PDA

View Full Version : Movie review: The New World

Okla-homey
1/29/2006, 01:41 PM
Mrs Homey and I attended a screening of "The New World" last night. It stars Colin Farrel as Captain John Smith who showed no ill effects from his alleged addiction to prescription pain meds. It also features OUr fellow Okie Wes Studi as a completely believeable and intensely played Aligonquin war chief.

The role of Pocahontas was stunningly played by 15 year old Q'orianka Kilcher.

This film won't be for everyone; it is light on dialogue and requires the audience to think, but we enjoyed it immensely. I believe it also accurately depicted the texture and substance of early 17th century English life and set up a remarkably compelling juxtaposition of that society and the indian culture it supplanted here in the New World.

Additionally, it is a captivatingly beautiful film. The scenery is incredible and pays homage to the primordial purity of our eastern seaboard as discovered by the first Europeans to arrive in the Virginia tidewater region.

The film is at times violent, but not gratuitously so. There is no profanity and no sex or nudity. In short, you could take your grandmother to see this movie without embarrasment. Therefore, it will probably completely tank.

Take a chance. Go see it.

http://www.thenewworldmovie.com/

IB4OU2
1/29/2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the review Homey.......probably the next film I will see. 'The Last of the Mohicans' is one of my favorites sounds like this one is good as well.

StoopTroup
1/29/2006, 02:01 PM
There is no profanity and no sex or nudity.

Therefore, it will probably completely tank.

Take a chance. Go see it.
Heh...

Rental.....lol.

Thanks for the review.

jreed13
1/29/2006, 02:09 PM
Our school newspaper raved about it. 4*

Okla-homey
1/29/2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the review Homey.......probably the next film I will see. 'The Last of the Mohicans' is one of my favorites sounds like this one is good as well.

Be warned. Its not like "Last of the Mohicans" in which there was a strong plotline and ample dialogue to flesh it out. Its a bit more like "Thin Red Line" in that it invokes more symbolism and requires the viewer to infer things in order to follow the story.

That said, we thought it was a killer flick.

proud gonzo
1/29/2006, 02:40 PM
I've been wanting to see this. Thanks for the tip, homey

Okla-homey
1/29/2006, 02:47 PM
I've been wanting to see this. Thanks for the tip, homey

You'll love it PG. It has parrots, elderberries, Englishmen, suits of armor, and almost no horses.:D

SoonerInKCMO
1/29/2006, 02:59 PM
...requires the audience to think...no sex or nudity...

OUT!

mrowl
1/29/2006, 03:10 PM
out... I vowed never to see another colin farrell movie ever again after Alexander.

SicEmBaylor
1/29/2006, 03:30 PM
out... I vowed never to see another colin farrell movie ever again after Alexander.

I just never want to see Colin Farrell again period, on or off the screen.

I'd heard some pretty bad things about this movie, but Okla-Homey seems to be a guy I can trust. So I might actually see it.