PDA

View Full Version : Attorneys/ H.I.P.P.A. Law?

MamaMia
1/30/2006, 03:13 PM
I was of the understanding that patients dont have to give their social security numbers because of the new H.I.P.A.A. law, or at least that is what we were told by our attorney. We even had new patient info sheets made up with that question removed. I was just told by a medical facility that they have to have my social to schedule me for a test. Is that really the case? I have insurance, they are providers and no other clinic has even asked for my social.

I refused to cooperate. I explained that I dont feel comfortable giving out that information. They said they would get back with me.

I'm curious as my husband went through almost 2 years of paperwork because his identity was stolen, by use of his social, by some Floridian at an optometrists clinic.

soonersis
1/30/2006, 04:01 PM
Have you spoken to Ed Kelsay? He's the top HIPAA attorney here in OK.

My clients still require SSNs on every patient, but don't cause a scene if they refuse. They instead ask for a copy of the driver's liscense. We just use it as a way to send to collections if the patient turns out to be a deadbeat.

MamaMia
1/30/2006, 04:44 PM
Have you spoken to Ed Kelsay? He's the top HIPAA attorney here in OK.

My clients still require SSNs on every patient, but don't cause a scene if they refuse. They instead ask for a copy of the driver's liscense. We just use it as a way to send to collections if the patient turns out to be a deadbeat.
Cant say that I know Ed Kelsay. If I did I most likely wouldnt be asking this question. ;)

My drivers license doesnt have my social anymore. I had it removed.
I have excellent medical insurance and only see health care workers who are providers for my PPO network.
I'm perfectly happy to pay my co-pay on the date of service so my social shouldnt be any of their business.

Anyway, I called my ins. comp. and they said that providers for their network wont need my social to process a claim and that they cant disallow me service if I refuse to give them that information, so its all good. :)

jk the sooner fan
1/30/2006, 04:59 PM
i dont think there's been a law more misunderstood in our history than HIPPA....

Mjcpr
1/30/2006, 05:00 PM
I think fat people should have the same rights as everyone else.

OUstudent4life
1/30/2006, 05:38 PM
i dont think there's been a law more misunderstood in our history than HIPPA....

Any law that started to be drawn up without and MD giving advice and was to govern medical practice is going to be screwy. They didn't bring docs in until the whole thing had been drafted.

Example 1: in the original law, patients were going to be given number (as in "Now serving #73") for every doctors visit.

Fun fun fun.

Example 2: Medical malpractice plantiffs lawyers filed a suit in Oklahoma claiming defense lawyers couldn't look at a patient's records during the defense of a doctor.

The judge had a good chuckle over that one.

jk the sooner fan
1/30/2006, 05:43 PM
yep, its not nearly as restrictive as most think it is....

the problem is that the medical types who have no training on it are the ones standing behind it like a line in the sand that will not be crossed

Tear Down This Wall
1/30/2006, 06:03 PM
HIPPA is a disclosure law. Medical outfits can still require your social security number; however, under HIPPA, they cannot disclose it or any other personal information about you without your permission.

achiro
1/30/2006, 07:15 PM
HIPPA SUCKS!
There are so many things wrong with it and I'm sure much of it could be challenged in court. What I don't understand is that the disclosure laws were already there. Thank GOD Sen Kennedy felt the need to get involved in the practice of health care though!

Any law that started to be drawn up without and MD giving advice and was to govern medical practice is going to be screwy. They didn't bring docs in until the whole thing had been drafted.

Try being a chiropractor who's profession had ZERO say in it. We don't practice the way a medical doctor does yet we now have to try and conform to a set of laws that do not apply.:mad:

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 08:24 PM
I think fat people should have the same rights as everyone else.

you mean we don't?

BajaOklahoma
1/30/2006, 08:35 PM
TDTW, HIPPA does not cover the use of the SS#.

We get trained on it every year.

Okla-homey
1/30/2006, 08:42 PM
HIPPA sure is a royal pain in the kiester just so HIV+ folks can keep it a secret, huh?;)

(winky and all, but that really is how/why HIPPA evolved)