PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT curse God.

crawfish
1/26/2006, 11:25 AM
It's a bad idea.

Starving Kenyan woman curses God, dies in her sleep (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060126/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_kenya_curse)

NAIROBI (Reuters) - A starving Kenyan woman placed a powerful tribal curse on God, accusing him of sending famine, and died in her sleep, local newspapers said on Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The woman from eastern Kenya's drought-ravaged Kangundo district decided to invoke a dreaded oath from the Kamba community, famed for its potent witchcraft, media reports said.

"Whoever brought this famine, let him perish," the woman chanted, striking a cooking pot with a stick.

"She accomplished the feat at 10 a.m. and waited for the results, but God's wrath struck at night. She died peacefully in her sleep," the Kenya Times newspaper said.

Poor rains for three years running have left more than 3.5 million Kenyans on the edge of starvation, prompting President Mwai Kibaki to declare the drought a national disaster.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 11:27 AM
Poor rains for three years running have left more than 3.5 million Kenyans on the edge of starvation, prompting President Mwai Kibaki to declare the drought a national disaster.

Why does God hate Kenyans?

crawfish
1/26/2006, 11:28 AM
Why does God hate Kenyans?

The more relevant question is, why does the Kenyan government hate Kenyans? They do their best to curtail most aid that God is trying to send 'em.

skycat
1/26/2006, 11:31 AM
The more relevant question is, why does the Kenyan government hate Kenyans? They do their best to curtail most aid that God is trying to send 'em.

The Kenyan government is preventing rain? ;)

Stanley1
1/26/2006, 11:33 AM
The Kenyan government is preventing rain? ;)

Yes.

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 11:35 AM
President Mwai Kibaki hates wet people.

handcrafted
1/26/2006, 11:37 AM
Didn't Kenya top the list of the most corrupt governments/countries in the world? Or am I thinking of some other African nation?

EDIT: answered my own question. It's Chad, not Kenya, although Kenya is No. 15.

Linky (http://www.transparency.org/policy_and_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2005)

Most corrupt at the bottom of the list, best ones at the top.

Hot Rod
1/26/2006, 11:39 AM
President Mwai Kibaki hates wet people.

President Mwai Kibaki - "Wet people BAD! Dry people GOOD!" :mad:

crawfish
1/26/2006, 11:42 AM
Didn't Kenya top the list of the most corrupt governments/countries in the world? Or am I thinking of some other African nation?

It is one of them. I read somewhere that only about 20% of the aid to Kenya actually reaches the people in need due to government corruption.

crawfish
1/26/2006, 11:43 AM
Nobody seems to be noticing how amusingly ironic the event in question is. :)

Hot Rod
1/26/2006, 11:45 AM

In a way, it is amusing, but it shows you should never curse God.

handcrafted
1/26/2006, 11:45 AM

Oh I did. Smell the irony. God seems to do things in ironic fashion a lot of the time, especially when He's making an example out of someone.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 11:48 AM
In a way, it is amusing, but it shows you should never curse God.

She didn't curse God, she cursed "whoever brought this famine". God must have a guilty conscience.

handcrafted
1/26/2006, 11:59 AM
She didn't curse God, she cursed "whoever brought this famine". God must have a guilty conscience.

I'm guessing context is everything in this instance.

crawfish
1/26/2006, 12:01 PM
Oh I did. Smell the irony. God seems to do things in ironic fashion a lot of the time, especially when He's making an example out of someone.

Personally, I think it's a coincidence, or at most, the woman was so scared at God's reaction that she caused herself to die.

I just don't think God works that way.

p.s. I did know what I was potentially getting into when I posted the article. Feel free to neg me if it makes you feel better. :)

Beef
1/26/2006, 12:03 PM
I think I would take dying peacefully in my sleep over an extended death due to starving.

handcrafted
1/26/2006, 12:08 PM
Personally, I think it's a coincidence, or at most, the woman was so scared at God's reaction that she caused herself to die.

I just don't think God works that way.

p.s. I did know what I was potentially getting into when I posted the article. Feel free to neg me if it makes you feel better. :)

There is no such thing as a coincidence. Why do you think God doesn't work that way? There's examples of this sort of thing all through the Bible.

TexasLidig8r
1/26/2006, 12:08 PM
To help prevent just this sort of thing.. we have a "Blasphemy Jar" in my house.. if the kids or me... uses the Lord's name in vain... including, even using "Jesus".. out of proper context.. a dollar goes into the Blasphemy Jar.

It starts to become very effective about the 5th time they are forced to throw a dollar in.. or the allowance is docked.

Of course, in 6 months I will take the money and go to Cabaret Royale.. or.. give it to a church. whichever the mood is that day.

Pieces Hit
1/26/2006, 12:09 PM
Kenya just please send me some rain!?

skycat
1/26/2006, 12:11 PM
There is no such thing as a coincidence. Why do you think God doesn't work that way? There's examples of this sort of thing all through the Bible.

So you're saying that God is willing to smite a desperate woman who has probably seen as much death and suffering as the majority of the posters on this board put together for lashing out in anger and frustration, but is unwilling to send some rain, or to smite those that prevent aid reaching those that need it?

Mysterious ways indeed.

n8v_ndn
1/26/2006, 12:18 PM
Can you imagine if they went into her hut and found her mysteriously drowned? That'd be awesome!

I'd have to look up at the sky and say, 'Creator, you devil' wink wink....

handcrafted
1/26/2006, 12:31 PM
So you're saying that God is willing to smite a desperate woman who has probably seen as much death and suffering as the majority of the posters on this board put together for lashing out in anger and frustration, but is unwilling to send some rain, or to smite those that prevent aid reaching those that need it?

Mysterious ways indeed.

Lashing out in anger and frustration, okay and understandable (within reason). Read the Psalms, they're full of that kind of thing.

Engaging in witchcraft or pagan "magic", or cursing/blaspheming God, not okay. Ever.

fadada1
1/26/2006, 12:37 PM
if God hates kenya by sending them a draught, imagine His love for new orleans.... or seattle.

skycat
1/26/2006, 12:41 PM
if God hates kenya by sending them a draught, imagine His love for new orleans.... or seattle.

God must really hate the Irish. Or love them. Whichever.

http://www.office-beerbar.com/images/beers.jpg
;)

Sooner_Bob
1/26/2006, 12:49 PM
You people aren't Kenyan so your opinion doesn't matter.

:D

GottaHavePride
1/26/2006, 01:24 PM

I think God was the Ron Popeil of creators. He "set it and forget it!"

;)

Penguin
1/26/2006, 01:27 PM
I would think that God has thicker skin than that.

proud gonzo
1/26/2006, 01:30 PM
I learned a word in German yesterday that explains exactly how I feel about this story.

"Schadenfreude"

crawfish
1/26/2006, 01:31 PM

I believe the bible is full of subtleties that are missed by a pure literal reading - especially of many Englsh translations. Personally, I don't hold that every literal thing that happens is done by God - such as the hardening of Pharaoh's heart.

I believe that God is omnipotent and omnipresent; however, he has necessarily limited himself so that we may exercise our free choice.

This point of view is hard to express by pointing to specific Bible verses; it requires more of a holistic view and therefore, I'm having trouble summing it up in this particular thread. I really need to put these thoughts down in writing someday.

Pricetag
1/26/2006, 01:32 PM
You've all missed the point. It's obvious that she's the one who brought the famine. Her curse worked.

crawfish
1/26/2006, 01:34 PM
I learned a word in German yesterday that explains exactly how I feel about this story.

"Schadenfreude"

"Damage Joy"?

Dang Babel Fish. :mad:

proud gonzo
1/26/2006, 01:37 PM
there's not an english word for it. It means to find joy in someone else's misfortunes.... so for instance if someone curses god and then dies in their sleep and you giggle even though you shouldn't....that's Schadenfreude :D

Mjcpr
1/26/2006, 01:38 PM
I got yer Schadenfreude swingin'.

crawfish
1/26/2006, 01:41 PM
there's not an english word for it. It means to find joy in someone else's misfortunes.... so for instance if someone curses god and then dies in their sleep and you giggle even though you shouldn't....that's Schadenfreude :D

Ahh. Dark comedy.

Penguin
1/26/2006, 01:44 PM
You ask 4 billion people what they think about how involoved God is in your day-to-day life, you'll get 4 billion different answers.

My belief is that the good Lord doesn't care about 99% of the things that go on everyday.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 01:48 PM

I'm always amused when skydivers die in a plane crash. :O

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 02:00 PM
God negged her.

SoonerWood
1/26/2006, 02:04 PM
And yet there were 349 other people in Kenya that were doing the same thing and they still live.

You only hear about things like this when the coincidence is this ironic. It's those other million times that someone cursed God and didn't die that place the true insignificance on something like this.

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 02:06 PM
Like Gumps buddy. He cursed God and they worked it out.

Sometimes you just gotta open the lines of communication.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 02:06 PM
God negged her.

I bet he didn't sign it either.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 02:07 PM
I would think that God has thicker skin than that.

Read the First Commandment. Apparently not.

crawfish
1/26/2006, 02:12 PM
And yet there were 349 other people in Kenya that were doing the same thing and they still live.

You only hear about things like this when the coincidence is this ironic. It's those other million times that someone cursed God and didn't die that place the true insignificance on something like this.

Maybe this was just a warning. :)

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 02:12 PM
Maybe this was just a warning. :)

It would certainly get my attention.

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 02:13 PM
God gave me a kidney.

Two, in fact.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 02:13 PM
God gave me a kidney.

He gave me two.

proud gonzo
1/26/2006, 02:15 PM
what does he say when he sneezes? :confused:

Mjcpr
1/26/2006, 02:15 PM

You're soooo good lookin'.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 02:16 PM

"Excuse me"?

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 02:17 PM
He gave me two.
you are so slow.

I had time to edit, drink a soda and neg a noob before you posted that.

skycat
1/26/2006, 02:17 PM
I bet he didn't sign it either.

Would that be funny?

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 02:18 PM
you are so slow.

I had time to edit, drink a soda and neg a noob before you posted that.

Pfft.

1/26/2006, 01:13 PM

1/26/2006, 01:13 PM

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 02:19 PM
Would that be funny?

I think it be funnier in this case if he did.

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 02:21 PM
clearly you are under the impression that indisputable evidence outweighs my opinion.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 02:22 PM
clearly you are under the impression that indisputable evidence outweighs my opinion.

IBTT

handcrafted
1/26/2006, 04:15 PM
I believe the bible is full of subtleties that are missed by a pure literal reading - especially of many Englsh translations. Personally, I don't hold that every literal thing that happens is done by God - such as the hardening of Pharaoh's heart.

I believe that God is omnipotent and omnipresent; however, he has necessarily limited himself so that we may exercise our free choice.

This point of view is hard to express by pointing to specific Bible verses; it requires more of a holistic view and therefore, I'm having trouble summing it up in this particular thread. I really need to put these thoughts down in writing someday.

There are a lot of people who think that way, a lot of theologians, in fact. I don't think that's a Biblical view of God, but some would disagree. I think the closest we can get right now is, there is a relationship between God's sovereignty and man's responsibility, but the exact nature of that relationship is a mystery. We can grasp that the Bible teaches the concepts involved, even if we don't understand how they work in a cosmic sense. From the Scriptures, it's clear that 1) God is in control of everything at all times, and 2) humans are free moral agents and are accountable for their actions. A conundrum, to be sure, but it is the truth. Some stuff just isn't for us to know.

picasso
1/26/2006, 04:22 PM

Mysterious ways indeed.
perhaps they should simply ask for rain.

and placing some kind of crafty curse is more than just lashing out in frustration.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/26/2006, 04:25 PM
Put one and two together people....Who controls the weather....GEORGE W. BUSH! Who hates black people.....GEORGE W. BUSH! I guess Kanye "Jesus" West was finally proved right :(

skycat
1/26/2006, 04:29 PM
perhaps they should simply ask for rain.

and placing some kind of crafty curse is more than just lashing out in frustration.

I'm sure that at no point had anyone in this region asked for rain prior to this.

It is also obvious that the Almighty had much to fear from this pagan curse. Clearly, the woman had to go.

Or maybe, it's all just a coincidence.

picasso
1/26/2006, 04:45 PM
I'm sure that at no point had anyone in this region asked for rain prior to this.

It is also obvious that the Almighty had much to fear from this pagan curse. Clearly, the woman had to go.

Or maybe, it's all just a coincidence.

hey, I'm not judging. and I simply meant perhaps they should ask "God" for rain and not curse him. that's where I would start.
you know we're in a drought here right now.

skycat
1/26/2006, 04:56 PM
hey, I'm not judging. and I simply meant perhaps they should ask "God" for rain and not curse him. that's where I would start.
you know we're in a drought here right now.

Sorry, once in a while I get stuck in argumentative mode.:O

TUSooner
1/26/2006, 05:14 PM

"Schadenfreude"

Is that anything like "gefuchtig"?

StoopTroup
1/26/2006, 05:22 PM

EDIT: answered my own question. It's Chad, not Kenya, although Kenya is No. 15.

Linky (http://www.transparency.org/policy_and_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2005)

Most corrupt at the bottom of the list, best ones at the top.
Chiming in at Number 144....

http://za.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-01-26T063549Z_01_BAN623792_RTRIDST_0_OZATP-CONGO-DEMOCRATIC-TENSIONS-20060126.XML

Former rebel commander Laurent Nkunda has rejected Congo's peace deal and his fighters have chased the new national army from several towns in the past week, prompting U.N. forces to counterattack with helicopter gunships.

Stoop Dawg
1/26/2006, 08:27 PM

And all this time I thought God was all-powerful. Who knew that He is second only to the Kenyan government?

crawfish
1/26/2006, 09:25 PM
And all this time I thought God was all-powerful. Who knew that He is second only to the Kenyan government?

Rest assured, I can go page after page on this topic if you feel the need to argue with me. ;)

Stoop Dawg
1/26/2006, 11:45 PM

Convenient.

While you guys are out NOT cursing God you may also want to avoid taking lava rocks home from Hawaii. If you have already comitted this atrocity, you can still make it right again: http://www.volcanogallery.com/lavarock.htm

picasso
1/27/2006, 12:02 AM
Convenient.

While you guys are out NOT cursing God you may also want to avoid taking lava rocks home from Hawaii. If you have already comitted this atrocity, you can still make it right again: http://www.volcanogallery.com/lavarock.htm
hey man, we all saw what happened to Greg Brady.

proud gonzo
1/27/2006, 12:28 AM
yeah... i wanted to take a little piece of coral i found that was shaped like an elephant but Iggy wouldn't let me. I think he asked if he could look at it and when i handed it to him he chucked it back into the ocean.

:(

Stoop Dawg
1/27/2006, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure if the curse applies to coral, but better safe than sorry I suppose!