http://media.putfile.com/Dupree-v-Missouri
http://media.putfile.com/dupreegif

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/27/2006, 11:32 AM
Cool.

Any more Kelly Phelps clips?

NormanPride
1/27/2006, 11:41 AM
The similarities to AD are stunning. At least as far as the ability to dominate the game...

oumartin
1/27/2006, 11:44 AM
Nick, good work. you got lots of free time in high school huh

Desert Sapper
1/27/2006, 11:48 AM
He sure had 'potential'. He could have been the best we ever had in the backfield. He could have been a Heisman winner. He could have been the OU career rushing leader. He could have had a great NFL career. Too bad he didn't do any of those things.

I still remember watching Lucious Selmon (who was an assistant coach at the time) dog him in practice because 'prince Marcus' didn't want to run sprints like everybody else.

What a shame. So much potential gone to waste. I just hope AD doesn't suffer the same fate.

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 11:52 AM
Nick, good work. you got lots of free time in high school huh

It's called copy and paste. Takes no time at all.

MikeInNorman
1/27/2006, 12:20 PM
That's the most predictable offense I have ever seen! I can call every single play, exactly! Even my wife would be able to predict "up the middle to Dupree" every time! It's like I know what's coming, just by formation!

What I can't figure out is: how, in those pre-internet, pre-cellphone times, was Chuck Long able to call the plays from his dorm room at Iowa? :eek:

jk the sooner fan
1/27/2006, 12:20 PM
http://media.putfile.com/Dupree-v-Missouri

Raymond Harrison, please pick up your uniform from inside the turf....paging Raymond Harrison

Sooner in Tampa
1/27/2006, 12:25 PM
It make me sad everytime Dupree's name comes up.

So much talent...so much wasted ****ing talent.

critical_phil
1/27/2006, 12:32 PM
Any more clips of Kelly Phelps returning kicks?

:D

also, i really don't get the AD/marcus comparisons, except that they are/were both men among boys.

AD is an animal.

marcus was a loafer.

CatfishSooner
1/27/2006, 12:50 PM
AD=better.

Desert Sapper
1/27/2006, 12:53 PM
:D

also, i really don't get the AD/marcus comparisons, except that they are/were both men among boys.

AD is an animal.

marcus was a loafer.

Marcus looked a lot like AD in all those video clips. And yes, he was a loafer.

Soonerwake
1/27/2006, 02:52 PM
I agree with the comparisons as it relates to their running styles. Both Dupree and AD seem to love to inflict punishment on defensive players while being able to run away from them when needed. Also, both were not hesistant to try to turn a bad play into something great. Of course, this also tends to lose major yards on occassion. I'll take the risk any day!!

Widescreen
1/27/2006, 03:00 PM
I just hope AD doesn't suffer the same fate.
We would know by now if that was going to happen. AD has character and fortitude, Dupree did not. And that's all the difference in the world.

bringit
1/27/2006, 03:25 PM
marcus > AD

Desert Sapper
1/27/2006, 03:55 PM
We would know by now if that was going to happen. AD has character and fortitude, Dupree did not. And that's all the difference in the world.

I agree fully, and I think it's safe to say that AD hasn't gotten the same big head syndrom (bigger than the team thing) that Marcus did. I don't think he ever will.

Desert Sapper
1/27/2006, 04:04 PM
marcus > AD

Actually, I think they are about the same size. Right around 6'2" 220.:rolleyes:

NormanPride
1/27/2006, 04:09 PM
AD ran a 4.37 at 227 lbs recently, so yeah.

And I'm not comparing them off the field at all. Polar opposites. However, on the field they look eerily similar. The way they run over people, the way they make cuts, the kind of upright running... You can even tell when they break free by the way they hit the top gear.

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 05:15 PM
Marcus was about 230 or 240 not 220.

ouradu
1/27/2006, 05:27 PM
dupree=clarrett

mikeb
1/27/2006, 05:36 PM
wow they do have lots of similarities.

bluedogok
1/27/2006, 05:39 PM
dupree=clarrett
Not exactly, Marcus was lazy and had been treated like a primadonna in high school, never made to practice or work out. Seemed like a nice guy, I talked to him the 3 times he showed up for english class. Clarrett just seems like a stupid moron.

He was incredible to watch, especially the Fiesta Bowl game against ASU, even though he had got fat from his momma's cooking over the holidays he still put up incredible numbers for only playing half the game.

I played golf a few times with Phelps at Lake Hefner after he was out of college. Real nice guy, even though he helped beat my Patriots in 3OT for the 4A championship (I was still in Jr. High at the time). He had a habit of getting knocked out I guess, he was carted off in that playoff game and after that wicked hit on the punt return against Nebraska, anyone have that clip.

Was that Steve Davis doing the color on the TV broadcasts?

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 05:52 PM
Quick reply sucks on this board.

MojoRisen
1/27/2006, 05:55 PM
Don't forget about the 80s though especially early 80s- you could score a 5 on your ACT, and flunk every class and go to college on a football scholly, that is pre prop 48 stuff.

I won't name names, but a certain head coach at the University of Arkansas would pass out a box of steriods in the locker room to the team. early 80s man....

Marcus was a product of what was allowed. Anyhow he made at least 5 million in the USFL and NFL Stints... so I don't feel to bad for him.

Octavian
1/27/2006, 06:13 PM
As a Sooner, AD has already accomplished more than Marcus.

And Dupree doesn't = Clarrett. Clarrett wanted to play...he just kept fukkin up. Switzer was right, Marcus just didn't want to play football as much as the rest of the world wanted him to. In that respect, a better Clarrett comparison (at least to a Sooner) would be King Charles VI. Richard Dumas comes to mind also...different sport but same story.

Its hard to compare Dupree to anyone else...It would be like God asking you if you wanted all the gifts He could bestow and you replying, "No thanks, its just not what I want." Sort of a unique category.

Its certainly unfortunate from an OU fan's perspective but we ended up doing pretty well after Marcus went back to Philly, Miss. So be it.

OUGreg723
1/27/2006, 06:29 PM
marcus > AD

Huh??? you can't be serious....

AD is a much better player, teammate, and person than Dupree ever was.

bluedogok
1/27/2006, 06:46 PM
As much as I liked Marcus, I do agree that AD is already a better player than Marcus was and has his priorities right at a younger age. Marcus waited until he was about 30 to start thinking about growing up.

snp
1/27/2006, 07:35 PM
AD ran a 4.37 at 227 lbs recently, so yeah.

Where'd you see this at?

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 07:39 PM
It's actually 217

It was reported that Adrian Peterson ran a 4.32 - however it was actually a 4.37! (Darn). Also, AD weighs 217, not 227. AD also had a vertical of 38" and broad jumped 10'9".
http://mb22.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm30.showMessage?topicID=85.topic

RiddlerOK
1/27/2006, 08:13 PM
If I remember correctly, Marcus was reported as 6'3" 240 lbs. in most TV-games back in 1982.

RacerX
1/27/2006, 08:28 PM
quitter

BlackwellSooner
1/27/2006, 10:00 PM
My recollections of watching Marcus and AD are that while both had/have an extra gear when they break into the open, I really believe that Dupree was even faster.... I don't ever remember seeing a defensive back run Dupree down once he got into the open - he just seemed to run as fast as he needed to. In one of the clips posted above ( I think Mizzou) I was at the game and I remember that the fastest DB for Mizzou had an angle on one of Dupree's long runs, should have cut him off at around the 20 or 15, but Marcus just flat outran him! I have seen AD get caught (not too often, though) in the open field, so I have to give the edge to Marcus in this respect. Not much, though.

As far as YAC, however, IMO, there was no comparison. AD is a much more punishing runner, and rarely gets stuffed, especially on an arm-tackle.... Marcus, on the other hand, frequently went down, and didn't have to have a really solid hit to put him down. Big edge: AD

In terms of character, no comparison.... AD all the way.

Marcus could have been the greatest, IMHO. THE GREATEST. Consider: he was (most of the time) 235 to 245 pounds, and he still ran like a 195 pound speedster. Had he had the mental toughness to do what it took to get into and keep himself in shape (around 220-225), he would've been all-world, no one could have touched him, not Herschel, not Sims, not even AD (although AD still has at least one more year).

Marcus Dupree: What a waste.... sad.

Crimson Kid
1/27/2006, 11:35 PM
thier both stand up type runners, and good at shedding tackels.

Dio
1/28/2006, 01:26 PM
That '82 Mizzou game was the first OU game I ever got to see in person.

SOONER44EVER
1/28/2006, 02:19 PM
IMO Dupree had more talent than AD. He was definitely bigger and just as fast if not faster than AD. I remember him outrunning DBs like they were standing still. Comparing AD to Clarett is just ridiculous. Clarett is a criminal and a thug. Marcus just didn't have the work ethic it took to play major college ball. Part of the reason for this is that he never had to practice in high school. Some people can't handle the spotlight no matter how talented they are. What happened to Dupree is nothing but sad.

MojoRisen
1/28/2006, 02:23 PM
Dupree blew his knee out- more than once, he still got a 1.1 million dollar sign on bonus for the NO USFL team and another million in his first year.

I am pretty sure he played 2 years for the rams, 3-4 years in the NFL for a running back is about the avg. IF he made 4-5 million in his career- that is more than most people make in a lifetime of big money salaries. How could you really feel that bad for him? I wished he had a better career at OU but injury is enevitable if you aren't in great shape.

NickZeppelin
1/28/2006, 02:43 PM
There's some idiot negging me in this thread because they claim I stole it from Insiders.
They were both posted on this board and Insiders
Mine was posted here 1/27/2006, 11:30 AM
Insiders was posted 1/27/06 11:40:51 am

I just don't like being negged for stealing from Insiders when I didn't. I stole this from JimTrabers site when it was posted there yesterday morning.:D

Okay back to the subject.
Dupree was a fullback with the Rams I believe. This was a guy that if he had his stuff together and basically wasn't an immature kid he would probably be in the pro football hall of fame right now and we may have ended up talking about him the same we talked about Barry Sanders or Jim Brown or Walter Peyton. He really had a chance to be at that level. Fact is he blew it. Probably still regrets it today.

MojoRisen
1/28/2006, 02:57 PM
Marcus- runs an Arena Football Team of some sort, He played Tailback for the Rams for 2 years - around 800K a year with incentives. Walter Payton helped him back in shape 3-4 years after a devastating Knee injury in the USFL, career ending knee injury at the time, remember you blow your knee in the 80s and you can expect to be out 2 years and have a scar about 2 feet long.

Marcus- says he would have done it any other way- and is pretty content with his career...

We all believe and know he could have been a great, but like someone said- that doesn't mean that you want to be a great. And there is nothing you can do about injury- Ask Billy Sims