PDA

View Full Version : USC '05 vs. OU '04

TJKDone
1/25/2006, 11:57 PM
Now that the dust has settled this seems to be the most appropriate comparison.

Similarities:

1) Both SC and OU believed that they were better than they were presently based on previous year's performance

2) Both SC and OU severly underestimated their opponents due to (1)

3) Both had a ton of future NFL players on their rosters which led to (2) which in turn contributed to (1)

4) Both had outstanding game day coaches that were thought near unbeatable in big games which contributed to (1)

Differences:

1) SC had better senior leadership than OU

2) SC will lose less after their loss because their conference sucks

Any thoughts?

Hook'em

starclassic tama
1/25/2006, 11:58 PM
USC 2005 wins this one. the offense that threw up 55 on us is even better this year. hate to say it but that's how i see it. i do think however that we would have scored a lot more than 19 points on USC 2005 and been able to run the ball a lot more effectively, but SC still would have won something like 45-35.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/26/2006, 12:04 AM
Now that the dust has settled this seems to be the most appropriate comparison.

Similarities:

1) Both SC and OU believed that they were better than they were presently based on previous year's performance

2) Both SC and OU severly underestimated their opponents due to (1)

3) Both had a ton of future NFL players on their rosters which led to (2) which in turn contributed to (1)

4) Both had outstanding game day coaches that were thought near unbeatable in big games which contributed to (1)

Differences:

1) SC had better senior leadership than OU

2) SC will lose less after their loss because their conference sucks

Any thoughts?

Hook'em

I hate you and this thread and your sorry ****ing guts! Those are my thoughts.

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 12:06 AM
Well thought out.........to the point........covers the bases.......

I agree.

TJKDone
1/26/2006, 12:15 AM

Certainly exceeded my expectations:rolleyes:

Hook'em

bigdsooner
1/26/2006, 12:29 AM
can we please have a no horn monday thru sunday

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/26/2006, 12:33 AM

Hook'emAnother lost whorn. Can't they find their way back home?:mad:

NUSooner
1/26/2006, 12:38 AM
I've said it all season (although maybe not here), but there wasn't a single team in '05 that were as good as either team last year. USC was down from last year, especially defensively (and it showed for sure against teams like Fresno and Texas). OU would have been able to move the ball down the field against this team (and keep in mind, they probably wouldn't have self-destructed in the second quarter).

OU '04 beat a Texas team 12-0 that lost their two best players for '05 (Benson and Johnson). Young improved a lot, but OU's defense was pretty strong as well that year with a better secondary and better ends (Cody and Birdine). Texas held OU in check offensively in '05, but OU could have done the same to Texas again. Remember, Young didn't run wild on us this year, he looped his balls in to ridiculously open recievers, who wouldn't have gotten so open with an experienced backfield.

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 12:57 AM
why are whorns allowed to make new threads on this board?

Seamus
1/26/2006, 03:06 AM
Word. Somebody needs to round up these orange kok smokers and treat them to a nice hate crime. :texan:

shavedmarmoset
1/26/2006, 03:21 AM
Remember, Young didn't run wild on us this year, he looped his balls in to ridiculously open recievers, who wouldn't have gotten so open with an experienced backfield.

If there was one team that could always hold Young's running ability in check, it was OU. Think 2004 when we sacked him multiple times and 2003 when he coughed it up near the goal line when the game was still close. And, as already stated, this year he was definitely not a runner. Just look at this year's stats; he threw against us.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/26/2006, 09:05 AM
In all honesty..I think Texas 05 would beat OU 04'.
True, Young is not much of a factor running vs. OU...but the Horns still rushed for over 200 yards against OU this year so it wasnt all passing.

The teams were relatively close in 2004. When you think about it, OU has scored only 1 touchdown in the last two RRS.

NormanPride
1/26/2006, 10:13 AM
HATE

Soonerman08
1/26/2006, 10:21 AM
In all honesty..I think Texas 05 would beat OU 04'.
True, Young is not much of a factor running vs. OU...but the Horns still rushed for over 200 yards against OU this year so it wasnt all passing.

The teams were relatively close in 2004. When you think about it, OU has scored only 1 touchdown in the last two RRS.

I call bull**** on this one. Texas '05 wouldn't beat OU '04. Not with White, Peterson, Clayton, Bradley, Wilson, Peoples, and Rankins. Too many offensive weapons on our side of the ball, they would have to respect both the pass and the run.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/26/2006, 10:28 AM
I call bull**** on this one. Texas '05 wouldn't beat OU '04. Not with White, Peterson, Clayton, Bradley, Wilson, Peoples, and Rankins. Too many offensive weapons on our side of the ball, they would have to respect both the pass and the run.

This is true, I forgot about Clayton. It's hard to say for me. Even with Clayton, White and Peterson, only one touchdown was scored. That Sooner D was good, but I doubt they would shut out UT's 05 Offense.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/26/2006, 10:32 AM

Hook'em

Looky what I can do!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 10:47 AM
Looky what I can do!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Somebody stepped on Jason White's Third Nerve :D

TJKDone
1/26/2006, 06:47 PM

White is probably the biggest reason that OU '04 isn't even in the same stratosphere with SC '05. Matt L will be in the top 4 picks and play in the NFL for many years to come. He was cool under serious pressure. The same wasn't the case for White in the Orange bowl.

SC's 05 offense might have been the best college offense of all time. Maybe 9 longterm NFL players on that squad. OU '04 not in the same league at all IMO.

Hook'em

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 06:53 PM
White is probably the biggest reason that OU '04 isn't even in the same stratosphere with SC '05. Matt L will be in the top 4 picks and play in the NFL for many years to come. He was cool under serious pressure. The same wasn't the case for White in the Orange bowl.

White wasn't slipping on the turf, dropping passes, and muffing punts.

It's pointless to discuss OU's performance in the Orange Bowl. The first flurry of turnovers was a sucker punch. It had nothing to do with the way OU played earlier in the season or would have played against USC on any other night.

SC's 05 offense might have been the best college offense of all time.

1995 Nebraska was better, for one.

TJKDone
1/26/2006, 06:58 PM
1995 Nebraska was better, for one.

Wrong. The truth will be in the NFL.

Hook'em

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 07:00 PM

Psst...college != NFL

KC//CRIMSON
1/26/2006, 07:05 PM
H. Do you really want to put up with their crap for a whole year if they win it? You think the board is bad now, just wait, we can call it hornfans2.com

Does this sound familiar to anyone?;)

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 07:34 PM
Does this sound familiar to anyone?;)

If it was USC we couldn't put a stop to it in October.

KC//CRIMSON
1/26/2006, 07:36 PM
If it was USC we couldn't put a stop to it in October.

If it was USC we wouldn't have to put up with it on OUr board either.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 07:40 PM
If it was USC we wouldn't have to put up with it on OUr board either.

I bet we would. We have to put up with everybody. We're like the Union Damn Station of college football boards. :D

AzianSooner
1/26/2006, 08:05 PM
With the help of zebra, whornn won their NC. It's like some one holding my pe#*!$ to help me p..@@.

Tuck Fexas.

TJKDone
1/26/2006, 08:21 PM
With the help of zebra, whornn won their NC. It's like some one holding my pe#*!$ to help me p..@@.

Tuck Fexas.

Really hurts Azian:D

We had a shot at the blowout if the instant replay would have just reveiwed Kelson's interception at the end of the first half.:D

God it is fun to mess with Sooners.:D

Just mention that you are a Horn and they are slaves to their undying hatred:D

You guys make CFB fun.:D

Hook'em

BASSooner
1/26/2006, 08:52 PM
Really hurts Azian:D

We had a shot at the blowout if the instant replay would have just reveiwed Kelson's interception at the end of the first half.:D

God it is fun to mess with Sooners.:D

Just mention that you are a Horn and they are slaves to their undying hatred:D

You guys make CFB fun.:D

Hook'em
The university of texas has made college football the best for the oklahoma sooners for the past 5 years. Just not this year. We have loved seeing your players get humiliated, killed, and outcoached by a superior team. Although our team was not this year. we have a far superior program. We actually have coaches that can coach a football game like I said on the other thread.

Harry Beanbag
1/26/2006, 10:41 PM
SC's 05 offense might have been the best college offense of all time. Maybe 9 longterm NFL players on that squad. OU '04 not in the same league at all IMO.

Yeah you're right. I only count maybe 7 longterm NFL players from OU's '04 offense. :rolleyes:

Why are you here? Go back to hornfans and participate in your own celebratory circle jerk.

footballfanatic
1/27/2006, 04:27 PM

Everyone is forgetting that OU pass defense SUCKED in 04. UT couldn't pass--that's why we lost. A&M and OSU put up huge numbers--and USC must have been smiling looking at the film. And sure enough, USC passed at will against the soft secondary.

Desert Sapper
1/27/2006, 04:30 PM
The issue with '05 USuCk was the same issue with '04 OU. Defense. Period. If the Whorns had faced that same NFL defense that we faced in the OB, VY would have gotten a mudhole stomped in his chest. OU's '04 team would have matched up much more favorably against the '05 Condoms. OU looked pretty good in the OB until the most ridiculous series of events I have ever witnessed in a single football game.

I hate all of you whorn trolls for bringing this up.

footballfanatic
1/27/2006, 04:41 PM
The issue with '05 USuCk was the same issue with '04 OU. Defense. Period. If the Whorns had faced that same NFL defense that we faced in the OB, VY would have gotten a mudhole stomped in his chest. OU's '04 team would have matched up much more favorably against the '05 Condoms. OU looked pretty good in the OB until the most ridiculous series of events I have ever witnessed in a single football game.

I hate all of you whorn trolls for bringing this up.

The OU fans are giving USC '04 WAY too much credit to cover up the embarassing performance. SC barely beat Stanford that year, of all teams. OU collapsed emotionally, and then gave up. NO WAY SC was that much better. We'll never know how VY would have done against 04 SC, but if their lack of understanding of the zone read is any indication, he probably would have done just fine.

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 04:43 PM
The OU fans are giving USC '04 WAY too much credit to cover up the embarassing performance. SC barely beat Stanford that year, of all teams. OU collapsed emotionally, and then gave up. NO WAY SC was that much better. We'll never know how VY would have done against 04 SC, but if their lack of understanding of the zone read is any indication, he probably would have done just fine.
Explains nothing. They had one bad game that year whereas this year they had to make miracles coming back to win games about 4 times. You also have to look at the defense that went to the NFL that year.

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 04:44 PM
tatupu, patterson, cody...shall I go on?

footballfanatic
1/27/2006, 04:46 PM
Explains nothing. They had one bad game that year whereas this year they had to make miracles coming back to win games about 4 times. You also have to look at the defense that went to the NFL that year.
This is how collegefootballnews views it:

"To focus on the winning team first, let's say this about Texas: the Longhorns had a chance to crack early on after Aaron Ross' fumbled punt. After all, it was a muffed punt that killed Oklahoma's will against USC in the 2005 Orange Bowl. Credit Texas for not flinching, a teamwide characteristic that remained true even when USC took that late 38-26 lead. By not giving way in the first quarter, Texas set the stage for an even better display of grit in the fourth quarter. Whereas OU allowed Mark Bradley's turnover to sabotage the Sooners' collective mindset last year in Miami--creating a result that was not a reflection of OU's quality throughout the 2004 season--Texas did not let mistakes get into their heads. Given how Mack Brown's evident and substantial improvement as a coach has been linked to his use of a sports psychologist, it makes sense that Texas' psychological profile gave the Longhorns the focus needed to slug it out with USC for 60 minutes. When you don't flinch against the Trojans, you can compete, and it should not be lost on anyone that Troy--with a late face-mask penalty and a timeout snafu in the final minutes--made the final and most decisive mental errors of the game."??

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 04:48 PM
I'm sure ESPN, foxsports, cbssportsline and others view it differently.

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 04:49 PM
That does not mean that they are right, that is just based on opinion

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 04:51 PM
If ESPN had something completely opposite of what collegefootballnews said and I was for it, I would believe it to be right as you believe collegefootballnews to be right.

Big Red Ron
1/27/2006, 05:08 PM

Hook'emWhy do Texans always try to use the NFL as a barometer of how good a COLLEGE team was?

OU's offense in 2000 was almost as good as an ever (Check the stats) but there's only a couple of NFL players from that season. Albeit due to injuries.

footballfanatic
1/27/2006, 05:15 PM
If ESPN had something completely opposite of what collegefootballnews said and I was for it, I would believe it to be right as you believe collegefootballnews to be right.

Fair enough. But I hold collegfootballnews above the others--they aren't on tv filling air with uninformed writers--they only cover college ball and they do so in incredible detail. Plus, they aren't biased towards any one team (USC/ESPN, anyone?) And yes, it's all opinion, but ALL of this mindless opinion, being that the whole premise of this thread is something that can never be proven.

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 05:18 PM
Fair enough. But I hold collegfootballnews above the others--they aren't on tv filling air with uninformed writers--they only cover college ball and they do so in incredible detail. Plus, they aren't biased towards any one team (USC/ESPN, anyone?) And yes, it's all opinion, but ALL of this mindless opinion, being that the whole premise of this thread is something that can never be proven.
True that they are ubiased and show details but anyways, thank you for seeing my point.

footballfanatic
1/27/2006, 05:41 PM

Just to prove your point, about people seeing what they want to see, I spent some time working in England, and I was amazed at how many people there don't believe the US landed on the moon in '69! I felt like I was in the twilight zone.

BASSooner
1/27/2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah it's amazing I went to London about 2 summers ago and yeah the way they see things is different from us.

Desert Sapper
1/28/2006, 09:14 AM
NO WAY SC was that much better. We'll never know how VY would have done against 04 SC, but if their lack of understanding of the zone read is any indication, he probably would have done just fine.

Could you possibly be delirious enough to not see that the guy covering VY was Brian Cushing (https://www.oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=26459).

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/usc/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/241104.jpeg

He was playing in High School last year.

If it had been last year, it would have been Lofa Tatupu (http://www.seahawks.com/PlayersBio.aspx?PlayerID=250).

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img8648338.jpg

In case you are wondering, he is the starting Middle backer for the Seahawks next Sunday. The starting middle backer for the NFC Champs. Do you honestly think he would have had as hard a time containing VY as Cushing did?