PDA

View Full Version : Bob Woodruff (ABC NEWS) Seriously Injured in Iraq

Boomhauer
1/29/2006, 09:51 AM
NEW YORK — ABC News co-anchor Bob Woodruff and a cameraman were seriously injured Sunday in an attack and explosion while reporting from Iraq.

The two journalists were traveling with U.S. and Iraqi troops near Taji, about 12 miles north of Baghdad, when an improvised explosive device went off, ABC News President David Westin said. Both were in serious condition and undergoing surgery at a U.S. military hospital in the area, the network said.

Both Woodruff and cameraman Doug Vogt were wearing body armor and helmets, the network said. The two had embedded with the 4th Infantry Division and traveling with an Iraqi Army unit.

The U.S. military headquarters in Baghdad confirmed that the ABC News team was involved in an attack but declined to provide further details to The Associated Press. An official military statement was expected to be issued later Sunday.

Woodruff was named co-anchor of ABC News' "World News Tonight" with Elizabeth Vargas earlier this month after the death of Peter Jennings. In an unusual approach to evening news shows, one of the two co-anchors typically reports from the studio in New York while the other reports from the field, as Woodruff was doing in Iraq.

Woodruff, 44, grew up in Michigan and became a corporate lawyer in New York. He took a leave of absence to teach at a school in China, helped CBS News during the Tiananmen Square uprising and became hooked on journalism. He has since covered the Justice Department and reported from Iraq, Afghanistan, Belgrade and Kosovo.

"When I realized there was a job that existed in this world where I could be in the middle of huge world events and actually get paid for it, it was an epiphany for me," he told the AP in a recent interview

jk the sooner fan
1/29/2006, 10:30 AM
The Iraqi mechanized vehicle they were riding in is considered more dangerous than U.S. vehicles. ABC said the two were traveling that way to get the perspective of the Iraqi military.

sad that any civilian has to experience these kinds of life threatening injuries.....BUT, i think you become a candidate for a darwin award when you arent able to "get a perspective" without putting your life in danger

JohnnyMack
1/29/2006, 11:32 AM
sad that any civilian has to experience these kinds of life threatening injuries.....BUT, i think you become a candidate for a darwin award when you arent able to "get a perspective" without putting your life in danger

I agree. I think ego drives a lot of the journalists that are on the ground in Iraq moreso than reporting a story.

But I've been told I'm a cynic.

Big Red Ron
1/29/2006, 11:37 AM
Media guys are lame.

OUthunder
1/29/2006, 11:54 AM
I finally looked up his bio and pic to see who he was. I feel bad for him, his friend, and his family, but why is this getting so much media attention? He is in a warzone, WTF did he expect?

VeeJay
1/29/2006, 01:36 PM
I hope Woodruff is going to be OK. And, not wishing ill will on anyone or anything, but Dan Rather must be the luckiest person alive. Because he was always going out and putting himself in dangerous hot spots.