMA PROJECTED STARTERS

F 21 Taj Gray (6-9, 238, Sr., 15.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 1.4 bpg)

F 34 Kevin Bookout (6-8, 270, Sr., 11.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.8 bpg)

G 3 Terrell Everett (6-4, 188, Sr., 12.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 6.3 apg)

G 15 David Godbold (6-5, 217, Jr., 5.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.4 apg)

G 20 Austin Johnson (6-3, 168, Fr., 3.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.8 apg)

KANSAS PROJECTED STARTERS

F 30 Julian Wright (6-8, 218, Fr., 7.1 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.8 apg)

C 24 Sasha Kaun (6-11, 246, So., 9.2 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.0 bpg)

G 3 Russell Robinson (6-1, 196, So., 8.9 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.5 apg)

G 15 Mario Chalmers (6-2, 190, Fr., 9.5 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 4.1 apg)

G 25 Brandon Rush (6-6, 207, Fr., 14.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 2.4 apg)

OKLAHOMA UPDATE
Terrell Everett's 3-pointer with 2:38 remaining and his steal and dunk
with 52 seconds left helped seal the Sooners' fifth straight win, a
71-63 triumph over visiting Texas A&M on Wednesday that placed Oklahoma
in a three-way tie for second place in the Big 12. OU led by seven at
halftime and by as many as 14 in the second half (with 6:18 remaining)
before the Aggies trimmed the margin to three points (64-61) with 3:10
to go. Everett's five late points were part of a 7-2 OU run that ended
the game. The Sooners shot .500 from the field (their third straight
.500-or-better game) and canned 8-of-19 3-point attempts (.421) while
outrebounding the Aggies 40-27. Michael Neal made four 3-pointers for
OU and finished with a game-high and career-high-tying 16 points.

Taj Gray, who had 13 points, five boards and four blocks against Texas
A&M, leads Oklahoma in both scoring and rebounding this year with his
15.1 and 7.8 averages. The senior forward is shooting .608 from the
field to rank second in the Big 12 and has shot .500 or better from the
field in 16 of the team's 18 games this year. Fellow senior forward
Kevin Bookout has played the last three games with a fractured navicular
bone in his left wrist (he sustained the injury Jan. 21 against Texas
Tech) and has averaged 10.0 points and 5.0 boards against Baylor, Texas
and Texas A&M. Bookout ranks third on the squad in scoring and second
in rebounding with his 11.8 and 7.3 season averages. OU's career leader
in field goal percentage (.580), he is shooting .587 this year.

Everett, the reigning Big 12 Player of the Week, ranks second on the
team in scoring with his 12.1 points per game and also averages 4.4
rebounds and a team-high 6.3 assists. In seven league games, Everett is
averaging a team-high 14.9 points, 5.6 boards, 6.4 assists and 1.9
steals. He has led OU in assists in 16 of 18 contests this season.

Neal, OU's hot-shooting sixth man, is averaging 15.0 points over the
last four games on 17-for-32 (.531) 3-point shooting. He has made at
least four treys in each of the last four outings (4-for-7 against Texas
Tech, 5-for-7 at Baylor, 4-for-8 against Texas and 4-for-9 against A&M.
The junior, who missed OU's first two league games with a strained
groin, is averaging 11.3 points on the year and leads the team with 48
treys and a .397 3-point percentage.

WEDNESDAY'S LEFTOVERS

* The Sooners won their 14th straight game against Texas A&M and
improved to 25-1 all-time versus the Aggies.

* OU turned in a .500 field goal effort, marking its third straight game
of .500 or better.

* The Sooners grabbed double-digit offensive rebounds (14) for the 18th
time in 18 games.

* Michael Neal made four 3-pointers, marking the fourth straight game he
made at least four treys.

* Oklahoma endured 10-for-15 3-point shooting by Texas A&M. It was the
most treys made by an OU opponent since Missouri canned 11 on Jan. 21,
2002 (a span of 135 games).

* Texas A&M's Acie Law scored 13 points in the first half but was held
scoreless after intermission.

* Oklahoma improved to 6-0 this year and to 92-17 under Kelvin Sampson
against teams from Texas.

ABOUT KANSAS
After starting 1-2 in Big 12 play with a four-point home loss to Kansas
State and a three-point overtime loss at Missouri, Kansas has won four
straight games by an average of 24 points. The Jayhawks are 9-2 at
Allen Fieldhouse this season with their other defeat coming to Nevada
(72-70) on Dec. 1. KU ranks No. 1 in the nation in field goal
percentage defense by allowing opponents to shoot just .358 from the
field, while ranking second in the Big 12 with its .486 field goal
percentage. It is outrebounding its foes by 7.5 a game (ranks third in
the league).

OU Sports Information Dept.

NickZeppelin
2/4/2006, 06:31 AM
Here's some interesting stats on the frontline matchups.

OU Frontline (Gray, Bookout, Griffin, Longar)

31.6 ppg
20.2 rpg
2 bpg

KU Frontline (Giles, Kaun, Jackson, Wright)

31.3 ppg
20.9 rpg
4.1 bpg

Jay C. Upchurch
2/5/2006, 03:21 AM
KU is 66-16 all-time against the Sooners in Lawrence, including 6-0 vs. Sampson's teams. In all, Kelvin's teams lost six of the first seven times they faced KU from 1995-2000.

Since then, OU is 4-2 vs. the Jayhawks. And the Sooners definitely match up well with KU this time around, especially in the paint. I believe OU shows the rest of the Big 12 it is for real with a win today, 62-59.

5 Keys to making that happen:

*Everett 4 turnovers or less

*Gray takes no less than 12 shots

*Neal and Carter make significant contributions

*OU wins rebound battle

*Limit Brandon Rush touches

Stanley1
2/5/2006, 03:36 AM
Instead of Carter, I think Godbold has to make some shots. I think he guards Rush most of the game, and as such, will get many more minutes than Nate.

Agree though, limit t/o's, make FT's, and guard the KU guards like we did ut's.

BoomerJack
2/5/2006, 10:40 AM
I noted on another website that OU are 6 pt. dogs in this game. Any thoughts?

But from the way we're playing, I think it's too much. But then again, I know nothing about the KU team.

Stanley1
2/5/2006, 10:54 AM
I noted on another website that OU are 6 pt. dogs in this game. Any thoughts?

But from the way we're playing, I think it's too much. But then again, I know nothing about the KU team.

Remember now, that line isn't how Vegas thinks the game will go, but rather the line in which they think they'll get 50/50 action.

This is one of those games that I don't think anybody can predict how it will go. OU is too streaky, at KU is always a tough place to win, KU hasn't faced anybody like OU. Should be a good game.

BoomerJack
2/5/2006, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=Stanley1]Remember now, that line isn't how Vegas thinks the game will go, but rather the line in which they think they'll get 50/50 action./QUOTE]

Of course, I know that. I just threw it out there for discussion.