PDA

View Full Version : TX Tech Game--Did We Really Come Out on Top?

OUTromBoNado
1/31/2006, 02:26 AM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not. I know everyone is tired of talking about this game. But I had a thought as I realized that Signing Day is coming up. See if you can follow me line of thinking here....

Did we really "win" because we lost the Tech game? Forget all the arguments that we really did win...because we did. Now, if we win, we go to the Cotton Bowl. However, by losing, we went to the Holiday Bowl and played a much better team. Oregon was a Top 10 team and was arguably a BCS team. So, the game got more hype, had a bigger story line with Oregon playing the "we got screwed out of the BCS" card. Also, the Holiday Bowl was Prime Time on ESPN during a weekday, whereas the Cotton Bowl was a stupid 11am game.

I guess what I'm getting around to, is did losing the Tech game and us having played in the Holiday Bowl beating a Top 10 team put us on the better end of the deal? More exposure for recruiting, huge confidence builder for the team, incredible way to end the season, great look at a major non-con opponent for next year, etc.

Am I way off-base here, or does this make sense?

bluedogok
1/31/2006, 06:18 AM
Also, the Holiday Bowl was Prime Time on ESPN during a weekday, whereas the Cotton Bowl was a stupid 11am game.
It was a 10am (CST) game, a ridiculous time slot for a game, let one of the Florida bowls start at 11am. We would have gone to that game (wife is a Tech grad) had it been a later start, but we had no desire to get on the road by 5:0am to make it a daytrip to Dallas, and after all of our Christmas travels (West Texas and OKC) we had no desire for another overnight trip.

BTW - she said that wasn't a touchdown......

snp
1/31/2006, 07:06 AM
Dude, every recruit knows about OU. It's not a matter of exposure for us anymore.

And we would've played 'Bama in the Cotton who was a top quality team. If Tech could've held them 13 points, we would've shut them out. Even if we only managed a FG against their defense we would've won and been in the same position, but with one less loss to stupid Tech.

It also would've given many of the posters here and over at Alabama's sites to have a real life circle jerk with one another. :)

sooneron
1/31/2006, 09:59 AM
It also would've given many of the posters here and over at Alabama's sites to have a real life circle jerk with one another. :)
And that would have been fun just to see what Beano would have done!:texan:

picasso
1/31/2006, 10:13 AM
we lost to Texas Tech?

soonerlaw
1/31/2006, 10:24 AM
Either way, a win against Alabama or a win against Oregon would have been a great bowl for this OU team. Personally, I agree with you, it was fun going to to the west coast and beating a highly touted Pac-10 team. It probably also helped more for next season, when we play the Ducks again.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/31/2006, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not. I know everyone is tired of talking about this game. But I had a thought as I realized that Signing Day is coming up. See if you can follow me line of thinking here....

Did we really "win" because we lost the Tech game? Forget all the arguments that we really did win...because we did. Now, if we win, we go to the Cotton Bowl. However, by losing, we went to the Holiday Bowl and played a much better team. Oregon was a Top 10 team and was arguably a BCS team. So, the game got more hype, had a bigger story line with Oregon playing the "we got screwed out of the BCS" card. Also, the Holiday Bowl was Prime Time on ESPN during a weekday, whereas the Cotton Bowl was a stupid 11am game.

I guess what I'm getting around to, is did losing the Tech game and us having played in the Holiday Bowl beating a Top 10 team put us on the better end of the deal? More exposure for recruiting, huge confidence builder for the team, incredible way to end the season, great look at a major non-con opponent for next year, etc.

Am I way off-base here, or does this make sense?

I still would have rather the call(s) at TT had been correct and we would have won and I'd happily taken our chances at the Cotton Bowl but yes everything you say makes sense and it could have worked out better in an odd sort of way.

Now I'm not crazy about playing Oregon on the road next year right after giving them a bitter loss in a bowl game but I still think we can (and will) win again.

OUinFLA
1/31/2006, 12:41 PM
we certainly came out of the bowl season better than Tex Tech did.

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2006, 12:45 PM
Did we win a national championship?

Then the season was a FAILURE!!!!!! ;)

suncoastsooner7
1/31/2006, 12:52 PM
BTW - she said that wasn't a touchdown......

One word... divorce. I know a good divorce lawyer in OKC if you need his number. ;)

PDXsooner
1/31/2006, 12:56 PM
trombanado - i think you're right. going into the game i figured if we won, losing to tech was worth it. it turned out to be well worth it, since i live in oregon and my entire wife's family can now eat a big dose of "shut the f up"

4everasooner
1/31/2006, 01:13 PM
yeh baby; shut up duck fans. sorry I lost it for a sec.

MamaMia
1/31/2006, 02:26 PM
I dont have the budget to travel to California. I could have gone to Dallas, stayed with my cousin and got us tickets to the Cotton Bowl. So yeah, as they say, "we was robbed." :P

yermom
1/31/2006, 05:02 PM
yeah, a trip to Dallas would have been a lot easier on the wallet for sure :)

mikee likee
1/31/2006, 05:19 PM
The only reply was recruit exposure. So I said then we should have played in San Antonio. It's a shame that the Alamo bowl is not higher on the food chain. San Anton is such a nice place. But I digress, There are more people talking about our win against the Qwackers than Tech's loss to Alabama.

PDXsooner
1/31/2006, 05:25 PM
cotton bowl sucks. it's the only bowl on fox, so no one thinks to turn it on. that and the sun bowl, which is the only bowl on cbs. weak. i'll take the holiday over the cotton any day.

opksooner
1/31/2006, 05:37 PM
One door closes and another door opens.

[/Philosophy 101]

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/31/2006, 06:36 PM
yeah, a trip to Dallas would have been a lot easier on the wallet for sure :)

Not for me. :P

goingoneight
1/31/2006, 11:04 PM
we lost to Texas Tech?

Whoa... Flashback... lost to T Tech??? what is this, 2000... if so, I better be getting my RRS tickets in advance! I should probably make first-row box-seat reservations at the Orange Bowl, too. It's gonna be one helluva season! ;)

Back to reality, I can agree with you on this post. OU/Bama would have been a classic matchup, but I'm glad we played someone with a reasonably good offense. Bama's offense this year was pretty d@mn dull. UO is always a classy opponent who gave respectful competiton for OU. Yeah the loss to T Tech sux, but if I could take back any losses, it would be TCU, UCLA or that other orange clad... (help me here, Tuesdays) Starting off the season the way we did totally blows, especially when TCU went and lost to freakin' SMU... it was like Boo-Blake years all over again. As the season progressed, I was glad Mike Stoops got revenge on UCLA, TCU and TU both did great considering their history.

As for that other team, which I still don't recall the name of... All I can say now is, what good does beating them for us if they go nearly 40 years without a title? T Tech will get their dose next year... mark my words...:cool:

1991SOONER
2/1/2006, 12:35 AM
I thought we had all this figured out before we played the ducks.

I don't think we did come out on top because we would have beat Alabama anyway and looked just as good if not better.

I'm not worried about it anymore because that ref in Lubbock will go to hell for what he did.

GottaHavePride
2/1/2006, 12:59 AM
One door closes and another door opens.

[/Philosophy 101]

Ooh. Very Taoist. The Tao of Foosball.

BajaOklahoma
2/1/2006, 04:46 AM
The only good thing is that Tech's "win" will forever be tainted.

And if the world starts to forget in 50 or 60 years, we can remind them.