PDA

View Full Version : I need a new power cord

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 01:56 PM
for my toshiba laptop...anyone have an extra one? my old one has a short in it and won't charge my computer. it is still under warranty but the guy at best buy says it has been chewed on (WTF?) and they won't warranty it.

Nab'R
1/30/2006, 01:57 PM
Cut and splice it.

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 01:59 PM
i'm not that electronics savvy.

LilSooner
That happened to my old lap top then come to find out the ac adapter inside the computer the welds were broke and it was going to cost way more to fix it than to just buy a new one.

You can find one on the internet pretty cheap.

Ike
its not the power cord.

trust me.

most likely, the power cord is fine, and instead its a problem with the power input jack losing its connection. my toshiba had the same problem.

you can test the power cord though with a multi-meter. if jiggling it gives you different readings, then it may actually be the cord, but I'm betting it ain't.

Flagstaffsooner
1/30/2006, 02:00 PM
i'm not that electronics savvy.It's only two damn wires.:confused:

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 02:05 PM
its not the power cord.

trust me.

most likely, the power cord is fine, and instead its a problem with the power input jack losing its connection. my toshiba had the same problem.

you can test the power cord though with a multi-meter. if jiggling it gives you different readings, then it may actually be the cord, but I'm betting it ain't.

it's definitely the power cord. it crackles and sparks when it gets moved around.

i just bought a new one on ebay for $12.50 and $10 shipping. best buy wanted to charge me $115.

Ike
1/30/2006, 02:06 PM
That happened to my old lap top then come to find out the ac adapter inside the computer the welds were broke and it was going to cost way more to fix it than to just buy a new one.

You can find one on the internet pretty cheap.

the 'fix' that the computer companies do for this is to replace the motherboard, which is damn expensive, instead of replacing the jack, which is cheap.

this is one of those repairs that you either have to do yourself (like I did) or get someone to do it for you.

Ike
1/30/2006, 02:07 PM
it's definitely the power cord. it crackles and sparks when it gets moved around.

i just bought a new one on ebay for $12.50 and $10 shipping. best buy wanted to charge me $115.

oh, well if its sparking, then I revise my statement.

good job on the ebay find. 30 bucks would be the max you should spend on a power converter.

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 02:07 PM
the computer is still under warranty until august so i'm taking it in this week to get a new fan on it.

the damn thing overheats and shuts down all the time.

Beef
1/30/2006, 02:10 PM
Power cords rock my face off.

LilSooner
1/30/2006, 02:11 PM
Mine does that too! It gets so freaking hot.

Ike
1/30/2006, 02:13 PM
the computer is still under warranty until august so i'm taking it in this week to get a new fan on it.

the damn thing overheats and shuts down all the time.

that can be either from dust, or if you have had the fan replaced before, its possible that when it got replaced, it was not done so with enough thermal compound to effectively transfer the heat from the CPU to the heat sink. or it could be that you just have a defective fan

after you get your fan replaced, see if you can find an uber geek that you trust and get him to 'undervolt' the CPU. doing this correctly will not affect performance at all, and will drastically reduce the heat output (which is a big problem for laptops), as well as reducing the load on the battery, giving you longer battery lifetimes.

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 02:13 PM
Mine does that too! It gets so freaking hot.

i took it in last year for that, and they had to reseat the thing and it wiped my hard drive :(

i have everything backed up now. i try not to let it overheat but if i'm using itunes it gets hot real quick

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 02:15 PM
that can be either from dust, or if you have had the fan replaced before, its possible that when it got replaced, it was not done so with enough thermal compound to effectively transfer the heat from the CPU to the heat sink. or it could be that you just have a defective fan

after you get your fan replaced, see if you can find an uber geek that you trust and get him to 'undervolt' the CPU. doing this correctly will not affect performance at all, and will drastically reduce the heat output (which is a big problem for laptops), as well as reducing the load on the battery, giving you longer battery lifetimes.

ok. the only one i trust is one i haven't talked to in months. he may have even moved to texass....so i'll see who I can find.

Ike
1/30/2006, 02:18 PM
http://www.nordichardware.com/Articles/?skrivelse=465

the above article describes undervolting. its actually something that you could do if you can read the article and understand it.

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 02:22 PM
i can prolly do it.

i'm good at following instructions...if i can make it thru the article...

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 02:23 PM
oh..and Ike..

thank you :)