PDA

View Full Version : Flight 93

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 09:51 AM
Anybody watch this on A&E last night? Not bad. I assume it was made based on the facts that are known....the phone calls, cockpit recordings, etc, so it's probably pretty close to the actual events.....I'd think.

Not bad for a TV movie.

fadada1
1/31/2006, 09:56 AM
i watched it.

made me proud to be american. made me mad that it happened.

all the 9/11 documentaries should be shown to every american... everyday.

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2006, 10:02 AM
I wanted to but it was on too late here, didn't start until 10:00.

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 10:03 AM
I wonder what might've happened had they gone to the cockpit a few minutes earlier?

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2006, 10:04 AM
Watched it and thought it was pretty good.

fadada1
1/31/2006, 10:08 AM
I wonder what might've happened had they gone to the cockpit a few minutes earlier?
definitely an interesting thought. watching the movie, it became very clear that there were MANY questions about what they should do. obviously, that situation had never happened before. i think it's safe to say, without the technology we have (cell phones), that plane would've surely hit its intended target. i think its also safe to say, NO hijacking will ever be successful again - people will never allow it.

ChickSoonerFan
1/31/2006, 10:08 AM
I want to see that...I don't have cable so sometimes I miss all the good stuff. I imagine it was pretty interesting.

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 10:09 AM
I want to see that...I don't have cable so sometimes I miss all the good stuff. I imagine it was pretty interesting.

What? :confused:

Next I guess you'll tell me you don't have high speed innerweb.

HoserSooner
1/31/2006, 10:27 AM
Even though some people thought it may be too soon to do this movie, I had to watch it. Great movie and a tribute to those that died.

IB4OU2
1/31/2006, 10:30 AM
I wanted to but it was on too late here, didn't start until 10:00.

No wonder I didn't see it, it came on way past my bedtime and I was pretty tired after watching the Antique Roadshow.

Stanley1
1/31/2006, 10:32 AM

Tell me about it, no cable = straight up craziness. ;)

I wanted to see this as well, but didn't get off work until 9pm, so.....it didn't happen.

ChickSoonerFan
1/31/2006, 10:35 AM

I piggy back on my neighbor's. :)

Stanley1
1/31/2006, 10:36 AM
I piggy back on my neighbor's. :)

<shakes head>

Maybe you should start stealing cable too? :D

ChickSoonerFan
1/31/2006, 10:40 AM
<shakes head>

Maybe you should start stealing cable too? :D

I actually thought about it, but the cable hanging across the driveway might be a little obvious. ;)

You could always just go over there and watch TV if you need to watch something...I am sure they would love to have you. :D

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 10:40 AM
Are you Amish or something?

ChickSoonerFan
1/31/2006, 10:41 AM

Serioulsy, what do you think would have been different?

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 10:43 AM
Serioulsy, what do you think would have been different?

By the time they made their move, the terrorists were already aware something was being planned. The pilot was steering erratically, descending and talking about putting the plane in the ground. If they had made their move earlier, I just wondered if they could have gained control and survived before the jackasses were able to crash it.

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2006, 10:45 AM
By the time they made their move, the terrorists were already aware something was being planned. The pilot was steering erratically, descending and talking about putting the plane in the ground. If they had made their move earlier, I just wondered if they could have gained control and survived before the jackasses were able to crash it.

Who would have landed the plane then?

Stanley1
1/31/2006, 10:45 AM
I am sure they would love to have you. :D

A young James Dean.

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 10:48 AM

Dude....it's just a question; I'm not saying they were wrong. I think there was a brief mention that somebody on board had flown a plane. Not an airliner, but a small plane.....I'd be willing to take the chance.

fadada1
1/31/2006, 10:51 AM
Dude....it's just a question; I'm not saying they were wrong. I think there was a brief mention that somebody on board had flown a plane. Not an airliner, but a small plane.....I'd be willing to take the chance.
as they said - "what's the alternative?" i'm sure somebody would've given it a go.

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2006, 10:52 AM

nm

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 10:56 AM
nm

Good point.

KABOOKIE
1/31/2006, 10:57 AM

I think they still would have been dead. It's pretty hard to wrestle someone who's strapped in and intent on pushing the controls of the aircraft straight down. I'm pretty sure that Hahli Bali Akbar Al-Dooferee would have made a split decision to do it when Todd Beemer starting punching his head in.

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 10:59 AM
I think they still would have been dead. It's pretty hard to wrestle someone who's strapped in and intent on pushing the controls of the aircraft straight down. I'm pretty sure that Hahli Bali Akbar Al-Dooferee would have made a split decision to do it when Todd Beemer starting punching his head in.

Yeah, maybe. Or they cut his throat with a box cutter.

Who knows?

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2006, 10:59 AM

I didn't see it and I wasn't trying to argue. Just saying the end result would probably have been the same.

There are still conspiracy theories out there that the plane was actually shot down...

VeeJay
1/31/2006, 11:38 AM
The movie portrayed the time it took for the passengers to storm the cockpit as excessively long. Maybe it happened that way; I'm not sure.

When the ragheads were tying the red rags on their heads, and the passengers saw that; I wonder what was going through their minds. Of course, at that point, they didn't know what had already happened that morning.

Air marshalls and pilots with firearms - no problems here.

If the movie was correct, and it was in this context - I admire the spirit of the people who went after those onion sucking bastards.

That could have been me or anyone else on one of those planes.

Howzit
1/31/2006, 11:59 AM
I didn't see it and I wasn't trying to argue. Just saying the end result would probably have been the same.

There are still conspiracy theories out there that the plane was actually shot down...

I thought that large commercial aircraft today can basically land themselves. Anyone know if that is correct?

sooneron
1/31/2006, 12:04 PM
too easy

http://www.scratch-golfer.com/TedStriker-Pressure.jpg

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2006, 12:13 PM
too easy

http://www.scratch-golfer.com/TedStriker-Pressure.jpg

I actually thought about that. Of course he would have had some help...

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/owlive/img/jun05/airplane.one0612_big.jpg

sooneron
1/31/2006, 12:14 PM
Don't forget ....

http://www.bgu.ac.il/noar/students/interhug967/gil/tv-movie/airplane/otto.jpg

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2006, 12:20 PM
Don't forget ....

http://www.bgu.ac.il/noar/students/interhug967/gil/tv-movie/airplane/otto.jpg

I figured Stanley would bring him up.

So to speak.

sanantoniosooner
1/31/2006, 12:26 PM
We taped it.

No you can't have a copy.

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 12:27 PM
What do you mean taped it? Like, with tape?

Stanley1
1/31/2006, 12:28 PM
Of the duct variety?

Howzit
1/31/2006, 12:29 PM
I'm a Scotch man, myself.

sanantoniosooner
1/31/2006, 12:32 PM
I got a copy and you don't.

GADOCADWI

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 12:35 PM
I got a copy and you don't.

GADOCADWI

I'm guessing it will be shown on A&E no less than 20 more times.

ChickSoonerFan
1/31/2006, 12:36 PM
We taped it.

Can I borrow a copy?

sanantoniosooner
1/31/2006, 12:37 PM
I'm guessing it will be shown on A&E no less than 20 more times.
sure.........but will it have the ambiance offered by a VHS on it's 25th recording?

I think not.

sanantoniosooner
1/31/2006, 12:38 PM
Can I borrow a copy?
When you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

sooneron
1/31/2006, 01:57 PM
We taped it.

Well, it's only on 8 more times this week! It IS a&e fercryingoutloud.

http://www.aetv.com/flight_93/

Penguin
1/31/2006, 02:13 PM
I tried watching those 9/11 shows on A&E. Twenty minutes into the WTC show, I had to turn it off. I was too mad and too sad.

I'm recording the one on Wed night at midnight so that I don't have to watch it. I'll probably watch 20 minutes minutes of it and turn it off, too.

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2006, 02:27 PM
I tried watching those 9/11 shows on A&E. Twenty minutes into the WTC show, I had to turn it off. I was too mad and too sad.

I'm recording the one on Wed night at midnight so that I don't have to watch it. I'll probably watch 20 minutes minutes of it and turn it off, too.

I know what you mean. We were watching something on Sunday night and they showed like a 5 minute sneak preview of the Flight 93 movie. It was a scene where Todd Beamer was talking on the phone to somebody on the ground, didn't catch who it was. My eyes moistened a bit. :(

Jimminy Crimson
1/31/2006, 02:53 PM
I'm looking forward to the Flight 93 movie. It will be interesting to see the differences between the A&E show and the film that will be out soon.

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2006, 02:57 PM
I know what you mean. We were watching something on Sunday night and they showed like a 5 minute sneak preview of the Flight 93 movie. It was a scene where Todd Beamer was talking on the phone to somebody on the ground, didn't catch who it was. My eyes moistened a bit. :(

What was odd about that scene was the ytook two separate scenes of him talking to the United rep. and made it seem like one long scene for the preview. In the movie, he talks to her for a little bit, puts the phone down, and comes back later to finish the conversation you saw as one scene.

SicEmBaylor
1/31/2006, 03:15 PM
If they had been unable to retake the aircraft; I'm not sure they could have regained control and contacted ground control before the Air Force (properly I should add) shot them down.

I didn't see the show last night, but I read the 9/11 report and from what I remember there were two F-16s nearly within strike range and already had the final authorization to shoot.

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2006, 03:19 PM
If they had been unable to retake the aircraft; I'm not sure they could have regained control and contacted ground control before the Air Force (properly I should add) shot them down.

I didn't see the show last night, but I read the 9/11 report and from what I remember there were two F-16s nearly within strike range and already had the final authorization to shoot.

There are also reports that wreckage from the plane was found like 10 miles from the crash site. Whether that's true or not I have no idea, but the story of brave Americans going out in a blaze of glory by retaking the plane was pretty important to the morale of the country back then (and still is), even if it may have been little embellished.

SicEmBaylor
1/31/2006, 03:25 PM
There are also reports that wreckage from the plane was found like 10 miles from the crash site. Whether that's true or not I have no idea, but the story of brave Americans going out in a blaze of glory by retaking the plane was pretty important to the morale of the country back then (and still is), even if it may have been little embellished.

Well, assuming what you're hinting at is true and that's a HUGE assumption...it doesn't negate the efforts made by the passengers on the flight. The fact is they fought to retake the plane and that is enough to make them deserving of all the praise in the world.

You know I really don't care for many of the 9/11 memorials especially the Flight 93 memorail in Pennsylvania. They are dedicating these things to peace complete with white doves. The crash site of Flight 93 should be treated by the National Parks Service as a national battlefield monument not a memorial more fitting of an accidental crash

Harry Beanbag
1/31/2006, 03:26 PM
Well, assuming what you're hinting at is true and that's a HUGE assumption...it doesn't negate the efforts made by the passengers on the flight. The fact is they fought to retake the plane and that is enough to make them deserving of all the praise in the world.

You know I really don't care for many of the 9/11 memorials especially the Flight 93 memorail in Pennsylvania. They are dedicating these things to peace complete with white doves. The crash site of Flight 93 should be treated by the National Parks Service as a national battlefield monument not a memorial more fitting of an accidental crash

I wholeheartedly agree on both points.

Mjcpr
2/1/2006, 09:40 AM
Anyone one watch the Last Hour of Flight 11 last night on A&E? It was good also. Even had some of the actual dialogue from the stewardesses and Atta. Interesting.

Mjcpr
2/1/2006, 10:30 AM
I liked it too.

Pricetag
2/1/2006, 12:09 PM
I caught a bit of this last night. One thing that jumped to mind--did they purposely not use Arab men for the terrorist roles? I understand that not all the people from the Middle East look the same, and that the Persian people are quite a bit lighter skinned, but these guys looked like more like American mafiosos than Saudi terrorists.