PDA

View Full Version : Renting from friend

SoonerInKCMO
1/28/2006, 02:17 PM
Anyone here ever rent a house from a friend?

A friend of mine is moving to Florida soon and has asked if I would like to rent her house for a year or so until she's ready to sell it. I like the house; if it was available through a property management company for the same price she's offering me, I'd jump at the chance to get it. However, there is no third-party involved.

I'm concerned because of the thought of having to deal directly with a friend if something should go wrong with the house and need repairing/replacing. Seems like it has some potential for problems.

So, any of youse hillbillies been in this situation? Any advice?

TIA! :texan:

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 02:23 PM
Never been in that situation. But I would simply let your friend know that you want the rental to be a "business" type deal..and that there should be some kind of lease signed. Or just ask your friend if she has any warranty on the house.

GottaHavePride
1/28/2006, 02:34 PM
Or you could pay a lawyer a small fee to draw up some kind of renter's agreement between the two of you.

nmsoonergirl
1/28/2006, 03:52 PM
I'm renting from a friend, but through a rental agent, so I just call the agent for trouble. Maybe you all could work something like this out, and split the fees?

ChickSoonerFan
1/28/2006, 04:29 PM
It can be a bad deal. How close friends are you guys?

If you do rent, you can get a rental agreement at almost any Office Depot or Office Max type place. Absolutley use a rental agreement and make it clear as to who pays for what repairs and upkeep.

StoopTroup
1/28/2006, 04:50 PM
Is she hawt? ;)

chriscappel
1/28/2006, 05:05 PM
Is she hawt? ;)

This is the MOST important question...:D

OU-HSV
1/28/2006, 05:51 PM
Is she hawt? ;)
Heh..best thought yet.