PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Top Dawg

Ardmore_Sooner
1/29/2006, 03:11 PM
Recently at the women's games (I haven't brought it to a men's game yet) I have been walking around holding a poorly written "Bring Back Top Dawg" sign. I am going to buy a posterboard tomorrow and fix it up for the women's game Tuesday night and I was wanting some suggestions onto what I should put on it. Just leave what I have put on the first on on the new one? What would fans mostly likely want to see?

And has the Athletic Department put Top Dawg to sleep for good?

Sooner98
1/29/2006, 03:20 PM
"FREE TOP DAWG!"

OUAndy1807
1/29/2006, 03:31 PM
I was considering putting together a very shabby top dawg replica uniform (like fur pelts sewn together for the arms and legs, with an OU B-ball uniform and a mask for the face) and wearing it to all the games in protest. Unfortunately, I'm lazy and my wife wouldn't let me wear it.

Jay C. Upchurch
1/29/2006, 03:41 PM
Top Dawg has been retired to the stud farm. He ain't coming back, so you might as well embrace Boomer and Sooner, the red-headed ponies.

Jimminy Crimson
1/29/2006, 03:48 PM
'Boomer' and 'Sooner' will be gone soon enough.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/29/2006, 03:53 PM
If you see Boomer and Sooner administer this to them, you don't have to be a good athlete and it will get the point across
http://www.wrestlingtradingcards.com/images/wwf_good_humor/1991_roberts.jpg

PrideTrombone
1/29/2006, 03:54 PM
Top Dawg has been retired to the stud farm. He ain't coming back, so you might as well embrace Boomer and Sooner, the red-headed ponies.

Joe C? Is that you?

Jay C. Upchurch
1/29/2006, 04:12 PM
It's funny....

When Top Dawg was first introduced to OU fans, he got laughed at because people said "a dog" had nothing to do with the Sooners. It took 4-5 years before fans actually accepted it as the mascot. A lot of folks never did.

OU had talked about retiring Top Dawg for the last two years. It was discussed on message boards and yet no one ever stepped up and started a "Save Top Dawg" campaign when it might have done some good.

Too late now.

oumartin
1/29/2006, 04:28 PM
I say someone needs to steal the boomer and sooner mascots and hang them from a tree outside Borens estate! ........or Joe C's

PrideTrombone
1/29/2006, 04:35 PM
It's funny....

When Top Dawg was first introduced to OU fans, he got laughed at because people said "a dog" had nothing to do with the Sooners. It took 4-5 years before fans actually accepted it as the mascot. A lot of folks never did.

OU had talked about retiring Top Dawg for the last two years. It was discussed on message boards and yet no one ever stepped up and started a "Save Top Dawg" campaign when it might have done some good.

Too late now.

Top Dawg was fun and everything, but I'm more against two mascots that look like feminine mulleted pigs than I am necessarily for Top Dawg coming back. If they can figure out a way to make those horses look less retarded, I'd give them a chance.

Octavian
1/29/2006, 04:43 PM
Top Dawg was fun and everything, but I'm more against two mascots that look like feminine mulleted pigs than I am necessarily for Top Dawg coming back. If they can figure out a way to make those horses look less retarded, I'd give them a chance.

word.

OUstud
1/29/2006, 04:56 PM
More like SMU's pony would be a start.

Brasky7
1/29/2006, 04:57 PM
at least w/ Top Dawg it was kinda cool, cuz every team wants to be the "top dog", but i can't think of many teams outside of austin that wanna be "metrosexual ponies"...

Jay C. Upchurch
1/29/2006, 05:07 PM
All I'm saying is they didn't change Top Dawg when people complained... and they aren't going to change the Ponies.

You are just wasting your good time and energy.

OUAndy1807
1/29/2006, 05:11 PM
They should bring back the chant during pregame also.

Soonerus
1/29/2006, 05:13 PM
They should bring back Lil' Red....

Sooner04
1/30/2006, 09:36 AM
He ain't coming back, so you might as well embrace Boomer and Sooner, the red-headed ponies.
Uh, no thanks.

Rhino
1/30/2006, 11:07 AM
Embrace the devil pony dog pig thingys.

TopDaugIn2000
1/30/2006, 11:59 AM
I hate 'em

Vegas Sooner
1/30/2006, 12:19 PM
...Im sorry...embrace my little pony?

ultimatesooner1
1/30/2006, 01:50 PM
Uh, no thanks.

I agree

sooneron
1/30/2006, 01:57 PM
http://www.parties-direct.com/images/A5199991.jpg

I think not.

NormanPride
1/30/2006, 02:13 PM
We need a guy to dress like Snidely Whiplash and promote the ponies. That would rule. "Embrace the Phonies, er... Ponies!"

C&CDean
1/30/2006, 03:13 PM
I can honestly say I don't give a ****, and have never spent more than maybe 3-4 seconds at a game even looking at either team's mascot/s. It's a non-issue. Who cares?

If we had big ol' gnarly horses with muscles bulging and skulls tattooed on their asses would that make us more scary to opponents? Would it make us "cool?" Would it make you able to face your opponent/friends better? Would it make you a more manly man/fan? That's what I thought.

Beef
1/30/2006, 03:17 PM
If we had big ol' gnarly horses with muscles bulging and skulls tattooed on their asses would that make us more scary to opponents?
Tramp stamps on horses asses would prolly go over better in Stoolwater.

Soonerborn03
2/3/2006, 12:30 PM
I just finished an interview with a writer for the OUDaily over the new mascots and Top Dawg. I really doubt an article is really going to make any kind of difference in bringing back Top Dawg, but maybe it'll raise a little fuss for a while.

MiccoMacey
2/4/2006, 12:07 AM
You are just wasting your good time and energy.

Sorry, Jay. I disagree.

Don't stand up for something you like/want/believe in. Fight only the fights you can win. Take what someone gives you just because they say so and don't ask questions.

In a nutshell, this is what you're saying.

I don't care one way or the other about the mascots in any real great sense, but I disagree with the sentiment of your statement.

Just my .02 cents.

Jay C. Upchurch
2/4/2006, 12:23 AM
Fair enough. I certainly see what you are saying and agree.

But maybe if OU basketball fans put this "potentially misdirected" energy back into supporting the team at the LNC on game days, the Sooners themselves become the beneficiaries.

The bottom line will always be... it really doesn't matter if the official hoops mascot is Top Dawg, the Boomer and Sooner Ponies, or Shakes the Clown — it's the fans who ultimately make the difference. And once OU fans come to that realization and start filling the LNC regularly (even for the Baylors of the world), this program will rise to a whole new level.

Paperclip
2/4/2006, 12:36 AM
"FREE TOP DAWG!"

Heh, I saw that sign Wednesday night.

TopDawg
2/4/2006, 01:09 PM

Me too. I was about 10 rows behind y'all in the next section over...the SpongeCarl PendletonPants section.

Here's the bottom line: mascot that can do a belly slide > mascot that cannot

PrideTrombone
2/4/2006, 01:11 PM
My signature seems to sum up the difference between Jay and everyone else.

Jay, take a look at what's going on with the Hornets in OKC. All of a sudden, Oklahoma City is getting a reputation for having a rowdy fanbase for (gasp) basketball! Now, you've gotta think that at least half the people going to these Hornet games are OU fans as well. So why are people getting so juiced up about the NBA game and the LNC is still a mausoleum?

1. The LNC itself. This is NOT a basketball arena. It's an abomination of architecture (like so many other buildings built in the 60s-70s); and because they tried to do so many things with it, it ended up being good for nonoe of them. It sucks for concerts, it sucks for basketball, it sucks for basically everything else. The design of the arena makes you feel like you're removed from the action. It's almost like having a television camera angle, except you're there in person.

2. Joe Castiglione's Marketing Blitz: I'll be the first to admit that Joe C has made us some serious money in the athletic department, and that's great. But you can only run so many commercials during the games before people just start to tune out everything that happens while the ball isn't in play. Don't you get tired of the "Presentation of today's game ball by the VP of Arvest Bank, the Regional Manager of Carl's Jr., and a spectator who's fought cancer"? He has eased up on the Fun Police from what I could tell at the OU-Texas game, but he still has a long way to go before he's encouraging loud/rowdy behavior from fans rather than just tolerating it because we're on ESPN that day.

3. Kelvin Ball: It is effective at times, and the results over the years have been positive for the most part. But that doesn't change the fact that Kelvin's style of basketball can be boring to watch at many points during the year. When you've got a chance to watch some NBA teams take advantage of a fast break, rather than watch us pull up every time to run the set offense, a lot of people are going to opt for more offense.

Trust me, people have plenty of energy to burn in terms of cheering and hating the mascots. The Athletic Department just has to a better job of letting the louder fans go and stir up the lazy ones. Chairbacks? Take em out. Put in some hard metal benches and make it a little more uncomfortable for the people to lounge in their seat.

I also wish we could lower the floor some more and move the media tables out of the way, but apparently the water table prevents that. Standing on the field at Memorial Stadium, you get the impression that the entire stadium is right on top of you, going upwards but never very far out from the field. The opposite is the case at LNC, where you feel almost isolated on the floor because the first few rows of seats, while closer than before, are still very far from the court. It's a shame we pumped all that money into the practice facilities at LNC, because now we will be stuck with it for the forseeable future. Unless they used a bunch of asbestos when they built it.

Soonerus
2/4/2006, 01:44 PM
BTW, for those who need a little history lesson Top Dawg originally was named Under-Dawg...My recollection is once OU finally won the Big 8 title in the 70's his name was changed to Top Dawg....

BajaOklahoma
2/4/2006, 02:54 PM
Yeap. I remember that too.

birddog
2/4/2006, 04:40 PM
It's funny....

Too late now.
Well, we didn't know they were going to bring out those things after Top Dawg was gone. Makes him look MUCH better in hindsight.

Sooner24
2/4/2006, 08:35 PM
BTW, for those who need a little history lesson Top Dawg originally was named Under-Dawg...My recollection is once OU finally won the Big 8 title in the 70's his name was changed to Top Dawg....

Almost right.

The OU wrestling team used the Under Dawg mascot. Billy Tubbs stole the idea but said the basketball team wasn't an "Under Dawg" but instead we were the "Top Dawg".

And that's the way it was. http://www.spacefacts.de/bios/portraits/candidates/cronkite_walter.jpg

Sooner24
2/4/2006, 08:39 PM
On a side note does anyone know if the wrestling team still used the Under Dawg mascot up until this year.

Jeopardude
2/4/2006, 09:56 PM
Almost right.

The OU wrestling team used the Under Dawg mascot. Billy Tubbs stole the idea but said the basketball team wasn't an "Under Dawg" but instead we were the "Top Dawg".

And that's the way it was. http://www.spacefacts.de/bios/portraits/candidates/cronkite_walter.jpg

Not sure about the wrestling part, but Under Dawg (Underdog) was first at OU B-Ball games when Dave Bliss coached in the late 70's. Tubbs was the one who did change it to Top Dawg, partly because of the idea we were "Top Dawg" and also because it was a blatant copyright/trademark violation of the greatest cartoon hero ever. It was obviously modeled after Underdog.

Anyone have old pics?

Jay C. Upchurch
2/4/2006, 11:00 PM
Jay, take a look at what's going on with the Hornets in OKC. All of a sudden, Oklahoma City is getting a reputation for having a rowdy fanbase for (gasp) basketball! Now, you've gotta think that at least half the people going to these Hornet games are OU fans as well. So why are people getting so juiced up about the NBA game and the LNC is still a mausoleum?

1. The LNC itself. This is NOT a basketball arena. It's an abomination of architecture (like so many other buildings built in the 60s-70s); and because they tried to do so many things with it, it ended up being good for nonoe of them. It sucks for concerts, it sucks for basketball, it sucks for basically everything else. The design of the arena makes you feel like you're removed from the action. It's almost like having a television camera angle, except you're there in person.

2. Joe Castiglione's Marketing Blitz: I'll be the first to admit that Joe C has made us some serious money in the athletic department, and that's great. But you can only run so many commercials during the games before people just start to tune out everything that happens while the ball isn't in play. Don't you get tired of the "Presentation of today's game ball by the VP of Arvest Bank, the Regional Manager of Carl's Jr., and a spectator who's fought cancer"? He has eased up on the Fun Police from what I could tell at the OU-Texas game, but he still has a long way to go before he's encouraging loud/rowdy behavior from fans rather than just tolerating it because we're on ESPN that day.

3. Kelvin Ball: It is effective at times, and the results over the years have been positive for the most part. But that doesn't change the fact that Kelvin's style of basketball can be boring to watch at many points during the year. When you've got a chance to watch some NBA teams take advantage of a fast break, rather than watch us pull up every time to run the set offense, a lot of people are going to opt for more offense.

Trust me, people have plenty of energy to burn in terms of cheering and hating the mascots. The Athletic Department just has to a better job of letting the louder fans go and stir up the lazy ones. Chairbacks? Take em out. Put in some hard metal benches and make it a little more uncomfortable for the people to lounge in their seat.

I also wish we could lower the floor some more and move the media tables out of the way, but apparently the water table prevents that. Standing on the field at Memorial Stadium, you get the impression that the entire stadium is right on top of you, going upwards but never very far out from the field. The opposite is the case at LNC, where you feel almost isolated on the floor because the first few rows of seats, while closer than before, are still very far from the court. It's a shame we pumped all that money into the practice facilities at LNC, because now we will be stuck with it for the forseeable future. Unless they used a bunch of asbestos when they built it.

First of all, fans are excited about the Hornets because it's something new. You had to figure the first "Major League" franchise of any kind would generate tons of interest and excitment because it's something OKC has been thirsting for for a long, long time. And certainly that has borrowed from some of the energy that otherwise would be headed to the Lloyd Noble Center.

While the LNC was not solely built as a basketball arena, that is what is was and always has been, first and foremost. And if you were there last Saturday to see OU beat Texas, then you know it can produce environment as good as any in the Big 12. It's never going to have the ambiance of Fog Allen Fieldhouse or GIA, but it can offer a decided home court advantage if the fans show up — and that's all the players need.

You are dead wrong saying the LNC "sucks" for concerts. I've seen probably 20 concerts there over the last 30 years and every single one of them has been outstanding. The acoustics have always been good and there is not a bad seat in the house. I saw the Eagles at the LNC in 1982, at the Myriad in 1994 and at the Ford Center in 2002 — the LNC show was by far and away the best of the three.

I agree OU could do a much better job of promoting the basketball games. Their TV packages have hurt attendance, but the bottom line is making money. They see other schools with similar TV package deals who still draw great crowds for basketball and figure it will eventually work here.

People will always argue that Kelvin's style isn't as "pretty" as a lot of other coaching styles. That's fair. It is what it is. Some folks will simply never embrace it despite the fact it is successful and has made OU into one of the top 10 basketball programs in the country over the last decade.

If people are comparing it to the Hornets, well, yes the Hornets average 91 points a game. That ranks them 25th in the NBA and is below average and the equivalent of a college team scoring about 71 a game. Try comparing the Hornets' style to the Phoenix Suns or Seattle or Philly, which all average over 100 points a game... fans used to watching those teams would find the Hornets rather boring, despite the best efforts of Chris Paul and David West.

The fans have the capacity to make every game as exciting or dull as they see fit. If rowdy fans show up at every game and get behind the team, the team is going to respond. If 6,500 docile fans show and sit on their hands, it makes a huge difference in the energy level and the ability of the team to take advantage of it supposed home court edge.

Mascots make little or no difference in any of that stuff. I've never heard Kansas give the Jayhawk character credit for firing up its fanbase. That's because they don't need it.

Fans can make all the excuses in the world — I'm sure the list is endless — as to why they don't show up and give the OU basketball program the support it deserves. But the bottom line is — true fans will be there in full force no matter if the team is 20-2 or 9-12. They are motivated by their loyalty for the Sooners and not by the number of points or fastbreaks the team produces.

GottaHavePride
2/4/2006, 11:17 PM
I agree OU could do a much better job of promoting the basketball games. Their TV packages have hurt attendance, but the bottom line is making money. They see other schools with similar TV package deals who still draw great crowds for basketball and figure it will eventually work here.

I've been thinking for a while that we should really look into a tv blackout through the OKC area on our home games.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/4/2006, 11:34 PM

That was me! :D

Ardmore_Sooner
2/4/2006, 11:41 PM
One side of my "Free Top Dawg" sign had a decoy "GO OU #1" on the backside. The camera man finally got to me and I held up the fake side and turned it over to the Top Dawg side. The camera was off of me in less than a second. A writer for the Daily is going to call me tomorrow afternoon and ask me some questions for a paper article and some friends and I are going to try to set up a table at the union one day and try to get people to sign a petition, and even bring it outside before the men's and women's games. never hurts to try I guess.

MikeInNorman
2/5/2006, 11:42 AM
Here is the Top Daug story. In ancient times, when people actually attended and were interested in a sport called "college wrestling", the OU wresting coach, Stan Abel, pondered a gimmick to fire up the home crowd before a home wrestling match against the Kings of Rasslin', Aggy. Yes, there used to be "crowds" in attendance for this now rapidly dying sport. Anyway, an "Underdog" costume was rented and a crimson singlet was put on the Underdog. It was not Under-Dawg, or Under-Daug, but plain old Underdog, just like the cartoon character. The "crowd" responded well, and the rassers had a mascot.

Billy Tubbs saw it, and it was good. Before a big OU game in his second year, Billy borrowed "Underdog" from Stan Abel. But Billy, being Billy, wanted no part of being an "Underdog" at anything, and renamed the pooch "Top Daug". The dog was a hit.

To avoid possible licensing problems related to the Underdog costume, Billy had his own dog outfit made, and thus Top Daug became the mascot for OU basketball. Ironically, due to the general lack of interest in rasslin nationwide, Abel could have probably used Underdog until the end of time and no one would have noticed.

The only reason Top Daug was banished is that OU does not own TD. It is 100% about money and licensing rights, and it is 100% on Joe C. And so, in the name of money, a unique, odd, and quirky bit of OU basketball tradition and history was thrown under the bus so that Joe C. could control all of the mascot licensing rights.

I think it is perfect that the mulleted ponies are such a flop with the fans. Deservedly so.

NormanPride
2/5/2006, 02:00 PM
(this is badger still)

I had a similar sign that I brought to the earlier games this season - one side said something like GO SOONERS, and the other side said SAVE TOP DAWG!

If I make it back down to Norman before the end of the season, I'll have my fun again... it's just a matter of going about it in a "get on camera" way.

...or at least "get the attention of as many spectators as possible" way.

OUstud
2/5/2006, 11:02 PM
If you don't want the damn ponies, the damn ponies that are singlehandedly destroying OU, ignore his pleas for "The Wave" during basketball games.

That is all.

william_brasky
2/5/2006, 11:06 PM
If you don't want the damn ponies, the damn ponies that are singlehandedly destroying OU, ignore his pleas for "The Wave" during basketball games.

That is all.

what?

OUstud
2/5/2006, 11:12 PM
what?

You haven't seen him hold up the DO THE WAVE sign and run around like a retard? I'm saying if he was ignored, he would be rendered useless and let go.

william_brasky
2/5/2006, 11:17 PM
It was a grammatical thing dude.

Never you mind.

It's all good.

longhorn gdc
2/5/2006, 11:33 PM
Bevo rules Top Dawg

RacerX
2/5/2006, 11:40 PM
Not even remotely interesting.

longhorn gdc
2/5/2006, 11:51 PM
My negspek comments are.

TopDawg
2/6/2006, 02:10 AM
Bevo rules a mascot that no longer exists.

I guess that's a start.

Bevo also rules RoboNiner.

Soonerborn03
2/7/2006, 11:16 AM
I just finished an interview with a writer for the OUDaily over the new mascots and Top Dawg. I really doubt an article is really going to make any kind of difference in bringing back Top Dawg, but maybe it'll raise a little fuss for a while.Article's up.....http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/06/43e822c3ba9d9

Ardmore_Sooner
2/7/2006, 11:28 AM
Article's up.....http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/06/43e822c3ba9d9

I'm just glad our opinions got voiced 03

KABOOKIE
2/7/2006, 11:37 AM
Dean Spears can kiss my ***. :mad:

NormanPride
2/7/2006, 11:46 AM
Athletic Department's strategy: Wait until the old fans die out and then nobody will remember Top Daug! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2006, 12:48 PM
I have no opinion on this issue but I would like to add that college students are always mad at the 'Man' for some reason or another. Not that that is good or bad it just seems to be the way the world works.

Soonerborn03
2/7/2006, 12:55 PM
I have no opinion on this issue but I would like to add that college students are always mad at the 'Man' for some reason or another. Not that that is good or bad it just seems to be the way the world works.Yeah, it's fun. You should try it. I guess it's my own fault since I never voted for who got into UOSA, but I don't remember the "Top Dawg issue" being a part of anyone's campaign. If I would have known that UOSA were the ones that were trying to can Top Dawg rather than Joe C, I would have paid a bit more attention to the matter.

Still, doesn't Dean Spears sound like a fun name for a person to hate? Perfect villain name IMO.

Soonerborn03
2/7/2006, 12:56 PM
I'm just glad our opinions got voiced 03Yes, nice work Ardmore Sooner.

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, it's fun. You should try it.
Still, doesn't Dean Spears sound like a fun name for a person to hate? Perfect villain name IMO.

Benn there, done that, have a few tshirts, scars and MIPs to prove it ;)

the UOSA people were always the biggest idiots it seemed like. I can't think of one thing that they did other than run in elections the 6 years that I was at OU. I'm having a hard time it was them that 'passed' this new mascot thing. I think all I remember the UOSA doing when I was there was arguing with the Graduate Senate or something like that.

Oh, I'm all for you guys giving em hell. Keep up the good work!!

yermom
2/7/2006, 01:19 PM
it's on the front page of today's paper

okienole3
2/7/2006, 01:52 PM
“As they stand, they discourage crowd participation and further advance the incorrect stereotype that Sooner fans and Oklahomans are mullet-bearing wussies.”

:)

Ardmore_Sooner
2/7/2006, 02:00 PM
Today on campus there was a protest on the war in Iraq, at the end of the line was a guy holding a sign that read "Hippies" and next him was, yes guessed it, me with my "Free Top Dawg" sign. They took pictures of me and I got interviewed for the OU Campus News. I only stayed out for about thirty minutes, but I got plenty of thumbs up and "Yay Top Dawg" s!

BudsBoy
2/7/2006, 09:36 PM
Don't waste you money on pastebord, Top Dog is not comming back.

PrideTrombone
2/7/2006, 10:03 PM
Great, the one time UOSA manages to do ANYTHING, and its this. Retards.

GDC
2/7/2006, 10:07 PM
Not even remotely interesting.

Apparently interesting enough for you to post about it.

NormanPride
2/8/2006, 10:33 AM
Great, the one time UOSA manages to do ANYTHING, and its this. Retards.

Why are you surprised? All student organizations do is make life hard for the students. ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/8/2006, 10:35 AM
It would be sweet if someone farked Bring Back Top Dawg signs into the Muslim Riot signs!!

Ardmore_Sooner
2/8/2006, 02:09 PM
http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/07/43e96ffa8c0d7

Campus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo by John Ferrante/The Daily

Members of Bring Them Home wear signs in opposition to the war in Iraq while other students carry signs adding their own comments Tuesday on the South Oval.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Protest quiet on home front
Bring Them Home stages silent demonstration against war in Iraq, get tamer student response
by Meredith Simons

February 07, 2006

For the second time since August, members of the anti-war group Bring Them Home lined the South Oval in protest.

But this demonstration, with its black-clad protesters standing in a rigid, silent row, didn't draw the attention or the emotion of the group's first protest, which featured shouting members dressed up like Iraqi prisoners.

The lack of emotion seemed to be part of the plan.

Before they lined up, members refused to comment, saying the protest was intended to be a silent event that focused on its message, not people. The protesters stood with signs hung from their shoulders and duct tape across their mouths.

The vast majority of students gave the protesters curious looks but didn't stop to read the signs. Stephanie Bates, Spanish senior, stood on the sidewalk offering flyers to passing students, but most people ignored her.

“We haven't gotten a lot of takers,” Bates said. “We have gotten a lot of laughs and snickers, which I think is a little disturbing.”

“This is a mockery,” Courtney Johnson, social studies education senior, said of the group's attempt to make a statement through silence. “There's no life to this one.”

Johnson had friends and police officers telling him to control his temper at Bring Them Home's first protest, during which he got in a shouting match with one of the protesters.

“I prefer this one,” Johnson said. “They're not portraying the military in a negative way, which is what got me so fired up last time.”

Bring Them Home didn't elicit much of a response from the war's supporters, but quite a few of its opponents spoke up as they walked by.

“I think it's great. It's nice to see people standing up for anything,” said William Melton, University College freshman, after stopping to examine the signs. “It's even better when it's like this. It's organized, they're not screaming at you and telling you you're going to hell. It's not personally intrusive.”

Seemingly as numerous as the group's supporters were people who tried to gain their own attention from the protest. As the afternoon went on, more signs appeared among the Bring Them Home protesters. Some were aimed at the protesters themselves, but another, which read, “Free Top Dawg [sic.]," was unrelated.

Andrew Winningham, religious studies senior, stationed himself behind a protester whose sign said, “So are you. Let's start to proove [sic.] it." Winningham's sign trumpeted the fact that, “Prove has one O."

“I think it's funny," Winningham said. “For the most part, I agree with their message."

He said he didn't think his presence was detracting from the protesters' message.

“People who disagree with them will see it and laugh,” he said.

Winningham eventually helped correct the error on the sign.

Despite the lighthearted mood, the protesters felt like they accomplished something serious.

“I think we all agree that it went pretty well," said Justin Biggs, Bring Them Home member and psychology sophomore.

He said passing students signed 120 postcards that will be mailed to Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla. The postcards say the signer doesn't support the deaths of civilians and soldiers in Iraq and want American troops withdrawn from the country.

http://media.oudaily.com/vimages/shared/vnews/stories/43e96ffa8c0d7-19-1.jpg

That's me on the end! :D

KABOOKIE
2/8/2006, 04:30 PM
<--------------HIPPIES!!!

heh

Ardmore_Sooner
2/9/2006, 01:38 PM
Today's OU Daily....

http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/09/43eadcccbc118

Jose Santiago, University College freshman; Jami'l Buie, zoology junior; and Jason Thomas DeBerry, University College freshman, protest the absence of Top Daug on Wednesday night at Lloyd Noble Center.

http://media.oudaily.com/vimages/shared/vnews/stories/43eadcccbc118-90-2.jpg

stoopified
2/9/2006, 03:57 PM
All I'm saying is they didn't change Top Dawg when people complained... and they aren't going to change the Ponies.

You are just wasting your good time and energy.Jay I understand what you are sayin' but hey we waste our time and energy here any how.Bring back TOP DAWG,TOP DAWG,TOP DAWG ,TOP DAWG.

Apparently I missed the great TOP DAWG debate threads and this is just my two cents.The ponies suck.