PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/30/2006, 05:11 PM
I have just a general question. My roommate gave my XP disc to one of his friends...without my permission I might add. And anyway I have a two fold question....A) would he even be able to use it with the new registration feature thing? and could I get in trouble for that? B) What in blue blazes do I do now when that thing pops and says please insert your XP disc!! I see that every so often and I have a feeling I won't see my disc again :(

RacerX
1/30/2006, 05:12 PM
a - no he can't, no you won't
b - you're screwed

do you still have the key?

yermom
1/30/2006, 05:16 PM
the key is the important part, you can just copy someone else's as long as it's the same version

Mjcpr
1/30/2006, 05:18 PM
How do you turn off the "This document was sent to the printer..." popup? :mad:

Sooner_Bob
1/30/2006, 05:21 PM
How do you turn off the "This document was sent to the printer..." popup? :mad:

Here ya go. (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/stopspam.mspx)

Mjcpr
1/30/2006, 05:24 PM
I thought I had done that when I got this pc because I hate those things. Then all of a sudden, it started again. I disabled it, but it's still doing it....you gotta reboot or anything?

RacerX
1/30/2006, 05:24 PM
Format c:

are you sure - yes.

Mjcpr
1/30/2006, 05:27 PM
Format c:

are you sure - yes.

You've got something on your chin.

RacerX
1/30/2006, 05:29 PM
Not anymore.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/30/2006, 05:31 PM
Well see I still have the key and the problem is I put all the keys on my disc because I once bought Half-Life...and then lost the key so I was on the internet trying to steal a key to a damm game I actually went to the trouble of buying :P

RacerX
1/30/2006, 05:34 PM
He can't re-register that key, so your safe.

I'm sure one of us on here can burn you a copy if the disc doesn't reappear.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/30/2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks, I will just wait until the situation arises where I might need it..I never used it a whole lot anyway

49r
1/30/2006, 06:01 PM
I have just a general question. My roommate gave my XP disc to one of his friends...without my permission I might add. And anyway I have a two fold question....A) would he even be able to use it with the new registration feature thing? and could I get in trouble for that? B) What in blue blazes do I do now when that thing pops and says please insert your XP disc!! I see that every so often and I have a feeling I won't see my disc again :(

A). Yes, even if he uses the exact same key, activation will not be a problem. Even if you had to re-install XP and re-activate it, it'll just take a phonecall to activate it.

B). Nothing will happen, you'll be able to use that disc without any problem. XP is simply looking for a file on the CD. There will not be any new activation questions.