PDA

View Full Version : Mr.*Mrs.*Dr.*Ms.

MamaMia
1/30/2006, 12:36 PM
When I was growing up the physicians in our lives referred to my parents as Mr. and Mrs. *****. These days however, when I visit a physicians office I'am always referred to by my first name as opposed to my title and last name. The other day a, much younger than I, physician walked into the room and said "Hello 'Sally', I'm Dr.Smith. Now, I dont mind being called by first name but why are they opposed to not doing the same? Whats up with that?

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/30/2006, 12:38 PM
I'd be ****ed if they called my parents *****

critical_phil
1/30/2006, 12:39 PM
good question sally....

Mjcpr
1/30/2006, 12:41 PM
You're a Dr? I thought you were a chick. :confused:

*runs away*

OUDoc
1/30/2006, 12:42 PM
Sally, I refer to my patients by "Mr." or "Mrs." :D However, when I was a burn tech, I called my patients by their first names. Weird, huh?

Ike
1/30/2006, 12:44 PM
Doctor
http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/gilliam7_light.jpg

MamaMia
Sally, I refer to my patients by "Mr." or "Mrs." :D However, when I was a burn tech, I called my patients by their first names. Weird, huh?
If I was all burned, I really wouldnt care what you called me. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
MDs want to lord over you that they have "status". I have a Ph.D. and my title/prefix should be Dr. However, everyone in my company refuses to call me by my title, however, the MDs are all called by their title, yet none do any real doctoring...It is truly a status thing. I go out of my way to refer to myself as Dr. THA when in a medical office just to tweek them...;)

Plus any Dr. knows Ph.D.s > than MDs because we graduated first at graduation...;)

Mjcpr
1/30/2006, 12:46 PM
Doctor
http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/gilliam7_light.jpg

Dawktah.

:D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/30/2006, 12:47 PM
My peeve here is when someone with a title seems perturbed if you don't call them by their title, or corrects you to do so.

OUstudent4life
1/30/2006, 12:48 PM
My opinion:

You always call an MD "Doctor _____" until they tell you not to. You call a PhD "Doctor _____" until they tell you not to...they earned their doctorate, too. But both of those people better call me "Mr. ______" until I tell them not to.

Ike
1/30/2006, 12:48 PM
MDs want to lord over you that they have "status". I have a Ph.D. and my title/prefix should be Dr. However, everyone in my company refuses to call me by my title, however, the MDs are all called by their title, yet none do any real doctoring...It is truly a status thing. I go out of my way to refer to myself as Dr. THA when in a medical office just to tweek them...;)

Plus any Dr. knows Ph.D.s > than MDs because we graduated first at graduation...;)

ignore those that don't call you Dr. THA.

1stTimeCaller
1/30/2006, 12:50 PM

I think it's funny that in my limited experience, PhD.'s in the education field seem to be the ones that get all assed up if you don't call them Dr.

On a side note, I haven't met one attorney that referred to themselves as Dr.

Ike
1/30/2006, 12:50 PM
My peeve here is when someone with a title seems perturbed if you don't call them by their title, or corrects you to do so.

I work around a whole bunch of PhD's. Im not too far from getting mine. the rule of thumb around the ones I work with, is that, even in a formal setting, none of them mind being called only by their first name, unless the person addressing them has peeved them off. then they will correct them to call them Dr. So and So.

MamaMia
1/30/2006, 12:54 PM
My peeve here is when someone with a title seems perturbed if you don't call them by their title, or corrects you to do so.Yes...tomorrow, I shall call my physician 'Kenneth'. I would call him Kenny, but I want to keep it a bit formal, as he will be touching me in places ordinarily reserved for my hubby. :D

TUSooner
1/30/2006, 12:54 PM
Paging Dr Alphabet. Paging Dr Alphabet. MRI and EKG are missing.

sorry :O

TheHumanAlphabet
1/30/2006, 01:00 PM
ignore those that don't call you Dr. THA.

Eeeh, I've learned to live with it. But to say the MD > Ph.D. is funny, we put in about the same amount of hours. Not sure about MDs, but we got humiliated in the process during Generals and out Defense of Dissertation.

A famous jokes goes something like, why do they call a MD facility a PRACTICE? Well, they are never done learning their profession...;)

Don't get me wrong, I respect most MDs as they worked hard and have a tough life. I just find it odd/ironic that Ph.D.s don't have the same "status" in professional and business situations. And no, my angst is not that great that I normally bring it up, but this thread seemed a perfect opportunity...:)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/30/2006, 01:02 PM
Paging Dr Alphabet. Paging Dr Alphabet. MRI and EKG are missing.

sorry :O

Heh! If you all saw me 20 years ago in a beard, red shirt and standing on the ledge at Lloyd Noble and spelling out O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A, you would have never figured I would be a Dr. today...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
I work around a whole bunch of PhD's. Im not too far from getting mine. the rule of thumb around the ones I work with, is that, even in a formal setting, none of them mind being called only by their first name, unless the person addressing them has peeved them off. then they will correct them to call them Dr. So and So.Thereby making themselves look petty. But, if it's a pi*sing match, who cares.

crawfish
On a side note, I haven't met one attorney that referred to themselves as Dr.

It's because they're afraid they'd get confused and sue themselves.

Ike
1/30/2006, 01:06 PM
Eeeh, I've learned to live with it. But to say the MD > Ph.D. is funny, we put in about the same amount of hours. Not sure about MDs, but we got humiliated in the process during Generals and out Defense of Dissertation.

A famous jokes goes something like, why do they call a MD facility a PRACTICE? Well, they are never done learning their profession...;)

Don't get me wrong, I respect most MDs as they worked hard and have a tough life. I just find it odd/ironic that Ph.D.s don't have the same "status" in professional and business situations. And no, my angst is not that great that I normally bring it up, but this thread seemed a perfect opportunity...:)

my own opinion is that your average PhD isn't much of a stickler for it, while MD's are. maybe with good reason too. MD's that tend to patients on a regular basis need to appear to be a medical authority, whether they really are or not. Otherwise, the patients confidence in them may wane. PhD's don't have patients...

I work with >500 PhD's in my collaboration, and I haven't once heard any of them ever refer to themseves or each other as Dr. so and so. It just gets in the way, and everybody here already knows who the authorities on each piece of the experiment are anyways.

Stoop Dawg
1/30/2006, 01:37 PM
PhD's don't have patients...

If by "have patients" you mean "work with patients" then that is incorrect. My wife has a PhD an consults with patients regularly.

I would think that in a family practice the patient would consider an informal greeting by first name to be good bedside manner. If it bothers you, I'm sure it wouldn't be inappropriate to correct them - as I'm sure they would correct you.

As for MDs, the ones that *require* that you call them Doctor are probably pricks in general, and calling them "Doctor" (or not) probably isn't going to change that.

IB4OU2
1/30/2006, 01:43 PM
If I was all burned, I really wouldnt care what you called me. :D

Original or Extra Crispy?

Frozen Sooner
1/30/2006, 01:47 PM
General rule of ettiquette is as follows:

In an academic setting, it is proper and expected to refer to a PhD as "Dr."

In a professional setting, it is proper to refer to a PhD as whichever is appropriate between "Mr., Mrs., Ms." while referring to an MD as "Dr." It is, however, OK for a PhD to insist on "Dr" as an honorific and such requests should be honored.

In a social setting, it is proper to refer to anyone as "Mr, Mrs, Ms." until permission to use their first name is granted. Permission is implied by usage of your own first name.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/30/2006, 01:50 PM
my own opinion is that your average PhD isn't much of a stickler for it, while MD's are. maybe with good reason too. MD's that tend to patients on a regular basis need to appear to be a medical authority, whether they really are or not. Otherwise, the patients confidence in them may wane. PhD's don't have patients...

I work with >500 PhD's in my collaboration, and I haven't once heard any of them ever refer to themseves or each other as Dr. so and so. It just gets in the way, and everybody here already knows who the authorities on each piece of the experiment are anyways.

Don't disagree with you, but don't refer to a MD as Mr/MS....

frankensooner
1/30/2006, 02:29 PM
A person should only be called a doctor if their degree is the "Terminal" degree in their field. Since a JD is not the highest degree available in the legal community (LLD), JD should not be considered doctors, only those holding the LLD should. The juris doctor degree was only concocted so that law professors could get the same pay as the other professors that had PhD's ;)

IB4OU2
1/30/2006, 02:44 PM
So if you know a physician with the last name of Doctor what would you call him?

Dr. Doctor?

give me the news........
I got a bad case of lovin'.......

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 03:36 PM
i call my ex husband "butthead"
is that fitting for a doctor?

OUDoc
1/30/2006, 03:42 PM
i call my ex husband "butthead"
is that fitting for a doctor?
Are you my wife?

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 03:48 PM
Are you my wife?

EX wife

and fyi, i went to gridiron 7 years in a row before they changed the rules

i know what doctors are really like...

OUDoc
1/30/2006, 04:06 PM
EX wife

and fyi, i went to gridiron 7 years in a row before they changed the rules

i know what doctors are really like...
Ahhh, Gridiron. The only time I really felt like I belonged! I still have all 4 of my years Gridiron tapes. Need to watch those this weekend. Very disturbing. :D

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 04:10 PM
Gridiron scared me...i was still sad when they changed it :D

I was looking forward to one more year.

OUDoc
1/30/2006, 04:13 PM
Gridiron scared me...i was still sad when they changed it :D

I was looking forward to one more year.
I missed the year one student dropped an NG tube on himself, aspirated his stomach contents and sprayed it on the crowd.
Actually, I'm glad I missed it.

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 04:14 PM
I think that was before my time.

my last visit was when they had strippers and oil wrestling...they changed it after that year.

i saw some awesome videos though.

StoopTroup
1/30/2006, 04:44 PM
Doctors quack me up.

49r
1/30/2006, 05:00 PM
<---- Surprised OUDoc hasn't whipped out the ol'

It's DOCTOR Evil...

I didn't go to four years of evil medical school for nothing, you know...

Austin Powers quotes are always teh win!

GottaHavePride
1/30/2006, 05:42 PM
Dawktah.

:D

Daktari!

http://www.tvder60er.de/bilder/daktari.jpg