PDA

View Full Version : 3+ Days

Mjcpr
1/28/2006, 11:36 PM
...without smoking. It has been easier than I thought it would be although I still crave one from time to time. Most of the time, though, I don't even think about it. I didn't really intend to quit, it just "happened" while I was sick....I wish I was more hell-bent towards quitting but we'll see how it goes.

The big test will be when I play golf and/or drink beer.

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 11:39 PM
...without smoking. It has been easier than I thought it would be although I still crave one from time to time. Most of the time, though, I don't even think about it. I didn't really intend to quit, it just "happened" while I was sick....I wish I was more hell-bent towards quitting but we'll see how it goes.

Yep..you'll have to watch that part. My buddy's been trying to quit forever, and when he gets really close to finally quitting..we'll be at a bar or have a couple cold ones somewhere and he'll smoke. He's always saying "what? I only smoke when I'm drinking." I'm always like "dude, that's cheap cause you drink all the time" haha.

Al Gore
1/28/2006, 11:39 PM
Don't drink...you need to change your habits or triggers that made you smoke.....One of my triggers was drinking so I quit drinking.....

Howzit
1/28/2006, 11:40 PM
Good for you Mjcpr.

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 11:40 PM
Don't drink...you need to change your habits or triggers that made you smoke.....One of my triggers was drinking so I quit drinking.....
That's crazy talk!..take it back...take it back now! heh

Mjcpr
1/28/2006, 11:42 PM

Sure. And I'll quit playing golf, eating, drinking coffee and having sex too. ;)

sanantoniosooner
1/28/2006, 11:43 PM
Good luck.

Smoking kills you and those near by.

That's usually not enough motivation for most people.

Mjcpr
1/28/2006, 11:44 PM
Good luck.

Smoking kills you and those near by.

No wonder my neighbors hate me.

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 11:44 PM
good point SAS

Al Gore
1/28/2006, 11:48 PM
Sure. And I'll quit playing golf, eating, drinking coffee and having sex too. ;)Yep.....right after I ate...I went for a walk so I didn't have that after meal smoke.....

walkoffsooner
1/28/2006, 11:49 PM
I quit skoal very tough 18 year habit. If you really want to you can do it. Do your friends a favor go to doctor and get some anti depressants so you won't go off on them. It gets tough for about 100 days

Mjcpr
1/28/2006, 11:50 PM
100 DAYS???

Al Gore
1/28/2006, 11:51 PM
100 DAYS???

After the 1st week it gets better.....

sanantoniosooner
1/28/2006, 11:52 PM
I quit farting for about a year once.

I gained a lot of weight.

walkoffsooner
1/28/2006, 11:56 PM
It was on me but I was around men using it everyday.To this day after eating a meal I will think I sure would like one more. But they tell me if I start back it will be 3 fold worse habit. Good Luck

Al Gore
1/28/2006, 11:56 PM
Don't Smoke.....

Mjcpr
1/28/2006, 11:58 PM
Are you threatening me with a wedgie?

:D

Al Gore
1/29/2006, 12:01 AM
Motivation......

JohnnyMack
1/29/2006, 12:20 AM
and having sex too.

At least your hand won't be all cramped up anymore.

KC//CRIMSON
1/29/2006, 12:47 AM

Download this. It's free, quick and easy. Keep it on your desk top.

http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/screens.htm

I'm on my fifth month of being smoke free.

bigdsooner
1/29/2006, 01:31 AM
congrats mjcpr, quitting no matter how is always a good thing.

BoogercountySooner
1/29/2006, 07:40 AM
6 days for me since smoking a cigar! I was smoking 4 or 5 a day!

jk the sooner fan
1/29/2006, 08:42 AM
way to go Pat - keep up the good work.........fwiw, it was about a month before i turned a corner and noticed it "getting better"......different for everybody

OUthunder
1/29/2006, 10:05 AM
No wonder my neighbors hate me.

Try the gum. It seriously will help you with the cravings and heep your mouth busy at the same time.

Good luck.

Howzit
1/29/2006, 10:16 AM
Pat, I know a guy that quit after smoking for over 20 years and he would buy boxes of bev straws to chew on. He said chewing on them helped a lot.

jk, do I remember you saying you did something like that too, or was it someone else?

jk the sooner fan
1/29/2006, 10:21 AM
i went thru a gross of sugar free mints, but i learned on the first day that the hardest habit to break was the "hand to mouth"......you just have to keep your mind occupied elsewhere

cant remember who it was that said they chewed on straws, but i do remember it

soonerbrat
1/29/2006, 10:40 AM
wellbutrin.

you're welcome

IB4OU2
1/29/2006, 10:48 AM
Sure. And I'll quit playing golf, eating, drinking coffee and having sex with myself too. ;)

No one said you should take such drastic measures.......

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/29/2006, 11:38 AM
You must sustain a LEVEL OF FEAR OF tobacco. If you can always bring to mind the horrible damage it causes, that can help you maintain that fear.

soonerbrat
1/29/2006, 12:08 PM
i fear tobacco right now

i smoked a bunch of cigarettes last night when i was drinking beer.

i feel nasty today.

Mjcpr
1/29/2006, 12:35 PM
Was anyone else dizzy when they quit? I've been dizzy, at times, since Wednesday when I went to the Dr. Not sure what the reason is but it's getting to be a pain.

jk the sooner fan
1/29/2006, 01:02 PM
YES! its called withdrawals! hang in there......

Mjcpr
1/29/2006, 01:08 PM
YES! its called withdrawals! hang in there......

Seriously? It doesn't seem to be going away.

jk the sooner fan
1/29/2006, 01:13 PM
dude......you're at 3 days....how long have you been putting nicotine in your body?

just east something,.....something sugary normally helps

Mjcpr
1/29/2006, 01:14 PM
dude......you're at 3 days....how long have you been putting nicotine in your body?

just east something,.....something sugary normally helps

4 days, thank you.

And just my luck, all we have here are wests. :mad:

Tailwind
1/29/2006, 01:15 PM
wellbutrin.

you're welcome
Doesn't work.:(

Tailwind
1/29/2006, 01:16 PM
4 days, thank you.

Good work! Keep it up.

ChickSoonerFan
1/29/2006, 01:18 PM
4 days, thank you.

Pick up some of those Pixie Stix ... pure flavored sugar... that will help.

And Congrats!

My dad quit smoking cold turkey on my 10th birthday after 26 years. It was his gift to me. I did not fully appreciate it at the time, but it means a lot to me now. Do it for your kids.

jk the sooner fan
1/29/2006, 01:22 PM
It was his gift to me. I did not fully appreciate it at the time, but it means a lot to me now. Do it for your kids.

i grew up in a family of smokers, and feel like after observing it as normal behavior, it just seemed natural to start

the main reason i quit was to break that cycle for my kids......fingers still crossed that it will work

BillyBall
1/29/2006, 01:45 PM
Try the gum. It seriously will help you with the cravings and heep your mouth busy at the same time.

Good luck.

My pops got off the cigs that way, although he has been chewing Nicorette for roughly 12 years now.... That **** is expensive.

sanantoniosooner
1/29/2006, 02:15 PM
Nicorette makes a jawbreaker that helps you get off the gum.

soonerbrat
1/29/2006, 07:01 PM
Doesn't work.:(

worked for me!

also worked as an appetite suppressant and made me so restless that i had to exercise for at least an hour a day or i couldn't sleep.

it had one other side effect that I won't mention.

I need to get back on that stuff....it's like a miracle drug.

Beef
1/29/2006, 07:43 PM
i grew up in a family of smokers, and feel like after observing it as normal behavior, it just seemed natural to start
Ditto. You would think someone who lost their father to lung cancer never would have picked one up, but smoking was everywhere around me. I'm on 2 weeks smoke free now. I'm using the patch to help with the cravings. The hand to mouth hasn't been too bad. Maybe my step-father starting chemo tomorrow for lung cancer has me extra-motivated this time. KEEP IT UP, PAT! You can do eet!

Mjcpr
1/29/2006, 08:22 PM
Ditto. You would think someone who lost their father to lung cancer never would have picked one up, but smoking was everywhere around me. I'm on 2 weeks smoke free now. I'm using the patch to help with the cravings. The hand to mouth hasn't been too bad. Maybe my step-father starting chemo tomorrow for lung cancer has me extra-motivated this time. KEEP IT UP, PAT! You can do eet!

I haven't used anything yet, but I think Mrs Mj has some patches laying around here from the last time she tried to quit.....just in case.

josh09
1/29/2006, 10:29 PM
good job, keep tryin

Czar Soonerov
1/29/2006, 10:48 PM
Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette,
Puff, puff, puff it and you'll puff yourself to death
Tell St. Peter at the pearly gate
You just hate to make him wait
You just gotta have a-nother cigarette!

OU-HSV
1/29/2006, 10:50 PM
Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette,
Puff, puff, puff it and you'll puff yourself to death
Tell St. Peter at the pearly gate
You just hate to make him wait
You just gotta have a-nother cigarette!
Heh..I heard that song on the radio one day and made my wife listen to it..she was like "this sucks"