PDA

View Full Version : Hope this doesnt happen - OU - TX game

southern sooner
1/26/2006, 10:56 AM
NORMAN, Okla. -- The University of Oklahoma board of regents on Wednesday authorized athletic director Joe Castiglione to negotiate with Dallas city officials an extension that would allow the annual football game against the University of Texas to continue at the Cotton Bowl.

The current agreement calls for the OU-Texas game to be held at the Cotton Bowl through 2008.

"Fans want to continue the tradition of the universities meeting in Dallas," OU President David Boren said Wednesday.

Dallas city leaders pledged to add more than 16,000 seats under a remodeling plan unveiled last month, but Dallas Mayor Laura Miller has said she wanted extended commitments from both schools before making improvements.

The nearly $50 million proposal would upgrade seats, concession stands, scoreboards and restrooms to the decaying 75-year-old stadium. Seating capacity would increase to 92,100 under the 34-proposal that was to be submitted to the City Council.

Frustrated with the deteriorating facility, athletic directors from Texas and Oklahoma have threatened to exercise an opt-out after 2007 and switch the Red River Rivalry to a home-and-home series.

Since 1929, the border rivalry has been played in Dallas, roughly halfway between the campuses in Norman, Okla., and Austin. The stadium is equally divided between burnt orange-clad Texas fans and crimson-wearing Sooners and anchors the surrounding State Fair of Texas.

southern sooner
1/26/2006, 10:57 AM
We need to make this a home and home game..... Bring them to Norman!!!!!

RooseveltRoughRider
1/26/2006, 11:57 AM
Are you CRAZY?!? This would break a great tradition and do you REALLY wanna go to Austin the following year? UT has a bad habit of not letting opposing teams get many seats. Plus it would ruin the atmosphere. The Alumni gatherings, the Texas State Fair, the short drives to Dallas..

All that would be gone. Do you even like football?

NickZeppelin
1/26/2006, 12:04 PM
That would ruin the rivalry. OU/Tx isn't OU/Tx without being in Dallas and having a half and half crowd. There's nothing like it in college football.

The Consumate Showman
1/26/2006, 12:11 PM
The only thing I would be for, as far as change goes, is to move the game our of that sh!t hole and put it in the new Cowboys stadium when they get it built, but the seating would decrease quiet a bit I think, so let's keep it in the Cotton Bowl. It's a great venue and both of our schools are known for it since they built that stadium back in the Doak Walker/Davey O'Brein days.....

Herr Scholz
1/26/2006, 12:25 PM
It's really the big rich donors who are driving this. They have to have their private suites with A/C and private clubs where they can avoid the peasants. And drink their scotch and rocks. Hopefully the upper 10% won't win out over the 90% who want the game to stay there. Who cares if the stadium is old? I mean, really.

I'm afraid I'm wishing in vain though. The athletic departments (and country for that matter) are run by the upper 10%.

mrowl
1/26/2006, 12:29 PM
I think I need to start another thread about this.

Taxman71
1/26/2006, 12:31 PM

You are dead to me.

I am sick of hearing how "old" the Cotton Bowl is. Is it older than Fenway Park, Wrigley Stadium, Yankee Stadium, etc? Those places are awesome because they merge the old with the new (thanks to major upgrades over the years). The cotton bowl can be the same way with upgrades.

Having said that, I would prefer moving the game to the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington over a home and home. It is a nicer area which would allow for night games and less mugging/panhandling. Home and home turns it into OU vs. A$M.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/26/2006, 12:34 PM
We need to make this a home and home game..... Bring them to Norman!!!!!Double AMEN, brother/sister. Many on this board have argued pros and cons ad nauseum. I'll say no more, except that I solidly believe home and home is an improvement over playing the game ANYWHERE in the DFW metroplex.

Taxman71
1/26/2006, 12:46 PM
Admin - please lock this thread before Boren, Dodds or Joe C. start to think Sooners really want this game moved.

Desert Sapper
1/26/2006, 12:54 PM
I am sick of hearing how "old" the Cotton Bowl is. Is it older than Fenway Park, Wrigley Stadium, Yankee Stadium, etc? Those places are awesome because they merge the old with the new (thanks to major upgrades over the years). The cotton bowl can be the same way with upgrades.

Well said. Old does not mean dead, and an upgrade to the stadium might get the Cotton Bowl looking better to the BCS, too. It would be cool for the Cotton to be big again. Still not sure how the Tostitos bowl jumped ahead.

soonervegas
1/26/2006, 12:57 PM
Double AMEN, brother/sister. Many on this board have argued pros and cons ad nauseum. I'll say no more, except that I solidly believe home and home is an improvement over playing the game ANYWHERE in the DFW metroplex.

Obviously, you have never been.

Rhino
1/26/2006, 01:00 PM
People that say home and home is the way to go with this game have never attended the game.

Outside of firing Stoops and rehiring Blake or ***************, making OU/TX home-and-home is the worst thing that could happen to OU football. Not just for the fans, not just for traditions, not just for national television, but for recruiting in the DFW area.

bluedogok
1/26/2006, 01:07 PM
Still not sure how the Tostitos bowl jumped ahead.MONEY....and lots of it. They paid big to get the Penn State-Miami championship game since both schools were independents at the time. Ever since then it raised their stock to the level where they are now.

caphorns
1/26/2006, 01:10 PM
People that say home and home is the way to go with this game have never attended the game.

That's not true. I was disappointed by the lack of masseuses at halftime ;)

Seriously, the Cotton Bowl sucks. This is a game of chicken and so far the inability of Dallas' officials to speak to their electorate has put the Cotton Bowl site on the line. I do like the neutral field and geographically it's hard to argue with Dallas. But I'm in favor of moving it to Jerryworld or whatever.

NickZeppelin
1/26/2006, 01:36 PM
That's not true. I was disappointed by the lack of masseuses at halftime ;)

Seriously, the Cotton Bowl sucks. This is a game of chicken and so far the inability of Dallas' officials to speak to their electorate has put the Cotton Bowl site on the line. I do like the neutral field and geographically it's hard to argue with Dallas. But I'm in favor of moving it to Jerryworld or whatever.

I agree more with that. Move the state fair to whatever stadium the Cowboys build. If hell does freeze over and Dallas decides to rebuild that stadium and area really then I think it should stay. But hell won't freeze over although it did for the Shortwhorns this year.

ftworthfox
1/26/2006, 01:44 PM
That would ruin the rivalry. OU/Tx isn't OU/Tx without being in Dallas and having a half and half crowd. There's nothing like it in college football.

What he said! It's still the RRS even if one side or the other is in a down year and home/home would only serve to dilute the importance. It's a magical atmosphere. Just reflect back to this past year when we were struggling. The game was all the buzz and got the prime spot and reporters on TV. That wouldn't happen if they took it away from the fair and the neutral site. It is one of college footballs treasured traditions and there is nothing like it in all of college ball. Further, it seems Dallas may finally have come to realize what they stand to lose if they don't step up. I think they're going to come thru.

westcoast_sooner
1/26/2006, 02:03 PM
There is absolutely nothing like seeing half the stadium in Crimson and the other half in Orange. There is nothing like parking on those little side lots, trudging through the fairgrounds, walking past Big Tex, fighting the crowd to get into that stadium, watching a game that is traditionally one of the contests that helps decide the MNC almost every year. I remember going to my first RRS in 99. It was unbelievable to actually be there, after watching the game so many times on TV. And every time I have been since, it has been no less thrilling - especially since the other times I've been there we routed the longhorns (2000 and 2003).

The Cotton Bowl sucks. But playing that game someplace else, either home and home, or at the new Cowboys place would take something important away from the tradition of the RRS.

I say that if they can upgrade the stadium, then do that rather than the alternatives.

BoomerJack
1/26/2006, 02:47 PM
I'd like to see the game remain in Dallas and preferably in the Cotton Bowl. But I just don't think it's in the cards. City of Dallas is gonna want a longer commitment from the athletic depts. to play there BEFORE they go to the voters for a bond referendum or whatever they need to do to get the $$$$ for the renovation. And the athletic depts. don't want to commit to a long commitment.

I would think Dallas would want a 15 or 20 year commitment beyond the current term. The athletic depts. won't commit beyond 10 additional years.

The game will either be played at the new Dallas Cowboy stadium or go home and home.

caphorns
1/26/2006, 03:10 PM
It is true that the strength of the rivalry could be tested (even in the near future) if both programs go through a drought. However, I suspect that if you are going to start a new tradition - whether it be home-and-home or better neutral site - you better start it now. UT and OU have more leverage on this situation right now than at any other time. This is a huge money maker. The equivalent $$$$ wise of a BCS game. Dallas will see nothing like it as a regular event and stands to lose alot by not committing $$$$ to truly upgrade the Cotton Bowl. So, I hope these guys take a strong stand, and posture as long and as hard as possible to get the best deal possible for our respective fanbase. I don't understand all the boohooing about it. If you don't have a credible threat - moving the game - then Dallas officials WILL sit on their hands. If Dallas doesn't want to play ball (or thinks we are not serious), it will be their loss and the rivalry will survive and restart elsewhere.

Red October
1/26/2006, 03:19 PM
I would still like to see them either perform a major renovation or build another stadium on the same site.

During that time, for just one year only, have the game at the Texas Motor Speedway. Wouldnt it be just awesome to have 150,000 175-000 people at a football game? Wow.

auto
1/26/2006, 03:23 PM

Outside of firing Stoops and rehiring Blake or ***************, making OU/TX home-and-home is the worst thing that could happen to OU football. Not just for the fans, not just for traditions, not just for national television, but for recruiting in the DFW area.

Now that deserves some spek:D

1/26/2006, 03:24 PM
Obviously, you have never been.What do you guys expect to accomplish with a silly-as*ed statement like that? I suppose your argument is that if one has ever attended the game in Dallas, you HAVE to be convinced it should stay there. WRONG. I have attended many OU-tx games, and firmly believe the Sooners would be better served by having the game home and home. There are lots of us.( but not many participating in this repetitive thread today). I bet few of us message boarders have a lot of influence on the ultimate decision, anyway.

Herr Scholz
1/26/2006, 03:38 PM
...and firmly believe the Sooners would be better served by having the game home and home.
Why, for economics? That's not true. Deloss Dodds has said it's pretty much a wash from getting an extra home game every other year and having the game in Dallas every single year. The Norman hotels and restaurants would get a slight boost every other year but it's a wash for the OU athletic department overall. I say slight boost when the game's in Norman because the number of Longhorn fans staying in Norman and eating there would be quite minimal. We drove in and out of Fayetteville in 2004. Don't know how many OU fans stay in hotels there for OU home games. My guess would be not that many.

Recruiting? OU would take a hit in recruiting in the DFW area.

For the fans? Not even close. A home game in Norman with 3K Longhorn fans stuck in one of the corners doesn't even sniff what the game is now.

Taxman71
1/26/2006, 03:44 PM
I have yet to hear a single valid reason for moving this game. Money, recruiting, donations and ability to beat Texas EVERY year all favor playing the game in Dallas. I think there is a contingent of "Sooner fans" who are unwilling or unable to go to Dallas every year for whatever reason. These people get ****ed because they see those of us who go every year having a great time and feel left out. Rather than be happy for those who get to go, these people would rather end the tradition in Dallas. In other words, if they can't go, then the whole event should be done away with.

It is also ridiculous to assert that can get the same experience every other year in Norman for a $60 ticket and no need for a hotel. This is simply untrue and does not warrant comment.

Fortunately, I believe the fact that Oklahoma sends 60,000 plus to Dallas every October more than willing to spend what cash they have for the entire weekend (game included), means that even Dallas is not stupid enough to move this game. The game is the center point for an annual minivacation that many of us take every year. (FYI - I get my tickets every year through phone calls, scalpers, brokers, wherever...I have never got my nonstudent OU-Texas tix through the school unfortunately).

Most importantly, the football coaches would be ****ed about losing such a great recruiting tool and the ability to avoid playing in Austin every other year.

Taxman71
1/26/2006, 03:49 PM
Why, for economics? That's not true. Deloss Dodds has said it's pretty much a wash from getting an extra home game every other year and having the game in Dallas every single year. The Norman hotels and restaurants would get a slight boost every other year but it's a wash for the OU athletic department overall. I say slight boost when the game's in Norman because the number of Longhorn fans staying in Norman and eating there would be quite minimal. We drove in and out of Fayetteville in 2004. Don't know how many OU fans stay in hotels there for OU home games. My guess would be not that many.

I hate arguments saying a home and home would help the Norman economy. Sure, an extra home game EVERY OTHER YEAR would help local revenues. However, OU-Texas weekend occurs EVERY YEAR and leads to the following expenditures in the Norman area:

1. Fans buy new shirts to wear to the game each year.
2. Fans buy new clothes to go out in Dallas Friday night.
3. Fans all gas up their cars in Norman before the road trip.
4. Fans stock up on beer, liquor, drinks and food before the road trip.

These purchases would vanish if not for the trip to Dallas. Offset this revenue by the loss in donors if the game moved, and it would be very bad for OU and Norman.

OUthunder
1/26/2006, 03:53 PM
Move it out of the **** hole or make it home and home.

Herr Scholz
1/26/2006, 04:28 PM
Move it out of the **** hole or make it home and home.
I love that ****hole. I love the small grocers with bars on their windows. I love the people that extort $10 from you to 'watch your car' if you park on the street in front of their house. I love the back Dallas roads you have to meander around to avoid that God forsaken I-30.

It's a dump but it's OUR dump. ;)

OUthunder
1/26/2006, 04:36 PM
You can have it!

soonervegas
1/26/2006, 05:13 PM
What do you guys expect to accomplish with a silly-as*ed statement like that? I suppose your argument is that if one has ever attended the game in Dallas, you HAVE to be convinced it should stay there. WRONG. I have attended many OU-tx games, and firmly believe the Sooners would be better served by having the game home and home. There are lots of us.( but not many participating in this repetitive thread today). I bet few of us message boarders have a lot of influence on the ultimate decision, anyway.

Exactly how would we be better served?

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/26/2006, 05:28 PM
...I hope these guys take a strong stand, and posture as long and as hard as possible to get the best deal possible for our respective fanbase. I don't understand all the boohooing about it. If you don't have a credible threat - moving the game - then Dallas officials WILL sit on their hands. If Dallas doesn't want to play ball (or thinks we are not serious), it will be their loss and the rivalry will survive and restart elsewhere.

i pretty much agree with caps on this one. i think that it will have to move to a home-and-home BEFORE they're going to do some SERIOUS renovations to that stadium. they've been slowplaying the situation for years with nickel and dime improvements and it isn't going to change until they see that the universities are serious about some MAJOR upgrades at that stadium. i would hate to see it move, but if-and i do mean IF-it's necessary to get the city of dallas off it's collective butts to make something change, then so be it. it can always be moved back when they're done with the upgrades.

jmho.

Taxman71
1/26/2006, 06:41 PM
OU spends 4 -6 hours one day each year in the Cotton Bowl. There is no justification for luxury boxes, suites, etc. unless the stadium is going to host a D-I or NFL team's home games. This is all smoke.

OU and the whorns really just want more money from Dallas to compensate for their travel expenses, the purported loss of revenue from an extra home game and tens of millions spent in that 3-day span. It's about money and nothing else. They know how much Dallas makes from that game and how little (percentage wise) they dole out to the schools. Don't think for a minute that the upper brass cares how tight the seats are, etc. (However, working bathrooms and running water is not too much to ask). Besides, of all the donors (including suite holders and club level) I have spoken to, not one favors a home and home. They love the Cotton Bowl and its surroundings in spite of a few hours of slight uncomfortableness (compared to newer stadiums).

Besides, should the word "comfort" ever be used in the context of a watching a football game? Even if they replace every seat with a leather recliner, I will still suffer from bladder and intestinal pain from downing too much beer and fair food before kickoff.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 06:44 PM

They won't come to Norman any more than they'd go to Stillwater.

1/26/2006, 07:19 PM
They won't come to Norman any more than they'd go to Stillwater.Bravo, then we'll have ALL SOONER FANS in the stands.,,but wait, they already DO go to Stoolwater!:)

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 07:31 PM
Bravo, then we'll have ALL SOONER FANS in the stands.,,but wait, they already DO go to Stoolwater!:)

They'd sell out their allotment. What I meant was, UT fans aren't going to come to Norman in larger numbers than they go to Stillwater. Norman is not a destination if you live in Austin and pass through Dallas on the way here.

I think EZ Million ( :rolleyes: ) and his buds have visions of OU/Texas in Norman being like OU/Texas in Dallas with thousands of extra people showing up who don't even plan on going to the game. Ain't gonna happen, and Norman/OKC couldn't handle it if it did.

snp
1/26/2006, 08:06 PM
So, who of you would head to Austin every other year to watch us play? Not many. Twice the drive, 1/10th of the fun.

Look past the game. Look at the whole experience. NOTHING beats this weekend. I know people from A&M, Tech, Baylor, UNT, etc that all go up to Dallas for this weekend. They all envy us for what we have.

It's what seperates us from the other "big rivalry games" and makes us the best. Let tOSU/UM, FSU/Miami, Bama/AU, ND/USC, and the rest of those guys have their home/home rivalry.

We're special. :D

4. Fans stock up on beer, liquor, drinks and food before the road trip.

You lost me there, buddy.

No one should buy beer from Oklahoma before they get into Texas. Unless you're going for that fancy-schmancy stuff from liquor stores. I prefer to stock up on Keystone's once I cross the river.

But we do chug beers (with a sober pledge driving, of course) the whole way down. But that's not like stocking up, but drinking the leftovers in the fridge from the night before :)

Ruuuuuufus
1/26/2006, 08:42 PM
I won't lie, I didn't read most of this thread because it's the same old hashed out argument.

But I will say that opinions of those like the creator of this topic are how we have Mr. Bubbles and Tinky Winky as mascots.

Taxman71
1/27/2006, 07:29 AM
You lost me there, buddy.

No one should buy beer from Oklahoma before they get into Texas. Unless you're going for that fancy-schmancy stuff from liquor stores. I prefer to stock up on Keystone's once I cross the river.

But we do chug beers (with a sober pledge driving, of course) the whole way down. But that's not like stocking up, but drinking the leftovers in the fridge from the night before :)

Yes, I, too, stock up on the six point on the drive back to Oklahoma. But waiting until you hit the border on the drive down costs you 2 hours of primo drinking time. By the time you hit the border, stop at TK's and take a leak, you're just ready to get to your room.

bluedogok
1/27/2006, 06:07 PM
I love that ****hole. I love the small grocers with bars on their windows. I love the people that extort $10 from you to 'watch your car' if you park on the street in front of their house. I love the back Dallas roads you have to meander around to avoid that God forsaken I-30.

It's a dump but it's OUR dump. ;)The year that Garth Brooks had the free concert at the fair the evening of the game I found out that what is leftover in a 12-pack will get your car protected for awhile. We stopped and bought a case at one of the stores and went to where we parked and drank then went back in to see the show. We gave our leftovers to the guys that were "working" the lot. When we got back to the car after dark, they were sitting on milkcrates next to the car. They said "we kept an eye on it for ya", we thanked them and headed back to the Anatole before heading out for the evening.