PDA

View Full Version : Taekwondo

Mrs. Norm
1/30/2006, 09:54 PM
Does anybody know the name of the karate/taekwondo place in Robinson Crossing in Norman? I am wanting to try to find some information about it, but I can't think of the name of it. Norm and I are thinking about putting the boy in it. TIA

GottaHavePride
1/30/2006, 10:04 PM
Tae Kwon Do is pretty good - easy to get into and will keep kids active. When The Boy gets a bit older, if he wants to keep going, I've got the name of a guy in OKC that teaches a martial art that will seriously prod buttock. (It's a Taijiquan/Xingyiquan/Baguazhang mix - very fluid and extremely fast.)

Oh, and I don't know the name of the place.

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/30/2006, 10:33 PM
Tae Kwon Do is pretty good - easy to get into and will keep kids active. When The Boy gets a bit older, if he wants to keep going, I've got the name of a guy in OKC that teaches a martial art that will seriously prod buttock. (It's a Taijiquan/Xingyiquan/Baguazhang mix - very fluid and extremely fast.)

I just found my new troll handle.

SoonerInKCMO
1/30/2006, 10:41 PM
You should try to put Norm in a class.

RacerX
1/30/2006, 11:00 PM
The boy will so be kickin' Norm's ***.

usmc-sooner
1/30/2006, 11:41 PM
are you looking into for excercise or self defense. I've never taken martial arts other than the Marine Corps martial arts but I can tell you it's great excercise but not super effective for self defense.

Before I get hit with this let me add that no I don't think I can whip all the Tae Kwon Doer's of the world. --just a vast majority.:D

GottaHavePride
1/30/2006, 11:55 PM
That's why I suggested the guy in OKC later - he's completely practical-application based. His whole idea is that if you have to defend yourself, you should be done within three seconds. so he teaches you how to hit where it hurts, very fast.

jrsooner
1/31/2006, 12:08 AM
If there is an ITA Teakwondo school up there, I'd take your boy to that one. My 2 boys are in it and love it. My daughter (3) is going to start in about a year. The thing I like about the ITA is they are international and if you are traveling your kids can go to any ITA school to get his classes in.

Jimminy Crimson
1/31/2006, 12:15 AM
Poos in Edmond is where its at.

Don't know about the Norman place, sorry.

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/31/2006, 12:21 AM
Isn't the boy kind of young? If he's much younger than 6 his attention span is going to be too short for most organized classes. Look for something that is more play oriented and less structured. The instructor is more important than the style. The class needs to be fun and really fast paced or he's gonna get bored. And no matter what you do if he's that young he probably will lose interest after a few months. Check out the parks and recreation department or even see if there are some public service classes at OU. If they start insisting that you buy a bunch of equipment and/or uniform before he's had a couple of months to see if he's gonna hang with it, head for the door. Personally, I'd shy away from the classes that GHP is suggesting unless you want to get called to preschool after he chokes little Suzie out for calling the Power Rangers a bunch of panzies. Moore and OU both have excellent Judo clubs but he might be too young for them.

jrsooner
1/31/2006, 12:25 AM
Isn't the boy kind of young? If he's much younger than 6 his attention span is going to be too short for most organized classes.That's why I like the ITA organization. From 4-6 they are in what is called Tiger Cubs. They learn the White belt form and requirements while also learning the social skills ("Yes, Sir", "Don't touch me stranger", etc). From 6-12 is the Jr program then about 13 up is the adult program. Cubs meet for 30 minutes, all other classes are 50 minutes. My 1st son started at 6 and had no problem. My middle son started at 4.5 in their cub program and has been enjoying that.

GottaHavePride
1/31/2006, 12:28 AM
Personally, I'd shy away from the classes that GHP is suggesting unless you want to get called to preschool after he chokes little Suzie out for calling the Power Rangers a bunch of panzies.

Yeah, the guy's classes are pretty much adult-only. ;)

usmc-sooner
1/31/2006, 12:58 AM
honestly back in my day, we learned how to fight from getting our asses whipped. We didn't study any style because we didn't have time, we helped my parents on the farm, we played sports not playstation. We fought other guys that had the same overinflated ego's that we had, over girls who turned out to be pretty good women...........

plus we had really cool mullets and a fashion sense that has yet to be rivaled to this day.

:D

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/31/2006, 01:06 AM
little Suzie was asking for it.

usmc-sooner
1/31/2006, 01:32 AM
(It's a Taijiquan/Xingyiquan/Baguazhang mix - very fluid and extremely fast.)

I don't think they're looking for an Asian whorehouse;)

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/31/2006, 01:40 AM
honestly back in my day, we had to walk to school!!! No school buses for us. No sir!! And it was UPHILL BOTH WAYS!!!. Kids today are just spoiled with their playstations, and their new fangled toys. Why, in my day we counted ourselves lucky to find a stick to play with!! And we liked it!!!

Fixed that for ya usmc. Did you ever imagine that one day, you would become your grumpy uncle. :D

GDC
1/31/2006, 08:55 AM
Jenks martial arts teacher accused of groping student
By MATT ELLIOTT World Staff Writer
1/31/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

A Jenks martial arts instructor was charged Monday with the sexual battery of a woman he was training at his business, allegations that he said were brought against him because he refused to give her a refund.

Gary R. Wilden, 38, is accused of groping the woman, the felony charge states. The woman said she told police that Wilden touched her breast and tried to kiss her while giving her a massage around Dec. 23 in a back room of Martial Arts Academy USA, 501 W. Main St. in Jenks.

She pushed him off and later notified the police, she said. At a detective's urging, she taped a cellular telephone conversation that allegedly occurred between her and Wilden, in which she asked him about the incident.

A Jenks police detective could not be reached for comment, but the woman and her husband played the tape for the Tulsa World on Monday.

Wilden called her statements bogus and said he didn't know about any tape.

"I've got a clean slate," he said via telephone Monday night. "I've been in business for 11 years."

On the tape, the woman can be heard questioning a man about the groping. The man apologized several times and indicated that it was part of a normal massage.

"That was just a massage," the man

said after the woman asked him why he groped her. "That's what we do as a masseuse."

The man on the tape later said he didn't know what came over him when he was massaging the woman and that the situation overwhelmed him.

"I think you're a great woman, and your husband is a very lucky man, but I've a job to do, and my job is to get you where you need to be," the man said.

He offered on the tape to give the woman some free massages to help make amends.

Wilden is president of the Martial Arts Academy USA, records show. Besides Jenks, it has locations in Broken Arrow, Owasso and Grove, the business's Web site shows.

Wilden teaches several subjects, including cardio kickboxing, law-enforcement training, rape prevention, bullying programs for schools, and "Good Touch: Bad Touch," the site states. The site also lists several awards that Wilden reportedly received.

The site describes Wilden as a black belt in tae kwon do, tang so do and aikido.

Wilden, who alleged that the woman made sexual advances toward him and mentioned that he smelled good, said Monday night that "she was just as responsible for everything as I was."

"I've got hundreds of character witnesses," he said.

Wilden said he will turn himself in Tuesday morning at the Tulsa Jail.

If convicted of sexual battery, Wilden could face as much as five years in prison.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Elliott 581-8366
[email protected]

Norm In Norman
1/31/2006, 11:02 AM
I just think it will be fun for him to do. I'm not really wanting to train him to be a killing machine, although if he becomes one then so be it.

usmc-sooner
1/31/2006, 11:10 AM
you must first snatch the pebble from my hand grasshopper

or you could make him Bruce LeeRoy from the Last Dragon

choose wisely

C&CDean
1/31/2006, 11:20 AM
Karate beschmati. Bring him out to the ranch. I'll teach him Bang Foo. Bang Foo trumps all other martial arts.

IB4OU2
1/31/2006, 11:34 AM
Karate beschmati. Bring him out to the ranch. I'll teach him Bang Foo. Bang Foo trumps all other martial arts.

All boys (and girls) need to learn Bang Foo, learning to shoot, hunt and protect your property is essential to being a well rounded young hillbilly and having confidence you can handle any situation as it arises.

That's why Hairy never scares me.....:)

Czar Soonerov
1/31/2006, 12:02 PM
Poos in Edmond is where its at.

Don't know about the Norman place, sorry.

I got my blackbelt there in back in 87'. I am going to start my son up next fall I think, so I better get my butt in shape. :eddie:

OklahomaTrombone
1/31/2006, 12:07 PM

Who's Foo?

Norm In Norman
5/19/2006, 08:26 AM
OK, we took him to the guy over in Robinson Crossing yesterday. It is freaking EXPENSIVE! $100/month 12 or 36 month contract + a service charge plus a $200 deposit. WTF? That guy was a freaking salesman too. I felt like I was at Fowler Toyota or something. He made up some stuff about how he normally doesn't invite 5 year olds into the blackbelt program, but the boy was so focused that he was going to invite him into it. The blackbelt program has a 36 month contract of course. I didn't even bother asking how much it was. I may go into this guy's selling techniques when I get time. The guy was PUSHY. The classes looked pretty good though I guess.

I just thought we might out him in it so he could have fun for a few months. I bet we end up putting him into the Y or probably putting him into a church class that some nice soul told me about.

Norm In Norman
5/19/2006, 08:27 AM
Oh, and he had the boy break a board by kicking it. Now he's going around kicking everything trying to break it.

Czar Soonerov
5/19/2006, 08:29 AM
Dang, when I got my blackbelt it cost $30 a month with no contracts. I shoulda stayed with it & I could be ripping people off too...

Norm In Norman
5/19/2006, 08:32 AM
Actually it was 109.80 per month. I think the service charge was 9.8% per month for paying monthly. It was a bit cheaper paying in a lump sum, but I didn't really want to pay $1100 up front either.

All of that was for 2 30 minute classes per week,

walkoffsooner
5/19/2006, 08:52 AM
Watch tough man contest's wrestling is the way to go.

SoonerBorn68
5/19/2006, 09:18 AM
Actually it was 109.80 per month. I think the service charge was 9.8% per month for paying monthly. It was a bit cheaper paying in a lump sum, but I didn't really want to pay $1100 up front either.

All of that was for 2 30 minute classes per week,

Norm, my wife is wanting to get the family into kick boxing classes. She found a guy in Norman that charges $150 a month for my entire family of 5. He has structured hour long classes, but you're free to come in and train anytime. I'm not sure what the contract length but if Mrs. '68 was looking into it seriously it was probably a good deal.

Link (http://www.conansacademy.com/)

SoonerBorn68
5/19/2006, 09:21 AM
Kim's is a good place if you want to "buy" a belt. My daughter attended his classes for a year & he deemed her ready to get a black belt 7 months. :rolleyes:

Jimminy Crimson
5/19/2006, 09:22 AM
HI-YA!

That is crazy about 1100 a month.

Just pay that to a car dealer for 36 months and you'll have a nice *** ride paid for by time the boy turns 8! :D

Vaevictis
5/19/2006, 12:18 PM
WTF? That guy was a freaking salesman too. I felt like I was at Fowler Toyota or something. He made up some stuff about how he normally doesn't invite 5 year olds into the blackbelt program, but the boy was so focused that he was going to invite him into it. The blackbelt program has a 36 month contract of course. I didn't even bother asking how much it was. I may go into this guy's selling techniques when I get time. The guy was PUSHY.

Any instructor who behaves like this worries me. You have to be very, very careful about the instructor you pick; a poor instructor increases the likelihood of your kid learning bad habits on when and when not to use his training. Check to see if the instructor emphasizes competitive martial arts; if s/he does, take it as an extra warning flag.

An instructor who emphasizes sales will often emphasize competition as a way of promoting his or her school; it is a rare instructor that emphasizes competition who also emphasizes the personal qualities that result in a person who is responsible with the training.

Irrespective of what usmc-sooner says about the effectiveness of Tae Kwon Do -- and he may or may not be right -- the kid is essentially receiving training in how to fight, and most of his peers will not have the same benefit. A poor instructor increases the likelihood that you will receive a call some day, asking where your bullying son learned the arm lock that he used to break some random kid's arm.

(FWIW, any instructor who pulled a sales full-court press like that on me would immediately be striken from my list of people to train with no further consideration. In fact, I am looking for a place, and was considering this one because I live close; it's off my list now.)

critical_phil
5/19/2006, 12:34 PM
http://www.victorygymnastics.com/

ywia

Norm In Norman
5/19/2006, 01:15 PM
(FWIW, any instructor who pulled a sales full-court press like that on me would immediately be striken from my list of people to train with no further consideration. In fact, I am looking for a place, and was considering this one because I live close; it's off my list now.)
Dude, don't let me sway your opinion. i'd sort of like to have it verified if I was overreacting or not. Still, it's free to talk to the guy. I will say that I was uncomfortable the whole time I was there.

First off, he kept going on about how all of their equipment was expensive and cutting edge. Even the floor mat was the best money can buy. He then told me that his place was one of the top 200 places in the US (out of like 2400 or something). He told me they were the first EVER to use some sort of kicking thing and now every place that's any place has one. Ok, I'm glad he showed me stuff but I was getting this feeling that his place was aimed towards ... rich snobs. I thought this even before I got him to speak numbers with me.

Then he showed the boy some stuff for like 20 minutes - a sort of mini lesson. At the end, the boy kicked a board in half. Well yeah, it gave him some confidence. I'm pretty sure anyone could have kicked that board in two though. It was pretty dry. But he was all "Can you see how effective this program is? Can you see how much more confident he is now?"

He didn't talk numbers until the very end, and that's only after I asked about the contracts. He asked me which program I wanted to put him in before stating the prices. He had NO brochures at all, and he was hesitant to even write the numbers down on a sticky for me. And he said if he didn't hear from us soon he would call us.

His mini lesson was actually pretty good. I liked it. Also there was never any mention of competition or anything. He said there it takes a minimum of 3 years to achieve a black belt and that some places you can get it sooner but it isn't done the right way.

BUT, even so I always felt like he was trying to trick me into signing up right then. The boy was really (really) good in his lesson, but I don't know if the stuff he said about him being very good and being able to do well in the blackbelt program was just BS or not. For all I know, most kids are "recommended" for this program. he said something about he had never seen a 5 year old do so well. But then again the Alamo tour guide told her group the same thing in Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Vaevictis
5/19/2006, 01:21 PM
*shrug* I'm pretty paranoid about instructors. I've seen both ends of the spectrum. A bad instructor -- especially one who teaches kids -- is a very, very bad thing.

At the start of the lesson, did they recite an oath or a pledge or something? If so, what kind of values did it espouse? Did he emphasize any values other than "dude, this is an awesome facility!" ?

Scott D
5/19/2006, 01:28 PM
Belt $5.99 JC Penny...is good to hold up pants.

word Mr. Miyagi...word.

NormanPride
5/19/2006, 01:44 PM
Bow to your sensei!

Norm In Norman
5/19/2006, 01:51 PM
*shrug* I'm pretty paranoid about instructors. I've seen both ends of the spectrum. A bad instructor -- especially one who teaches kids -- is a very, very bad thing.

At the start of the lesson, did they recite an oath or a pledge or something? If so, what kind of values did it espouse? Did he emphasize any values other than "dude, this is an awesome facility!" ?
It was a one on one lesson, and they didn't recite anything. he taught him an attention position and a relax position and told him to always use eye contact because it helps you listen. He told him the abcs (let's see here - aim, backup, confidence, and speed). He said things that I think were things parents like to hear, like how if he has a goal like keeping his room clean and make good grades that if he uses the abcs he will achieve these goals.

He also introduced himself as "Master Whateverhisnameis". Um, he's not my master.

Czar Soonerov
5/19/2006, 01:54 PM
WHO'S THE MASTER?!?!
http://www.theguycode.com/images/articles/Sho'%20Nuff!!!.jpg

Vaevictis
5/19/2006, 02:19 PM
He also introduced himself as "Master Whateverhisnameis". Um, he's not my master.

Well, that's typical. It's an honorific, not much different than "Dr." that goes with a PhD. I doubt he would expect you to address him as such, but the students will be required to.

PhxSooner
5/19/2006, 02:43 PM
We started lil' Phx in Tae Kwon Do this week. It sounds a little like the studio Norm visited, but he never mentioned competition or equipment. They do a Tiny Tiger oath that says stuff like "knowledge in the mind" and "to make good friends". They do moves, and also talk about listening to teachers, making good decisions, etc. We've done soccer and tball, and this is the first thing he's really enjoyed. We've also told him not to practice his side kicks on his little sister.:D

Norm In Norman
5/19/2006, 02:57 PM
I hesitate to post this, but he was showing one of his friends last night the stuff he'd learned and ended up punching me in the balls. Just a graze mind you, but enough for him (and me) to get punished. I really wished the guy had told him to not practice this on dear old dad.

Vaevictis
5/19/2006, 03:08 PM
You should probably institute a rule about no practicing with humans outside of the classroom.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/19/2006, 03:13 PM
I hesitate to post this, but he was showing one of his friends last night the stuff he'd learned and ended up punching me in the balls. Just a graze mind you, but enough for him (and me) to get punished. I really wished the guy had told him to not practice this on dear old dad.

'Grazed nuts'...

Heh.

'whoa...I think playtime's over...'

IB4OU2
5/19/2006, 03:50 PM
'whoa...I think playtime's over...'

He said in a high pitched voice. :D

Boarder
5/19/2006, 03:59 PM
It's OK, Norm. I'm pretty sure you can still take him.

Norm In Norman
5/19/2006, 09:57 PM
It's OK, Norm. I'm pretty sure you can still take him.
I dunno man. My mansack wasn't too happy.

jrsooner
5/19/2006, 10:01 PM
I really wished the guy had told him to not practice this on dear old dad.Heck, my son was 6, and he almost put me down for the count. Nice little jab up beneath the rib cage.. Suffice to say we got some punching blocks after that. :)

afs
5/19/2006, 10:14 PM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/5/f/4/5f488975553a2029f6d34bb08635431e.jpg