PDA

View Full Version : I'm definitely calling Bull$hit on this one!

SoonerStormchaser
1/26/2006, 11:31 AM
from collegefootballnews.com

1. Texas 2005 Record: 13-0
Why Texas is the Pre-preseason No. 1: Vince Young is gone so the program will go into the tank, right? Nope. Fine, so Texas is here mostly because there’s absolutely no one else truly worthy of the top spot, but there’s a lot to get excited about from Jamaal Charles and the nation’s best stable of running backs to an experienced and underrated receiving corps to a fantastic defense that should survive the loss of Thorpe Award winner Michael Huff and big-hitting LB Aaron Harris just fine. The offensive line is still loaded with big-time run blockers even after the loss of two Rose Bowl starters.
Why Texas shouldn’t be the Pre-preseason No. 1: Vince Young was the difference. Texas would've needed some luck to find its way to the Rose Bowl without him. It likely would've lost to Ohio State and certainly wouldn’t have beaten USC if there was an upset in Columbus. Young is an irreplaceable talent who took the program to another level, and now it’ll be up to redshirt freshmen Colt McCoy and true freshmen Jevan Snead and Sherrod Harris to try to fill the enormous void. In other words, the nation’s best team is walking into the season with no experience whatsoever at quarterback.
What Texas needs to do to get to the BCS Championship Bowl: Let the rest of the talent shine through. The new quarterback, likely McCoy, can’t carry things the way Young did, but he’ll have a fantastic supporting cast around him. As long as the new starter doesn’t make mistakes, Charles and the ground game should be good enough to get through the Big 12. The defense could be good enough to slow down Ohio State and get the win that’ll pave the way to Arizona.
Realistic, feet-on-the-ground, goal to shoot for: BCS Championship Bowl. Ohio State has a ton of defensive holes that likely won’t be adequately filled by September 9th, and the one true road game before the October 21st trip to Nebraska is at Rice. Unless there’s an epic upset, it’s a four game season playing Ohio State, Oklahoma, at Nebraska and at Texas Tech before the Big 12 title game.
The number one thing to work on is: The passing game. No matter who’s under center, the ground game will roll out of bed and average 250 yards per game. Texas became national title good because Young turned into a fantastic passer. McCoy threw for 116 touchdowns in his high school career, but he doesn’t have to be Peyton Manning. All he has to do is be efficient and keep the chains moving. If that happens, the offense will be just fine.
Biggest offensive loss: QB Vince Young
Biggest defensive loss: LB Aaron Harris

They're about to find out just how big a loss just one person can have on a team.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/26/2006, 11:34 AM
We will see...
They are gonna be way better than most people think. Not #1 better. But completely counting them out would be foolish. In all actuality, aside from the QB position, they will be better at every position next year.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/26/2006, 11:36 AM
The difference between this new guy and Rhett is the fact that the people around him are national champs and there is not a single weakness on the team aside from the QB position. If Bomar had UT's upcoming team at OU this past year he would have kissed some Crystal this month.

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 11:37 AM
We will see...
In all actuality, aside from the QB position, they will be better at every position next year.
Except coaching. Mack will have to start coaching again.

That's good for a loss or two.

In Through The Out Door
1/26/2006, 11:39 AM
Without Young, Mack and Greg have to coach again. Texas in 2006: 8-4 or 9-3.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/26/2006, 11:40 AM
Except coaching. Mack will have to start coaching again.

That's good for a loss or two.
Thats true, Mack Brown can mess up a wet dream.:D
..although he has been winning some pretty big games as of late...but I question whether HE was the one calling any shots. Maybe his obsessive applauding works.

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 11:41 AM
Thats true, Mack Brown can mess up a wet dream.:D
..although he has been winning some pretty big games as of late...but I question whether HE was the one calling any shots. Maybe his obsessive applauding works.
correction.........YOUNG has won big games latley.

Mack was along for the ride.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/26/2006, 11:44 AM
I dont see 4 teams beating them next year. The only people with a legitimate shot on their schedule is tOSU and OU. If they win those two games they will play for the NC again. People say Nebraska..but NU is not a good as most people think.

That National Championship will be decided by 3 Football Games.

1. tOSU vs. Texas (Loser will be eliminated..if tOSU wins. Pencil them in.
2. Oklahoma vs. Texas (If OU wins, they wont lose again, same for UT)
3. USC vs. ND (if ND wins count them in (even though they will lose another game) a one less ND team is a guaranteed BCS Championship participant...bastards..)

What would be Cool....

is if OU beat UT and both teams won out and played for the National Championship making it a all Big XII affair.

westcoast_sooner
1/26/2006, 11:49 AM
Their RBs, OL and receivers should be pretty good. Also, they return a lot of guys on defense as well. But when you take out the VY factor, someone who can literally refuse to lose and carry a team on his back, and put in a kid that has raw talent, but no game experience, then you've lost a lot. Not saying that one of the new guys (McCoy, Snead or Harris) won't come along in time, but to think you can just plug in a new guy that's going to give you the same kind of intangible that you got from VY is just ludicrous.

We all saw how Rhett went from being a train wreck to being pretty good over the course of a single season. But, VY was one of those once-in-a-lifetime kind of players who changes everything.

Overall, I can see them losing to tOSU, us (if we have an OL that can block) and maybe one other game.

mojohornfan
1/26/2006, 12:05 PM
I bet you guys are glad every day isn't like Tuesday. No longhorn Tuesday that is. Just can't get us out of your heads. At least one third of the threads on this board have some mention of the longhorns. Why is that?

Truth is, one that envies, constantly criticizes the one they envy. I prove this by saying that I have'nt seen very many Baylor, A&M, and T-Tech posts similar to the ones about UT. Sure, I know, we are your main rivals...but why is that? Because we are a SIGNIFACANT program that REALLY doesn't deserve MOST of the criticism. I say most because some is deserved AND vice versa with you guys. But to sit and constantly hate, hate, hate everything TEXAS is showing just a little jealousy. Don't get me wrong...I know Oklahoma has a GREAT football program and should be envied by most div. 1 schools. Since I know this, why would I have to sit and criticize the coach, because I could, or the players. You can criticize fans all you want, but not the players and coaches. How many of you have actually been a coach or football player at the college level. Exactly.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/26/2006, 12:12 PM
That's funny you ask. I played College Football.
And TEXAS OU is a rivalry period. Sooners know that Texas does not REALLY suck, just like Longhorns know the Sooners don't REALLY suck.

Look at it like this....the two teamns are RIVALS. Both really good programs located right in the same neck of the woods. If one sucked, they would not even acknowledge eachother. It's all part of being a rival. Bashing the opponent.

Look at the teams respective "so called" rivals. Do you think Sooners REALLY give a damn about OsU? Do you know how RARELY I hear Longhorns mention Texas A&M? Because those programs are irrelevant.

Take the criticism like a man and enjoy the rivalry. when it's time to get serious, fans of both teams acknowledge greatness. This website bashed Vince Young all year...and when he came through and won a NC he was given his due respect by most die hard Sooners on here. Same goes for Bomar..he will be bashed by Horns, but when he makes a great accomplishment, he will receive his due respect. Good programs and fans respect Championships. Regardless of who you are, when you say CHAMPION after your name, it will be respected. Any other times prior then...

YOU SUCK.

Herr Scholz
1/26/2006, 12:19 PM
Overall, I can see them losing to tOSU...
We could definitely lose 2 or 3 next season. However, I just don't understand why most people I've seen are saying tOSU is going to come to Austin (where we have an audacious record) and win. They lost more than us. 9 starters off of their D (including all 3 LBs), 2 best OL, best WR. Their kicker. Austin heat in September will affect them more than they want to admit also I think. I'm more concerned about the OU game quite honestly.

azzbakwardz
1/26/2006, 12:28 PM
..although he has been winning some pretty big games as of late...but I question whether HE was the one calling any shots.

Lets see here.....call zone read and let VY go.....yep, thats coaching all right...call a sort of pass play and let VY run.....coaching.....sure it is if your a whorn fan, MB is a great coach now if your a whorn fan.
He wont be able to decide who his QB is all over again, we'll get to watch the crissy major fiasco all over again as he leads his team to division yet again!

Whorns lucky to win 8

azzbakwardz
1/26/2006, 12:31 PM
**agrees with roughrider on the quote above, obsessive cheering lol**

yermom
1/26/2006, 12:35 PM
Mack and Greg Davis aren't the ones tucking in the ball and running 80 yards on a broken pass play

unless the new QB can do **** like that, you guys are in trouble, the hands off thing worked with Vince, but he was special

oh god, i feel dirty. at least it's comforting that he's gone :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/26/2006, 12:43 PM
OK, enough already. I count too many whorns in this thread. What happened to whorns on tues.ONLY? How about it?

Desert Sapper
1/26/2006, 12:43 PM
I think Texas beats tOSU, getting the hype they need to make us look good when we beat them in Dallas. The funny thing is that we will start higher than Texas. Ohio State will start higher than us (which is just silly considering everything they are losing to the draft), Texas will leapfrog us and we will be the underdogs for RRS. Even when we win, though, we won't be number 1. Mark it down.

mojohornfan
1/26/2006, 12:47 PM
That's funny you ask. I played College Football.
And TEXAS OU is a rivalry period. Sooners know that Texas does not REALLY suck, just like Longhorns know the Sooners don't REALLY suck.

Look at it like this....the two teamns are RIVALS. Both really good programs located right in the same neck of the woods. If one sucked, they would not even acknowledge eachother. It's all part of being a rival. Bashing the opponent.

Look at the teams respective "so called" rivals. Do you think Sooners REALLY give a damn about OsU? Do you know how RARELY I hear Longhorns mention Texas A&M? Because those programs are irrelevant.

Take the criticism like a man and enjoy the rivalry. when it's time to get serious, fans of both teams acknowledge greatness. This website bashed Vince Young all year...and when he came through and won a NC he was given his due respect by most die hard Sooners on here. Same goes for Bomar..he will be bashed by Horns, but when he makes a great accomplishment, he will receive his due respect. Good programs and fans respect Championships. Regardless of who you are, when you say CHAMPION after your name, it will be respected. Any other times prior then...

YOU SUCK.

I agree 100 % except for the "you suck" part. Also, A&M and OSU are in different leagues when it comes to tradition and is a pretty signifacant rivalry...they just suck right now.

You are an exception since you played the game. But when you played, would you have wanted some Joe Schmo crticizing your team when he has never even stepped on a field? I wouldn't.

caphorns
1/26/2006, 01:37 PM
This pick is no worse than the pick of WVU. Maybe 1 of the Florida teams will rise up next year or Alabama will discover the value of an offense. The constants will remain -

- Les Miles will say something stupid and certainly won't coach the most talent-laden squad in the country to a BCS game

- Notre Dame will be consistently ranked higher than they deserve

- The Pac 10 will suck

- The Big Least will suck (please tell me how you can pick a Big Least team to WIN a national championship?)

- The media will claim that the Big XII is weak when the truth is that the Big Ten has been weak at the top for a number of years

- The SEC will cancel itself out

- Half of FSU's team will be questioned by police

- It will remain unsafe for women to appoach anywhere near 300 ft of the player's dorm at CU

- Michigan will blow some stupid game somewhere they should have won

- The Aggies will run out of time to win at least 4 to 5 times (maybe more) and no lists will be eaten

- Mike Leach will inch closer and closer to becoming a real life pirate (my bet is on public siting with a scarf on or maybe a patch or wooden leg)

- Mangino will continue to grow

- Callihan will embarass himself in a way even aggies can't imagine

- I still won't be able to watch a full Boise State home game without having to avert my eyes for a good 30 minutes to keep from going crosseyed

- Jimmy Johnson's hair will not move all year

- ESPN will remain biased no matter what they say

- Lou Holtz will still be too slobbery to understand

- There will be many posts about Bob Stoops and the NFL

- Baylor will take some overrated Big 12 South team to OT

- No Longhorn Tuesday's will officially be renamed We Have Other Rivals Too Really We Do Tuesday

- My spek will get more and more orange :)

yermom
1/26/2006, 01:47 PM
have fun in OT with Baylor :D

Herr Scholz
1/26/2006, 02:39 PM
Lets see here.....call zone read and let VY go.....yep, thats coaching all right...call a sort of pass play and let VY run.....
Please explain how VY threw for 3K yards this season and only ran for 1K yards if all we were doing is the zone read and letting him run around the field. The fact is GD coached him up in the film room. That's where his improvement came from. This season Vince knew where to go with the ball every single time. Yes, that's coaching. Sorry to burst your bubble. In fact, many Horn fans were upset that Young was staying in the pocket TOO long in many games.

Whorns lucky to win 8
Mack has won 9 or more games each of the past 10 seasons. He's won 10 or more 7 of those years. We won before Vince, we'll win after him. We weren't supposed to be able to replace Cedric Benson or Derrick Johnson this season either, remember?

SoonerStormchaser
1/26/2006, 02:49 PM
Wasn't this the same Greg Davis that people wanted to HANG for each of the previous five seasons? Get a grip Whorns! Davis wasn't the reason you won this year! Watch what happens next year when you lose...you think our calling for Long's head was loud...it should reach epic volumes down in Austin.

caphorns
1/26/2006, 02:58 PM
Wasn't this the same Greg Davis that people wanted to HANG for each of the previous five seasons? Get a grip Whorns! Davis wasn't the reason you won this year! Watch what happens next year when you lose...you think our calling for Long's head was loud...it should reach epic volumes down in Austin.

Texas won't need a scapegoat for awhile. Maybe we'll find a way to get Long on staff by then so we can reuse that one.

Herr Scholz
1/26/2006, 02:59 PM
Davis wasn't the reason you won this year!
I respectfully disagree. VY had the same physical skills in 2004 that he did this season. The difference was upstairs, understanding defenses better (that and being on the same page with the young WRs). This came from constant 6:00 AM film sessions with Greg Davis. GD also changed our offense from a pass happy one (Simms) to a run oriented one to fit his talent. The one with VY used the run to set up the pass. In addition, we won a lot more games with the pass this year than the other way around.

I understand why you want to attribute our title this year solely to the guy who's leaving, but GD trained him, developed the offense around him and put him in the position to be successful. I would submit to you that it was Chris Simms who made GD look bad, not the other way around. GD developed Applewhite quite nicely. Nobody ever mentions that.

Sooner_Havok
1/26/2006, 03:04 PM
While I may not agree with the reasons listed why Texas should be pre-season #1 next year, I do agree that they should be number 1. As much as it pains me to say it, they won, they are the National Champs. And until they loose, they deserve to be #1. They are #1 until they loose, at which time they should drop.

shavedmarmoset
1/26/2006, 03:06 PM
Truth is, one that envies, constantly criticizes the one they envy.

Right, I envy a team with only a fraction of the tradition Oklahoma has. I just hate Texas. It's in my blood. Many of the fans are d-bags anyway.

And now I have perspective on how you guys felt. I now know what you felt during the 2000 season...and the 1985 season, and 1975, 74, 56, 55, and 50.

If Texas gets a NC once every 35 years, that's fine with me because in between this NC and the last NC that you guys won, OU has won four.

Envy indeed.

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 03:42 PM
Texas will still be very good no doubt about that. They just won't be the same team. Offensively there is no change in recievers or running backs. However, the OL won't be as good and the number one concern which we all know is the QB position. NONE of the backups have EVER taken a snap on the field before. mccoy and snead will fight for that spot. Defensively, you guys won't be as good either. I mean yeah you lost wright, huff, c. griffin, dibbles, and harris but you guys won't sink under because you guys rotate a lot(I can't believe I am saying all of this but I'm not being biased at all). I'd say another big concern along with VY's departure is offensive gameplan and how mack will hande it. Overrall I think you guys rank #9 to #12 for preseason

Herr Scholz
1/26/2006, 03:58 PM
Texas will still be very good no doubt about that. They just won't be the same team. Offensively there is no change in recievers or running backs. However, the OL won't be as good and the number one concern which we all know is the QB position. NONE of the backups have EVER taken a snap on the field before. mccoy and snead will fight for that spot. Defensively, you guys won't be as good either. I mean yeah you lost wright, huff, c. griffin, dibbles, and harris but you guys won't sink under because you guys rotate a lot(I can't believe I am saying all of this but I'm not being biased at all). I'd say another big concern along with VY's departure is offensive gameplan and how mack will hande it. Overrall I think you guys rank #9 to #12 for preseason
That's fair. Our OL will still be stout. Tony Hills is replacing Jonathan Scott at LT. He's a future 1st rounder. Like you said, we rotate a lot. The D line will still be stout. We replace one DT with Roy Miller or Derek Lokey, a couple of blue chips who played this year. LBs are deeper.

QB is our concern.

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 04:03 PM
our two teams will be a really good matcup next year.

47straight
1/26/2006, 04:11 PM
I agree with Coach Stoops that you vote the defending national champ #1 until they lose a game. I hate Texas, but I believe in that principle. I'd put them at #1 to start the season.

That said, I really don't think they repeat.

The biggest reason for their success this year wasn't Greggy Robinson "coaching up" Uncle Rico. The difference this year was phenomenal OL play. Radio McScrambles had all.freaking.day to throw the ball. Just look at the time he had, and how wide open those receivers were. His ability to scramble/takeoff for 80 yards helped considerably, but he had that same ability the previous 2 years.

The whorns lose 2 players (correct me if I am wrong) off the OL. If their replacements step up well, the whorns would still be the favorite to win the Big 12.

Herr Scholz
1/26/2006, 04:20 PM
The whorns lose 2 players (correct me if I am wrong) off the OL. If their replacements step up well, the whorns would still be the favorite to win the Big 12.
That's right. We get back our LG Studdard, C Sendlein and RT Blalock (who could've easily gone). Replace LT Scott with Tony Hills and the replacement for RG Will Allen is up in the air. Might move Sendlein from C to RG and play Dallas Griffin at C. The line will be very talented but Scott and Allen were fantastic (Scott's been labeled the best OT at the Senior Bowl this week despite Eric Winston from Miami and some other big names being there). Plus, the new line will need to gel. If Blalock had left, the transition would've been a lot harder.

The winner of the Big XII is the winner of our game. Could go either way.

TJKDone
1/26/2006, 06:55 PM
I dont see 4 teams beating them next year. The only people with a legitimate shot on their schedule is tOSU and OU. If they win those two games they will play for the NC again. People say Nebraska..but NU is not a good as most people think.

That National Championship will be decided by 3 Football Games.

1. tOSU vs. Texas (Loser will be eliminated..if tOSU wins. Pencil them in.
2. Oklahoma vs. Texas (If OU wins, they wont lose again, same for UT)
3. USC vs. ND (if ND wins count them in (even though they will lose another game) a one less ND team is a guaranteed BCS Championship participant...bastards..)

What would be Cool....

is if OU beat UT and both teams won out and played for the National Championship making it a all Big XII affair.

You are over rating both UT and OU IMO. Neither of us are good enough to avoid a "not supposed to" loss. That is why it is more difficult these days. W/13 games on the schedule the odds are soooooooo much longer for going undefeated than when it was 11 or even 12.

Neither will be close to the NC in '06. I think playing in a BCS bowl for either would represent overachievement.

Hook'em

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 06:58 PM
However, I just don't understand why most people I've seen are saying tOSU is going to come to Austin (where we have an audacious record) and win.

Seriously, it's not like they're Arkansas. :cool:

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 07:05 PM
You are over rating both UT and OU IMO. Neither of us are good enough to avoid a "not supposed to" loss. That is why it is more difficult these days. W/13 games on the schedule the odds are soooooooo much longer for going undefeated than when it was 11 or even 12.

Neither will be close to the NC in '06. I think playing in a BCS bowl for either would represent overachievement.

Hook'em
You're being just a TAD bit biased buddy. We have a better shot at a REALLY good BCS now I agree that the chances are slim but the sooners can make it, unfortunately, so can the whorns.

Scotty
1/26/2006, 07:07 PM
However, I just don't understand why most people I've seen are saying tOSU is going to come to Austin (where we have an audacious record) and win.

Make it a night game and theres some irony for ya right there.

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 07:21 PM
we are gonna have a REALLYYY solid D line. Birdine, Ah You, Williams, and Thibs..those are just the defensive ends. We also have pendleton(that kid is gonna be gooooood), granger, simmons, coleman, and bennet as DTs. LBs...well its linebacker U in the big 12. Someone will replace ingram easily. I think lofton will, because I REALLY like him. He seems to be a good tackler. Either him, reynolds or patterson(if he qualifies). DBs. We are LOADED with safeties that are going to get better. CBs...Wolfe is getting better, putting reggie smith there was a good move and I think he will do well. If marcus walker can stay healthy, we'll have a good CB rotation. Offensively, we are stacked with receivers, stacked with runningbacks and good tight end. If bomar and the OL both get better, we dominate on offense. Defensively, it will be all how the DBs do. No one will be able to run through us though. Even with Dusty gone we will probably get even better. If all goes well, we will dominate the big 12:D

TJKDone
1/26/2006, 07:23 PM
You're being just a TAD bit biased buddy. We have a better shot at a REALLY good BCS now I agree that the chances are slim but the sooners can make it, unfortunately, so can the whorns.

I don't think that it is biased. You guys have pretty strong issues on the OL, WR and DB, and that is in the starting ranks. You have an injury even the nagging kind to either Rhett or AP and you are struggling maybee worse than you did this year. Easily the biggest gaffe in Stoop's stellar career has been his sholarship management in the recent classes. You guys lost HALF of one of those classes to attrition and that amounts to a self imposed probation. You aren't deep and unless you are real lucky, that catches up with you.

For us we don't have the general depth concerns that you do, but we lose a once in a lifetime leader/player in VY. No way we replace him next year even if we end up with an AA at the position out of our current group. You just don't get a VY or a Matt L every year.

Those are my reasons for believing that neither OU or UT are strong contenders for BCS and I think they are credible. I hope we knock the crap out of everyone on our schedule especially you guys. I just don't see it happening.

Hook'em

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 07:33 PM
I don't think that it is biased. You guys have pretty strong issues on the OL, WR and DB, and that is in the starting ranks. You have an injury even the nagging kind to either Rhett or AP and you are struggling maybee worse than you did this year. Easily the biggest gaffe in Stoop's stellar career has been his sholarship management in the recent classes. You guys lost HALF of one of those classes to attrition and that amounts to a self imposed probation. You aren't deep and unless you are real lucky, that catches up with you.

For us we don't have the general depth concerns that you do, but we lose a once in a lifetime leader/player in VY. No way we replace him next year even if we end up with an AA at the position out of our current group. You just don't get a VY or a Matt L every year.

Those are my reasons for believing that neither OU or UT are strong contenders for BCS and I think they are credible. I hope we knock the crap out of everyone on our schedule especially you guys. I just don't see it happening.

Hook'em
Turn the biased tone down a notch. HALF? Yeah we lost a lot of OL i admitt that and JD. That is about it though. Yeah dusty was good but our DL is going to be better. Don't say that crap unless you have the facts and the info like I do. You have no clue who else is comin up to play. Honestly, we have a better chance of knocking the crap out of you then you guys knockin the crap out of us(little bit biased, I know but it's going to be a great match)and their is no way in hell that you guys knock out ohio state. Yeah they lost the LB elite but their offense is a juggernaut. They did not lose as nearly as many guys as you guys did. Their offense got even better. Defensivly a little bit worse where as UT, offensively got a little bit worse, and so did the defense.

SoonerBBall
1/26/2006, 07:39 PM

Hook'em

The part of you that thinks we are in trouble at WR is dead wrong.

I also love how Texas watched us lose a Heisman winning QB, saw the problems we had afterwards, and still think that they are going to be just fine.

tennsooner
1/26/2006, 07:40 PM
While I may not agree with the reasons listed why Texas should be pre-season #1 next year, I do agree that they should be number 1. As much as it pains me to say it, they won, they are the National Champs. And until they loose, they deserve to be #1. They are #1 until they loose, at which time they should drop.You know, I will never understand that line of thinking.What a team does one year has no bearing whatsoever on what it will do the next year. Players leave,coachs leave .It just has no logic to it at all.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 07:41 PM
The part of you that thinks we are in trouble at WR is dead wrong.

I also love how Texas watched us lose a Heisman winning QB, saw the problems we had afterwards, and still think that they are going to be just fine.
Exactly! Man..I can barely hear out of my ears now because my BS alarm kept going off.

TJKDone
1/26/2006, 07:44 PM
Half is a fact you check it out.

OSU lost 9 starters on defense alone, another fact. They lost a number on offense too. We have 15 starters returning. We have a good shot against OSU, though we could lose it because we'll be inexperienced at QB.

Again my point is that it is real hard to win out and get a NC. You guys have won 7 of them so you are a bit delusional concerning your chances generally. Next year neither of us have a chance at the NC and we're on the outside looking in for the BCS.

Hook'em

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 07:45 PM
Half is a fact you check it out.

OSU lost 9 starters on defense alone, another fact. They lost a number on offense too. We have 15 starters returning. We have a good shot against OSU, though we could lose it because we'll be inexperienced at QB.

Again my point is that it is real hard to win out and get a NC. You guys have won 7 of them so you are a bit delusional concerning your chances generally. Next year neither of us have a chance at the NC and we're on the outside looking in for the BCS.

Hook'em
You also have to realize...we have a coach that can coach...and you guys have a coach who CAN'T coach....

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 07:45 PM
Next year neither of us have a chance at the NC and we're on the outside looking in for the BCS.

If Mack Brown can win a championship there's hope for everybody.

:mack:

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 07:49 PM
OH OH OH OH and another thing...notice that travis wilson and jejuan rankins didn't even start in the holiday bowl guess who was starting over them? Freshmen

TJKDone
1/26/2006, 07:55 PM
You also have to realize...we have a coach that can coach...and you guys have a coach who CAN'T coach....

Don't think many outside of Norman would agree with the last part of that statement.

Maybe you guys will be as good as you think. To me it sounds like your team in '06 will be marked as a legend in your own mind.

Hook'em

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 07:59 PM
Don't think many outside of Norman would agree with the last part of that statement.

Maybe you guys will be as good as you think. To me it sounds like your team in '06 will be marked as a legend in your own mind.

Hook'em
Oh I know MANY people outside of Norman who agrees with me on that. I'm not even in norman yet. I'm surrounded by whorn fans and aggie fans. The majority, even the whorn fans say he is not that great of a coach. It's you that thinks that your team is an all time legend in your own mind. Mack even proved that he can't coach the game, himself on TV. If you watched that short clip about VY during the championship game on how mack let VY "take control" of the game.

TJKDone
1/26/2006, 08:05 PM
BA you must whiz maroon. That is all right it is fun to talk with the empassioned and unobjective.

Hook'em

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 08:08 PM
BA you must whiz maroon. That is all right it is fun to talk with the empassioned and unobjective.

Hook'em
I see how you try to talk smack against me...that tells me that you can't defend what I had said previously about Mack not being able to coach;)
you must be on something, because you have no clue what you are talking about

Boomer Sooner

Duke o Brewery
1/26/2006, 08:35 PM
Truth is, one that envies, constantly criticizes the one they envy.

But to sit and constantly hate, hate, hate everything TEXAS is showing just a little jealousy.

I've posted this on other threads, but I'll break it out again for this one.

The Red River Rivalry is first and foremost based on mutual hatred between the average people of the two states. It is the stereotypical loudmouthed texan arrogance, selfishness, and lack of personal honor that fuels the hatred of Sooner fans. And Ut, more than any other TX state college, embodies this overpowering, repulsive superiority complex of texans. All the championships, high rankings and great athletes of the two schools are just the icing on top of the big cake.

From my point of view as a born and raised Oklahoman this is what the rivalry is all about. It's about one humble state chafing under the bloated, baseless arrogance of another and doing it's utmost to stand up to that arrogance and keep it in check through means of one of the most simple, yet mutually appreciated and cherished of traditions: The very best football team we can put together against the best they can muster. The least we can do is beat those people in the sport that our state and their 'whole other country' both revere so much.

Mojo, we don't hate texas because of envy for your noticeably lesser accomplishments on the gridiron. Quite the opposite, we hate you because of who you are as people and as a state. By now, after recieving so much grief from Sooners, I'd have thought you'd have understood this much better, but I guess your smug, typical texas longhorn ego has blinded you to these facts.

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 10:08 PM
Mojo, we don't hate texas because of envy for your noticeably lesser accomplishments on the gridiron. Quite the opposite, we hate you because of who you are as people and as a state. By now, after recieving so much grief from Sooners, I'd have thought you'd have understood this much better, but I guess your smug, typical texas longhorn ego has blinded you to these facts.
I think you make a mistake in assuming that everyone hates the horns for the same reasons.

Duke o Brewery
1/26/2006, 10:54 PM
Fair enough. Since we're all individuals I won't claim to speak for the feelings of every Sooner... just for a substantial percentage of us. ;)

GDC
1/26/2006, 11:11 PM
I'll never understand why some of you continue to post whorn-nip like this on a Sooner board.

Sooner Born & Sooner Bred
1/27/2006, 10:12 AM
My crystal ball is lighting up like crazy reading this thread.. let me see .... rubbing it I see many many things....

1) tOSU kicks Whorns whinny Arse (like they should have last year)
2) OU kicks Whorns whinny Arse (Yes we are starting to see a pattern here)
3) OU Wins another Big 12 Title
4) tOSU Wins Big 10 Title
5) and this one is a bit fuzzy ... OU & the tOSU in the Nat'l Championship.... (Ok this one is my worst fear... lol since I live in Ohio - but my heart lies with the Sooners.... It would be a war zone at my house!

Winner 2006 Nat'l Champs ... .... OU! BOOMER SOONER BABY!:D:P :D :P :D

RooseveltRoughRider
1/27/2006, 11:45 AM

The Red River Rivalry is first and foremost based on mutual hatred between the average people of the two states. It is the stereotypical loudmouthed texan arrogance, selfishness, and lack of personal honor that fuels the hatred of Sooner fans. And Ut, more than any other TX state college, embodies this overpowering, repulsive superiority complex of texans. All the championships, high rankings and great athletes of the two schools are just the icing on top of the big cake.

From my point of view as a born and raised Oklahoman this is what the rivalry is all about. It's about one humble state chafing under the bloated, baseless arrogance of another and doing it's utmost to stand up to that arrogance and keep it in check through means of one of the most simple, yet mutually appreciated and cherished of traditions: The very best football team we can put together against the best they can muster. The least we can do is beat those people in the sport that our state and their 'whole other country' both revere so much.

Your joking right? You hate Texas as a PEOPLE & STATE???

OU would have the football success of Baylor without players from Texas on the roster. That was a dumb statement.

TexasHorns
1/27/2006, 12:09 PM
Funny thread. Texas must be the first team in the history of college football to win a national championship with someone who can't coach. Young's passing efficiency goes from 128.37 to 163.95. His completion percentage goes from 59.2 to 65.2. He throws for 1187 more yards and 14 more touchdowns.

Yet none of this is due to coaching or player development. Young was able to pull all of this off on his own...interesting take. Whatever helps you get to sleep at night, I guess...........

P.S. I don't think we should be #1 either, but your homerisms are going a little bit overboard.

Duke o Brewery
1/27/2006, 02:10 PM
OU would have the football success of Baylor without players from Texas on the roster.

As I said, I and many other Sooners hate the type of smug texan arrogance and poor character that UT stands for. Not every texan is like that, but there are millions who are. Any athletes who choose to leave texas and come get their education from OU apparently don't share that kind of superiority complex. They're welcome to don the Sooners logo and play next to our athletes from Oklahoma and elsewhere IMO.

Did you ever wonder why all those young men cross the river, play for your archrival, and have built a football legacy more impressive than that at your primary state university? Even with all UT's alumni, boosters and history you can't convince some of your own home grown talent that you're a better program than Oklahoma. That says something.

MiccoMacey
1/27/2006, 02:15 PM
How many of you have actually been a coach or football player at the college level. Exactly.

Me.

But not in football. :D

(But we were JUCO National Champs!!). :)

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/27/2006, 02:45 PM
But to sit and constantly hate, hate, hate everything TEXAS is showing just a little jealousy.

dude, we were hating you when we were kicking your @$$ the last 5 years. jealousy has nothing to do with it. :mack:

Desert Sapper
1/27/2006, 03:14 PM
You just don't get a VY or a Matt L every year.

I think USC has a much better chance of replacing Leinfart than you do of replacing VY. Booty should start for them (he's waited long enough), but you don't have a single player with any D-1 experience at QB. The only difference between what you will face this year and what we faced this past year is that you have more of an OL than we did. You will feel the new QB thing and it will suck immensely for you. And we will all laugh at you.:D

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 03:20 PM
Funny thread. Texas must be the first team in the history of college football to win a national championship with someone who can't coach. Young's passing efficiency goes from 128.37 to 163.95. His completion percentage goes from 59.2 to 65.2. He throws for 1187 more yards and 14 more touchdowns.

Yet none of this is due to coaching or player development. Young was able to pull all of this off on his own...interesting take. Whatever helps you get to sleep at night, I guess...........

P.S. I don't think we should be #1 either, but your homerisms are going a little bit overboard.
It took VY to win a championship. He did it on his own. He's gone now. Mack will have to find another freakish athlete like he is....which wont happen in a long time

caphorns
1/27/2006, 03:34 PM
Mack will have to find another freakish athlete like he is....which wont happen in a long time

Because we all know Mack has trouble recruiting freakish athletes :rolleyes:

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 03:40 PM
Because we all know Mack has trouble recruiting freakish athletes :rolleyes:
name me some guys that came from UT that were JUST like VY
:rolleyes:

footballfanatic
1/27/2006, 04:06 PM
from collegefootballnews.com

1. Texas 2005 Record: 13-0
Why Texas is the Pre-preseason No. 1: Vince Young is gone so the program will go into the tank, right? Nope. Fine, so Texas is here mostly because there’s absolutely no one else truly worthy of the top spot, but there’s a lot to get excited about from Jamaal Charles and the nation’s best stable of running backs to an experienced and underrated receiving corps to a fantastic defense that should survive the loss of Thorpe Award winner Michael Huff and big-hitting LB Aaron Harris just fine. The offensive line is still loaded with big-time run blockers even after the loss of two Rose Bowl starters.
Why Texas shouldn’t be the Pre-preseason No. 1: Vince Young was the difference. Texas would've needed some luck to find its way to the Rose Bowl without him. It likely would've lost to Ohio State and certainly wouldn’t have beaten USC if there was an upset in Columbus. Young is an irreplaceable talent who took the program to another level, and now it’ll be up to redshirt freshmen Colt McCoy and true freshmen Jevan Snead and Sherrod Harris to try to fill the enormous void. In other words, the nation’s best team is walking into the season with no experience whatsoever at quarterback.
What Texas needs to do to get to the BCS Championship Bowl: Let the rest of the talent shine through. The new quarterback, likely McCoy, can’t carry things the way Young did, but he’ll have a fantastic supporting cast around him. As long as the new starter doesn’t make mistakes, Charles and the ground game should be good enough to get through the Big 12. The defense could be good enough to slow down Ohio State and get the win that’ll pave the way to Arizona.
Realistic, feet-on-the-ground, goal to shoot for: BCS Championship Bowl. Ohio State has a ton of defensive holes that likely won’t be adequately filled by September 9th, and the one true road game before the October 21st trip to Nebraska is at Rice. Unless there’s an epic upset, it’s a four game season playing Ohio State, Oklahoma, at Nebraska and at Texas Tech before the Big 12 title game.
The number one thing to work on is: The passing game. No matter who’s under center, the ground game will roll out of bed and average 250 yards per game. Texas became national title good because Young turned into a fantastic passer. McCoy threw for 116 touchdowns in his high school career, but he doesn’t have to be Peyton Manning. All he has to do is be efficient and keep the chains moving. If that happens, the offense will be just fine.
Biggest offensive loss: QB Vince Young
Biggest defensive loss: LB Aaron Harris

They're about to find out just how big a loss just one person can have on a team.

Besides, I'm a UT fan. What do you expect--how about another National Championship?

footballfanatic
1/27/2006, 04:07 PM
It took VY to win a championship. He did it on his own. He's gone now. Mack will have to find another freakish athlete like he is....which wont happen in a long time

Yeah, Vince did it on his own. That tackle he made on Bomar and running back, and the fumble for the TD was one of his many outstanding, defensive plays.

footballfanatic
1/27/2006, 04:08 PM
name me some guys that came from UT that were JUST like VY
:rolleyes:

Name me ANYONE in colle ge football that was JUST like VY? I can't think of any.

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 04:17 PM
Name me ANYONE in colle ge football that was JUST like VY? I can't think of any.
exactly. My point is that it took vince young to win a championship because mack just couldn't do it so there ya have it. VY is gone and who knows what mack is going to do:rolleyes:

RooseveltRoughRider
1/27/2006, 05:04 PM
As I said, I and many other Sooners hate the type of smug texan arrogance and poor character that UT stands for. Not every texan is like that, but there are millions who are. Any athletes who choose to leave texas and come get their education from OU apparently don't share that kind of superiority complex. They're welcome to don the Sooners logo and play next to our athletes from Oklahoma and elsewhere IMO.

Did you ever wonder why all those young men cross the river, play for your archrival, and have built a football legacy more impressive than that at your primary state university? Even with all UT's alumni, boosters and history you can't convince some of your own home grown talent that you're a better program than Oklahoma. That says something.

First and foremost, let me make this clear as crystal. UT nor OU is "my team". I am a football fan period. The honest truth is I watch more high school ball than anything else.

But thats off topic. I don't wonder why kids go across the River to play ball. Common sense should tell you why. Those in the know, know that Texas produces 250 to 300 Division IA players EVERY YEAR. There are 10 1A and 5 1AA schools in Texas. There is no room for ALL the Blue Chips at one school.
If you think Texas does not get their pick of the litter, your mistaken. They get who they wont most of the time whether they win or lose. That is the biggest misconception amongst OU and UT fans. The importance of winning the RRS has NO reflection on recruiting. Bottom line is there is too much talent to go around. Next time you get a chance look at CU, NU, OSU and the Kansas Schools rosters. Even look at OU's. There ar emore Texans on these teams than people from those states. So it's not a matter of athletes hated Texas and went to Oklahoma. Both are great schools, people go to college to play ball, period. They are far much less involved in this hate fest than any of you. And truth be told you can get all those Texan Sooner players and ask them if they love their state and you can bet your *** they do. And dont think plenty of Texans dont hate UT, because they DO. But when the smoke clears, Texans love Texas no matter where they go to school. We are all arrogant in a sense. Some are obnoxious about it some are not. But the average Texan is Conceited,Confident or Cocky...you choose. The chance to play for a top program is why kids go to OU and because it's close. If OU was a east coast school this discussion wouldnt even exist.

So your comment is fruitless....even if OU did'nt exist, there is no way all those prospects could go to UT if they wanted to.

TexasLidig8r
1/27/2006, 05:08 PM
Let's see.. how many times did Major Applewhite and Chris Simms run the zone read offense?

Now. .how many times did Vince run the zone read?

Sounds like someone knew enough about coaching to be able to tweak the offense to take care of players' talents.

Did Vince develop from a questionable quarterback prospect to a top 3 player taken in the draft as a quarterback?

Does Mack recruit and sign good players year in and year out?

Does Mack establish an atmosphere where players can achieve and not get down... Did Texas go into the tank after the Aaron Ross fumble in the Rose Bowl?

Have Mack Brown coached teams beaten... teams coached by Saban, Tressel, Carr, Petey Carroll, Stoops, Let Er Rip, Mangina The Hutt, Pirate Boy Leach...

You can say that Mack may not be the best X and Os coach on the face of the earth.. but.. coaching Xs and Os is only one aspect of coaching.

To not give Mack any credit is naive and ignores facts and his record.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/27/2006, 05:12 PM
Its kinda funny watching people argue about MAck Brown. last time I checked him and Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops all had the same amount of National Championships...don't they?

Duke o Brewery
1/27/2006, 06:40 PM
If you think Texas does not get their pick of the litter, your mistaken. They get who they wont most of the time whether they win or lose. That is the biggest misconception amongst OU and UT fans.

Here are just 3 BIG recent 'picks of the litter':
Tommie Harris, Killeen TX - Chose OU over UT
Rhett Bomar, Grand Prarie TX - Chose OU over UT
Adrian Peterson, Palestine TX - Chose OU over UT

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 06:50 PM
May I add, Marcus Dupree...OU over UT

josh09
1/28/2006, 12:42 PM
i just want to PLAY THEM ALREADY to shut em up

mojohornfan
1/28/2006, 12:53 PM

Mojo, we don't hate texas because of envy for your noticeably lesser accomplishments on the gridiron. Quite the opposite, we hate you because of who you are as people and as a state.

Hey dumba**, you just insulted HALF of the entire SOONER FOOTBALL TEAM!

Desert Sapper
1/28/2006, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure about as a state, but definitely the Whorn people suck. If it weren't for all you puke orange jerks, Baja Oklahoma wouldn't be half bad. Hey, Six Flags started there, and there are a ton of hot girls there. The bottom line is that the winds blow across the plains of Oklahoma for two reasons. Texas Sucks. Kansas Blows. See you at RR.

Tuck Fexas

mojohornfan
1/28/2006, 01:49 PM
The bottom line is that the winds blow across the plains of Oklahoma

because there is NOTHING there to stop it.

GreaterState
1/28/2006, 02:20 PM
Did you ever wonder why all those young men cross the river, play for your archrival

Because Texas isn't allowed to give out 300 scholarships, and after we run out there's enough D-1 starting talent left?

GreaterState
1/28/2006, 02:26 PM
Mack will have to find another freakish athlete like he is....which wont happen in a long time

:rolleyes: Just ask any Sooner--VY is so superhuman that he actually recruited himself. His eyes for talent allowed him to spot himself, visit himself and persuade himself to attend UT. That was after punching his way through a mountain in his path, and founding the World Health Organization.

I now see why Sooners are so overjoyed he's left -- the Texas D-line will clearly suffer in '06 without VY there to coach them.

Sonner magic923
1/28/2006, 03:05 PM
If you think Texas does not get their pick of the litter, your mistaken.

That is such a joke. Mack Brown has all the tallent in the country right in front of him every year. Its not just OU taking athletes from Texas. Its LSU OSU Au and every other program in the area. Its a joke that Adrian Peterson has said many many times that he grew up a UT fan now if you cant land that recruit You should of been fired on the spot oh wait he must of been the runt of the "litter"

Dances with Possums
1/28/2006, 03:07 PM
Last year you guys were saying that Texas would not be able to survive the loss of D. Johnson and C. Benson.

All of the top teams lose significant players. The question is which teams fill their needs best. We won't know until the season begins.

Texas: Lose Vince Young, Michael Huff, Jon Scott, and Cedric Griffen.
USC: Losses everywhere.
Ohio State: Lots of defensive losses.
LSU: Lose half of their offense and half of their defense.
Florida: Still lost three games with a narrow win over Iowa.
West Virgina: They beat Georgia....and????
Oklahoma .... well, you guys already know.

There is no clear cut number one, so it is impossible to argue with whichever team is put at number one to begin the season.

Duke o Brewery
1/28/2006, 04:09 PM
"we don't hate texas because of envy for your noticeably lesser accomplishments on the gridiron. Quite the opposite, we hate you because of who you are as people and as a state. By now, after recieving so much grief from Sooners, I'd have thought you'd have understood this much better, but I guess your smug, typical texas longhorn ego has blinded you to these facts."

Hey dumba**, you just insulted HALF of the entire SOONER FOOTBALL TEAM!

I already explained my above statement. Get with the program, whorn. Another texican already tried this argument.

BASSooner
1/28/2006, 04:09 PM
:rolleyes: Just ask any Sooner--VY is so superhuman that he actually recruited himself. His eyes for talent allowed him to spot himself, visit himself and persuade himself to attend UT. That was after punching his way through a mountain in his path, and founding the World Health Organization.

I now see why Sooners are so overjoyed he's left -- the Texas D-line will clearly suffer in '06 without VY there to coach them.
Defense did great, although, the cream of THAT crop is gone, you guys would be on a hangover if VY wasn't in there. Now he's gone soooooooo ready for mack to coach again?;)

SoonerStormchaser
1/28/2006, 06:32 PM
Besides, I'm a UT fan. What do you expect--how about another National Championship?

Come back in another 35 years and let me know how that went! Don't forget to bring the Just For Men!

ProdigyDub
1/28/2006, 08:38 PM
All you delusional Sooners that STILL think Mack Brown can't coach are delightfully hilarious.

The Fact is, the Texas coaching staff has permanently changed and matured as a result of Vince and the past couple year's teams. I suggest you guys all start preparing yourselves--not necessarily for a loss, because I think itll be a great game--but to face a much different Texas team from now on than you did in '04 and before. If you think winning a conf and national title for the first time in his career hasn't changed Mack and made him a more confident and better coach....well I'll politely classify that as wishful thinking on your part.

BASSooner
1/28/2006, 09:38 PM
All you delusional Sooners that STILL think Mack Brown can't coach are delightfully hilarious.

The Fact is, the Texas coaching staff has permanently changed and matured as a result of Vince and the past couple year's teams. I suggest you guys all start preparing yourselves--not necessarily for a loss, because I think itll be a great game--but to face a much different Texas team from now on than you did in '04 and before. If you think winning a conf and national title for the first time in his career hasn't changed Mack and made him a more confident and better coach....well I'll politely classify that as wishful thinking on your part.
note that we are NOT talking about the staff. Yeah, I think the staff was impressive, Greg Davis did better then last year and chizik was great. We are talking about Mack Brown as a head coach. He is awefull.

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 11:13 AM
We are talking about Mack Brown as a head coach. He is awefull.
Mack Brown has won 9 games or more each the past 10 years, the longest streak of this kind in the country. He won 10 games or more 7 of those years. Does he delegate to his asst. coaches? Yes. Is he more in the mold of a CEO than other head coaches? Yes. Can you seriously say with a straight face that he's not a good college football coach? No. C'mon, BAS, you're better than this.

BTW, UT has won more games than OU the past 5 years. 56 to 55.

1/30/2006, 01:03 PM
*Straight Face* He is NOT a good college football coach!:mack:

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 01:07 PM
*Straight Face* He is NOT a good college football coach!:mack:
Sorry, can't hear you. Got a crystal football in my ear.

1/30/2006, 01:12 PM
Sorry, can't hear you. Got a crystal football in my ear.

You didn't have to hear me ... you just had to read me :P and don't worry Herr, it won't be long till that problem of the crystal ball is out of your ear :P ;) lmao

SoonerStormchaser
1/30/2006, 01:14 PM
Wow...this has got to be the best original thread I've ever come up with!

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 01:16 PM
You didn't have to hear me ... you just had to read me :P and don't worry Herr, it won't be long till that problem of the crystal ball is out of your ear :P ;) lmao
Well, at least I saw one in my lifetime. ;) Now, if the Cubs could ever win the World Series, I could die a happy man.

SoonerStormchaser
1/30/2006, 01:19 PM
Well, at least I saw one in my lifetime. ;) Now, if the Cubs could ever win the World Series, I could die a happy man.

Yah...too bad my Marlins (and *cough* Steve BARTMAN *cough*) denied you in '03.

yur-out
1/30/2006, 01:21 PM

The Fact is, the Texas coaching staff has permanently changed and matured as a result of Vince
Are you kidding us?!?! You mean that you think Mack's coaching ability (and his staff's for that much) is so good that it took a 19-20 year old kid to mature them?

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 01:25 PM
Yah...too bad my Marlins (and *cough* Steve BARTMAN *cough*) denied you in '03.
Yes, that was a big choke job, but if you can't beat 'em, hire 'em. We have Derrek Lee and Juane Pierre now. ;)

1/30/2006, 02:04 PM

It doesn't take much to make you happy Herr! LMAO :P

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 02:16 PM
It doesn't take much to make you happy Herr! LMAO :P
Well, you go your entire life without seeing a national title at your beloved school, you watch them underachieve year after year, and then see how your expectations change. ;) Forgive the off color analogy, but up until this year, we Longhorn football fans had the abused wife syndrome (it's still that way with the Cubs). UT football team: "Oh baby, I didn't mean to hit you. You know I love you." UT fans: "Well OK..."

Coloradosker
1/30/2006, 02:37 PM

Wow. I respect the post but I'm going to give you a completely nonbiased approach to this one. I was rooting my a$$ off during the NC for Texas because 1. I love the big XII and 2. I hate USC. I text messaged my cousin during the first half with this "Mack is going to lose this game for them." Mack kept trying to rein in Vince and trying to run the ball with an ineffective Taylor. It was only after three quarters of jack squat that Mack let Vince be Vince and take over the game. Had he done that the first three quarters it wouldn't have been close. I think Mack Brown is a decent coach and recruiter, but c'mon, you can't honestly tell me that he would do well at a place like Baylor. Texas has the facilities and tradition that makes it desirable to good athletes. The good athletes do enough to win the games DESPITE Mack's coaching. You will see that this year when they struggle and lose two or three.

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 02:41 PM
Texas has the facilities and tradition that makes it desirable to good athletes. The good athletes do enough to win the games DESPITE Mack's coaching. You will see that this year when they struggle and lose two or three.
A popular theory, but this doesn't hold water when you consider that Fred Akers, David McWilliams and John Mackovic weren't able to do what Mack has done.

Coloradosker
1/30/2006, 02:53 PM
A popular theory, but this doesn't hold water when you consider that Fred Akers, David McWilliams and John Mackovic weren't able to do what Mack has done.

Then how do you explain the years and years of #1 recruiting classes and no Big XII titles, let alone National Titles?

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 03:01 PM
Then how do you explain the years and years of #1 recruiting classes and no Big XII titles, let alone National Titles?
We should've won the conference in '01. I'll admit we blew that one (Simms). But we haven't won less than 9 games since Mack got here. In fact, over the 8 years Mack has been here, we've averaged over 10 wins a season. That's a much better stretch than we had in a while before he got here. Mackovic, McWilliams and Akers all had losing seasons.

It took Mack Brown 8 seasons here to win it all. That's faster than Bobby Bowden or Tom Osborne BTW. And we're getting better talent than we ever have under him. Forgive me if I don't want to get rid of him. He's also been to 3 Big XII title games.

GDC
1/30/2006, 03:06 PM
This thread sucks, and smells like whorn. Thank god for Tuesdays.

Coloradosker
1/30/2006, 03:06 PM
We should've won the conference in '01. I'll admit we blew that one (Simms). But we haven't won less than 9 games since Mack got here. In fact, over the 8 years Mack has been here, we've averaged over 10 wins a season. That's a much better stretch than we had in a while before he got here. Mackovic, McWilliams and Akers all had losing seasons.

It took Mack Brown 8 seasons here to win it all. That's faster than Bobby Bowden or Tom Osborne BTW. And we're getting better talent than we ever have under him. Forgive me if I don't want to get rid of him. He's also been to 3 Big XII title games.

Yeah, still not impressed. He's probably the last guy that I'd want coaching my team with the game on the line, but hey, that's JMHO.

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 03:07 PM
Osborne was in his 22nd season at Nebraska when he finally won it all. He's remembered well I think.

Bowden was at his 18th year at FSU before he won it all. He's the all-time winningest coach.

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah, still not impressed. He's probably the last guy that I'd want coaching my team with the game on the line, but hey, that's JMHO.
You're welcome to that opinion but one thing you might consider (other than his streak of at least 9 wins a year for 10 years in a row) is that Brown's beaten a lot of good coaches since he's been here: Carrol, Stoops, Tressel, Carr, Saban, Nutt, Solich, Snyder, Willingham, Barnett, Neuheisel, etc...

Coloradosker
1/30/2006, 03:24 PM
You're welcome to that opinion but one thing you might consider (other than his streak of at least 9 wins a year for 10 years in a row) is that Brown's beaten a lot of good coaches since he's been here: Carrol, Stoops, Tressel, Carr, Saban, Nutt, Solich, Snyder, Willingham, Barnett, Neuheisel, etc...
I know he has and I'm not questioning his ability to get his teams ready to go. I'm also well aware of the number of years it took Osborne and Bowden, I'm just saying from a strictly coaching/playcalling point of view, I am not impressed with him. I think that he has had teams in Austin that were capable of NCs before this one and I think that because of his playcalling/decision making he blew it. Without Vince this year, you guys are a 9/10 win team. He single-handedly won the NC for you independent of Mack.

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 03:33 PM
I'd say our staff was better this year than it's ever been. That's the difference to me. What you've got to understand is that Mack is the CEO. He runs the Fortune 500 business. He's a good coach but he relies on his staff a great deal. He's been as adept at recruiting coaching talent as players.

GDC
1/30/2006, 03:34 PM
This thread makes me want to puke.

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 03:38 PM
This thread makes me want to puke.
So go away. You're not smart enough for that though are you.

GDC
1/30/2006, 03:40 PM
Hey, are you a sponsor yet? You spend enough time here and take up enough bandwidth you ought to pony up sometime, freeloader.

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 03:50 PM
Hey, are you a sponsor yet? You spend enough time here and take up enough bandwidth you ought to pony up sometime, freeloader.
No. Have you gotten laid yet? Didn't think so.

GDC
1/30/2006, 03:53 PM
Are you propositioning me again? I'm flattered, and I hate to break your heart, but I just don't get down like that. Have you tried Lid or caphorns?

Herr Scholz
1/30/2006, 04:00 PM
It's just with your blood pressure that spikes every day, it's pretty obvious you don't have anyone. I'm married though. Sorry to disappoint you.

caphorns
1/30/2006, 04:14 PM
Are you propositioning me again? I'm flattered, and I hate to break your heart, but I just don't get down like that. Have you tried Lid or caphorns?

don't bring me into your fantasies and don't pm me again ya stalker ;)