PDA

View Full Version : Any trout fishermen/women out there?

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 02:26 PM
So I decided to go try my luck below an area dam this morning for some trout. It's the first time I've fished for trout in probably a year and a half to two years. I caught the limit (5). I was pretty happy with that (other than the fact the sky started dropping very cold rain on me about halfway through the morning. But I can't complain about the rain too much cause we sure need it here.

MojoRisen
1/28/2006, 02:30 PM
Damn, sounds like fun, I will be heading to the white river in late February, any chance of it getting cold enough in ARk for a shad kill on the white?

I am jonesing....

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 02:38 PM
Hmm..I'm not sure on that one. I'd guess that this mild winter we've had has to stop sometime and turn colder. I've only lived in Ark. for 2 and half years. My first winter here we had 8 inches of snow at my house on Valentines day...so there's always a chance of it turning colder. I'm not sure about a shad kill, I've never fished the white river. I've got a buddy that lives in Batesville Ark. and he wants me to come try out the fishing up there, if I do then I'll let you know. I've never flie fished..I always trout fish the lazy mans way with a 3way swivel, etc.

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 02:43 PM
Mojo..check this link out, looks like they'll alert you when shad kills start.
http://www.whiteriver.net/trimbles/shadkill.htm

MojoRisen
1/28/2006, 02:44 PM
The White never disapoints, Bouyants, Spoons, little Brown trout rapala's, black swivel recomended.

Rim Shoals- is a good place to stay and one of the best spots on the river, single hook- so you would have to convert the hooks on the lures, but we would catch a 100 trout a day per boat.. Starting to catch a lot more Browns- they have a program there that is starting to take shape!

Appearently the Shad Kill- starts a feeding frenzy- and the big big browns are less spooky and purge on shad- so any white pattern fly or lure or live gets crushed.

My 2 cents on the white...

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah I just read a lot about the shad kill..looks to be something pretty damn awesome. That area is just far enough away from me to justify staying overnight/over a weekend if I was to go fishing there. I drove over the Buffalo River on the way to Branson from here and it looked pretty nice as well.

MojoRisen
1/28/2006, 03:06 PM
Yeah- I am on the shad alert, I think they are really in need of rain as you know- it is a good sign it was raining today! That article is sick man- if you end up fishing the White- you will have a blast!

Hello Mike,

We would love to have you bring a group down here. We are hoping for a good shad kill this year, alot of that depends on the water level of the lake and whether we get enough rain to create the ideal conditions. We just received a couple of inches and have more in the forcast, so things are starting to look up for a shad run this year.

We can handle large groups, just let us know when you want to come, also we can recommend some places to stay, depending on how many people you bring. You may want to check out a very nice place we recommend that has a guest house called Angel's Retreat, located about 25 miles downstream from the dam, their website is http://www.whiteriver.net/angels

also their number is 870-453-1549. If you want something closer to the dam, we use a place called Rivercliff Cabins, their number is 870-431-7777. I can give you a few more too.

We look forward to talking to you and hope you will choose us to plan you trip. Thanks again.

Nancy Trimble

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 05:57 PM
Definately looks like a blast.

oumartin
1/28/2006, 06:22 PM
ya know, i am not a trout fisherman but I did eat some trout last tuesday night. good stuff.

StoopTroup
1/28/2006, 06:29 PM
From Forbes Book Club...

http://www.forbesbookclub.com/bookimages/ingram/141/401/1414012799.gif

Salt City Sooner
1/28/2006, 06:40 PM
Definately looks like a blast.

It is. My folks live over at Mountain Home, so needless to say, I hit the White every chance I get (esp. the North Fork), & I can't remember the last time I caught less than 20-25 in a day, with the most I've ever caught being 116. The vast majority aren't huge by any stretch, but you always run the chance of hooking a good one. I usually always catch at least 2-3 that push 16-18 inches. If you're looking for a guide, I HIGHLY suggest the link below, they're 2nd to none in my books service-wise, & if you're in the mood, they also guide on the Buffalo (although you'd be wise to do what you can to make sure that there's a good flow of water when you go, i.e. spring. Low water on the Buffalo makes for a pretty long day fishing-wise).

http://www.newlands.com/index.htm

BoogercountySooner
1/28/2006, 07:03 PM
When I get moved I will be driving over the White river everyday!

Just sayin

oumartin
1/28/2006, 07:13 PM
oh, so you are in eastern arkansas?

MojoRisen
1/28/2006, 08:06 PM
I have been here twice, I plan to make a trip here after the OU/Oregon Game in September! Fishing is solid...

http://www.nps.gov/rivers/images/wsr-deschutes.jpgDesignated Reach: October 28, 1988. From Wikiup Dam to the Bend Urban Growth boundary at the southwest corner of Section 13, T18S, R11E. From Odin Falls to the upper end of Lake Billy Chinook. From the Pelton Reregulating Dam to the confluence with the Columbia River.
Classification/Mileage: Scenic -- 30.0 miles; Recreational -- 143.4 miles; Total -- 173.4 miles.
The Deschutes features ruggedly beautiful scenery, outstanding whitewater boating, and a renowned sport fishery for steelhead, brown trout, and native rainbow trout. The Upper Deschutes features primarily flatwater boating with limited whitewater and excellent trout fishing opportunities. The Middle Deschutes has excellent hiking opportunities with spectacular geologic formations and waterfalls, but boating is limited. The Lower Deschutes offers the greatest opportunities for whitewater rafting and is one of Oregon's premier steelhead and trout fisheries.
Related Site:Recreation on the Deschutes River (http://www.nps.gov/cgi-bin/intercept?http://www.or.blm.gov/Prineville/Deschutes_River/)

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 08:39 PM
ya know, i am not a trout fisherman but I did eat some trout last tuesday night. good stuff.
I've got a guy that's gonna smoke the trout I caught today. I've never had smoked trout, I'm interested to see how it is.

oumartin
1/28/2006, 08:42 PM
the trout this guy cooked was just deep fried.. i still enjoyed it. smoked sounds better

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 08:44 PM

Just sayin
That's cool..you mean the house you're building is over near Mtn. Home or Batesville? That'll be nice living that close to the White River. Where I went today was Blakely Dam (it's the dam for Lake Ouachita). They've been releasing trout at the middle of each month here lately I believe. By the way, if you've never been to lake O. it is awesome, I highly recomend a visit there. And if you guys are into striper fishing..you can tear into some big ones on Lake Ouachita.

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 08:47 PM
It is. My folks live over at Mountain Home, so needless to say, I hit the White every chance I get (esp. the North Fork), & I can't remember the last time I caught less than 20-25 in a day, with the most I've ever caught being 116. The vast majority aren't huge by any stretch, but you always run the chance of hooking a good one. I usually always catch at least 2-3 that push 16-18 inches. If you're looking for a guide, I HIGHLY suggest the link below, they're 2nd to none in my books service-wise, & if you're in the mood, they also guide on the Buffalo (although you'd be wise to do what you can to make sure that there's a good flow of water when you go, i.e. spring. Low water on the Buffalo makes for a pretty long day fishing-wise).

http://www.newlands.com/index.htm
Sounds like I really need to pay a weekend visit to the White. Yeah the Buffalo looked awfully low when we drove over it..and that was Memorial Day weekend a couple years ago. Has anyone ever trout fished at Lake Taneycomo in MO? Me and some buddies used to drive up there from Broken Arrow when we were younger and rent a pontoon boat and you could catch rainbow trout all freakin day..it made for great weekend trips as well.

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 08:49 PM
the trout this guy cooked was just deep fried.. i still enjoyed it. smoked sounds better
I've had smoked salmon before and it was a little too "fishy" tasting for my liking..but I remember trout not being quite as bad when I've had it before.

Salt City Sooner
1/28/2006, 10:00 PM
Sounds like I really need to pay a weekend visit to the White. Yeah the Buffalo looked awfully low when we drove over it..and that was Memorial Day weekend a couple years ago. Has anyone ever trout fished at Lake Taneycomo in MO? Me and some buddies used to drive up there from Broken Arrow when we were younger and rent a pontoon boat and you could catch rainbow trout all freakin day..it made for great weekend trips as well.
Taneycomo's where I first started fishing for trout, around 20 years ago. Great place to go, but I'm partial to the stretch by my folks because it's not quite as elbow to elbow (although there is still plenty of traffic). Dad's got some dibs on a few private spots down that way too, so that helps to say the least.

GottaHavePride
1/28/2006, 10:13 PM
I'm not a fan of smoked fish. Cold fish bacon just isn't that appealing. Grilled, poached, broiled, or baked fish is just fine. and salmon is my favorite.

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 10:28 PM
Taneycomo's where I first started fishing for trout...
Yep, same here. Treble hooks and power eggs. We used to rent a little cottage at "Kenny's" or something like that.

IB4OU2
1/29/2006, 10:55 AM

Just sayin

And taking your brother, when he's around........;)

IB4OU2
1/29/2006, 11:01 AM
Trout fishing with dry and wet flies using a fly rod is alot of fun and an art in itself. Nothing like a trout taking a dryfly in a calm crystal clear pool of water after making the perfect cast.

BoogercountySooner
1/29/2006, 04:16 PM
That's cool..you mean the house you're building is over near Mtn. Home or Batesville? That'll be nice living that close to the White River. Where I went today was Blakely Dam (it's the dam for Lake Ouachita). They've been releasing trout at the middle of each month here lately I believe. By the way, if you've never been to lake O. it is awesome, I highly recomend a visit there. And if you guys are into striper fishing..you can tear into some big ones on Lake Ouachita.

Nope I'll be driving over the White at the head of the White river where it dumps into Beaver Lake!

I will be living between Huntsville and Eureka Springs just off of HWY. 23:)

Salt City Sooner
1/29/2006, 06:00 PM
"Nothing like a trout taking a dryfly in a calm crystal clear pool of water after making the perfect cast."
Feeling the peck, peck, peck, of a big brown slamming a nice juicy nightcrawler give me just as big of a buzz....of course, I'm awfully easy to please too.....:D

MojoRisen
1/29/2006, 07:14 PM
Feeling the peck, peck, peck, of a big brown slamming a nice juicy nightcrawler give me just as big of a buzz....of course, I'm awfully easy to please too.....:D

Fishing is fishing there are coolness to both as long as you are catching them...

Fly fishing to clear the mind and get into the environment, Night Crawler and a 6 pack and sun tan is pretty cool as well.

IF it takes a night crawler to catch a 10 pounder I would not hesitate to throw one.. I mix it up Artificials, Flys and Bait- what the hell!!!

OU-HSV
1/29/2006, 09:39 PM
Nope I'll be driving over the White at the head of the White river where it dumps into Beaver Lake!

I will be living between Huntsville and Eureka Springs just off of HWY. 23:)
That's pretty country over there. You'll be spoiled being that close to Beaver Lake.

BoogercountySooner
1/29/2006, 09:53 PM
That's pretty country over there. You'll be spoiled being that close to Beaver Lake.

I'm 1 mile from 16,000 acres of public hunting, 7 miles from my favorite smallmouth stream the Kings River, 15 minutes to Beaver lake, 35 minutes from Table Rock. Also 30 minutes from the Beaver Lake tailwaters. I'm on a 350 acre lease with Camping sites and showers with electric that borders the Buffalo river just outside of Jasper which is an hour or so from my house that I'm building.

I can be at Bull Shoals in an hour and a half or so from there also.

Life will be good!:D :D :D

BoogercountySooner
1/29/2006, 09:56 PM
Oh yea HSV one of the best trout and Smallmouth streams in Arkansas is the Spring River I have a buddy that works for the state hatchery over there and we float that river a couple of times a year. You can catch Brown trout on one throw then a Walleye on the next. Then you can catch a rainbow on one throw then maybe a Smallmouth you just never know. IT'S AWESOME BABY!!

OU-HSV
1/29/2006, 09:59 PM
I'm 1 mile from 16,000 acres of public hunting, 7 miles from my favorite smallmouth stream the Kings River, 15 minutes to Beaver lake, 35 minutes from Table Rock. Also 30 minutes from the Beaver Lake tailwaters. I'm on a 350 acre lease with Camping sites and showers with electric that borders the Buffalo river just outside of Jasper which is an hour or so from my house that I'm building.

I can be at Bull Shoals in an hour and a half or so from there also.

Life will be good!:D :D :D
Man that's awesome...are you retired? (if so I imagine your wife will never see you again being that close to the outdoors!)

Where is the Spring River? I've heard about it before.

BoogercountySooner
1/29/2006, 10:25 PM
Man that's awesome...are you retired? (if so I imagine your wife will never see you again being that close to the outdoors!)

Where is the Spring River? I've heard about it before.

No I work but I only work 7 days out of 14 and I have 9 weeks of vacation a year.

Look up Mammoth Springs on the map it's about an hour and a half from Bull Shoals to the east right on the Missouri Border!

OU-HSV
1/29/2006, 10:34 PM
No I work but I only work 7 days out of 14 and I have 9 weeks of vacation a year.

Look up Mammoth Springs on the map it's about an hour and a half from Bull Shoals to the east right on the Missouri Border!
Sounds like you've got a dream job..heh. Geeze, that's way up there in N.E. Arkiesaw. I've wanted to float the Caddo River down at Glennwood cause it's only a little less than an hour drive from my house..but it was pretty low last summer so I never went. A lake I'd like to fish is Nimrod Lake..it's not too far from my home either and it looks really nice and never very busy cause it's off the beaten path. At some areas on Hwy 60 and Hwy 7, you can see it from the road.

BoogercountySooner
1/29/2006, 11:18 PM
A dream Job except for the 13 hour days and working every other weekend!

Salt City Sooner
1/30/2006, 12:14 AM
Fishing is fishing there are coolness to both as long as you are catching them...

Fly fishing to clear the mind and get into the environment, Night Crawler and a 6 pack and sun tan is pretty cool as well.

IF it takes a night crawler to catch a 10 pounder I would not hesitate to throw one.. I mix it up Artificials, Flys and Bait- what the hell!!!
Definitely. Truth be known, I do prefer throwing a Rapala, Little Cleo, or something that you reel in. It's a tremendous rush when they drill it & almost jerk the rod out of your hands, but I'm not going to sit there & beat my head against a brick wall all day either. If bait's the ticket, then bait's the ticket, simple as that.

Salt City Sooner
1/30/2006, 12:29 AM

If you get the chance, hit the Tucker Hollow section of Bull Shoals, over by Lead Hill. It's a bit remote, but that stretch has EASILY produced the lion's share of bass that I've caught on that lake.

BoogercountySooner
1/30/2006, 05:56 AM
If you get the chance, hit the Tucker Hollow section of Bull Shoals, over by Lead Hill. It's a bit remote, but that stretch has EASILY produced the lion's share of bass that I've caught on that lake.

Cool Thanks:)

OU-HSV
1/30/2006, 08:52 AM
Definitely. Truth be known, I do prefer throwing a Rapala, Little Cleo, or something that you reel in. It's a tremendous rush when they drill it & almost jerk the rod out of your hands, but I'm not going to sit there & beat my head against a brick wall all day either. If bait's the ticket, then bait's the ticket, simple as that.
I'm the same way..I prefer active fishing..but if that's not working, you gotta do what you gotta do. Striper fishing is awesome with live bait or with redfin lures..if you guys haven't done that I highly recommend it, I can give you some guide's names that fish lake Ouachita.