PDA

View Full Version : Toll booth scofflaw must pay

BeetDigger
1/29/2006, 09:23 PM
Skipping the booth takes its toll: $76,000
But Texas scofflaw is allowed to pay just a tenth of what she owes

DALLAS - A driver who racked up about $76,000 in charges for cruising through toll booths without paying has pleaded no contest to three misdemeanor citations.

Evangelina Gonzalez, 41, entered the plea Thursday and agreed to pay one-tenth of the total, about $7,600.

“It was more than fair,” said Gonzalez’s attorney, Michael Stephens.

Had Gonzalez used a toll pass, her trips would have cost about $1,800, according to tollway authorities. Instead, they said, said she drove through the booths nearly 3,000 times without paying between June 2003 and November 2005. The $25 administrative fees for each violation added up.

Attorney Marcelle Jones said the tollway authority was “satisfied” with the arrangement. If Gonzalez meets the terms, prosecutors could dismiss the citations, with approval from the North Texas Tollway Authority, Jones said.

So, she ends up paying $7,600 for $1,800 worth of tolls. Nice.

StoopTroup
1/29/2006, 09:26 PM
:texan:

Howzit
1/29/2006, 09:29 PM
I'm missing the part about why that is fair.

trwxxa
1/29/2006, 09:32 PM
I don't understand why they wait so long to go after these people. We have the same problem in Houston.

StoopTroup
1/29/2006, 09:33 PM
Because that's probably what her attorney is going to bill her for too.

BeetDigger
1/29/2006, 10:25 PM

I think that he (the attorney) is interpreting the fact that it was for $1,800 worth of tolls. The original demand amount, $76,000, included all of the administration fees. The toll authority probably had to spend a great deal in trying to track her down and in sending out bills to her. The toll authority probably breaks even in the deal at least.

I am happy that she is paying four times the amount she would have paid had she just purchased a toll tag. There are a number of others out there that have run a number of tolls. I saw a list in the DMN. I hope that they read about this and crapped their pants.

Howzit
1/29/2006, 10:26 PM
Oh.

Well that's ok.

Hatfield
1/29/2006, 10:43 PM
I don't understand why they wait so long to go after these people. We have the same problem in Houston.

uhmmm...you saw the part where it had gone up to $76K right? Why go after someone for 100 bucks when you can wait for their sorry arse to build up some cheese.

BajaOklahoma
1/29/2006, 10:47 PM
I think I that read somewhere that she only has 3 months in which to pay off the entire $7,600 before it will be in default.

If the NTTA would catch the rest of these crooks, we wouldn't have to worry about the toll rates going up in Collin County.

SicEmBaylor
1/29/2006, 11:29 PM
Imagine her bill if she lived in Oklahoma.

OklahomaTrombone
1/29/2006, 11:36 PM
I just wanted to type "scofflaw"

jk the sooner fan
1/29/2006, 11:38 PM
If the NTTA would catch the rest of these crooks, we wouldn't have to worry about the toll rates going up in Collin County.

doesnt much matter now that we're footing the bill for a toll road in southwest fort worth.......a road 90% of us will never use.......

:mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
1/30/2006, 05:18 AM
They nailed a few here in Houston for toll jacking in a Harris County Toll Authority round-up.

They should stick Constable cars at all the EZ Tag lanes and run people done when the red light goes on. These agencies are odd. We ran for 4 years with our EZ Tag not working. I told them when we got it my wife's car ('96 Impala SS) had a metallic or metalized windshield, they said no problem (I thought "don't think so, metal and radio signal don't work to well..., but they should know their business). 4 years later, I go to update my car's account and ask them about Mrs. THA's car. The EZ Tag has never worked! They had a list a mile long that was showing the car as a violation and then cancelled as they verified the license plate. We never had a note from them. I tell them again about the windshield and they say I should've gotten a license frame pass. I always wondered why the red light went off when the Impala went through...they even told me to ignore it.

Sooner_Bob
1/30/2006, 08:42 AM
The red light has came on once since I've had my pike pass . . . I called the OTA and asked about it and they said just to call back if I got a ticket. I never got anything . . .

Okieflyer
1/30/2006, 08:47 AM
I just wanted to type "scofflaw"
Gee I learned a new word today, Scofflaw. I wish all of you scofflaws would learn to drive within the law.;)