PDA

View Full Version : What IF Brokeback Sweeps the Oscars????

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 09:47 AM
CNN reports:

"Brokeback Mountain" leads Academy Awards field with eight nominations, including best picture."

If it wins 9 Oscars, are all our movies gonna go gay???

War Movies?

Sci-Fi?

Gangster? etc.

I'll start:

"Lassie, Come Out"

Lassie finds Timmy no longer completes him and wanders the streets of San Francisco searching for love from rough dogs in spiked collars.

OUinFLA
1/31/2006, 09:51 AM
"North Dallas Forty"

a compelling story of the trials of professional football, and the intimacies of locker room relationsh...........

Oh, wait a minuite, that one has already been done.

crawfish
1/31/2006, 09:51 AM
Oh, no. :)

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 09:58 AM
"Godzilla Meets Megadong"

Upon the encounter, the two arch enemies come to grips with their hidden passions, attend an emotional wellness seminar, and travel to Key West to open a tie-dye T shirt shop together.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 10:01 AM
If this movie didn't have *** pirates in it, I doubt it would have even been nominated, or maybe not even made for that fact.

Ike
1/31/2006, 10:04 AM
If this movie didn't have *** pirates in it, I doubt it would have even been nominated, or maybe not even made for that fact.
which brings us to our next hollywood feature film:

Butt Pirates of the Carribean: The search for more booty starring Johnny Depp....

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2006, 10:06 AM

Or if people wouldn't have made it a big deal... ;)

sooneron
1/31/2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah, there aren't enough HETERO love stories made.:rolleyes:
Face it, Hollywood or the smaller production companies within occaisionally want to shock or put a twist on an old story. This movie allowed them to do both. It's callled thinking out of the box and being creative. I realize, you may be a little limited in that department. That's fine, the world needs oil hucksters you know.;)

And No, I have not seen the movie. It seems like I have little time to hit the theater anymore.

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 10:13 AM
"The Decorator"

Arnold Schwarzennegger travels thru time to counsel the nilly who started a gaudy trend in home decor before his show airs on A&E.

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 10:13 AM

That's kinda the point.

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 10:16 AM
It's kinda like being a defendant with fellow Klan members on the jury in 1960 Mississippi.

GottaHavePride
1/31/2006, 10:39 AM
CNN reports:

"Brokeback Mountain" leads Academy Awards field with eight nominations, including best picture."

If it wins 9 Oscars, are all our movies gonna go gay???

OK, first, if it's only been nominatged for 8, it can only win 8, not 9.

Second, no all our other movies will not go gay - it will have been done, and you don't get oscars for doing the same thing someone else just did last year.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 10:44 AM
That's kinda the point.

No wonder hollywood had one of it worst years ever.

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 10:45 AM
Hey, it's early.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 10:50 AM
Face it, Hollywood or the smaller production companies within occaisionally want to shock or put a twist on an old story. This movie allowed them to do both. It's callled thinking out of the box and being creative.

So hollywood is creative and "out of the box" cause they have no new ideas except when it comes to making what sounds like a crap chick flick except instead of a man and woman, they have two dudes.

What genuis this is. Total "out of the box" thinking indeed.

Like I said before, I bet Pokemon II makes more money than this thing.

sooneron
1/31/2006, 10:51 AM
So hollywood is creative and "out of the box" cause they have no new ideas except when it comes to making what sounds like a crap chick flick except instead of a man and woman, they have two dudes.

What genuis this is. Total "out of the box" thinking indeed.
If it is done well, then yes, it is creative.

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 10:53 AM
No wonder hollywood had one of it worst years ever.

You're blaming Hollywood's box office slide on one film? Rather short sighted of you don't ya think?

Think it might have to do with anything else? Things like 10 minutes of commercials before a movie, netflix (& blockbuster), the increasing affordability of home theater systems, the aging demographics of moviegoers, think any of those things might have had something to do with it? No? OK, stick your head back in the sand and blame it on one movie.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 10:54 AM
Sorry, but there is a HUGE difference between creativity and just doing something good.

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 10:55 AM
Sorry, but there is a HUGE difference between creativity and just doing something good.

The Passion of the Christ wasn't creative, it was done well, but it wasn't creative.

sooneron
1/31/2006, 10:55 AM
I know you don't have any exp with the film business, but you have to be creative to do something well within it.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 10:59 AM
You're blaming Hollywood's box office slide on one film? Rather short sighted of you don't ya think?

Think it might have to do with anything else? Things like 10 minutes of commercials before a movie, netflix (& blockbuster), the increasing affordability of home theater systems, the aging demographics of moviegoers, think any of those things might have had something to do with it? No? OK, stick your head back in the sand and blame it on one movie.

Wow, your ability to misunderstand things in amazing.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:00 AM
The Passion of the Christ wasn't creative, it was done well, but it wasn't creative.I would agree with that. Hard to be creative with the Bible.

sooner_born_1960
1/31/2006, 11:01 AM
There is hope.
The Color Purple went 0-11 on Oscar night.

usmc-sooner
1/31/2006, 11:01 AM
The Passion of the Christ wasn't creative, it was done well, but it wasn't creative.

why does Passion of the Christ come up in every Brokeback Mountain thread.

Is it the "conservative" Jesus movie vs the "liberal" gay cowboy movie

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:02 AM
I know you don't have any exp with the film business, but you have to be creative to do something well within it.No, but I have experience with music and other forms of art, and its all the same.

Again, re-run cowboy love story with two guys instead of guy and girl isn't that creative.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:03 AM
why does Passion of the Christ come up in every Brokeback Mountain thread.

Is it the "conservative" Jesus movie vs the "liberal" gay cowboy movie

I wonder which one will make more $$$?

Thats all ya need to know right there. :D

sooneron
1/31/2006, 11:03 AM
No, but I have experience with music and other forms of art, and its all the same.

Again, re-run cowboy love story with two guys instead of guy and girl isn't that creative.
You have your opinion, I have mine. Mine is based on what I have been involved in.
We all know you have issues with the subject matter. I'm letting it go.

PrideTrombone
1/31/2006, 11:07 AM
No, but I have experience with music and other forms of art, and its all the same.

Dude, you played tuba in the Pride. If anything, that DISqualifies you from acting like you know stuff about anything except for spilling vodka into a TV. :D

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:07 AM
You have your opinion, I have mine. Mine is based on what I have been involved in.
We all know you have issues with the subject matter. I'm letting it go.

How do I have issues with the subject matter?

Will I go see it? Hell no.

Do I care if other people go see it? Hell no.

Like I said before, and which some agreed with me is that this movie wouldn't even have been made much less "awarded" unless it had to guys fudge packing each other.

That my friend isn't creativity. A couple of 6 year olds could come up with that idea these days.

I wonder, if one of the cow"boys" in this movie was replaced with say a sheep, would that be creative?

What about if it was replaced with an underage girl or boy?

Oh man, movie of the century there!!!! Total "out of the box" thinking! :rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:09 AM
Dude, you played tuba in the Pride. If anything, that DISqualifies you from acting like you know stuff about anything except for spilling vodka into a TV. :DHeh, probably true, but I also played in a few other organizations besides the pride, music scholly at TU, played piano, guitar, other brass, sang, etc...

Oh, and I didn't pour any vodka in any TV. I just got the blame for it! ;)

C&CDean
1/31/2006, 11:10 AM
What? No respect for "Hairy Pooper and the Prisoner of Asscabin?"

It's an outrage.

1stTimeCaller

Like I said before, and which some agreed with me is that this movie wouldn't even have been made much less "awarded" unless it had to guys fudge packing each other.

That my friend isn't creativity.

I wonder, if one of the cow"boys" in this movie was replaced with say a sheep, would that be creative?

Oh man, movie of the century there!!!! Total "out of the box" thinking! :rolleyes:

Like Romeo & Juliet? Or Evita?

sooneron

That my friend isn't creativity.

Thanks for proving my point about the subject matter thing. Yeah, equating gay with beastiality and pedophilia.
It's not all in the idea. It's sometimes in how the idea is carried out.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:14 AM
No way, those movies had cowboys in them?? Damn!

1stTimeCaller
1/31/2006, 11:16 AM
No way, those movies had cowboys in them?? Damn!

well, one guy in the new R&J with Claire Danes has some killer metal-heeled cowboy boots...

C&CDean
1/31/2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks for proving my point about the subject matter thing. Yeah, equating gay with beastiality and pedophilia.
It's not all in the idea. It's sometimes in how the idea is carried out.

Sorry Ron, but I equate "gay" with beastiality and pedophilia. Also S&M, auto-erotic fixation, and the whole plethora of other deviant sex acts perverted people dream up. Everybody has their sexual "thing." Why is it "normal" for a guy to only be able to get it up when fondling some other guy - but a guy who can't get it up unless he's with a 6 year old should be taken out back and shot? Don't say "two consenting adults" because it's a BS answer. In reality, it's all whack.

In my world, it's just as "abnormal" to stick your pecker into some guy's hairy bunghole as it is to stick it in a llama, a 9-year old girl, or under some domanatrix's spiked heel. Again, it's all whack.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:17 AM

Did I say they were the same thing or equal? No, but nice try anyways.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:21 AM
S&M cowboys would really be "out of the box".

But it would have to be done well.

jdsooner
1/31/2006, 11:21 AM
I have a suggestion for the movie theme song for Brokeback Mountain:
"Save a Horse; Ride a Cowboy" by Big and Rich!

And if movies are going to go gay, I suggest Catherine Zeta Jones, Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry and Julianne Moore starring in "Women Who Love Women".

KABOOKIE
1/31/2006, 11:22 AM
Sorry Ron, but I equate "gay" with beastiality and pedophilia. Also S&M, auto-erotic fixation, and the whole plethora of other deviant sex acts perverted people dream up. Everybody has their sexual "thing." Why is it "normal" for a guy to only be able to get it up when fondling some other guy - but a guy who can't get it up unless he's with a 6 year old should be taken out back and shot? Don't say "two consenting adults" because it's a BS answer. In reality, it's all whack.

In my world, it's just as "abnormal" to stick your pecker into some guy's hairy bunghole as it is to stick it in a llama, a 9-year old girl, or under some domanatrix's spiked heel. Again, it's all whack.

But what does it say when someone, oh say Howzit dreams about this kind of whack stuff? :D

C&CDean
1/31/2006, 11:23 AM
But what does it say when someone, oh say Howzit dreams about this kind of whack stuff? :D

Retarded gaydessness?

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 11:24 AM
"Partner of Dracula"

"Conan the Disciplinarian"

"ET the Extra Sensitive"

"The Spy Who Blew Me"

"Close Encounters of the Turd Kind"

"The Fantastic Foursome"

"Raiders of the Lost Architect"

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:25 AM
Well, sex and intercourse is such a new and exciting boundary that movies have yet cover. I for one wonder why its taken Hollywood this long to address the topic of sex?

I am sure lesbian sex will someday be addressed, and no doubt that topic fact alone will yield it numerous accolades, simply because of the creativity that this topic brings to the table!

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 11:26 AM
I wonder which one will make more $$$?

Thats all ya need to know right there. :D

And as we all know in Tubaland, might makes right.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:29 AM
And as we all know in Tubaland, might makes right.
And in JM land, democracy = bad!

PrideTrombone
Well, sex and intercourse is such a new and exciting boundary that movies have yet cover. I for one wonder why its taken Hollywood this long to address the topic of sex?

I am sure lesbian sex will someday be addressed, and no doubt that topic fact alone will yield it numerous accolades, simply because of the creativity that this topic brings to the table!

Only if they're hot lesbians.

crawfish

I fail to see what wasn't so creative about it. Or, why it wasn't at least as creative as so many other Oscar-nominated films (Gladiator, English Patient, etc). Personally, I think the Oscars simply didn't want to deal with it. Creativity/worthiness had nothing to do with it.

From what I understand about brokeback, it's a traditional story of forbidden love with the twist of gay cowboys. The only new "broken ground" is the gay cowboy aspect, which is hardly more creative than using a dead language. It may be well-done outside of that, but then again so was the Passion.

usmc-sooner
Gone with the wind would have been much better if Rhett was porking Ashley and Scarlett was ticked at both of them.

"Frankly my darling I prefer men"

JohnnyMack
Wow, your ability to misunderstand things in amazing.

What did I misunderstand, you attempted to blame Hollywood's decline on a specific movie. When I addressed the REAL reason Hollywood box office totals are down, you tell me I misunderstood something?

BeetDigger
1/31/2006, 11:31 AM

It's got my vote if it involves Catherine Zeta Jones and Scarlett Johannson

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 11:31 AM
And in JM land, democracy = bad!

No, democracy is a good thing. However the oppression of the few by the will of the masses is not. I hope you see the difference.

crawfish
1/31/2006, 11:32 AM
"Dances With Men"

Kevin Costner plays a disillusioned Civil War hero who finds satisfaction learning the bareback riding techniques of Native Americans.

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 11:33 AM
I fail to see what wasn't so creative about it. Or, why it wasn't at least as creative as so many other Oscar-nominated films (Gladiator, English Patient, etc). Personally, I think the Oscars simply didn't want to deal with it. Creativity/worthiness had nothing to do with it.

From what I understand about brokeback, it's a traditional story of forbidden love with the twist of gay cowboys. The only new "broken ground" is the gay cowboy aspect, which is hardly more creative than using a dead language. It may be well-done outside of that, but then again so was the Passion.

So taking "The Greatest Story Ever Told" and reshooting it using a different language makes it creative?

Show me another movie that comes close to attempting to tell the story that Brokeback does. Attempt to do so without leaving out the most important part of the plot which is that they are two gay men in Wyoming in the 60's please.

KABOOKIE
1/31/2006, 11:34 AM
No, democracy is a good thing. However the oppression of the few by the will of the masses is not. I hope you see the difference.

Free Tookie!!!

sooneron
1/31/2006, 11:34 AM

Why are you apologizing? That's your opinion. You don't deny it. That is my point w/ tuba.
And yes, I do say consenting adults crap, since a child that is sodomized is equivalent to rape. Not "abnormal" sex.

picasso
1/31/2006, 11:35 AM
"Dodgeballs: a True Underdog Story."

BeetDigger
1/31/2006, 11:37 AM

No, that would be Friday night at OSU and aTm.

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 11:37 AM
Free Tookie!!!

http://www.psychics.co.uk/images/sun_seance.jpg

;)

Ike
1/31/2006, 11:38 AM
wow. with as much mudslinging thats going on here, you'd think the oscars somehow exert some kind of influence in our lives.
will the Film Actors Guild be taking over the world this time?

ahhhh, I got nuthin
except:
When Harry met Larry

crawfish
1/31/2006, 11:40 AM
So taking "The Greatest Story Ever Told" and reshooting it using a different language makes it creative?

Show me another movie that comes close to attempting to tell the story that Brokeback does. Attempt to do so without leaving out the most important part of the plot which is that they are two gay men in Wyoming in the 60's please.

Yes, in the same way that "The Last Temptation of Christ" was also a remake of the same movie. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to see bbm, so I doubt I can do that challenge justice. But I have heard (from someone who loved the movie) that it's an updated take of "Romeo and Juliet". Sure, the dynamics are slightly different, but no retelling is exactly the same.

Tear Down This Wall
1/31/2006, 11:40 AM

Just 31 days into 2006 and we already have the post of the year.

All Bareback Mountain proves, win or lose, is something we've already known for years - Hollywood is way out of touch with the average, middle American family. It embarrasses itself by producing this homosexual bilge and then giving it awards to try to legitimize it.

Since it's release, Bareback has failed to reach even $8 million in ticket sales in a week. So, Hollywood, and the parasitical media that follows it, have desperately tried to make the movie seems more important than it really is. It hasn't translated into huge ticket sales. The whole exercise is nothing more than your typical Hollywood backslapping over a job poorly done. But, what else can you expect from people who make a living pretending to be other people? Nothing.

crawfish
1/31/2006, 11:42 AM
Why are you apologizing? That's your opinion. You don't deny it. That is my point w/ tuba.
And yes, I do say consenting adults crap, since a child that is sodomized is equivalent to rape. Not "abnormal" sex.

I think you're confusing "abnormal" and "compulsatory". They are mutually exclusive.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:43 AM

All Bareback Mountain proves, win or lose, is something we've already known for years - Hollywood is way out of touch with the average, middle American family. It embarrasses itself by producing this homosexual bilge and then giving it awards to try to legitimize it.

Since it's release, Bareback has failed to reach even $8 million in ticket sales in a week. So, Hollywood, and the parasitical media that follows it, have desperately tried to make the moive seems more important than it really is. It hasn't translated into huge ticket sales. The whole exercise is nothing more than your typical Hollywood backslapping over a job poorly done. But, what else can you expect from people who make a living pretending to be other people? Nothing.

Heh! Spek.

picasso
1/31/2006, 11:44 AM
look if it's a great movie then it deserves the recognition. I haven't seen it so I can't comment.
and Hollywodd isn't always there to make Joe American happy. I happen to like the less publicized, well made, not Hollywood big budgeted type of flicks.

now if the pub is just to push an agenda then I have a problem with it.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 11:45 AM
now if the pub is just to push an agenda then I have a problem with it.

Now that wouldn't be the case with this movie, would it???? ;)

I wonder what the last "cowboy" movie to have such aclaim heaped on it was????

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 11:47 AM
Now that wouldn't be the case with this movie, would it???? ;)

I wonder what the last "cowboy" movie to have such aclaim heaped on it was????

Unforgiven?

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 11:50 AM
Remember when Titanic won and then every movie after that was about forbidden love on a sinking ship?

Neither do I.

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 11:50 AM
Show me another movie that comes close to attempting to tell the story that Brokeback does. Attempt to do so without leaving out the most important part of the plot which is that they are two gay men in Wyoming in the 60's please.Just about anything with these guys:

http://moonkats.ifrance.com/barn_01.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/cowtownopry/buttramgene_lores.jpg

http://www.leonardmaltin.com/Lone%20Ranger%20larger.jpg

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

BeetDigger
1/31/2006, 11:56 AM
Unforgiven?

And that was about rape, although I don't remember a lot about it. It wasn't a True Grit type of Western, that's fer sure.

sanantoniosooner
1/31/2006, 12:02 PM
Sometimes I get a break, and check to see what new topic has arrived in my absense.

Always great to see 'brokeback' on the screen.

I'm more homophobic after this film than I ever was before.

Now queers got ropes and brands. Scary stuff.

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 12:03 PM
And that was about rape, although I don't remember a lot about it. It wasn't a True Grit type of Western, that's fer sure.

That wasn't what was asked.

C&CDean
1/31/2006, 12:04 PM

I'm not apologizing for my opinion. And a child who is sodomized is not equivalent to rape. Rape is a crime of power, not passion. Of course being passionate about sodomizing a child is sick - but no sicker than being passionate about poning another man. Varying degrees of abnormality to be sure, but all abnormal and twisted - and all falling under the "it's what turns me on" umbrella.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/31/2006, 12:10 PM
Remember when Titanic won and then every movie after that was about forbidden love on a sinking ship?

Neither do I.What about Gilligan's Island. That was about Gilligan and the Skipper.

sanantoniosooner
1/31/2006, 12:12 PM
"Little Buddy" was code

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 12:12 PM
What about Gilligan's Island. That was about Gilligan and the Skipper.

Ohhhh, good call. And you just know Ginger was a banana leaf muncher.

sooner_born_1960
1/31/2006, 12:13 PM
What about Gilligan's Island. That was about Gilligan and the Skipper.
That was more about Ginger and Mary Ann.

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 12:15 PM

Neither do I.http://bestweekever.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/down_periscope_1.jpg

Just saying.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/31/2006, 12:15 PM
If Anne Hathaway and Michelle Williams had been the central characters in Brokeback, then many of you would have no problem with it.

And FWIW, the only up close nude scenes where you could actually see parts that weren't blurred were those girls' tatas.

Mjcpr
1/31/2006, 12:16 PM
And FWIW, the only up close nude scenes where you could actually see parts that weren't blurred were those girls' tatas.

http://www.k9care.com/fga/Ron_Jeremy1.jpg

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
Oh and what about Mr. Drummond? No way he "adopted" those kids on diff'rent strokes.

sooneron
I'm not apologizing for my opinion. And a child who is sodomized is not equivalent to rape. Rape is a crime of power, not passion. Of course being passionate about sodomizing a child is sick - but no sicker than being passionate about poning another man. Varying degrees of abnormality to be sure, but all abnormal and twisted - and all falling under the "it's what turns me on" umbrella.
And some of that - the whole rape and sodomizing children can be about "power'.
I say we agree to disagree.

picasso
1/31/2006, 12:17 PM
If Anne Hathaway and Michelle Williams had been the central characters in Brokeback, then many of you would have no problem with it.

a lesbian love story with cowboys? where's my notepad...;)

sooneron
1/31/2006, 12:18 PM
a lesbian love story with cowboys? where's my notepad...;)
I think LAS already optioned it.:texan:

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 12:23 PM
Since it's release, Bareback has failed to reach even $8 million in ticket sales in a week. So, Hollywood, and the parasitical media that follows it, have desperately tried to make the movie seems more important than it really is. It hasn't translated into huge ticket sales. The whole exercise is nothing more than your typical Hollywood backslapping over a job poorly done. But, what else can you expect from people who make a living pretending to be other people? Nothing.

Glory Road, good old fashioned wholesome Disney family goodness has thus far taken in 34.9 million and averaged 2.2 thousand a theater last week. Brokeback Mountain has taken in 51 million and averaged 4 thousand a theater last week. What does that say about what films people across the country are seeing?

For a movie in limited release like BM (1654 theaters) to be besting a broadly released film like Glory Road (2397 theaters) says something. Doesn't it?

Trying to argue that BM isn't a good movie based on box office take won't work, find a new attack.

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 12:26 PM
Why do you love Brokeback Mountain?

royalfan5
1/31/2006, 12:32 PM

However it has grossed 51 million so far on a 14 million budget. BM is going to be very profitable for the studio that released. I think Republicans would respect that capitalism of the whole thing.

VeeJay
1/31/2006, 12:32 PM
Man On The Moon

Heh!

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 12:43 PM
"Mr. & Mr. Smith"

Tear Down This Wall
1/31/2006, 12:44 PM
Glory Road isn't a "good old fashioned Disney" movie. It's a movie trying the tired theme of "white man bad, black man good." It doesn't sell anymore. And, Bareback still isn't selling tons of tickets at the box office. Annapolis, a Navy story that the U.S. Naval Department and Department of Defense refused to endorse, sold more than Bareback last week.

Bareback is Hollywood bilge no matter how you slice it. We already know Hollywood and its suck-up media are filled with queers. So, it's no surprise that they nominate it for their awards despite the fact that it isn't sweeping the away the box office.

It's no big deal just, Hollywood being Hollywood - desperately trying its best to convince middle America of a world that doesn't exist. Like when their minions came out in 2004 to back John Kerry. They were sure fired up about him, but America didn't buy it.

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 12:46 PM
It's no big deal just, Hollywood being Hollywood - desperately trying its best to convince middle America of a world that doesn't exist.

Who's trying to convince who?

http://vidangesdudiable.blogspirit.com/images/medium_head-in-sand.jpg

sanantoniosooner
1/31/2006, 12:50 PM
Who's trying to convince who?

Do you believe there is NO agenda with the movie OTHER than the "Doomed relationship" story?

KABOOKIE
1/31/2006, 12:50 PM
this thread has become brokedick.

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 12:55 PM
http://vidangesdudiable.blogspirit.com/images/medium_head-in-sand.jpgDemonstration of the now infamous "Brokeback position" in progress.

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 12:55 PM
Do you believe there is NO agenda with the movie OTHER than the "Doomed relationship" story?

I think that every movie has an agenda. To make money.

The manner in which its done varies.

I also believe that gay cowboys exist and that they are not a fig newton of some hollywood producers imagination forced on WASP America to insight plagues of locusts in an effort to bring about our imminent destruction.

sanantoniosooner
1/31/2006, 12:57 PM
I think that every movie has an agenda. To make money.

The manner in which its done varies.

I also believe that gay cowboys exist and that they are not a fig newton of some hollywood producers imagination forced on WASP America to insight plagues of locusts in an effort to bring about our imminent destruction.
So you think it's ONLY about money?

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 01:02 PM
THIS JUST IN:

Capitalizing on the success of "Brokeback Mountain", Garth Brooks is releasing a new album entitled, "Garth Sings Streisand".

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2006, 01:05 PM
This thread needs this, bad:
http://www.gatheredimages.com/pics/ODD/wetcat.jpg

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 01:07 PM
Hey I got it!

Last night, that is...

Sooner_Bob
1/31/2006, 01:08 PM
I would agree with that. Hard to be creative with the Bible. I wouldn't say that . . . I know you're aware of all the different denominations. :D

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 01:09 PM
So you think it's ONLY about money?

No.

But if we weren't exposed to new things in our lives what would be the point? Why would artists keep painting, why would writers keep writing? Why would musicians keep putting out new albums?

I think my point is that movies, just like any other art form have two choices, to put out tried and true forms of art that they know will sell. They know that safe things like John Grisham, Thomas Kincaide, The Mighty Ducks, etc. sell.

They can also take the road less traveled and try and give us things that we haven't heard or seen or read before and attempt to open our minds to worlds and perspectives we're not familiar with or have no exposure to. That gives us musicians like Me'Shell NdegeOcello and writers like William Vollman and artists like Picasso (ours, not the other one).

If everything were the same, and fit in comfortable little boxes that were easily identifiable, what point would that serve?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/31/2006, 01:15 PM
If I see one more Romantic Comedy with Kevin Costner made....I swear that I would sit through Brokeback Mountain ten times before i sit through a Kevin Costner or Richard Gere Romantic Comedy! Plus you know OsU and
"that which shall not be named on Tuesday galdamnit!!!" are going to make "You can't Spell Brokeback Mountain without OU" shirts too :(

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 01:15 PM
If everything were the same, and fit in comfortable little boxes that were easily identifiable, what point would that serve?At least I wouldn't have to watch a disgusting movie trailer.
Did I get a vote on that one?
No, it was shoved down my throat, so to speak.
Sick man.

sanantoniosooner
1/31/2006, 01:16 PM
No.

But if we weren't exposed to new things in our lives what would be the point? Why would artists keep painting, why would writers keep writing? Why would musicians keep putting out new albums?

I think my point is that movies, just like any other art form have two choices, to put out tried and true forms of art that they know will sell. They know that safe things like John Grisham, Thomas Kincaide, The Mighty Ducks, etc. sell.

They can also take the road less traveled and try and give us things that we haven't heard or seen or read before and attempt to open our minds to worlds and perspectives we're not familiar with or have no exposure to. That gives us musicians like Me'Shell NdegeOcello and writers like William Vollman and artists like Picasso (ours, not the other one).

If everything were the same, and fit in comfortable little boxes that were easily identifiable, what point would that serve?
I know where you are coming from. Sometimes people can have their head in the sand on both sides of the fence. Just seeing if it's the pot calling the kettle black.

It is about money. It is about agenda. Some people make enough money on other films to lean toward agenda on one particular film. I think this one is agenda heavy.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/31/2006, 01:18 PM
I believe some Hollywood director said he makes one movie for Hollywood and then a movie for himself

soonerscuba
1/31/2006, 01:40 PM
I really don't care either way, haven't seen it, will probably rent it.

But it isn't as if this stuff hasn't been done before. There is a movie called M. Butterfly starring Jeremy Irons that probably puts this film to shame.

I'll give you a hint, the "M" may or may not stand for madame.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 01:43 PM
Cuba would know.

Scott D
1/31/2006, 01:50 PM

or 'The Lover' or 'Pretty Baby' or either version of 'Lolita'.

Scott D
1/31/2006, 01:53 PM
Glory Road isn't a "good old fashioned Disney" movie. It's a movie trying the tired theme of "white man bad, black man good." It doesn't sell anymore. And, Bareback still isn't selling tons of tickets at the box office. Annapolis, a Navy story that the U.S. Naval Department and Department of Defense refused to endorse, sold more than Bareback last week.

Bareback is Hollywood bilge no matter how you slice it. We already know Hollywood and its suck-up media are filled with queers. So, it's no surprise that they nominate it for their awards despite the fact that it isn't sweeping the away the box office.

It's no big deal just, Hollywood being Hollywood - desperately trying its best to convince middle America of a world that doesn't exist. Like when their minions came out in 2004 to back John Kerry. They were sure fired up about him, but America didn't buy it.

yeah....ok. I guess we better hope that the people that made 'Ray' never get that Jackie Robinson movie made that they are currently working on. Afterall, we can't have another movie that possibly insinuates 'white man bad, black man good'.

Glory Road is 'disney formula' for the reason that they doctored actual events within the movie. At no point in the second half of the title game did Kentucky have the lead.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/31/2006, 02:04 PM
Now Now, who am I going to believe... a guy on a Message board named Scott or Disney....call me crazy but I am going to go with Bambi and Aladdin if you don't mind...if they say Kentucky was ahead...then by God they were

soonerscuba
1/31/2006, 02:09 PM
So let's review.

"Brokeback Mountain is Hollywood's intention of turning all men to fags!!!!!"

"yeah, fags are the succ!!!!"

"I thought it was creative"

"you would fag!!!!!!!"

"I'm tired of movies about fags and blacks!!!!!!!!"

"I haven't seen it, so I really don't know"

"That is because you're a fag!!!!!!, FAG!!!!!!!!"

Did I miss anything?

C&CDean
1/31/2006, 02:10 PM
So let's review.

"Brokeback Mountain is Hollywood's intention of turning all men to fags!!!!!"

"yeah, fags are the succ!!!!"

"I thought it was creative"

"you would fag!!!!!!!"

"I'm tired of movies about fags and blacks!!!!!!!!"

"I haven't seen it, so I really don't know"

"That is because you're a fag!!!!!!, FAG!!!!!!!!"

Did I miss anything?

Yeah. The point.

soonerscuba
1/31/2006, 02:16 PM
Na, I get the point, I just don't care enough to get worked up about a movie that I alone have the choice of whether to see or not to see.

I just generally see people who cry about the non-existence of a "right to not be offended" when it comes to silly PC crap, yet freak about being so offended over something they have total control of.

BeetDigger
1/31/2006, 02:24 PM
My question is why cowboys? That ****es me off that they ruin westerns for me. Why not gay zombies or gay Jason's? I'm not into horror or slasher films so they could have ruined those and I wouldn't have cared.

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 02:24 PM
The facts is Hollyweird is propagating homosexuality thru this "brave" new film.

And as this kind of crap slowly desensitizes our nation, more and more of said crap will take further strides of gayness until we as a society are inundated by and indoctrinated to their agenda.

I for one am not a homophobe. I do not fear them. I just do not approve of their lifestyle and believe it should have stayed in their bedroom - not in my movie trailers.

And don't mess with Westerns either.

soonerscuba
1/31/2006, 02:25 PM
So you do have a right not to be offended?

picasso
1/31/2006, 02:27 PM
Happy rails again?

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 02:28 PM
That post was way too enlightened for me to understand.

All I know is it is offensive.

Fugue
1/31/2006, 02:29 PM
This thread is "mud grapply".

crawfish
1/31/2006, 02:36 PM
My question is why cowboys? That ****es me off that they ruin westerns for me. Why not gay zombies or gay Jason's? I'm not into horror or slasher films so they could have ruined those and I wouldn't have cared.

I do NOT want to know what gay zombies eat. :eek:

RacerX
1/31/2006, 02:38 PM
It'll just be another movie that wins a lot of Oscars that I haven't seen and probably never will.

Oscars (http://www.oscars.org/awardsdatabase/index.html)

JohnnyMack
1/31/2006, 02:43 PM
The facts is Hollyweird is propagating homosexuality thru this "brave" new film.

And as this kind of crap slowly desensitizes our nation, more and more of said crap will take further strides of gayness until we as a society are inundated by and indoctrinated to their agenda.

Meet your new President:

http://www.droxy.com/images/2005/08/richard-simmons.jpg

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/31/2006, 02:47 PM
I have heard they are going to start making HD DVD's of gay versions of films...I can see it now Bill and Ted bring back two most excellent Barbarian men!!!! They are going to remake the Good, The Bad, And the Ugly, but the treasure will actually be Brad Pitt!!! They literally SAVE Private Ryan!!

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 02:47 PM
Nah, he's not gay enough for the dimz

Pieces Hit
1/31/2006, 02:49 PM
Meet your new President:

http://www.droxy.com/images/2005/08/richard-simmons.jpgI'd migrate to Mexico.

Jimminy Crimson
1/31/2006, 03:03 PM
Show me another movie that comes close to attempting to tell the story that Brokeback does.

Well right now at the theaters, you have Big Momma's House 2, Nanny McPhee, Underworld:Evolution, Annapolis, Hoodwinked, Glory Road, Last Holiday, Chronic <what?> cles of Narnia, & The Matador.

I'd say maybe one or two are worse stories than Brokeback. Everything else is better.

It shows you how inferior Brokeback is when Big Momma's House 2 has made about 4 times as much as it. :D

Jimminy Crimson
1/31/2006, 03:05 PM
They literally SAVE Private Ryan!!

They already had a gay remake. Do a NSFW google search of Shaving Ryan's Privates. :eek:

crawfish
1/31/2006, 03:07 PM
They already had a gay remake. Do a NSFW google search of Shaving Ryan's Privates. :eek:

Ummm...No.

usmc-sooner
1/31/2006, 03:17 PM
it's boots and hats and cowboy chaps, spurs and latigos

Garth Brooks is gay as well.

picasso
1/31/2006, 03:20 PM
Bent Leg Hill?