PDA

View Full Version : Blake Johnston (and pushing the ball up the court)....

OUAndy1807
1/29/2006, 03:37 PM
I know the guy wasn't ever going to be a world beater, but I would have liked to see how he would have progressed. The thing that I loved about the guy was that no matter what, he pushed the ball up the court. If there's nothing there, pull up and set the defense, if something develops, get the easy points.

One of the things that bugs me is that no matter how the possession ends when we're on defense, we hardly ever seem to push the ball (whether it's in transition or after a made basket). It was very obvious to me last night, because texas seems to push the ball back no matter what. Few things bug me more than when the other teams makes a basket and our guys stand down there looking at each other trying to decide who's going to inbound. Meanwhile, the other team is back and has their defense set.

I know we're running half court, but it seems like you should at least try to make some easy points (or at least keep the defense on their toes).

MojoRisen
1/29/2006, 04:00 PM
Right- you can manufature at least 10 a game doing that. Maybe we avg 70s not 60s... We should push every chance we get- back it out and set up half court.

Simple

Stanley1
1/29/2006, 04:16 PM
I know the guy wasn't ever going to be a world beater, but I would have liked to see how he would have progressed. The thing that I loved about the guy was that no matter what, he pushed the ball up the court. If there's nothing there, pull up and set the defense, if something develops, get the easy points.

One of the things that bugs me is that no matter how the possession ends when we're on defense, we hardly ever seem to push the ball (whether it's in transition or after a made basket). It was very obvious to me last night, because texas seems to push the ball back no matter what. Few things bug me more than when the other teams makes a basket and our guys stand down there looking at each other trying to decide who's going to inbound. Meanwhile, the other team is back and has their defense set.

I know we're running half court, but it seems like you should at least try to make some easy points (or at least keep the defense on their toes).

Did you watch the last couple of games? We've been pushing the ball MUCH more lately. AJ is the best at it, but I saw Neal push it once last night, and Everett a few times. We're getting there.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/29/2006, 04:22 PM
Nothing against Blake Johnston, but the reason he didn't see more playing time at OU was because he too often played out of control. Too many bad passes, too many turnovers. He did play with energy, but usually it was nervous energy and that did not help his cause.

That was probably one of the main reasons he got burned out and ended up leaving the team.

OUAndy1807
1/29/2006, 05:05 PM
Did you watch the last couple of games? We've been pushing the ball MUCH more lately. AJ is the best at it, but I saw Neal push it once last night, and Everett a few times. We're getting there.

I agree that we've been doing it more, but there's nothing worse than watching when the opposing team scors and everyone stands under the basket and looks at each other.

OUAndy1807
1/29/2006, 05:05 PM
Nothing against Blake Johnston, but the reason he didn't see more playing time at OU was because he too often played out of control. Too many bad passes, too many turnovers. He did play with energy, but usually it was nervous energy and that did not help his cause.

That was probably one of the main reasons he got burned out and ended up leaving the team.
Didn't he quit because of back injuries?

OUstud
1/29/2006, 05:22 PM
It was a respiratory condition.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/29/2006, 05:31 PM
Yes, Blake had injury issues, but he could have continued to play. The bottom line was Blake was tired of playing with injuries, his best friend Jozsef Szendrei was graduating, and he basically wanted to focus on school.

I covered him two years as a Sooner and never heard about any respiratory condition. But that could be true, I suppose.

OUAndy1807
1/29/2006, 05:55 PM
I forgot about Szendrei.

GottaHavePride
1/29/2006, 10:02 PM
Szendrei wasn't really a great player, but I loved the intensity he brought on the court.

CtheB
1/30/2006, 09:38 AM
The tailor made PG for Kelvin was John Ontjes. That kid was amazing. Didn't see it in the box scores, but he was a big contributor to the success of Oklahoma BB in the early KS years.

Taxman71
1/30/2006, 09:51 AM
The trend in the NBA if for point guards to score the majority of their points in the paint (Tony Parker leads the league) by penetrating the lane. Although NBA rules open the lane more than college, as stated above, a good 8 to 10 points per game can be had solely by pushing the ball up the court. Mentally, it just kills the psyche of the defense.

NUSooner
1/30/2006, 05:48 PM
Szendrei wasn't really a great player, but I loved the intensity he brought on the court.

As John Cheney would say, he was our "goon"

Sooner04
1/31/2006, 09:35 AM
As John Cheney would say, he was our "goon"
Yeah, but he was a goon that could get some big rebounds.

Dude was smarter than hell too. I forget how many languages he was fluent in but it was a bunch.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/31/2006, 12:23 PM
Szendrei was in no way a goon. Sampson used him to bring a little energy off the bench because he wasn't afraid to dive around on the floor or go get a rebound.

Vegas Sooner
1/31/2006, 12:27 PM
.........JOSZEF!!! ESPN always called him a "fan favorite" ha

Sooner04
1/31/2006, 03:21 PM
Szendrei was in no way a goon.
He was in Lawrence in '02.

Just clobbered Collison late in the game.

Taxman71
1/31/2006, 05:06 PM
He was in Lawrence in '02.

Just clobbered Collison late in the game.

Hey, whatever it takes to make Dickie V sit back down after giving Collison a standing ovation from reporter's row. Real professional......

NormanPride
1/31/2006, 05:17 PM
He was pretty goonish against the 'Cuse a few years back. I remember him hip-checking 'Melo and getting the punk called for a foul. I've never cheered so hard for bad officiating. :D

Jay C. Upchurch
1/31/2006, 05:55 PM
Certainly not saying he didn't play hard or held nothing back during the precious moments he got to spend on the court. Just noting he was never sent into a game to hurt someone or start a fight.

He was not a goon, nor did he ever play like one. In some ways, Joszef was too nice.

Eielson
1/31/2006, 06:11 PM
Is Blake Johnston the guy who was "pushing the ball up the court" and then just fell over? I'm not sure if this is the guy but man that was funny.

stoopified
2/2/2006, 02:10 PM
I agree that we've been doing it more, but there's nothing worse than watching when the opposing team scors and everyone stands under the basket and looks at each other.IMHO you cannot coach your players to play a style you do not wholly believe in.Kelvin has said for years he wants to be more up-tempo and get easy baskets yet with only a few exceptions that does NOT happen.My conclusion after 11 1/2 years of watching KS teams is that he believes more in pattern and and structure on offense than running.Even when he runs it ain't nothing like BILLYBALL.

Do not get me wrong, while I love Billy,IIMHO Kelvin IS a better coach.In a dream scenario Billy would be Kelvins' offensive co-ordinator.A team that rebounds and plays D like KS wants and runs like Billy's boys,man that would be sweet.Could never happen for a multitude of reasons but is fun to ponder.

CtheB
2/2/2006, 03:46 PM
IMHO you cannot coach your players to play a style you do not wholly believe in.Kelvin has said for years he wants to be more up-tempo and get easy baskets yet with only a few exceptions that does NOT happen.My conclusion after 11 1/2 years of watching KS teams is that he believes more in pattern and and structure on offense than running.Even when he runs it ain't nothing like BILLYBALL.

Do not get me wrong, while I love Billy,IIMHO Kelvin IS a better coach.In a dream scenario Billy would be Kelvins' offensive co-ordinator.A team that rebounds and plays D like KS wants and runs like Billy's boys,man that would be sweet.Could never happen for a multitude of reasons but is fun to ponder.

Are you inferring that Billy's teams didn't play defense? I would offer that Billy's teams played great defense for a team that played at such a frenzied pace.