PDA

View Full Version : I don't follow WBB closely enough on a national-scale to know the answer to this...

TopDawg
1/27/2006, 11:07 AM
but is it out of the question that Courtney Paris could be the National POY this year?

What's her main competition?

Has a freshman ever won it?

NormanPride
1/27/2006, 11:28 AM
If we keep winning, yeah. If not, I imagine it's like the heisman.

ouflak
1/27/2006, 03:24 PM
I'm fairly certain that she won't win this as a freshman, but there may be precedent. Have to look....

Ruuuuuufus
1/27/2006, 07:21 PM
She will be a finalist for many of the awards, however unfortunately it's probably not even a foregone conclusion that she will be Freshman of the Year because of all the hype around Candace Parker.

That being said, her chief competition for POY will probably be Seimone Augustus. Last year she was the overwhelming choice as POY by the AP and was the only unanimous preseason All-American choice this year. Other than that you'd have to give a look at Monique Currie (best player on the best team right now.)

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 07:33 PM
If Candace Parker is freshman of the year it's a joke. First off she's a redshirt freshman and she averages 15.6 points per game and 8.3 rebounds. Courtney has averaged 21.9 points a game and 14.9 rebounds a game. And OU's schedule has been one of the toughest in women's basketball.

Sooner24
1/27/2006, 09:53 PM
If Candace Parker is freshman of the year it's a joke. First off she's a redshirt freshman and she averages 15.6 points per game and 8.3 rebounds. Courtney has averaged 21.9 points a game and 14.9 rebounds a game. And OU's schedule has been one of the toughest in women's basketball.

It's not like Tennessee has played all cupcakes.

(9) Michigan St
(10) Maryland
(16) Texas
at (12) Stanford
at (22) Temple
at (12) Notre Dame
(7) Connecticut
(13) Georgia
at (19) Vanderbilt
at (2) Duke
(4) LSU
(22) Vanderbilt
at (15) Georgia
(24) Florida

NormanPride
1/27/2006, 11:36 PM
freshman of the year - YES!
player of the year - ...probably not, but there's always the next three years, kind of like AD's heisman chances.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/28/2006, 12:57 AM
Candace Parker has gotten more hype because of two factors:
1. She had that dunk at the McDonald's All-Star Game slam dunk competition, coincidentally held in the OKC area.
2. She plays for Tennessee, the gold standard of women's college hoops.
Also, I think what may hurt Courtney some is that some people still perceive OU as a Johnny-come-lately program. Yes, we had the run to the national title game in 2002 but haven't been in the national spotlight since. In addition, we have to beat the likes of a Tennessee or UConn for people to really stand up and take notice.

NickZeppelin
1/28/2006, 01:08 AM
It's not like Tennessee has played all cupcakes.

(9) Michigan St
(10) Maryland
(16) Texas
at (12) Stanford
at (22) Temple
at (12) Notre Dame
(7) Connecticut
(13) Georgia
at (19) Vanderbilt
at (2) Duke
(4) LSU
(22) Vanderbilt
at (15) Georgia
(24) Florida

I'm not saying that Tenn is a bad team or has played a bad schedule. Tennessee is a better team then OU is probably even with the 2 recent losses. But OU's played a top 10 schedule and still Courtney is averaging about 20 and 15 and she doesn't have the benefit of a redshirt year that Parker had. The numbers aren't even close.