PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Help Needed....

8timechamps
1/29/2006, 03:40 PM
I need advice on a new computer purchase. The two things than need to be taken into account are:

1. I will be working from home utilizing cable internet. So whatever that means.

2. Gaming. Not necessarily online gaming, but games that require a better video card than I currently have. Again, I have no clue what the best video cards are, or what I might need.

Okay Soonerfan geeks…grace me with your wisdom.

Flagstaffsooner
1/29/2006, 03:46 PM
Thall shalt not goeth Dell (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/compare_category.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops/hp_pavilion&catLevel=1)

Jimminy Crimson
1/29/2006, 03:51 PM
Sony

Flagstaffsooner
1/29/2006, 03:59 PM
Sony
You have got to be kidding. Damn things are inconpatable with the rest of the world.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/LuckyOutcast/smilies4.gif

BajaOklahoma
1/29/2006, 04:06 PM
Avoid HP and Dell.

oumartin
1/29/2006, 04:32 PM
I've got two dells and they look up Pron just fine!

mrowl
1/29/2006, 04:35 PM
I am on my 3rd dell, had no problems at all.

yermom
1/29/2006, 06:03 PM
another Dell vote here

just don't get the lowest priced ones with the integrated video, get a PCI-X slot

sanantoniosooner
1/29/2006, 06:08 PM
Get A video Card and Dell With It

Not really, but it was so bad I had to say it.

yermom
1/29/2006, 06:10 PM
GAVCADWI

Sooner_Bob
1/29/2006, 06:15 PM
One of our resident geeks should just build one for you . . .

RacerX
1/29/2006, 06:24 PM
For the 100th time....Every major computer manufacturer has been black balled by at least one Fortune 500 company.

It's easy to spec a dell with a video card. Just get one with 256mb of ram. Also they have the 20" wide screen monitor on sell.

Monitors with USB hubs in them rock.

HP's online configuration store kind of succs.

Building isn't that awesome since XP home SP2 alone will cost you about $200 or so.

StoopTroup
1/29/2006, 06:32 PM
Shell out and pay for an IBM.

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73&catalogId=-840&partNumber=621810U

Or for $4000.00 ;)

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73&catalogId=-840&partNumber=621859U

Cam
1/29/2006, 06:47 PM
just don't get the lowest priced ones with the integrated video, get a PCI-X slot
Doesn't matter who you buy, just stay away from integrated video...

yermom
1/29/2006, 06:57 PM
yeah, that is always a good idea

and ugh, IBM? i've just had too many bad experiences, but most of them were 5+ years ago

Cam
1/29/2006, 07:01 PM
Just in case you didn't know:

IBM = Chinese owned.

StoopTroup
1/29/2006, 07:03 PM
Just in case you didn't know:

IBM = Chinese owned.
I have some IBM stock.

Everything is for a reason.

I'm going to buy a Honda or Toyota when my Ford is paid off.

soonerboomer93
1/29/2006, 07:04 PM
actually, the dell xps, well, they won't play games well out of the box.

if you want a good build, not worried about money and getting what you pay for, then you might try http://www.maingear.com/

soonerboomer93
1/29/2006, 07:06 PM
I usually build my own, but after reading this http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTMz
i would look at buying a maingear machine

StoopTroup
1/29/2006, 07:16 PM
I have to say this one would say Boomer Sooner in a big way.

Pretty nice.

http://www.maingear.com/ProductCart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=384

soonerbrat
1/29/2006, 07:17 PM
Avoid HP and Dell.

AND COMPAQ!!!

Cam
1/29/2006, 07:17 PM
I have some IBM stock.

Everything is for a reason.

I'm going to buy a Honda or Toyota when my Ford is paid off.
Since you own IBM stock, don't worry yourself with laptop and desktop sales. They have little affect on your stock price as IBM's presonal computer division was bought by Lenova last year.

soonerbrat
1/29/2006, 07:19 PM
definitely avoid HP....go to best buy and look in the computer repair office...if there are 20 computers there to be repaired 19 of them will be HP's

Sooner_Bob
1/29/2006, 07:22 PM
I had a Sony Vaio for a couple of years and ended up building the one I have now.

And just an FYI . . . the power supply can be one of the biggest keys to any good home-built PC.

yermom
1/29/2006, 08:14 PM
AND COMPAQ!!!

HP and Compaq are the same company now

Stoop Dawg
1/29/2006, 08:18 PM
2. Gaming. Not necessarily online gaming, but games that require a better video card than I currently have. Again, I have no clue what the best video cards are, or what I might need.

Okay Soonerfan geeks…grace me with your wisdom.

The gaming geeks at work say these are the best, but also the most expensive: http://www.alienware.com/

soonerboomer93
1/29/2006, 08:21 PM
maingear > ailienware

StoopTroup
1/29/2006, 08:22 PM
Since you own IBM stock, don't worry yourself with laptop and desktop sales. They have little affect on your stock price as IBM's presonal computer division was bought by Lenova last year.
I heard about that...I was just shooting from the hip...they are a much different company than when I grew up watching them make the mega size computers that can fit in a closet now. Two of my best friends work for them. When they sell...I'll sell.

My friend was in a unique position of being on the cutting edge of new products and IBM would send him stuff for free and ask him his opinion on the product. Later they hired him. Now his *ss is hitched to a comm device 24/7.

soonerbrat
1/29/2006, 08:23 PM
HP and Compaq are the same company now

that's what i thought but it seems like i still see stuff with "compaq" on it.

soonerboomer93
1/29/2006, 09:03 PM
you will, depending on the product line it will say hp or compaq

BajaOklahoma
1/29/2006, 09:23 PM
Henry, my personal Dell service guy, knows the way to my house without directions - and he remembers my dogs names. If that doesn't scare the **** of you, I don't know what would.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100, 18 months old. When it works, it is an awesome computer. Dell is losing big bucks on my service agreement. I have gotten a new keypad, 4 new motherboards, a couple of replacement RAM chips, and a new video screen. I can do the all of the basic diagnostic checking without any assistance from the service guy - lots of experience. Apparently there is a widespread issue with the motherboards on my type of computer. I'm not sure what I am going to do when my service agreement expires.

StoopTroup
1/29/2006, 09:27 PM
I'm going to rip out the motherboard on my old dell and give it to goodwill.

Howzit
1/29/2006, 09:43 PM
Henry, my personal Dell service guy, knows the way to my house without directions - and he remembers my dogs names. If that doesn't scare the **** of you, I don't know what would.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100, 18 months old. When it works, it is an awesome computer. Dell is losing big bucks on my service agreement. I have gotten a new keypad, 4 new motherboards, a couple of replacement RAM chips, and a new video screen. I can do the all of the basic diagnostic checking without any assistance from the service guy - lots of experience. Apparently there is a widespread issue with the motherboards on my type of computer. I'm not sure what I am going to do when my service agreement expires.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 that I've had for about 14 months and never had a problem one. Guess it's luck of the draw...

StoopTroup
1/29/2006, 09:44 PM
I have a Dell Dimension 8400 that I've had for about 14 months and never had a problem one. Guess it's luck of the draw...
Dell = "The luck of the draw"

There you have it...lol

GottaHavePride
1/29/2006, 10:23 PM
At this point the only original equipment in my computer is the 3.5" floppy drive. Everything else (including the case) has been replaced. It never crashes and there's no software on it that I didn't install myself.

Although Maingear offers enough options that I'd consider going with them if I was getting a whole new system.

yermom
1/29/2006, 10:28 PM
i wouldn't buy an Inspiron... but that is just me, i like the Lattitude

i have a Dimension 4600 i've had for about 2 years with very little problems, i haven't ever called support... but i have only called tech support about 3 times in my life

yermom
1/29/2006, 10:32 PM
At this point the only original equipment in my computer is the 3.5" floppy drive. Everything else (including the case) has been replaced. It never crashes and there's no software on it that I didn't install myself.

Although Maingear offers enough options that I'd consider going with them if I was getting a whole new system.

this is cool if you are a computer guy, but if there is a component problem trying to deal with separate vendors and/or manufacturers is a bit of a pain, especially if they can't agree on which component is failing or incompatible

GottaHavePride
1/29/2006, 10:32 PM
Oh, and if you want a laptop to be able to take with you I'd probably go with either one of the new IBMs or a maingear. Heck, or one of the Mac PowerBooks. (I'm not a Mac fan, but their laptops are pretty solid.)

GottaHavePride
1/29/2006, 10:34 PM
this is cool if you are a computer guy, but if there is a component problem trying to deal with separate vendors and/or manufacturers is a bit of a pain, especially if they can't agree on which component is failing or incompatible

True, although about the worst that's ever happened to it is the power supply burning out. And that's an easy one to spot.

yermom
1/29/2006, 10:37 PM
if you have the cash, Apple is the way to go

i have been using Powerbooks for like 5 years now, Apple harware is great

the only downside is that lots of games won't run on Macs, that might be changing soon i'd imagine with the whole Intel thing

well, games and Outlook/Exchange kinda sucks on it too

RacerX
1/29/2006, 10:37 PM
Asking advice on a PC = Asking advice on a restaurant

yermom
1/29/2006, 10:38 PM
heh, Ted's ;)

GottaHavePride
1/29/2006, 10:41 PM
if you have the cash, Apple is the way to go

i have been using Powerbooks for like 5 years now, Apple harware is great

the only downside is that lots of games won't run on Macs, that might be changing soon i'd imagine with the whole Intel thing

well, games and Outlook/Exchange kinda sucks on it too

the only reason I don't like Macs that much is because they're too user-friendly for me. I don't hesitate to mess with settings on my computer, and it always seems like I waste so blasted much time on Macs just trying to figure out where the settings are buried.

yermom
1/29/2006, 11:00 PM
never heard that one before...

most everything can be done from the command line

TheHumanAlphabet
1/30/2006, 05:33 AM
Have had a Dell at work for years, they suck and fall apart.

I have a Gateway at home, love it and have had no problems.

Does anyone know if Dell is called MDG (Michael Dell Group?) in Canada? I kept seeing these adverts and they had the feel of a Dell.

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 07:51 AM
i hate the dell software, too.

yermom
1/30/2006, 08:26 AM
i've had the opposite experience with Gateway :D

i never use the Dell software...i always do my own Windows install

crawfish
1/30/2006, 08:41 AM
Don't buy a Gateway. This is from a former employee. If anything goes wrong, you'll be spending all your time with the worst customer support runaround I've ever seen.

My current PC is a Dell, and I have had a good experience so far.

Cam
1/30/2006, 09:40 PM
Inspirons succ, get the lat.

My 8400 has had zero issues for 3 years. My Gateway ishaunted and turns itself on. :eek:

Cam
1/30/2006, 09:43 PM
Any mass computer manufacturer = "The luck of the draw"
Fixed it 4 ya. ;)

Howzit
1/30/2006, 09:51 PM
i hate the dell software, too.

More than kaeru san's snot bubble?

soonerbrat
1/30/2006, 09:52 PM
More than kaeru san's snot bubble?

NO

I hate that snot bubel more than anything.

give that poor baby a kleenex!

Cam
1/30/2006, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know if Dell is called MDG (Michael Dell Group?) in Canada? I kept seeing these adverts and they had the feel of a Dell.
Dell goes by Dell everywhere.

MDG designs and builds all its computers right here in Canada. In fact, MDG is the largest domestic owned PC manufacturer in Canada.

Stoop Dawg
1/30/2006, 11:58 PM
We only use Dell at work. Servers, workstations, notebooks, everything. We have very few problems.

I liked 'em enough that when I bought one for the house I got a Dell. Of course, I'm past the point in my life where I want to tinker. I just want the flippin thing to work without me ever having to open it. For the guys that like to tinker and upgrade, something like alienware or maingear appear to be the best.

yermom
1/30/2006, 11:59 PM
one of the things i really like about Dell is the driver support on the website

if you have ever tried to upgrade the OS on a Sony or a Compaq you understand

OUTromBoNado
1/31/2006, 02:01 AM
I've got two dells and they look up Pron just fine!

link?