PDA

View Full Version : Shut up, Mary Carillo (ESPN Tennis Blow Hard).

lexsooner
1/28/2006, 11:03 AM
From ESPN, regarding Justine Henin-Hardenne's default while trailing 6-1, 2-0 in the championship final in this year's Australian Open against Amélie Mauresmo:

The Belgian [Henin-Hardenne] was suffering from a debilitating, unspecified stomach ailment that may have been aggravated by her taking anti-inflammatory medication the past two weeks for an ailing right shoulder. She slept poorly on the eve of the final and called her coach, Carlos Rodriguez at 3 a.m. Saturday morning in acute distress. But there was not much the four-time major winner could do except hope her shaky health would hold up.

Henin-Hardenne: "I knew at the beginning of the match I couldn't win it," she said. "I had no legs today, couldn't move. I really tried to stay in the match, but there was no chance for me. If I would have kept playing maybe I would injure something else, so that was the best decision, even if it was very, very hard for me."

Henin-Hardenne's default came under scrutiny after the match, with a sizeable contingent feeling that she should have perhaps found a way to finish the match so as to not deny her opponent her moment in the spotlight.

ESPN's Mary Carillo said afterward, "She [Henin-Hardenne] just doesn't get it, what it means to be a champion playing in front of a full house. It wasn't her moment. You don't get to dance at your own funeral."

From watching HH over the years, she is tough as nails and focused and driven. She is anything but a wimp. She beats women who are much bigger and stronger through skill, quickness and sheer tenacity. I have never seen a more beautiful one handed loop backhand, virtually unseen on the women's tour. No, she is not the most charming or charismatic player, but if she quit, it was because she really was sick. Frankly she looked ill at the start of the match, and the article above indicates she really was sick.

Carillo needs to shut the h--- up. She was never much of a singles player and only won a mixed doubles major because her pal John McEnroe, the greatest doubles player in history, was willing team up with her mediocre self. As paypack, Gorilla has publically defended Mac when he shoved over a large CBS camera onto a cameraman, smashed flowers, threw rackets, cursed out linesmen, hosted the worst talk show in history, etc. Yet she has the nerve to criticize HH.

HH has won multiple grand slam singles titles, so what right does Mary Gorilla have in questioning HH's understanding of what it means to be a champion?
Was she waiting for HH to throw up on the court or injure herself in other ways? I bet in her prime, Carillo would have gotten beat 6-0, 6-0, by an ailing HH.

Oh, even though I was pulling for HH, I though Amélie Mauresmo was really classy last night. She never acted as if she was cheated out of any glory, but rather said she hoped HH would get better. While HH was weeping on the sideline after the match, Mauresmo went over and sat down near HH and spoke with her and consoled her. How often do you see that? I can't say I have ever been a Mauresmo fan, but I am now. She is truly a class act and won a long overdue major championship.

SoonerInKCMO
1/28/2006, 11:16 AM
You watch tennis?

Flagstaffsooner
1/28/2006, 11:26 AM
You watch tennis?You beat me to it.:rolleyes:

VeeJay
1/28/2006, 11:42 AM
Is Amélie Mauresmo the one with the large set of knockers, or is she the big muscular looking girl?

Sometimes I feel remiss in my knowledge of the game.

chriscappel
1/28/2006, 11:58 AM
I love tennis!!!

Big Red Ron
1/28/2006, 12:00 PM
Tennis is like boxing to me. One on one, tough sport, I enjoy both.

lexsooner
1/28/2006, 12:14 PM
Is Amélie Mauresmo the one with the large set of knockers, or is she the big muscular looking girl?

Sometimes I feel remiss in my knowledge of the game.

She's the muscular, tanned, French woman, admitted lesbian, but still somewhat attractive and definitely a class act after the match last night.

jk the sooner fan
1/28/2006, 12:18 PM
somewhat attractive?

ppfftt......she's the biggest butch on the tour

Flagstaffsooner
1/28/2006, 12:19 PM
I love tennis!!!
I love tennis!!! (http://www.habanainn.com/)

lexsooner
1/28/2006, 12:23 PM
somewhat attractive?

ppfftt......she's the biggest butch on the tour

All in the eyes of the beholder. Frankly, I always thought Mary Carillo was a lot more masculine, but that's all irrelevant. I just don't care for the arm-chair quarterbacking comments about a champion like HH from a retired nothing of a player (Carillo).

jk the sooner fan
1/28/2006, 12:26 PM
how do you get thru watching any sports then? you see those sort of comments in any sport you watch

they're called "analysts", and are paid to speak their opinions........they arent required to have won anything

dude, its a tennis match, dont lose sleep over any part of it

jk the sooner fan
1/28/2006, 12:29 PM
she's got a mans face....at least thats the perspective from this "beholder"

lexsooner
1/28/2006, 12:33 PM
how do you get thru watching any sports then? you see those sort of comments in any sport you watch

they're called "analysts", and are paid to speak their opinions........they arent required to have won anything

You're right, and I don't ordinarily get annoyed. However, this one struck a particular chord because it came from one of McEnroe's lackey apologists who sucked in her playing career, and she was bashing one of my favorite players who is noted for her toughness and drive and IS actually a champion of several grand slam championships. I don't care so much that Carillo criticized HH's decision to quit, so much as her comments that HH "does not know what it means to be a champion." Coming from Carillo, I found that annoying.

lexsooner
1/28/2006, 12:36 PM

Uh, JK, have you ever wandered onto the SF football board? If you want to see hypersensitivity over analysts' comments, look at some of our fellow OU fans' posts during foobow season. My comments ain't nuthin compared to how our brethren react to slights or even perceived slights from announcers.

jk the sooner fan
1/28/2006, 01:28 PM
oh i know, i've never understood why we care so much what ESPN thinks about our football program......as if their validation somehow makes it all better

SoonerInKCMO
1/28/2006, 01:52 PM
she's got a mans face....at least thats the perspective from this "beholder"

Mmm-mmmmmm... I likes me a woman with a strong jaw! :texan:

apusooner
1/28/2006, 03:53 PM
I could almost guarantee she could crush a man's skull with those thighs.

Ardmore_Sooner
1/28/2006, 04:21 PM
She looks like the Disney version of Tarzan.

KC//CRIMSON
1/28/2006, 04:34 PM
tell me you wouldn't hit that, jk....;)

tulsaoilerfan
1/29/2006, 10:43 PM
Damn, now that's a ghetto booty for sure!!!

Big Red Ron
1/30/2006, 01:43 AM
Mmm-mmmmmm... I likes me a woman with a strong jaw! :texan: :D

OhU1
1/30/2006, 07:07 AM
[QUOTE=KC//CRIMSON]tell me you wouldn't hit that, jk....;)

Who's that? Serena Williams?

OhU1
1/30/2006, 07:16 AM
Patrick McEnroe had a problem with Henin's withdrawal. He said she only had to make it through 3 more games and she could have found a way to do that if she wanted to. It seemed like a Roberto Duran "no mas" moment to me as well. Has anyone ever withdrawn during a grand slam final before?

McEnroe also noted that Hennin was selfish and only thinking about herself. In her press conference it was all "me me me". When asked about Mauresmo Hennin shifted the focus back to herself.

Hennin is a tough player, no doubt. Maybe she just doesn't know how to lose with grace. Ask yourself this, were Hennin up 6-1, 2-0 do you have any doubt she would find a way to keep playing? If so she had an obligation to finish the match.

picasso
1/30/2006, 09:38 AM
sorry but anyone who defends Johnny Mac goes a notch down in my book. Aside from needing his arse kicked back in the day for being a crybaby on the court, he also physically and verbally abused his wife.

Ike
1/30/2006, 09:53 AM
Patrick McEnroe had a problem with Henin's withdrawal. He said she only had to make it through 3 more games and she could have found a way to do that if she wanted to. It seemed like a Roberto Duran "no mas" moment to me as well. Has anyone ever withdrawn during a grand slam final before?

McEnroe also noted that Hennin was selfish and only thinking about herself. In her press conference it was all "me me me". When asked about Mauresmo Hennin shifted the focus back to herself.

Hennin is a tough player, no doubt. Maybe she just doesn't know how to lose with grace. Ask yourself this, were Hennin up 6-1, 2-0 do you have any doubt she would find a way to keep playing? If so she had an obligation to finish the match.

I will say this....some anti-inflamatories (like aleve) can really screw with your stomach if you either take them without eating something, take too many, or if you already have a stomach condition...it doesn't feel good at all.

JohnnyMack
1/30/2006, 10:19 AM
sorry but anyone who defends Johnny Mac goes a notch down in my book.

:mad: post reported. :mad: