PDA

View Full Version : Fair-Well OU-Texas soon to be one of Dallas' exes

MamaMia
1/27/2006, 08:21 PM
Fair-Well
OU-Texas soon to be one of Dallas' exes
By Richie Whitt

More than a few of us think Texas and OU should play in Dallas because of the Cotton Bowl, not in spite of it.

Extend your pointer and pinkie for "Hook 'em Horns." Turn it upside down for "Boomer Sooner."

Retract those two and proudly display your middle finger for a reminder to snobby, greedy officials from both Texas and Oklahoma that "Playing in the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair of Texas is a privilege, not a right. Bitches."

Last Saturday's UT 45, OU 12 was the 75th game at the deliciously decrepit Cotton Bowl. Because the short-sighted schools are so blindly committed to style over substance and dollars over sense, next year's meeting will be the next-to-last in Dallas.

Red River Shootout, meet Lame Duck Standoff.

Texas-OU can opt out of its contract with the Cotton Bowl after 2007 and will do so unless the city of Dallas cowers to ultimatums for more seats, more money and more more. Dallas is prepared to spend $50 million for a face-lift on its antique, but not without a 10-year commitment from the schools to keeping playing smack dab in the middle of the Fair on the second Saturday in October.

Too little, too late. The spoiled brats are about to take their ball and go home-and-home.

UT Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds: "[A long-term commitment] is one thing we're not going to do. Their decision on the stadium can't be dependent on us. We'll make our own determination."

OU President David Boren: "We have given Dallas every opportunity, and I think Dallas has really missed the boat."

Allow me to grab the microphone from Mayor Laura Miller and address these bozos accordingly:

"%#@*& You!"

In case you've forgotten, it was our Fair that nurtured your rivalry, not vice versa. In the long run, you'll need us more than we'll need you. And just in case you're trying a Texas Hold 'Em bluff, we aren't afraid to fold. Ain't that right Cowboys and SMU and Burn and Texxas Jam? (P.S. We miss you!)

"I just can't envision Texas-OU being played anywhere except Dallas," said Miller, who views losing the game as an unpardonable sin after allowing the Cowboys to escape to Arlington last year. "It's a magical combination you couldn't re-create anywhere else."

Just 18 months ago, UT and OU agreed.

Early in 2004 Dallas sweetened its annual invitation to the teams with $125,000 in travel expenses and $500,000 in stadium improvements.

Said Dodds at the time, "I like the game in Dallas. It's where it belongs." (Using the schools' current what-have-you-done-for-me-lately philosophy, the Cotton Bowl should've actively pursued a more attractive opponent for OU when Texas sucked five straight years.)

But before the ink dried on that deal, officials from both schools were scribbling a bigger, better wish list. The eyes of Texas are now blurred by dollar signs.

"I'm confident they'll stay if we make the necessary improvements," Miller said during a panel discussion on the game's future last week. "They want more seats, some new paint and a jazzy scoreboard. We invest $25 to $50 million, and we'll make the Cotton Bowl the premier place to play college football in Texas."

But even if the schools sign a long-term contract, Dallas has no clue how to pay for the improvements. A bond to voters as early as next spring? Expensive naming rights that would cheapen the place from "Cotton Bowl" to "Southwest Airlines Stadium"? Pass the hat among city leaders who firmly rejected spending $425 million to build the Cowboys a new stadium in Fair Park?

Too many hurdles in building. Too much humiliation in begging.

Besides, more than a few of us think Texas and Oklahoma should play in Dallas because of the Cotton Bowl, not in spite of it.

At 75, the venerable venue is refreshingly old school. No luxury suites, retractable roofs or hi-def plasmas. And how's this for a concept: Fans come to experience a football game, not to tour a state-of-the-art park with all the intensity of the Middleburg Mall. Sure, the Gate 1 elevator is slower than Dr. Phil's caay...dunce, and from the top of Section 5 your view is obstructed by the upper deck overhang. The ambience is of exposed wires, and that wafting bouquet is soiled concrete.

But walk around the joint before Texas-OU and feel more museum than stadium. Tom Landry coached the first Cowboys game here in '60. Sinatra, Elvis and Jim Brown all played here. It's where Brian Bosworth spit, Bevo **** and fans are always split.

"It's not the most comfortable stadium, but that's part of the allure," says long-time Texas fan Warren Hodge, who paid $800 for two seats on the 40. "You don't go to Texas-OU to be pampered. You hear some people complain about the seats being too hard or too small, but I haven't sat down in 10 years."

Says OU freak David Gaines, "This is like a pilgrimage for us every year. If they go to a home-and-home series, it will eventually feel like just a football game."

In a very unscientific poll fueled by corny dogs and common sense, nine of 10 fans questioned at last Saturday's game and post-game parties voted to keep the game in Dallas. Of course they also see the benefits of a playoff system to determine the national champion, further distinguishing themselves from college administrative honchos.

"It'd be a damn shame if they left Dallas," says ABC's Keith Jackson, eternal voice of college football. "Texas-OU is a rare jewel. It's so unique and wonderful. Where else can you take a day and go to the State Fair, ride a Ferris wheel, grab a few cold refreshments and walk over to watch one of college football's greatest rivalries?"

Not if, but when Texas-OU packs its bags, what will the landscape look like?

Texas-OU? As the post-Van Halen David Lee Roth can attest, more money often equals less value. Games in Austin and Norman will be fiercely competitive, but when neither is ranked in the Top 5 it will merely be the Big 12 Game of the Week.

Dallas? Without the game's $17 million, October revenues will plummet, along with occupants at the drunk tank and road rage incidents over incessant honking.

The Fair? It withstood the departures of the wooden roller coaster, the freak show and, this year, the children's petting zoo, so the prognosis for survival seems realistic. But if Big Tex walks, we're outta here.

And the Cotton Bowl? Well, if Harriet Miers can be a Supreme Court justice without being a judge and 28-year-old Jon Daniels can be the Rangers' GM without one day of experience, then surely two teams without perfect pedigrees can play a game that matures into our latest, greatest rivalry.

Ain't that right, A&M and Tech?

This was originally published last October, but was in the Observer again today.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues/2005-10-13/news/whitt.html

RacerX
1/27/2006, 08:37 PM
Wow. That's not even good enough to get published in the gazette.

yermom
1/27/2006, 08:42 PM
"It'd be a damn shame if they left Dallas," says ABC's Keith Jackson, eternal voice of college football. "Texas-OU is a rare jewel. It's so unique and wonderful. Where else can you take a day and go to the State Fair, ride a Ferris wheel, grab a few cold refreshments and walk over to watch one of college football's greatest rivalries?"

you guys hate this guy, but he's right on here

well, other than screwing up "OU-Texas"

Cam
1/27/2006, 08:43 PM
IMO, OU-UT doesn't have to be at the fair to keep its luster. Leaving Dallas for a home and home would do it.

Big Red Ron
1/27/2006, 10:59 PM
If aggy and aggie decided to replace the OU-UT game at the fair, that would indeed suck.

Soonerus
1/27/2006, 11:38 PM
OU-UT would be a rilvalry no matter where it is played...Dallas has been damn lucky to have it...several hotel people have told me OU/UT is Dallas' biggest weekend of the year....so I say cut the BS Dallas put up or shut up....OU or UT does not need Dallas....

Big Red Ron
1/27/2006, 11:41 PM
OU-UT would be a rilvalry no matter wher it is played...Dallas has been damn lucky to have it...several hotel people have told me OU/UT is Dallas' biggest weekend of the year....so I say cut the BS Dallas put up or shut up....OU or UT does not need Dallas....I agree but why give another two schools the opportunity to play in that venue and make the money. Like the auther said aTm & Aggie would love to play it there.

Soonerus
1/28/2006, 12:31 AM
Nothing would rival OU/UT......

BajaOklahoma
1/28/2006, 03:58 AM
The atmosphere at the Cotton Bowl was/is special due to having a fairly equal number of fans from each team present - it totally changes the feel of the game in a way that you have to experience in person to understand.
IMO, moving to home-and-home will change that wonderful experience.

Twenty years ago, I would have sworn that we would play nebbish every year - a classic rivalry that would never die. There are many posters on here who don't understand the history of that game - heck, the nebbish coach doesn't either.

The Dallas Observer is a joke. Heck, very few residents even know it exists. My biggest concern is that Laura "I don't understand how business works" Miller has waited too long to get this taken care of - which is par for the course in her case.

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/28/2006, 05:03 AM
In case you've forgotten, it was our Fair that nurtured your rivalry, not vice versa.

this is a very dyslexic comment. :mack:

OUthunder
1/28/2006, 09:50 AM
IMO the fair just adds a redneck personna to the two schools around other parts of the country.

jk the sooner fan
1/28/2006, 10:09 AM
My biggest concern is that Laura "I don't understand how business works" Miller has waited too long to get this taken care of - which is par for the course in her case.

isnt that the truth...nobody can screw this up bigger than Laura Miller

....perhaps the fair once played a bigger role than it does today, but what has turned this rivalry into bigger than it ever was, is the creation of the Big 12 South.....before the Big 12, this was just a non conference game........now the winner is often playing for the Big 12 championship, and often even the bigger prize.

THATS what makes this game huge......that and the fans who are turned up the rabid hatred a dozen or so notches.

no folks, you can play this game anywhere and the hatred will still be there....the importance of the outcome will have the same results

find me a stadium big enough to put another 20,000 fans........sell the tickets so that the fans sit the same way they do in the cotton bowl, and you'll have your big game

Okieflyer
1/28/2006, 10:14 AM
This guy has a potty mouth.:(

Oldnslo
1/28/2006, 11:35 AM
One Word:

Arrowhead.

josh09
1/28/2006, 12:39 PM
why dont they just listen to the fans and stop making their own decisions? NO ONE wants to have it home and home.

josh09
1/28/2006, 12:40 PM
we could play where the cowboys play

Flagstaffsooner
1/28/2006, 12:46 PM
If aggy and aggie decided to replace the OU-UT game at the fair, that would indeed suck.We like that idea!
http://www.colantonio.net/photos/sheep.jpg

Octavian
1/28/2006, 01:09 PM
The fans that want a home-and-home have only seen the RRS on tv. If someone has been to the game and doesn't want to keep it at the Fair, they're most likely 300lbs and cant fit in the seats.

snp
1/28/2006, 06:18 PM
One Word:

Arrowhead.

Two words:

Hell No.

snp
1/28/2006, 06:37 PM
Also, Tech gets 50,000 at their stadium. What makes them think they're going to be able to get 40,000 5 hours away? It'd be a major advantage for the super aggies.

sugarlakes
1/28/2006, 07:01 PM
But before the ink dried on that deal, officials from both schools were scribbling a bigger, better wish list. The eyes of Texas are now blurred by dollar signs. :texan: http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues/2005-10-13/news/whitt.html

Isn't this why the Big 8 became the Big 12?

MamaMia
1/28/2006, 08:37 PM
I hope that they fix the place up and we stay there. If all they will have to work with is 50 million, then they better make their dollar stretch.

BajaOklahoma
1/28/2006, 09:05 PM
I hope that they fix the place up and we stay there. If all they will have to work with is 50 million, then they better make their dollar stretch.

They can hire illegals for cheap.... and Lord knows there are plenty of them available.

Doged
1/29/2006, 06:00 AM
The Dallas Observer is a joke. Heck, very few residents even know it exists. My biggest concern is that Laura "I don't understand how business works" Miller has waited too long to get this taken care of - which is par for the course in her case.

Partially true. I'm guessing you don't work downtown. ;) The Observer is a favorite down there, largely because they bash the Dallas Morning News every issue (plus it's free). The Quick disappears by noon every day and the Observer has to restock over the weekend (for those that don't know, it's a weekly).

When this article ran it was "the talk of the town". Since then OU's agreed to work on a deal but the whorns administration isn't saying anything about it from what I've seen. I hope it stays in the Cotton Bowl, myself. I like the tradition of it.

And agreed, Miller really screwed the proverbial pooch on this one.